Professor John Dark
Strategic Research Adviser
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: 44 191 208 5851
- Address: Institute of Cellular Medicine
1st floor William Leech Building
Previously consultant Cardiothoracic Surgeon, Edinburgh 1986-87, Freeman Hospital 1987-2017
I headed the cardiac and pulmonary transplant programme at the Freeman hospital for over 20 years, building it into the most active in the UK, and resumed a lead role in the transplant programme in March 2016.
Clinical interests were in adult heart and lung transplantation, complex aortic surgery, and mitral and aortic valve repair, but I performed the full range of procedures within adult cardiac surgery. I was a consultant cardiothoracic surgeon for over 30 years and previously maintained a very busy and varied clinical workload. I retired from clinical practice at the end of August 2017, but as a result of ongoing research programmes, maintain a close contact with the clinical service in Newcastle, and regularly attend clinical meetings.
Current Roles and Responsibilities
Strategic Research Advisor, Professor of Cardiothoracic Surgery, ICM
National Clinical Lead for Governance, Organ Donation and Transplantation, NHSBT 2012-Present
Qualifications MB.BS 1976 FRCS, Edinburgh, London, 1980 FRCP Edinburgh 1992, London 1995 FETCS 1996
Honours and Awards
Past-President of both the European Society for Organ Transplantation (ESOT) and the International Society for Heart and Lung Transplantation (ISHLT).
Awarded Honorary FRCP Edinburgh 1995, London 2002
Honeyman Gillespie Lecture; Edinburgh, 1988, Sydney Watson Smith Lecture; RCP Edinburgh, 1994, Clement Price-Thomas Award RCS England 1995,Tudor Edwards Lecturer RCS England 1999, Hilary Festenstein Lecturer, BSHI 2014
James lV Professor RCS Edinburgh in 2003, the Mortimer J Buckley Visiting Professor at the Massachusetts General Hospital in 2017 and Visiting Professor, Centre Hospitalier de Universitaire Montreal (CHUM) October 2018I previously chaired the Clinical Reference Group for Heart and Lung Transplantation at NHS England
Extensive experience in clinical and laboratory research, going back over 30 years. Supervision of a number of Mres projects, MD’s and three recent PhD’s, all completed. Recognised as a PI within the Institute of Cellular Medicine, Newcastle University
Research interests centred around clinical heart and lung transplantation, reperfusion injury in the lung and then pathophysiology of brain stem death. We had an active interest in clinical EVLP and I was a PI for the Newcastle-based DEVELOP-UK Trial. Current research is in donor pathophysiology and ex-vivo organ perfusion.
I co-chair Theme 3 of the Cambridge/Newcastle NIHR funded Blood and Transplant Research Unit (BTRU)
Local PI ART, 2008-10, QUOD, 2012 to present, QUOD/MRC Expansion 2017 to present.
Chair of DMP for PITHIA 2017 to present, member of DMP for ARISE 2014-9I recently stepped down from the roles of Associate Editor for both the European Journal of Cardiothoracic Surgery (EJCTS) and the American Journal of Transplantation) AJT).
- Dark JH. “Ex” becomes “in”: A new direction for ex vivo lung perfusion?. Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery 2018, 155(1), 438-439.
- Bayliss CD, Booth KL, Williams R, Dark JH, Gould KF. Managing a Mycotic Thoracoabdominal Aneurysm: The Importance of Molecular Diagnostics. Annals of Thoracic Surgery 2017, 104(5), e379-e381.
- Andreasson ASI, Karamanou DM, Gillespie CS, Özalp F, Butt T, Hill P, Jiwa K, RWalden H, Green NJ, Borthwick LA, Clark SC, Pauli H, Gould KF, Corris PA, Ali S, Dark JH, Fisher AJ. Profiling inflammation and tissue injury markers in perfusate and bronchoalveolar lavage fluid during human ex vivo lung perfusion. European Journal of Cardio-thoracic Surgery 2017, 51(3), 577-586.
- Diamond JM, Arcasoy S, Kennedy CC, Eberlein M, Singer JP, Patterson GM, Edelman JD, Dhillon G, Pena T, Kawut SM, Lee JC, Girgis R, Dark J, Thabut G. Report of the International Society for Heart and Lung Transplantation Working Group on Primary Lung Graft Dysfunction, part II: Epidemiology, risk factors, and outcomes-A 2016 Consensus Group statement of the International Society for Heart and Lung Transplantation. Journal of Heart and Lung Transplantation 2017, 36(10), 1104-1113.
- Ausania F, Hipps D, Manas DM, Haugk B, Dark JH, Jaques BC. Simultaneous liver resection and double cardiac valve replacement. A case report. International Journal of Surgery Case Reports 2014, 5(5), 256-258.
- Dark JH. Interleukin-10 transfection and the donor lung - A still-evolving story. Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery 2018, Epub ahead of print.
- Urban M, Booth K, O'Sullivan J, Dark J. Novel Management of Atrial Septal Defect at Time of Lung Transplantation. Annals of Thoracic Surgery 2018, 106(1), e1-e2.
- Birch J, Sunny SS, Hester KLM, Parry G, Kate Gould F, Dark JH, Clark SC, Meachery G, Lordan J, Fisher AJ, Corris PA, De Soyza A. Outcomes of lung transplantation in adults with bronchiectasis. BMC Pulmonary Medicine 2018, 18, 82.
- Dark JH. Pathophysiology and Predictors of Bronchial Complications After Lung Transplantation. Thoracic Surgery Clinics 2018, 28(3), 357-363.
- Dark JH, Hasan A. Preface: Back to the Future. Annals of Cardiothoracic Surgery 2018, 7(1), 2-2.
- Jungschleger JGM, Boldyrev SY, Kaleda VI, Dark JH. Standard orthotopic heart transplantation. Annals of Cardiothoracic Surgery 2018, 7(1), 169-171.
- Dimarakis I, Banner NR, Rushton S, Wong HSE, Berman M, Howell N, Payne J, Dark J, Mehew J, Venkateswaran R. The interval between brainstem death and cardiac assessment influences the retrieval of hearts for transplantation. European Journal of Cardio-thoracic Surgery 2018, 53(6), 1135-1143.
- Kenny LA, DeRita F, Nassar M, Dark J, Coats L, Hasan A. Transplantation in the single ventricle population. Annals of Cardiothoracic Surgery 2018, 7(1), 152-159.
- Wood G, Booth K, Khan Z, Biss T, Roysam C, Dark J. Descending aortic aneurysm in Wiskott-Aldrich syndrome: options for repair. Asian Cardiovascular and Thoracic Annals 2017, 25(9), 635-637.
- Andreasson ASI, Dark JH, Fisher AJ. Reply to Mohamed S.A. Mohamed. European Journal of Cardio-Thoracic Surgery 2017, 52(3), 607-608.
- Fisher A, Andreasson A, Chrysos A, Lally J, Mamasoula C, Exley C, Wilkinson J, Qian J, Watson G, Lewington O, Chadwick T, McColl E, Pearce M, Mann K, McMeekin N, Vale L, Tsui S, Yonan N, Simon A, Marczin N, Mascaro J, Dark J. An observational study of Donor Ex Vivo Lung Perfusion in UK lung transplantation: DEVELOP-UK. Health Technology Assessment 2016, 20(85), 1-276.