Dr James Garnett
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Address: Institute of Cellular Medicine
Floor 1 Catherine Cookson Building
The Medical School
Newcastle upon Tyne
Associate Lecturer - Institute of Cellular Medicine, Newcastle University (2015-present)
Head of Exploratory Research Laboratory - Boehringer Ingelheim, Biberach, Germany (2015-present)
Convenor of the Epithelia & Membrane Transport theme/section of The Physiological Society UK (2016 - present)
BSc Hons Biomedical Sciences (Physiology) - University of Aberdeen (2002-2006)
PhD in Respiratory Epithelial Physiology - Newcastle University & Novartis (2006-2010)
Postgraduate Certificate in Healthcare and Biomedical Education - St George's University of London (2014-2016).
Past Research Experience
Research Associate - Division of Biomedical Sciences, St Georges University of London (2010-2012)
Visiting Research Fellow - Cystic Fibrosis/Pulmonary Research Centre, UNC Chapel Hill, USA (Summer 2012/13/14)
Visiting Research Fellow - Institute for Cell & Molecular Biosciences, Newcastle University (2012-2013)
Research Associate - Infection and Immunity Research Institute, St Georges University of London (2013-2014)
Faculty Research Fellow - Institute of Cellular Medicine, Newcastle University (2014-2015)
The Physiological Society (UK)
American Physiological Society
European Respiratory Society
Biomedical Sciences Prize (best final year undergraduate) - University of Aberdeen (2006)
American Physiological Society Cell and Molecular Physiology Research Recognition Award (2014)
Ad hoc reviewer:
Medical Research Council (grants)
Research Foundation Flanders (grants)
The Journal of Immunology
American Journal of Physiology Lung Cell. Mol. Physiol.
American Journal of Physiology Regul. Integr. Comp. Physiol.
Pflugers Archiv European Journal of Physiology
Experimental Cell Research
FEBS Open Bio
I am a Respiratory Lab Leader at Boehringer Ingelheim, Germany and an Associate Lecturer at Newcastle University, UK. I am interested in the role of glucose in the respiratory tract and in particular how it promotes bacterial lung infections in Cystic Fibrosis and CF Related Diabetes. My research focusses on understanding the role played by glucose as a growth source for bacteria, how changes in metabolism alter immune responses and how glucose levels are regulated by the airway epithelium to keep concentrations low. I also retain a strong interest in the role of airway surface liquid pH and epithelial bicarbonate secretion in airway homeostasis. Through my position at Boehringer Ingelheim I have a wider interest in the role of the respiratory epithelium in respiratory disease. I also currently serve as the convenor of the Epithelia & Membrane Transport theme/section of The Physiological Society, UK.
-In vitro airway epithelia-bacteria-immune cell co-culture models
-Bacteria-epithelia/immune cell interactions
-Airway epithelial glucose transport and homeostasis
-Airway surface liquid pH (fluorescence microscopy)
-Intracellular pH regulation
PSC2017: Advanced systems: Heart, Lung & Kidneys
CVR8012: Respiratory and Sleep
Internal PhD Examiner
- Gill SK, Hui K, Farne H, Garnett JP, Baines DL, Moore LS, Holmes AH, Filloux A, Tregoning JS. Increased airway glucose increases airway bacterial load in hyperglycaemia. Scientific Reports 2016, 6, 27636.
- Patkee WRA, Carr G, Baker EH, Baines DL, Garnett JP. Metformin prevents the effects of Pseudomonas aeruginosa on airway epithelial tight junctions and restricts hyperglycaemia-induced bacterial growth. Journal of Cellular and Molecular Medicine 2016, 20(4), 758-764.
- Haq IJ, Gray MA, Garnett JP, Ward C, Brodlie M. Airway surface liquid homeostasis in cystic fibrosis: pathophysiology and therapeutic targets. Thorax 2016, 71(3), 284-287.
- Turner MJ, Saint-Criq V, Patel W, Ibrahim SH, Verdon B, Ward C, Garnett JP, Tarran R, Cann MJ, Gray MA. Hypercapnia Modulates cAMP Signalling and Cystic Fibrosis Transmembrane Conductance Regulator-dependent Anion and Fluid Secretion in Airway Epithelia. Journal of Physiology 2016, 594(6), 1643-1661.
- Powell J, Garnett J, Verdon B, Wilson J, Pearson J, Ward C. A Human in Vitro Model of the Subglottic Airway. Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery 2015, 153(Suppl. 1), P83-P83.
- Helassa N, Garnett JP, Farrant M, Khan F, Pickup JC, Hahn KM, MacNevin CJ, Tarran R, Baines DL. A novel fluorescent sensor protein for detecting changes in airway surface liquid glucose concentration. Biochemical Journal 2014, 464(2), 213-220.
- Garnett JP, Braun D, McCarthy AJ, Farrant MR, Baker EH, Lindsay JA, Baines DL. Fructose transport-deficient Staphylococcus aureus reveals important role of epithelial glucose transporters in limiting sugar-driven bacterial growth in airway surface liquid. Cellular and Molecular Life Sciences 2014, 71(23), 4665–4673.
- Garnett JP. SPLUNC1: link between acidity and dehydration of the airway surface liquid in CF. Thorax 2014, 69(11), 1004-1004.
- Garnett JP, Gray MA, Tarran R, Brodlie M, Ward C, Baker EH, Baines DL. Elevated Paracellular Glucose Flux across Cystic Fibrosis Airway Epithelial Monolayers Is an Important Factor for Pseudomonas aeruginosa Growth. PLoS One 2013, 8(10), e76283.
- Garnett JP, Turner MJ. Controversies surrounding the role of CFTR in airway bicarbonate secretion. Journal of Physiology 2013, 591(9), 2241-2242.
- Garnett JP, Baker EH, Naik S, Lindsay JA, Knight GM, Gill S, Tregoning JS, Baines DL. Metformin reduces airway glucose permeability and hyperglycaemia-induced Staphylococcus aureus load independently of effects on blood glucose. Thorax 2013, 68(9), 835-845.
- Garnett JP, Hickman E, Tunkamnerdthai O, Cuthbert AW, Gray MA. Protein phosphatase 1 coordinates CFTR-dependent airway epithelial HCO3- secretion by reciprocal regulation of apical and basolateral membrane Cl--HCO3- exchangers. British Journal of Pharmacology 2013, 168(8), 1946-1960.
- Garnett JP, Baker EH, Baines DL. Sweet talk: insights into the nature and importance of glucose transport in lung epithelium. European Respiratory Journal 2012, 40(5), 1269-1276.
- Garnett JP, Nguyen TT, Moffatt JD, Pelha ER, Kalsi KK, Baker EH, Baines DL. Proinflammatory mediators disrupt glucose homeostasis in airway surface liquid. The Journal of Immunology 2012, 189(1), 373-380.
- Garnett JP, Hickman E, Burrows R, Hegyi P, Tiszlavicz L, Cuthbert AW, Fong PY, Gray MA. Novel Role for Pendrin in Orchestrating Bicarbonate Secretion in Cystic Fibrosis Transmembrane Conductance Regulator (CFTR)-expressing Airway Serous Cells. Journal of Biological Chemistry 2011, 286(47), 41069-41082.
- Garnett J, Kalsi K, Sobotta M, Bearham J, Carr G, Powell J, Brodlie M, Ward C, Tarran R, Baines D. Hyperglycaemia and Pseudomonas aeruginosa acidify cystic fibrosis airway surface liquid by elevating epithelial monocarboxylate transporter 2 dependent lactate-H+ secretion. Scientific Reports 2016, 6, 37955.
- Powell J, Garnett JP, Mather MW, Cooles FAH, Nelson A, Verdon B, Scott J, Jiwa K, Ruchaud-Sparagano MH, Cummings SP, Perry JD, Wright SE, Wilson JA, Pearson J, Ward C, Simpson AJ. Excess Mucin Impairs Subglottic Epithelial Host Defense in Mechanically Ventilated Patients. American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine 2018, epub ahead of print.
- Ibrahim SH, Turner MJ, Saint-Criq V, Garnett J, Haq IJ, Brodlie M, Ward C, Borgo C, Salvi M, Venerando A, Gray MA. CK2 is a key regulator of SLC4A2- mediated Cl-/HCO3- exchange in human airway epithelia. Pflügers Archiv - European Journal of Physiology 2017, 469(9), 1073-1091.