Dr Kate Musgrave
I am a PhD Student working with my supervisor Professor John Simpson as a member of the Respiratory Medicine Research Group. The group works to understand how the innate immune system dysfunctions at times of critical illness.
My PhD involves investigating how monocyte subsets interact with the endothelium during health, infection and sepsis. I am particularly interested in how these interactions affect innate immunity and the coagulation system.
Clinically I work as a Haematology Registrar at Newcastle upon Tyne Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust and I am interested primarily in thrombosis and haemostasis.
Prior to this I completed my pre-clinical medical training at Pembroke College in Cambridge University and my clinical training at University College London.
Mortality from severe sepsis remains unacceptably high at approximately 20%. There is a drive to understand the basic mechanisms of sepsis and for this reason my PhD focusses on the interactions of activated endothelial cells and circulating monocytes subsets.
There are three strands to my work:
1. In vitro culture of primary human microvascular endothelial cells with isolated healthy monocytes
2. Using a model of human endotoxaemia (performed by other members of the group) to investigate early changes to monocyte subsets
3. Investigating the response of monocyte subsets from individuals with sepsis and following their recovery
TeachingI regularly teach Junior Doctors at Newcastle upon Tyne Hospitals Foundation Trust and have assisted in medical student teaching at Newcastle University.
- Mather MW, Musgrave K, Dawe N. Is anticoagulation beneficial in acute mastoiditis complicated by sigmoid sinus thrombosis?. Laryngoscope 2018, (ePub ahead of Print).
- Musgrave KM, Webber K, Murphy P, Avery P, Biss TT. Evaluation of the age-dependent dosing recommendations for the administration of daily tinzaparin in children with thrombosis. Journal of Thrombosis and Haemostasis 2017, 15(12), 2361-2366.
- Musgrave KM, Powell J. A systematic review of anti-thrombotic therapy in epistaxis. Rhinology 2016, 54(4), 292-391.
- Musgrave KM, van Delft FW, Avery PJ, Clack RM, Chalmers EA, Qureshi A, Vora AJ, Biss TT. Cerebral sinovenous thrombosis in children and young adults with acute lymphoblastic leukaemia – a cohort study from the United Kingdom. British Journal of Haematology 2016, Epub ahead of print.
- Alley M, Musgrave KM, Simpson AJ, Kesteven P. Is there any clinical or biological difference that distinguishes recurrence from non-recurrence after idiopathic PE?. In: XXXVI World Congress of the International Society of Hematology. 2016, Glasgow, UK: Wiley-Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
- Langridge A, Musgrave K, Upadhye Y. Spontaneous tumour lysis syndrome secondary to the transformation of chronic myelomonocytic leukaemia into acute myeloid leukaemia. BMJ Case Reports 2016. In Preparation.
- Musgrave KM, Alley M, Simpson AJ, Kesteven P. Use of age adjusted d-dimer monitoring to assist the withdrawal of anticoagulation following unprovoked pulmonary embolism. In: XXXVI World Congress of the International Society of Hematology. 2016, Glasgow, UK: Wiley-Blackwell.
- Musgrave KM, van Delft FW, Clack RM, Chalmers EA, Vora AJ, Biss TT. Cerebral Venous Thrombosis As a Complication of Treatment for Acute Lymphoblastic Leukaemia in Children and Young Adults. In: 56th ASH Annual Meeting and Exposition. 2014, San Francisco, CA, USA: American Society of Hematology.
- Musgrave K, Succony L, Kotecha R. Chronic cavitating pulmonary aspergillosis with lung abscess. BMJ Case Reports 2012. In Preparation.