Professor Helen Foster
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 5548
- Fax: +44 (0) 191 208 5455
- Personal Website: http://www.ncl.ac.uk/gnch/staff/profile/h.e.foster
- Address: Institute of Cellular Medicine
Musculoskeletal Research Group
4th Floor, Catherine Cookson Building
The Medical School
Newcastle University, UK
NUMed Malaysia Sdn Bhd
No 1, Jalan Sarjana 1
Kota llmu, EduCity@Iskandar,
79200 Nusajaya, Johor, Malay
Helen trained originally in adult medicine, adult rheumatology and subsequently in general paediatrics and paediatric rheumatology. She leads active clinical and educational research programmes focussing on identifying barriers to specialist care, and has developed novel educational tools to facilitate earlier diagnosis and referral. There have been numerous research collaborations at international level and an active clinical research portfolio within the NIHR. She is a champion of best practice and an advocate for 'right child, right place, right treatment, right time'. She has represented paediatric rheumatology at a national level for NHS England Specialist Commissioning and contributed to NICE guidance relevant to the specialty.
Trained in adult rheumatology and subsequently in general paediatrics and paediatric rheumatology. Clinical Fellowship Paediatric Rheumatology, Vancouver, 1992-3.
Current Roles and Responsibilities
Clinical Academic role Newcastle University Medical School Malaysia from May 2018
Co-Chair WHO Global Task Force Musculoskeletal Strategy for Children and Young People - Global Musculoskeletal Alliance Bone and Joint Decade - from October 2017
Honorary Consultant Great North Children's Hospital, Newcastle Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
Clinical academic lead paediatric rheumatology Newcastle University, UK
North East and North Cumbria Speciality Lead Paediatrics Clinical Research Network (NIHR) 2014-2017
Clinical Reference Group Paediatric Medicine representing rheumatology - NHS England Specialist Commissioning 2012-2015
Royal College Paediatrics and Child Health Specialist Advisory Committee (CSAC Rheumatology) - sequential roles as Training Advisor, Quality Advisor, Chair - from 2002-2015
Chair EULAR PRES Task Force - Recommendations for Transition in paediatric rheumatology 2014-2016
Scientific and Founding member Arthritis Research UK/MCRN Paediatric Rheumatology Clinical Studies Group (initiative of Medicines for Children Research Network and Arthritis Research UK to develop research strategy for paediatric rheumatology in the UK) - 2009-2014
British Society for Paediatric and Adolescent Rheumatology Board 2007-2013
Paediatric Rheumatology European Society Training and Education Committee - UK representative 2007-2013
Associate Editor Rheumatology journal 2008-2014
MBBS (Newcastle) Hons 1985
Cert Med Ed 2002
Arthritis Research Campaign Clinical Senior Lecturer Paediatric Rheumatologist (2001 - 2007)
NHS Consultant Rheumatologist (1996 - 2001), Newcastle Hospitals NHS Trust
Arthritis Research Campaign Junior Research Fellowship (1989-1991)
Honours and Awards
Barbara Ansell Address - British Society for Rheumatology annual meeting 2018
British Society for Rheumatology Best Model of Practice award 2018 - Rightpath - Paediatric Musculoskeletal Triage in the community. awarded to Newcastle University in partnership with Pennine MSK and South Tyneside NHS Foundation Trust.
Innovation in Rheumatology - Educational research in rheumatology awarded to Newcastle Educational research group - 2007. Award funded by Abbott pharmaceuticals
National Rheumatoid Arthritis Society (NRAS) Patient in Focus award - Independence weekends for adolescents with rheumatic disease awarded to Newcastle paediatric rheumatology team - 2005
"Moving Forwards" - Team award for rheumatology services 2004. Award funded by Wyeth Pharmaceuticals
Hospital Doctor Finalist - 2001
Institute of Cellular Medicine
Faculty of Medical Sciences
Musculoskeletal Research Group M2.124,
2nd Floor Leech Building
Newcastle University, UK
0191 208 8936
The clinical research programme focusses on identifying, describing and understanding barriers and drivers to the 'right care' for children with musculoskeletal problems. Our work has developed within health care in the NHS and we are now developing strategies for the wider health care context in low and middle resource income countries working with stakeholders as co-partners. Strategies for interventions include:
- Developing and evaluating evidence based educational resources targeting learners involved in care pathways for children
- Models of care to optimise interface working to deliver right care for children : to facilitate earlier diagnosis and referral to specialist care as appropriate.
- Use of technologies to facillitate dissemination of key messages to optimise reach and impact of our interventions
We have numerous clinical research collaborations with academic institutions and at national and international levels. Our work has informed Standards of Care, Best Practice, and Models of Care. Awarded BSR Best Model of Practice award 2018 for Rightpath - Musculoskeletal Triage for children in the community.
We have an active NIHR portfolio and are active collaborators with international clinical trials, cohort studies and Registries.
Undergraduate (Newcastle University Medicine Malaysia campus): MBBS
- Personal tutor, supervisor, examiner, lecturer
- Postgraduate teaching (local, regional and nationally): general paediatrics, adult rheumatology, paediatric rheumatology and primary care (locally, regionally and and nationally).
- Educational Supervisor to Higher Specialist Trainees in paediatric rheumatology.
Founder of Paediatric Musculoskeletal Matters - www.pmmonline.org
- PMM launched November 2014, as a free evidence based e-resource. Learning outcomes set at the level of the graduating doctor with additional content relevant to primary care, paediatrics, orthopaedics, emergency medicine. NICE approved 2016.
- PMM-Nursing launched 2017 and Royal College Nursing Endorsed 2018
- pGALS app (v2 2018) including multiple language translations
- Newcastle University platform - e-modules for medical students, primary care and paediatricians
- British Society for Rheumatology - e-modules for adult rheumatology focused on Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis
- McErlane F, Foster HE, Armitt G, Bailey K, Cobb J, Davidson JE, Douglas S, Fell A, Friswell M, Pilkington C, Strike H, Smith N, Thomson W, Cleary G. Development of a national audit tool for juvenile idiopathic arthritis: a BSPAR project funded by the Health Care Quality Improvement Partnership. Rheumatology 2018, 57(1), 140-151.
- Foster HE, Minden K, Clemente D, Leon L, McDonagh JE, Kamphuis S, Berggren K, Van Pelt P, Wouters C, Waite-Jones J, Tattersall R, Wyllie R, Stones SR, Martini A, Constantin T, Schalm S, Fidanci B, Erer B, Dermikaya E, Ozen S, Carmona L. EULAR/PReS standards and recommendations for the transitional care of young people with juvenile-onset rheumatic diseases. Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases 2017, 76(4), 639-646.
- Hanson H, Hart RI, Thompson B, McDonagh JE, Tattersall R, Jordan A, Foster HE. Experiences of employment among young people with juvenile idiopathic arthritis: a qualitative study. Disability and Rehabilitation 2017, Epub ahead of print.
- Kuemmerle-Deschner JA, Hansmann S, Wulffraat NM, Vastert SJ, Hens K, Anton J, Avcin T, Martini A, Kone-Paut I, Uziel Y, Ravelli A, Wouters C, Shaw D, Ozen S, Eikelberg A, Prakken BJ, Ruperto N, Horneff G, Constantin T, Beresford MW, Sikken M, Foster HE, Haug I, Schuller S, Jagle C, Benseler SM. Recommendations for collaborative paediatric research including biobanking in Europe: a Single Hub and Access point for paediatric Rheumatology in Europe (SHARE) initiative. Annals of Rheumatic Diseases 2017, (ePub ahead of Print), 1-9.
- Clement D, Leon L, Foster H, Carmona L, Minden K. Transitional care for rheumatic conditions in Europe: current clinical practice and available resources. Pediatric Rheumatology 2017, 15(1), 49.
- Hart RI, McDonagh JE, Thompson B, Foster HE, Kay L, Myers A, Rapley T. Being as normal as possible: How young people ages 16-25 years evaluate the risks and benefits of treatment for inflammatory arthritis. Arthritis Care & Research 2016, 68(9), 1288-1294.
- Smith N, Rapley T, Jandial S, English C, Davies B, Wyllie R, Foster HE. Paediatric Musculoskeletal Matters (pmm) – Collaborative Development of an Online Evidence Based Interactive Learning Tool and Information Resource for Education in Paediatric Musculoskeletal Medicine. Pediatric Rheumatology 2016, 14(1), 1-7.
- Clemente D, Leon L, Foster H, Minden K, Carmona L. Systematic review and critical appraisal of transitional care programmes in rheumatology. Seminars in Arthritis and Rheumatism 2016, 46(3), 372-379.
- McErlane F, Foster HE, Carrasco R, Baildam EM, Chieng SEA, Davidson JE, Ioannou Y, Wedderburn LR, Thomson W, Hyrich KL. Trends in paediatric rheumatology referral times and disease activity indices over a ten-year period among children and young people with Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis: results from the childhood arthritis prospective Study. Rheumatology 2016, 55(7), 1225-1234.
- Baker KF, Jandial S, Thompson B, Walker D, Taylor K, Foster HF. Use of structured musculoskeletal examination routines in undergraduate medical education and postgraduate clinical practice – a UK survey. BMC Medical Education 2016, 16, 227.
- Denman G, Jandial S, Foster H. Diagnosing arthritis in children. Paediatrics and Child Health 2015, 25(12), 541-548.
- Jandial S, Stewart J, Foster HE. What do they need to know: achieving consensus on paediatric musculoskeletal content for medical students. BMC Medical Education 2015, 15, 171.
- Hart RI, Foster HE, McDonagh J, Thompson B, Kay L, Myers A, Rapley T. Young people's decisions about biologic therapies: who influences them and how?. Rheumatology 2015, 54(7), 124-1301.
- Goff I, Boyd DJ, Wise EM, Jandial S, Foster HE. Paediatric musculoskeletal learning needs for general practice trainees: achieving an expert consensus. Education for Primary Care 2014, 25(5), 249-256.
- Smith EMD, Foster HE, Gray WK, Taylor-Robinson D, Beresford MW. Predictors of access to care in juvenile systemic lupus erythematosus: evidence from the UK JSLE Cohort Study. Rheumatology 2014, 53(3), 557-561.
- Smith EMD, Foster HE, Beresford MW. The development and assessment of biological treatments for children. British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology 2014, Accepted article.
- Coulson EJ, Hanson HJM, Foster HE. What does an adult rheumatologist need to know about juvenile idiopathic arthritis?. Rheumatology 2014.
- Smith EMD, Foster HE, Beresford MW. Adding to complexity: comorbidity in paediatric rheumatic disease. Rheumatology 2013, 52(1), 22-33.
- McErlane F, Foster HE, Davies R, Lunt M, Watson KD, Symmons DPM, Hyrich KL. Biologic treatment response among adults with juvenile idiopathic arthritis: results from the British Society for Rheumatology Biologics Register. Rheumatology 2013, 52(10), 1905-1913.
- Foster HE, Jandial S. pGALS - paediatric Gait Arms Legs and Spine: a simple examination of the musculoskeletal system. Pediatric Rheumatology 2013, 11, 44.
- Mcerlane F, Beresford MW, Baildam EM, Chieng SEA, Davidson JE, Foster HE, Gardner-Medwin J, Lunt M, Wedderburn LR, Thomson W, Hyrich KL, Childhood Arthrit Prospective. Validity of a three-variable Juvenile Arthritis Disease Activity Score in children with new-onset juvenile idiopathic arthritis. Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases 2013, 72(12), 1983-1988.
- Smith E, Molyneux E, Heikens GT, Foster H. Acceptability and practicality of pGALS in screening for rheumatic disease in Malawian children. Clinical Rheumatology 2012, 31(4), 647-653.
- Goff I, Rowan A, Bateman BJ, Foster HE. Poor sensitivity of musculoskeletal history in children. Archives of Disease in Childhood 2012, 97(7), 644-646.
- Foster HE, Kay L, May C, Rapley T. Pediatric regional examination of the musculoskeletal system: A practice- and consensus-based approach. Arthritis Care & Research 2011, 63(11), 1503-1510.
- Goff I, Bateman B, Myers A, Foster H. Acceptability and Practicality of Musculoskeletal Examination in Acute General Pediatric Assessment. Journal of Pediatrics 2010, 156(4), 657-662.
- Foster H, Rapley T. Access to Pediatric Rheumatology Care - A Major Challenge to Improving Outcome in Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis. Journal of Rheumatology 2010, 37(11), 2199–2202.
- Davies K, Cleary AG, Hutchinson E, Foster HE, Baildam E. British Society for Paediatric and Adolescent Rheumatology Standards of Care for children and young people with juvenile idiopathic arthritis. Rheumatology 2010, 49(7), 1406-1408.
- Foster H, Harrison M, Pain C, Symmons D, Baildam E. Delivery of paediatric rheumatology care in the UK-the projected shortfall. Clinical Rheumatology 2010, 30(5), 679-683.
- Abinun M, Flood TJ, Cant AJ, Veys P, Gennery AR, Foster HE, Friswell M, Baildam E, Davidson J, Southwood TR, Livermore P, Wedderburn LR. Autologous T cell depleted haematopoietic stem cell transplantation in children with severe juvenile idiopathic arthritis in the UK (2000-2007). Molecular Immunology 2009, 47(1), 46-51.
- Jandial S, Rapley T, Foster H. Current teaching of paediatric musculoskeletal medicine within UK medical schools – a need for change. Rheumatology 2009, 48(5), 587-590.
- Jandial S, Myers A, Wise E, Foster HE. Doctors Likely to Encounter Children with Musculoskeletal Complaints Have Low Confidence in Their Clinical Skills. Journal of Pediatrics 2009, 154(2), 267-271.
- Foster H, Kimura Y. Ensuring that all paediatricians and rheumatologists recognise significant rheumatic diseases. Best Practice and Research: Clinical Rheumatology 2009, 23(5), 625-642.
- Jandial S, Rapley T, Foster HE. Teaching of paediatric musculoskeletal medicine at UK medical schools – a need for change. Rheumatology 2009, 48(5), 587-590.
- Foster HE, Eltringham MS, Kay LJ, Friswell M, Abinun M, Myers A. Delay in access to appropriate care for children presenting with musculoskeletal symptoms and ultimately diagnosed with juvenile idiopathic arthritis. Arthritis Care and Research 2007, 57(6), 921-927.
- Foster HE, Cabral DA. Is musculoskeletal history and examination so different in paediatrics?. Best Practice and Research: Clinical Rheumatology 2006, 20(2), 241-262.
- Foster HE, Kay LJ, Friswell M, Coady D, Myers A. Musculoskeletal screening examination (pGALS) for school-age children based on the adult GALS screen. Arthritis Care and Research 2006, 55(5), 709-716.
- Myers A, McDonagh JE, Gupta K, Hull R, Barker D, Kay LJ, Foster HE. More 'cries from the joints': Assessment of the musculoskeletal system is poorly documented in routine paediatric clerking. Rheumatology 2004, 43(8), 1045-1049.
- Foster HE, Marshall N, Myers A, Dunkley P, Griffiths ID. Outcome in adults with juvenile idiopathic arthritis: A quality of life study. Arthritis and Rheumatism 2003, 48(3), 767-775.