Dr Malcolm Brodlie
MRC Clinician Scientist, Clinical Senior Lecturer and Honorary Consultant Paediatric Respiratory Physician
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: 0191 2336161 Dect 21752
- Personal Website: http://crg.org.uk/
- Address: Level 3, Clinical Resource Building
Great North Children's Hospital
Royal Victoria Infirmary
Newcastle upon Tyne
I am an MRC Clinician Scientist and Clinical Senior Lecturer in the respiratory medicine grouping, Institute of Cellular Medicine, Newcastle University, where I am a principal investigator with an active children's respiratory group involving laboratory-based airway biology and clinical paediatric respiratory research. Please click on the research tab above and/or see our personal website (crg.org.uk) for further details.
I also work clinically as an Honorary Consultant in Paediatric Respiratory Medicine at the Great North Children's Hospital (GNCH) and the Freeman Hospital in Newcastle upon Tyne. My interests include cystic fibrosis (large regional service with Drs Chris O'Brien, Matt Thomas and Jen Townshend) and cardiopulmonary transplantation. I also have a general respiratory clinic jointly with Drs Mike McKean and Jen Townshend.
BSc (Hons), MB ChB, MRCPCH, PhD
Roles and responsibilities
- Associate Editor BMC Pulmonary Medicine
- Associate Editor BMJ Paediatrics Open
- Member British Thoracic Society Standards of Care Committee 2015-
- Member British Paediatric Respiratory Society Executive Committee (Guidelines Officer) 2015-
- Member Newcastle University Ethics Committee 2015-
- Member Newcastle Joint Research Executive Scientific Committee 2017-
- Member Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health Paediatric Respiratory Medicine CSAC, trainee representative, 2010-13
Areas of expertise
- Paediatric respiratory medicine
- Cystic fibrosis
- Airway inflammation and infection
- Sphingolipid metabolism
- Wellcome Trust Elective Prize, 2000
- Joint Medical Research Council/Cystic Fibrosis Trust Clinical Research Training Fellowship, 2008
- Best oral presentation: Northern Paediatric Research and Development Conference, 2008
- British Lung Foundation Travel Fellowship, 2008
- Cystic Fibrosis Trust Travel Award, 2009
- Best poster: Institute of Cellular Medicine and Institute of Ageing and Health Research Day, 2009
- Best oral presentation: Academic Paediatrics Association, 2009
- Medical Research Council, supplementary travel award, 2010
- European Respiratory Society Bursary for the 8th ERS Lung Science Conference, 2010
- British Paediatric Respiratory Society Travel Award, European Cystic Fibrosis Society Conference, 2012
- Medical Research Council Clinician Scientist Fellowship, 2015
ORCID ID: 0000-0003-4591-8299
Google scholar: Click here.
Respiratory conditions are the most common reason for acute paediatric admissions in the UK and account for more than half of all long-term illnesses in children and young people.
Our programme of research is focused on increasing the understanding of childhood respiratory disease and importantly translating these findings in to the development of new treatments and improved delivery of care for children and young people with lung problems.
Current projects span from laboratory-based basic science to major national epidemiological studies, a brief synopsis appears below. Please also see our personal website crg.org.uk for further details.
Our work is funded by the Medical Research Council, Wellcome Trust, Cystic Fibrosis Trust, Academy of Medical Sciences, United Kingdom Clinical Research Network, Newcastle Hospitals Special Trustees and an investigator-led grant from Pfizer. We welcome contact from any students or potential collaborators who may be interested in working with the group.
Investigating the pathogenesis of CF lung disease to inform the development of new treatment strategies is the major focus of our research. We aim to ask the most clinically meaningful questions possible. Our approach to answer these involves combining innovative experimental techniques with clinical samples from children and people with CF. Current projects include:
- Mechanisms of inflammation and infection in the CF airway - with special emphasis on the role of disordered sphingolipid metabolism (RA, Dr Aaron Gardner)
- Abnormal airway surface liquid homeostasis including the role of non-CFTR transporters (Clinical Research Fellow, Dr Iram Haq; collaboration with Dr Mike Gray)
- Contribution of gastro-oesophageal reflux and aspiration as an airway injury in CF (collaboration with Dr Chris Ward)
- Development of primary airway epithelial cell culture models as a model to study CF lung disease (collaboration with Dr Chris Ward)
Pneumonia, pleural infection and empyema
- Aetiology of community acquired pneumonia in children
- Epidemiology of childhood pleural infection and empyema, including national surveillance
- Collaboration with Dr Matt Thomas; Clinical Research Fellow, Dr Alice Wort
- Study of airway physiology associated with non-invasive respiratory support and high flow nasal cannula oxygen in neonates and young children
- In collaboration with Drs Chris O'Brien (Paediatric Respiratory), Alan Fenton and Sundip Harigopal (Neonatology); Clinical Research Fellow, Dr Zheyi Liew
Asthma and pre-school wheeze
- Systematic reviews of treatments
Collaborators and mentors
- Internal, Newcastle University: Respiratory Medicine: Dr Chris Ward, Prof John Simpson, Prof Paul Corris, Dr Tony de Soyza, Prof Andy Fisher, Dr Lee Borthwick. Epithelial Research Group: Prof Jeff Pearson, Dr Mike Gray. GNCH: Dr Matt Thomas, Dr Mike McKean, Dr Chris O'Brien, Dr Samantha Moss, Dr Alan Fenton, Dr Sundeep Harigopal
- External: Prof Stuart Elborn and Prof Cliff Taggart, Queen's University Belfast. Prof Alain Brunelle and Prof Mario Ollero, INSERM, Paris. Prof Erich Gulbins, University of Essen. Dr Albert Koulman, MRC Human Nutrition Research, Cambridge. Dr Paul McNamara, University of Liverpool
- May 2015: MRC Clinician Scientist Fellowship. £1.3 million
- April 2014: 'INOVCF - Innovative non-CFTR Approaches for Cystic Fibrosis Therapy' Co-Investigator. CF Trust. £750,000
- April 2014: 'CF Trust Clinical Research Co-ordinator' with Dr Simon Doe and Dr Anthony de Soyza
- March 2014: 'The impact of a conjugate pneumococcal vaccine (Prevenar 13) on the epidemiology and aetiology of childhood pneumonia in the North East of England' Investigator-Initiated Study, Pfizer. £300,00
- April 2012: 'Mucus permeating nanoparticulate drug delivery systems' Project Alexander EU FP7. €15.5 million (with Prof JP Pearson, Newcastle University split €830,000)
- Dec 2011: ‘Functional characterisation and pharmacological manipulation of airway sphingolipids in cystic fibrosis’ Wellcome Trust/Academy of Medical Sciences: £29,921.60
- Nov 2011: ‘Functional characterisation and pharmacological manipulation of airway sphingolipids in cystic fibrosis’ Newcastle upon Tyne Hospitals NHS Charity (the Trustees): £24,352.10
- Nov 2011: FSF funding for Dr Jane Falconer, post-doctoral researcher salary. Newcastle upon Tyne Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust: £12,095
- Apr 2009: ‘Investigating epithelial cell and dendritic cell interactions in cystic fibrosis’ Newcastle Hospitals Special Trustees: £50,000
- Jun 2008 ‘The culture of primary bronchial epithelial cells from cystic fibrosis lungs – a model to investigate the role of Interleukin-17 in cystic fibrosis lung disease’ Inaugural recipient of the only personal Joint Medical Research Council/Cystic Fibrosis Trust Research Training Fellowship: £132,084
- Mar 2007 ‘An investigation in to the role of interleukin-17 in cystic fibrosis lung disease’ Newcastle Hospitals Special Trustees: £50,000
I am involved in the clinical teaching of medical students in paediatrics at GNCH.
I am the departmental organiser for undergraduate medical student SSC projects in paediatric respiratory medicine and welcome anyone contacting me who may be interested.
- Grassmé H, Henry B, Ziobro R, Becker KA, Riethmüller J, Gardner A, Seitz AP, Steinmann J, Lang S, Ward C, Schuchman EH, Caldwell CC, Kamler M, Edwards MJ, Brodlie M, Gulbins E. β1-integrin accumulates in cystic fibrosis luminal airway epithelial membranes and decreases sphingosine promoting bacterial infections. Cell Host & Microbe 2017, 21(6), 707-718.e8.
- Haq I, Harris C, Taylor J, McKean MC, Brodlie M. Should we use montelukast in wheezy children?. Archives of Disease in Childhood 2017, 102(11), 997-998.
- Zainal Abidin N, Haq IJ, Gardner AI, Brodlie M. Ataluren in cystic fibrosis: development, clinical studies and where are we now?. Expert Opinion on Pharmacotherapy 2017, 18(13), 1363-1371.
- Scott A, Glasgow A, Small D, Carlile S, McCrudden M, McLean D, Brown R, Doherty D, Lundy F, Hamid UI, O'Kane CM, McAuley DF, Brodlie M, Tunney M, Elborn JS, Irwin CR, Timson DJ, Taggart CC, Weldon S. Characterisation of eppin function: expression and activity in the lung. European Respiratory Journal 2017, 50(1), 1601937.
- Ibrahim SH, Turner MJ, Saint-Criq V, Garnett J, Haq IJ, Brodlie M, Ward C, Borgo C, Salvi M, Venerando A, Gray MA. CK2 is a key regulator of SLC4A2- mediated Cl-/HCO3- exchange in human airway epithelia. Pflügers Archiv - European Journal of Physiology 2017, 469(9), 1073-1091.
- Thomas M, Robertson N, Miller N, Rankin J, McKean M, Brodlie M. Congenital lung agenesis: incidence and outcome in the North of England. Birth Defects Research Part A: Clinical & Molecular Teratology 2017, 109(11), 857-859.
- Simpson K, Brodlie M. How to use nasal nitric oxide in a child with suspected primary ciliary dyskinesia. Archives of Disease in Childhood Education and Practice Edition 2017, 102(6), 314-318.
- Al-momani H, Perry A, Jones R, Bourke S, Doe S, Perry J, Anderson A, Forrest T, Forrest I, Griffin M, Brodlie M, Pearson J, Ward C. Nontuberculous mycobacteria in gastrostomy fed patients with cystic fibrosis. Scientific Reports 2017, 7, 46546.
- Liew Z, Mallikarjuna S, Hasan A, Gould FK, Bunn S, Thomas MF, Lordan JL, O'Brien C, Brodlie M. Successful outcome following pneumonectomy in a teenage boy with cystic fibrosis: a case report. BMC Pulmonary Medicine 2017, 17, 17.
- Haq IJ, Gardner A, Brodlie M. A multifunctional bispecific antibody against Pseudomonas aeruginosa as a potential therapeutic strategy. Annals of Translational Medicine 2016, 4(1), 12.
- Preece CL, Perry A, Gray B, Kenna DT, Jones AL, Cummings SP, Robb A, Thomas MF, Brodlie M, O'Brien CJ, Bourke SJ, Perry JD. A novel culture medium for isolation of rapidly-growing mycobacteria from the sputum of patients with cystic fibrosis. Journal of Cystic Fibrosis 2016, 15(2), 186-191.
- Haq IJ, Gray MA, Garnett JP, Ward C, Brodlie M. Airway surface liquid homeostasis in cystic fibrosis: pathophysiology and therapeutic targets. Thorax 2016, 71(3), 284-287.
- Garnett J, Kalsi K, Sobotta M, Bearham J, Carr G, Powell J, Brodlie M, Ward C, Tarran R, Baines D. Hyperglycaemia and Pseudomonas aeruginosa acidify cystic fibrosis airway surface liquid by elevating epithelial monocarboxylate transporter 2 dependent lactate-H+ secretion. Scientific Reports 2016, 6, 37955.
- Bayes HK, Ritchie ND, Ward C, Corris PA, Brodlie M, Evans TJ. IL-22 exacerbates weight loss in a murine model of chronic pulmonary Pseudomonas aeruginosa infection. Journal of Cystic Fibrosis 2016, 15(6), 759–768.
- Zeybel GL, Pearson JP, Krishnan A, Bourke SJ, Doe S, Anderson A, Faruqi S, Morice AH, Jones R, McDonnell M, Zeybel M, Dettmar PW, Brodlie M, Ward C. Ivacaftor and symptoms of extra-oesophageal reflux in patients with cystic fibrosis and G551D mutation. Journal of Cystic Fibrosis 2016, 16(1), 124-131.
- Brodlie M, Gupta A, Rodriguez-Martinez CE, Castro-Rodriguez JA, Ducharme FM, McKean MC. Leukotriene receptor antagonists as maintenance or intermittent treatment in pre-school children with episodic viral wheeze. Paediatric Respiratory Reviews 2016, 17, 57-59.
- Al-Momani H, Perry A, Stewart CJ, Jones R, Krishnan A, Robertson AG, Bourke S, Doe S, Cummings SP, Anderson A, Forrest T, Griffin SM, Brodlie M, Pearson J, Ward C. Microbiological profiles of sputum and gastric juice aspirates in Cystic Fibrosis patients. Scientific Reports 2016, 6, 26985.
- Garnett JP, Gray M, Brodlie M, Ward C, Baines DL. Airway epithelial cells secrete bicarbonate in response to acidic by-products of pseudomonas aeruginosa metabolism. In: 29th Annual North American Cystic Fibrosis Conference. 2015, Phoenix, Arizona: Wiley-Blackwell.
- Brodlie M, Aseeri A, Lordan JL, Robertson AGN, McKean MC, Corris PA, Griffin SM, Manning NJ, Pearson JP, Ward C. Bile acid aspiration in people with cystic fibrosis before and after lung transplantation. European Respiratory Journal 2015, 46(6), 1820-1823.
- Preece CL, Perry A, Jones AL, Cummings SP, Robb A, Thomas MF, Brodlie M, O'Brien CJ, Bourke SJ, Perry JD. Comparison of various culture media for the isolation of non-tuberculous mycobacteria from respiratory samples from patients with cystic fibrosis. In: 29th Annual North American Cystic Fibrosis Conference. 2015, Phoenix, Arizona: Wiley-Blackwell.
- Brodlie M, Gupta A, Rodriguez-Martinez CE, Castro-Rodriguez JA, Ducharme FM, McKean MC. Leukotriene receptor antagonists as maintenance and intermittent therapy for episodic viral wheeze in children. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2015, (10), CD008202.
- Brodlie M, Haq IJ, Roberts K, Elborn JS. Targeted therapies to improve CFTR function in cystic fibrosis. Genome Medicine 2015, 7(1), 101.
- Haq I, Gopalakaje S, Fenton AC, McKean MC, O'Brien C, Brodlie M. The evidence for high flow nasal cannula devices in infants. Paediatric Respiratory Reviews 2014, 15(2), 124-134.
- Parikh S, Brownlee IA, Robertson AG, Manning NT, Johnson GE, Brodlie M, Corris PA, Ward C, Pearson JP. Are the enzymatic methods currently being used to measure bronchoalveolar lavage bile salt levels fit for purpose?. Journal of Heart and Lung Transplantation 2013, 32(4), 418-423.
- Griffin SM, Robertson AGN, Bredenoord AJ, Brownlee IA, Stovold R, Brodlie M, Forrest I, Dark JH, Pearson JP, Ward C. Aspiration and Allograft Injury Secondary to Gastroesophageal Reflux Occur in the Immediate Post-Lung Transplantation Period (Prospective Clinical Trial). Annals of Surgery 2013, 258(5), 705-712.
- Garnett JP, Gray MA, Tarran R, Brodlie M, Ward C, Baker EH, Baines DL. Elevated Paracellular Glucose Flux across Cystic Fibrosis Airway Epithelial Monolayers Is an Important Factor for Pseudomonas aeruginosa Growth. PLoS One 2013, 8(10), e76283.
- Krishnan A, Perry A, Robertson A, Brodlie M, Perry J, Corris P, Griffin M, Gould K, Forrest I, Pearson J, Ward C. Identical Biofilm Forming Strains of Pseudomonas aeruginosa Occur in Lung Allograft BAL and Gastric Juice from CF Patients with Gastro Oesophageal Reflux. In: ISHLT 33rd Annual Meeting & Scientific Sessions. 2013, Montreal, Canada: Elsevier.
- Liew Z, McKean MC, Townshend J, O'Brien CJ, Brodlie M. Oesophageal foreign body presenting with stridor associated with feeding. Archives of Disease in Childhood 2013, 98(5), 384-385.
- Haq I, Gopalakaje S, Fenton AC, McKean MC, O'Brien C, Brodlie M. The evidence for high flow nasal cannula devices in infants. Paediatric Respiratory Reviews 2013, 15(2), 124-134.
- Borthwick LA, Corris PA, Mahida R, Walker A, Gardner A, Suwara M, Johnson GE, Moisey EJ, Brodlie M, Ward C, Perry JD, de Soyza A, Mann DA, Fisher AJ. TNFα From Classically Activated Macrophages Accentuates Epithelial to Mesenchymal Transition in Obliterative Bronchiolitis. American Journal of Transplantation 2013, 13(3), 621-633.
- Aseeri A, Brodlie M, Lordan J, Corris P, Pearson J, Ward C, Manning N. Bile Acids Are Present in the Lower Airways of People with Cystic Fibrosis. American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine 2012, 185(4), 463-463.
- Brodlie M, Graham C, McKean MC. Childhood cough. British Medical Journal 2012, 344, e1177.
- Brodlie M, Corris PA, Lordan J, Ward C. Interleukin-17 and Cystic Fibrosis Lung Disease. American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine 2012, 185(1), 108-109.
- Bates MG, Nesbitt V, Kirk R, He L, Blakely EL, Alston CL, Brodlie M, Hasan A, Taylor RW, McFarland R. Mitochondrial respiratory chain disease in children undergoing cardiac transplantation: A prospective study. International Journal of Cardiology 2012, 155(2), 305–306.
- Brodlie M, Spencer DA. Omalizumab for the Treatment of Paediatric Asthma. European Respiratory Disease 2012, 8(1), 19-22.
- Gardner A, Fisher AJ, Richter C, Johnson GE, Moisey EJ, Brodlie M, Ward C, Krippner-Heidenreich A, Mann DA, Borthwick LA. The Critical Role of TAK1 in Accentuated Epithelial to Mesenchymal Transition in Obliterative Bronchiolitis after Lung Transplantation. American Journal of Pathology 2012, 180(6), 2293-2308.
- Brodlie M, Flood T, Spencer DA. The importance of thorough investigation of children with wet cough. London, UK: BMJ Group, 2012. Available at: http://adc.bmj.com/content/97/5/478/reply#archdischild_el_10645.
- Brodlie M, McKean MC, Moss S, Spencer DA. The oral corticosteroid-sparing effect of omalizumab in children with severe asthma. Archives of Disease in Childhood 2012, 97(7), 604-609.
- Brodlie M, Abdelgalil S, Mansour S, Spencer DA. Use of somatostatin analogues to treat chylothorax in a child with Generalised Lymphatic Dysplasia. Respiratory Medicine CME 2012, 5, 76-77.
- Brodlie M, Orchard WA, Reeks GA, Pattman S, McCabe H, O'Brien CJ, Thomas MF, Spencer DA. Vitamin D in children with cystic fibrosis. Archives of Disease in Childhood 2012, 97(11), 982-984.
- Borthwick LA, Sunny SS, Oliphant V, Perry J, Brodlie M, Johnson GE, Ward C, Gould K, Corris PA, De Soyza A, Fisher AJ. Pseudomonas aeruginosa accentuates epithelial-to-mesenchymal transition in the airway. European Respiratory Journal 2011, 37(5), 1237-1247.
- Brodlie M, Lordan J, Ward C. Can cells other than Th17 lymphocytes be important sources of IL-17 in the lungs?. Thorax 2011, 66(12), 1096.
- Brodlie M, Lordan JL, Ward C. Ceramide and cystic fibrosis lung disease. American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine 2011, 183(1), 133.
- Brodlie M, Barwick SC, Wood KM, McKean MC, Welch A. Inflammatory myofibroblastic tumours of the respiratory tract: paediatric case series with varying clinical presentations. Journal of Laryngology and Otology 2011, 125(8), 865-868.
- Borthwick LA, Botha P, Verdon B, Brodlie MJ, Gardner A, Bourn D, Johnson GE, Gray MA, Fisher AJ. Is CFTR-delF508 Really Absent from the Apical Membrane of the Airway Epithelium?. PLoS One 2011, 6(8).
- Brodlie M, McKean MC, Johnson GE, Anderson AE, Hilkens CM, Fisher AJ, Corris PA, Lordan JL, Ward C. Raised interleukin-17 is immunolocalised to neutrophils in cystic fibrosis lung disease. European Respiratory Journal 2011, 37(6), 1378-1385.
- Brodlie M, McKean MC, Johnson GE, Gray J, Fisher AJ, Corris PA, Lordan JL, Ward C. Ceramide is Increased in the Lower Airway Epithelium of People with Advanced Cystic Fibrosis Lung Disease. American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine 2010, 182(3), 369-375.
- Brodlie M, McKean M. Exhaled nitric oxide in the diagnosis of childhood asthma. British Medical Journal 2010, 340(7738), 113-114.
- Borthwick LA, McIlroy EI, Gorowiec MR, Brodlie M, Johnson GE, Ward C, Lordan JL, Corris PA, Kirby JA, Fisher AJ. Inflammation and Epithelial to Mesenchymal Transition in Lung Transplant Recipients: Role in Dysregulated Epithelial Wound Repair. American Journal of Transplantation 2010, 10(3), 498-509.
- Brodlie M, McKean MC, Johnson GE, Perry JD, Nicholson A, Verdon B, Gray MA, Dark JH, Pearson JP, Fisher AJ, Corris PA, Lordan J, Ward C. Primary bronchial epithelial cell culture from explanted cystic fibrosis lungs. Experimental Lung Research 2010, 36(2), 101-110.
- Brodlie M, Eger K, Hilkens CMU, Ward C. Airway epithelial cells as guardians of immune homeostasis?. Thorax 2009, 64(11), 1009.
- Ward C, Eger K, Diboll J, Jones D, Haniffa MA, Fisher A, Brodlie M, Lordan JL, Corris PA, Hilkens CM. Bronchial epithelial cells cultured from clinically stable lung allograft patients promote the development of macrophages from monocytes rather than dendritic cells. Thorax 2009, 64(5), 430-435.
- Brodlie M, Spencer DA. Bronchomalacia occurring in monozygotic twins - further information about its inheritance. Acta Paediatrica 2009, 98(9), 1531-1533.
- Brodlie M, Spencer D. Bronchomalacia occurring in monozygotic twins - Further information about its inheritance. Acta Paediatrica, International Journal of Paediatrics 2009, 98(9), 1531-1533.
- Brodlie M, McKean MC. Exhaled nitric oxide in the diagnosis of childhood asthma. British Medical Journal 2009, 339, b5418.
- Brodlie M, Flood T, Spencer DA. Heterogeneity in the clinical manifestations of mannose-binding lectin deficiency. Journal of Pediatrics 2009, 155(5), 764-765.
- Brodlie M, Flood T, Black F, Spencer D. Lymphoid bronchiolitis presenting at birth in an immunocompetent child: Chronic interstitial lung disease of unknown aetiology. Pediatric Pulmonology 2009, 44(6), 622-624.
- Brodlie M, Mckean M. Picture quiz: Dyspnoea and cough in a toddler. British Medical Journal 2009, 339(7730), 1120-1151.
- Brodlie M, Spencer D. Growth recovery after withdrawal of inappropriate inhaled fluticasone proprionate. Pediatric Pulmonology 2008, 43(3), 307-308.
- Chaudhari M, Brodlie M, Hasan A. Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy and transposition of great arteries associated with maternal diabetes and presumed gestational diabetes. Acta Paediatrica, International Journal of Paediatrics 2008, 97(12), 1755-1757.
- Brodlie M, Chaudhari M, Hasan A. Prostaglandin therapy for ductal patency: how long is too long?. Acta Paediatrica, International Journal of Paediatrics 2008, 97(9), 1303-1304.
- Brodlie M, McKean MC. Strategies to screen for adrenal suppression in children with asthma: there is no consensus among UK centres. Thorax 2008, 63(9), 841-842.
- Brodlie M, Cunningham S. Compliance with inhaled corticosteroids is important when considering adrenal suppression. Archives of Disease in Childhood 2007, 92(4), 372.
- Brodlie M, Robertson D, Wyllie J. Interference of electrocardiographic recordings by a mobile telephone. Cardiology in the Young 2007, 17(3), 328-329.
- Brodlie M, McMurray A, Crofton PM, Bath L, Cunningham S. Strategies to screen for adrenal suppression in children with asthma should take account of compliance with inhaled corticosteroids. European Journal of Pediatrics 2007, 166(5), 493-494.
- Harkensee C, Brodlie M, Embleton ND, Mckean M. Passive immunisation of preterm infants with palivizumab against RSV infection. Journal of Infection 2006, 52(1), 2-8.
- Brodlie M, Laing IA, Keeling JW, McKenzie KJ. Ten years of neonatal autopsies in tertiary referral centre: retrospective study. British Medical Journal 2002, 324(7340), 761-763.
- March JB, Clark J, Brodlie M. Characterization of Strains of Mycoplasma mycoides subsp. mycoides Small Colony Type Isolated from Recent Outbreaks of Contagious Bovine Pleuropneumonia in Botswana and Tanzania: Evidence for a New Biotype. Journal of Clinical Microbiology 2000, 38(4), 1419-1425.
- March JB, Brodlie M. Comparison of the virulence of European and African isolates of Mycoplasma mycoides subspecies mycoides small colony type. Veterinary Record : Journal of the British Veterinary Association 2000, 147(1), 20-21.
- Robertson N, Miller N, Rankin J, McKean M, Brodlie M, Thomas M. Incidence and outcome of congenital lung agenesis in the north of England. In: British Thoracic Society Winter Meeting 2016. 2016, London: BMJ Group.
- Ward-Booth ES, Spencer DA, Paton JY, Rushton SP, Brodlie M, Thomas MF. Predictors of primary treatment failure in children with empyema. In: British Thoracic Society Winter Meeting 2016. 2016, London: BMJ Group.
- Wort AS, Gale M, Devine K, Simpson AJ, Sails AD, Spencer DA, Thomas MF, Brodlie M. Viruses associated with community-acquired pneumonia in children – a large prospective study in the post-prevenar 13 era. In: British Thoracic Society Winter Meeting 2016. 2016, London: BMJ Group.
- Calella P, Valerio G, Thomas M, McCabe H, Taylor J, Brodlie M, Siervo M. Association between body composition and pulmonary function in children and young people with cystic fibrosis. Nutrition 2018, 48, 73-76.
- Altmann T, Slack J, Slatter MA, O'Brien C, Cant A, Thomas M, Brodlie M, Annavarapu S, Gennery AR. Endothelial cell damage in idiopathic pneumonia syndrome. Bone Marrow Transplantation 2018, 53(4), 515-518.
- Tissot A, Thomas MF, Corris PA, Brodlie M. NonTuberculous Mycobacteria infection and lung transplantation in cystic fibrosis: A worldwide survey of clinical practice. BMC Pulmonary Medicine 2018, 18, 86.
- Becker KA, Riethmuller J, Seitz AP, Gardner A, Boudreau R, Kamler M, Kleuser B, Schuchman E, Caldwell CC, Edwards MJ, Grassme H, Brodlie M, Gulbins E. Sphingolipids as targets for inhalation treatment of cystic fibrosis. Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews 2018, 133, 66-75.