Dr Anthony Watson
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: 01912089003
- Personal Website: https://www.linkedin.com/in/antwatson/
- Address: Leech Building Room M4.073
Institute for Cellular Medicine
Faculty of Medical Sciences
My primary role is as a human nutrition teaching fellow in the school of biomedical sciences.
I am a also researcher with an interest in investigating the impact of nutritional interventions upon biological outcomes which could impact acute and chronic cognitive performance, health and healthy ageing. I`m particularly passionate about the design, execution and interpretation of experimental research projects which withstand scientific rigour.
I am also involved in the BBSRC funded Protein for Life project. Protein for life is a collaborative project led by Newcastle University (PI Prof Emma Stevenson) with academic collaborators from The Universities of Bristol, Sheffield, Liverpool and Aberdeen. This project is also supported by seven industry stakeholder partners – Campden BRI, Sainsbury’s, Mondelez International, Bradgate Bakery, Pladis, Nestle and Premier Foods.
Area of Expertise
Nutrition, Ageing, Cognition, Food quality.
- Watson AW, Haskell-Ramsay CF, Kennedy DO, Cooney JM, Trower T, Scheepens A. Acute supplementation with blackcurrant extracts modulates cognitive functioning and inhibits monoamine oxidase-B in healthy young adults. Journal of Functional Foods 2015, 17, 524-539.
- Haskell CF, Watson AW. Cocoa, Blood flow and the Brain. In: Margot Skinner, Denise Hunter, ed. Bioactives in Fruit: Health Benefits and Functional Foods. John Wiley & Sons, Ltd, 2013, pp.367-388.
- Kennedy DO, Veasey RC, Watson AW, Dodd FL, Jones EK, Tiplady B, Haskell CF. Vitamins and psychological functioning: a mobile phone assessment of the effects of a B vitamin complex, vitamin C and minerals on cognitive performance and subjective mood and energy. 2011.
- Kennedy DO, Veasey RC, Watson AW, Dodd F, Jones E, Maggini S, Haskell CF. Effects of high-dose B vitamin complex with vitamin C and minerals on subjective mood and performance in healthy males. 2010.
- McInnes L, Briggs P, Rochester L, Little L, Watson AW, Hopley N. New metrics for exploring the relationship between mobility and successful ageing. Gerontechnology 2010.
- Haskell-Ramsay CF, Stuart RC, Okello EJ, Watson AW. Cognitive and mood improvements following acute supplementation with purple grape juice in healthy young adults. European Journal of Nutrition 2017, 56(8), 2621–2631.
- Wesnes KA, Brooker H, Watson AW, Bal W, Okello E. Effects of the Red Bull Energy Drink on cognitive function and mood in healthy young volunteers. Journal of Psychopharmacology 2017, 31(2), 211-221.
- Lonnie M, Hooker E, Brunstrom JM, Corfe BM, Green MA, Watson AW, Williams EA, Stevenson EJ, Penson S, Johnstone AM. Protein for life: Review of optimal protein intake, sustainable dietary sources and the effect on appetite in ageing adults. Nutrients 2018, 10(3), 360.
- Stevenson EJ, Watson AW, Brunstrom JM, Corfe BM, Green MA, Johnstone AM, Williams EA. Protein for Life: Towards a focussed dietary framework for healthy ageing. Nutrition Bulletin 2018, 43(1), 97–102.
- Watson AW, Okello EJ, Brooker H, Lester S, McDougall GJ, Wesnes KA. The impact of blackcurrant juice on attention, mood and brain wave spectral activity in young healthy volunteers. Nutritional Neuroscience 2018, epub ahead of print.
- Stevenson EJ, Watson A, Theis S, Holz A, Harper LD, Russell M. A comparison of isomaltulose versus maltodextrin ingestion during soccer-specific exercise. European Journal of Applied Physiology 2017, 117(11), 2321-2333.
- Haskell-Ramsay CF, Stuart RC, Okello EJ, Watson AW. Erratum to: Cognitive and mood improvements following acute supplementation with purple grape juice in healthy young adults. European Journal of Nutrition 2017, 56(8), 2633–2633.
- Li L, Lietz G, Bal W, Watson A, Morfey B, Seal C. Effects of Quinoa (Chenopodium quinoa Willd.) Consumption on markers of CVD risk. Nutrients 2018, 10(6), 777.