Professor Emma Stevenson
Prof of Sport & Exercise Science
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 7865
- Address: Institute of Cellular Medicine
William Leech Building
Newcastle upon Tyne
I joined Newcastle University in 2015 to lead the developments in Sport and Exercise Science in the Faculty of Medical Sciences. This includes a new BSc in Sport and Exercise Science (first intake commenced in September 2017) as well as growing the research in the area. My research focuses on nutritional interventions to maximise exercise recovery and the effects of exercise and nutritional interventions on appetite regulation and metabolism. I have a particular interest in the role of milk and milk proteins in exercise nutrition and how they can influence metabolism and energy balance. I completed my PhD in Sport and Exercise Nutrition at Loughborough University under the supervision of Professor Clyde Williams in 2005. Following this, I was a Postdoctoral Research Fellow in the School of Biomedical Sciences at the University of Nottingham.
PhD - Loughborough University (UK)
BSc - Loughborough University (UK)
The Physiological Society
The Nutrition Society
Professionals in Nutrition for Sport and Exercise
British Association for Sport and Exercise Science
Academic Associate, Sport and Exercise Nutrition Register
Google Scholar: Click here.
Particular areas of interest include:
The role of nutritional interventions in exercise recovery
Exercise, nutrition and postprandial glycaemic control
Protein, exercise and appetite regulation with a particular focus on dairy proteins
Nutrition, exercise and and healthy ageing
- Lead Investigator: Protein for Life: Towards a Focussed Dietary Framework for Healthy Ageing (BBSRC £419,970)
- The impact of beetroot on health and cognition in ageing (industry funded PhD programmes)
- MilkIntervention Muscle Ageing (MIlkMAN): pilot study (Newcastle Biomedical Research Centre)
TeachingI currently teach on the BSc in Exercise Biomedicine and will teach on the BSc in Sport and Exercise Science
- Clifford T, Bowman A, Capper T, Allerton DM, Foster E, Birch-Machin M, Lietz G, Howatson G, Stevenson EJ. A pilot study investigating reactive oxygen species production in capillary blood after a marathon and the influence of an antioxidant-rich beetroot juice. Applied Physiology, Nutrition, and Metabolism 2018, 43(3), 303-306.
- King DG, Walker M, Campbell MD, Breen L, Stevenson EJ, West DJ. A small dose of whey protein co-ingested with mixed-macronutrient breakfast and lunch meals improves postprandial glycemia and suppresses appetite in men with type 2 diabetes: a randomized controlled trial. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 2018, 107(4), 550-557.
- Rankin P, Landy A, Stevenson E, Cockburn E. Milk: An effective recovery drink for female athletes. Nutrients 2018, 10(2), 228.
- Granic A, Mendonça N, Hill TR, Jagger C, Stevenson EJ, Mathers JC, Sayer AA. Nutrition in the Very Old. Nutrients 2018, 10(3), 269.
- Lonnie M, Hooker E, Brunstrom JM, Corfe BM, Green MA, Watson AW, Williams EA, Stevenson EJ, Penson S, Johnstone AM. Protein for life: Review of optimal protein intake, sustainable dietary sources and the effect on appetite in ageing adults. Nutrients 2018, 10(3), 360.
- Stevenson EJ, Watson AW, Brunstrom JM, Corfe BM, Green MA, Johnstone AM, Williams EA. Protein for Life: Towards a focussed dietary framework for healthy ageing. Nutrition Bulletin 2018, 43(1), 97–102.
- Rankin P, Lawlor MJ, Hills FA, Bell PG, Stevenson EJ, Cockburn E. The effect of milk on recovery from repeat-sprint cycling in female team-sport athletes. Applied Physiology, Nutrition and Metabolism 2018, 43(2), 113-122.
- Stevenson EJ, Allerton DM. The role of whey protein in postprandial glycaemic control. Proceedings of the Nutrition Society 2018, 77(1), 42-51.
- Monteyne A, Martin A, Jackson L, Corrigan N, Stringer E, Newey J, Rumbold PLS, Stevenson EJ, James LJ. Whey protein consumption after resistance exercise reduces energy intake at a post-exercise meal. European Journal of Nutrition 2016, e-pub ahead of print.
- Brown MA, Stevenson EJ, Howatson G. Whey protein hydrolysate supplementation accelerates recovery from exercise-induced muscle damage in females. Applied Physiology, Nutrition, and Metabolism 2018, 43(4), 324-330.
- Stevenson EJ, Watson A, Theis S, Holz A, Harper LD, Russell M. A comparison of isomaltulose versus maltodextrin ingestion during soccer-specific exercise. European Journal of Applied Physiology 2017, 117(11), 2321-2333.
- Clifford T, Bell O, West DJ, Howatson G, Stevenson EJ. Antioxidant-rich beetroot juice does not adversely affect acute neuromuscular adaptation following eccentric exercise. Journal of Sports Sciences 2017, 35(8), 812-819.
- Clifford T, Howatson G, West DJ, Stevenson EJ. Beetroot juice is more beneficial than sodium nitrate for attenuating muscle pain after strenuous eccentric-bias exercise. Applied Physiology, Nutrition and Metabolism 2017, 42(11), 1185-1191.
- Brown MA, Howatson G, Quin E, Redding E, Stevenson EJ. Energy intake and energy expenditure of preprofessional female contemporary dancers. PLoS ONE 2017, 12(2), e0171998.
- Stone MR, Thomas K, Wilkinson M, Stevenson E, Gibson ASC, Jones AM, Thompson KG. Exploring the performance reserve: Effect of different magnitudes of power output deception on 4,000m cycling time-trial performance. PLoS ONE 2017, 12(3), e0173120.
- Stewart CJ, Nelson A, Campbell MD, Walker M, Stevenson EJ, Shaw JA, Cummings SP, West DJ. Gut microbiota of Type 1 diabetes patients with good glycaemic control and high physical fitness is similar to people without diabetes: an observational study. Diabetic Medicine 2017, 34(1), 127-134.
- Green BP, Stevenson EJ, Rumbold PLS. Metabolic, endocrine and appetite-related responses to acute and daily milk snack consumption in healthy, adolescent males. Appetite 2017, 108, 93-103.
- Clifford T, Allerton DM, Brown MA, Harper L, Horsburgh S, Keane KM, Stevenson EJ, Howatson G. Minimal muscle damage after a marathon and no influence of beetroot juice on inflammation and recovery. Applied Physiology, Nutrition and Metabolism 2017, 42(3), 263-270.
- Briggs M, Harper LD, McNamee G, Cockburn E, Rumbold PLS, Stevenson EJ, Russell M. The effects of an increased calorie breakfast consumed prior to simulated match-play in Academy soccer players. European Journal of Sport Science 2017, 17(7), 858-866.
- Eddens L, Browne S, Stevenson EJ, Sanderson B, van Someren K, Howatson G. The efficacy of protein supplementation during recovery from muscle-damaging concurrent exercise. Applied Physiology, Nutrition and Metabolism 2017, 42(7), 716-724.
- Harper LD, Stevenson EJ, Rollo I, Russell M. The influence of a 12% carbohydrate-electrolyte beverage on self-paced soccer-specific exercise performance. Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport 2016, (ePub ahead of Print).
- Clifford T, Constantinou CM, Keane KM, West DJ, Howatson G, Stevenson EJ. The plasma bioavailability of nitrate and betanin from Beta Vulgaris Rubra in humans. European Journal of Nutrition 2017, 56(3), 1245-1254.
- Clifford T, Wood MJ, Stocks P, Howatson G, Stevenson EJ, Hilkens CMU. T-regulatory cells exhibit a biphasic response to prolonged endurance exercise in humans. European Journal of Applied Physiology 2017, 117(8), 1727-1737.
- Brown MA, Howatson G, Keane K, Stevenson EJ. Adaptation to damaging dance and repeated sprint activity in females. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research 2016, e-pub ahead of print.
- Campbell MD, Walker M, King D, Allerton D, Shaw JA, Luzio S, Dunseath G, Bracken RM, Stevenson EJ, West DJ. Administering a small rapid-acting insulin bolus 3 h after eating a mixed macronutrient meal improves postprandial glucose control, without hypoglycaemia, in people with Type 1 diabetes. In: Diabetes UK Professional Conference 2016. 2016, Glasgow, UK: Wiley-Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
- Campbell MD, Walker M, King D, Gonzalez JT, Allerton D, Stevenson EJ, Shaw JA, West DJ. Carbohydrate counting at meal time followed by a small secondary postprandial bolus injection at 3 hours prevents late hyperglycemia, without hypoglycemia, after a high-carbohydrate high-fat meal in Type 1 diabetes. Diabetes Care 2016, 39(9), e141-e142.
- Allerton DM, Campbell MD, Gonzalez JT, Rumbold PLS, West DJ, Stevenson EJ. Co-Ingestion of Whey Protein with a Carbohydrate-Rich Breakfast Does Not Affect Glycemia, Insulinemia or Subjective Appetite Following a Subsequent Meal in Healthy Males. Nutrients 2016, 8(3), 116.
- Allerton DM, Campbell MD, West DJ, Stevenson EJ. Consuming whey protein before or with breakfast improves postprandial glycaemia in obese men. In: Diabetes UK Professional Conference 2016. 2016, Glasgow, UK: Wiley-Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
- Clifford T, Berntzen B, Davison GW, West DJ, Howatson G, Stevenson EJ. Effects of Beetroot Juice on Recovery of Muscle Function and Performance between Bouts of Repeated Sprint Exercise. Nutrients 2016, 8(8), 1-17.
- Kennedy D, Stevenson E, Jackson P, Dunn S, Wishart K, Bieri G, Barella L, Carne A, Dodd F, Robertson B, Forster J, Haskell-Ramsay C. Multivitamins and minerals modulate whole-body energy metabolism and cerebral blood-flow during cognitive task performance: a double-blind, randomised, placebo-controlled trial. Nutrition & Metabolism 2016, 13(11), n/a.
- Harper LD, Briggs MA, McNamee G, West DJ, Kilduff LP, Stevenson E, Russell M. Physiological and performance effects of carbohydrate gels consumed prior to the extra-time period of prolonged simulated soccer match-play. Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport 2016, 19(6), 509-514.
- Harper LD, Fothergill M, West DJ, Stevenson E, Russell M. Practitioners' Perceptions of the Soccer Extra-Time Period: Implications for Future Research. PLoS One 2016, 11(7), e0157687.
- Fuchs C, Gonzalez J, Beelen M, Cermak N, Smith F, Thelwall PE, Taylor R, Trenell M, Stevenson E, van Loon L. Sucrose ingestion after exhaustive exercise accelerates liver, but not muscle glycogen repletion when compared to glucose ingestion in trained athletes. Journal of Applied Physiology 2016, 120(11), 1328-1334.
- Brown MA, Green BP, James LJ, Stevenson EJ, Rumbold PLS. The Effect of a Dairy-Based Recovery Beverage on Post-Exercise Appetite and Energy Intake in Active Females. Nutrients 2016, 8(6), 355.
- Clifford T, Bell O, West DJ, Howatson G, Stevenson EJ. The effects of beetroot juice supplementation on indices of muscle damage following eccentric exercise. European Journal of Applied Physiology 2016, 116(2), 353-362.
- Briggs MA, Rumbold PLS, Cockburn E, Russell M, Stevenson EJ. Agreement between two methods of dietary data collection in male adolescent academy-level soccer players. Nutrients 2015, 7(7), 5948-5960.
- Briggs MA, Cockburn E, Rumbold PLS, Rae G, Stevenson EJ, Russell M. Assessment of energy intake and energy expenditure of male adolescent academy-level soccer players during a competitive week. Nutrients 2015, 7(10), 8392-8401.
- Gonzalez JT, Green BP, Brown MA, Rumbold PLS, Turner LA, Stevenson EJ. Calcium Ingestion Suppresses Appetite and Produces Acute Overcompensation of Energy Intake Independent of Protein in Healthy Adults. Journal of Nutrition 2015, 145(3), 476-482.
- Campbell MD, Gonzalez JT, Rumbold PL, Walker M, Shaw JA, Stevenson EJ, West DJ. Comparison of appetite responses to high- and low-glycemic index postexercise meals under matched insulinemia and fiber in type 1 diabetes. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 2015, 101(3), 478-486.
- Brown MA, Howatson G, Keane K, Stevenson EJ. Exercise-induced muscle damage following dance and sprint specific exercise in females. The Journal of Sports Medicine and Physical Fitness 2015, 56(11), 1376-1383.
- Gonzalez JT, Fuchs CJ, Smith FE, Thelwall PE, Taylor R, Stevenson EJ, Trenell MI, Cermak NM, van Loon LJC. Ingestion of glucose or sucrose prevents liver but not muscle glycogen depletion during prolonged endurance-type exercise in trained cyclists. American Journal of Physiology Endocrinology and Metabolism 2015, 309(12), E1032-E1039.
- Veasey RC, Haskell-Ramsay C, Kennedy DO, Tiplady B, Stevenson EJ. The effect of breakfast prior to morning exercise on cognitive performance, mood and appetite later in the day in habitually active women. Nutrients 2015, 7(7), 5712-5732.
- Rankin P, Stevenson EJ, Cockburn E. The effect of milk on the attenuation of exercise-induced muscle damage in males and females. European Journal of Applied Physiology 2015, 115(6), 1245-1261.
- West DJ, Campbell MD, Gonzalez JT, Walker M, Stevenson EJ, Ahmed FW, Wijaya S, Shaw JA, Weaver JU. The inflammation, vascular repair and injury responses to exercise in fit males with and without Type 1 diabetes: an observational study. Cardiovascular Diabetology 2015, 14, 71.
- Clifford T, Howatson G, West DJ, Stevenson EJ. The potential benefits of red beetroot supplementation in health and disease. Nutrients 2015, 7(4), 2801-2822.