Dr Shoba Amarnath
Newcastle University Research Fellow
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: 01912085074
- Personal Website: https://blogs.ncl.ac.uk/amarnath/
- Address: Institute of Cellular Medicine
3rd floor William Leech Building
The Medical School
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Tel: +44 (0) 1912082754
Fax: +44 (0) 1912085455
I obtained a B.Sc. in Biochemistry from University of Madras, Chennai, India. I then moved to the University of Hull to pursue a M.Sc in Biotechnology and Molecular Biology. I stayed on in Hull on an Overseas Research Scholarship (ORS) award to continue my PhD with Prof. John Greenman. In 2005, I moved to the National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Institute at the National Institutes of Health, to pursue a post-doctoral fellowship with Dr.Wanjun Chen. In 2007, I joined Dr.Daniel H. Fowler's laboratory at the Experimental Transplantation Immunology Branch, NCI, NIH. During my time at the NIH, the main focus of my research has been understanding the basic biology of regulatory T cells and the various signalling networks that maintain regulatory T cell function. My research at NIH has led to two clinical trials, patents, FOCIS awards etc.
2000- B.Sc. Biochemistry, Madras University, Tamil Nadu, India
2001- M.Sc. Biotechnology & Molecular Biology, University of Hull, Hull, UK
2005- Ph.D Immunology, University of Hull, Hull, UK
2015-Present: Newcastle University Research Fellowship, Newcastle University
2011-2015: Research Assistant Professor, NCI, NIH, USA
2007-2011: Post-doctoral Fellow, NCI, NIH, USA
2005-2007: Visiting Post-doctoral Fellow, NIDCR, NIH, USA
Active collaborators include
Dr. Ethan Shevach, NIAID, NIH, USA
Dr. Sander van-kasteren, Leiden University
Prof. Colin Watts, Dundee University
Prof. Ruth Plummer, Newcastle University
Prof. Penny Lovat, Newcastle University
1. MRC DTP-DiMEN PhD Studentship
2. Springboard Award from the Academy of Medical Sciences
For any lab related resources/protocols please visit our laboratory website at
The research vision of my laboratory is to decipher the intricate immunological networks that regulate immune tolerance in health and disease. Specifically, we focus on understanding how a clinically relevant coreceptor molecule called programmed death-1 receptor (PD-1) dampens T cell and Innate lymphoid cell function. We aim to understand how regulatory T cells and ILC2s are affected by PD-1 signaling and identify key molecules that are involved in these processes. Our laboratory uses in-vitro biochemical approaches and experimental murine models to fully understand these processes in tumour, autoimmune and alloimmune diseases.
I have mentored numerous undergraduate, medical students, clinical fellows at the NIH.
I also lecture on T cells which is part of the curriculum for the M.Res Immunobiology Module
- Stathopoulou C, Gangaplara A, Mallett G, Flomerfelt FA, Liniany LP, Knight D, Samsel LA, Berlinguer Palmini R, Yim J, Felizardo TC, Eckhaus MA, Edgington-Mitchell L, Martinez-Fabregas J, Zhu J, Fowler DH, van Kastern SI, Laurence A, Bogyo M, Watts C, Shevach EM, Amarnath S. PD-1 inhibitory receptor down regulates asparaginyl endopeptidase and maintains Foxp3 transcription factor stability in induced regulatory T cells. Immunity 2018, Epub ahead of print.
- Taylor S, Huang Y, Mallet G, Stathopoulou C, Felizardo TC, Sun MA, Martin EL, Zhu N, Woodward EL, Elias M, Scott J, Reynolds NJ, Paul WE, Fowler DH, Amarnath S. PD-1 regulates KLRG1+ group 2 innate lymphoid cells. Journal of Experimental Medicine 2017, 214(6), 1663.
- Amarnath S, Laurence A, Zhu N, Cunha R, Eckhaus MA, Taylor J, Foley JE, Ghosh M, Felizardo TC, Fowler DH. Tbet is a critical modulator of FoxP3 expression in autoimmune graft versus host disease. Haematologica 2017, 102, 1446-1456.
- Whitehall G, Amarnath S, Muranski P, Keyvanfar K, Battiwalla M, Barrett AJ, Chinnasamy D. Adenosine selectively depletes alloreactive T cells to prevent GVHD while conserving immunity to viruses and leukemia. Molecular Therapy 2016, 24(9), 1655-1664.
- Amarnath S, Foley JE, Farthing DE, Gress RE, Laurence A, Eckhaus M, Metais JY, Rose J, Hakim FA, Felizardo T, Cheng AV, Robey PG, Stroncek DE, Sabatino M, Battiwalla M, Ito S, Fowler DH, Barrett AJ. Bone Marrow-Derived Mesenchymal Stromal Cells Harness Purinergenic Signaling to Tolerize Human Th1 Cells In Vivo. Stem Cells 2015, 33(4), 1200-1212.
- Mitra S, Ring AM, Amarnath S, Spangler JB, Li P, Ju W, Fischer S, Oh J, Spolski R, Weiskopf K, Kohrt H, Foley JE, Rajagopalan S, Long EO, Fowler DH, Waldmann TA, Garcia KC, Leonard WJ. Interleukin-2 Activity Can Be Fine Tuned with Engineered Receptor Signaling Clamps. Immunity 2015, 42(5), 826-838.
- Fowler BJ, Gelfand BD, Kim Y, Kerur N, Tarallo V, Hirano Y, Amarnath S, Fowler DH, Radwan M, Young MT, Pittman K, Kubes P, Agarwal HK, Parang KA, Hinton DR, Bastos-Carvalho A, Li S, Yasuma T, Mizutani T, Yasuma R, Wright C, Ambati J. Nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitors possess intrinsic anti-inflammaotry activity. Science 2014, 346(6212), 1000-1003.
- Amarnath S. c-rel in GVHD biology. European Journal Of Immunology 2013, Vol 43(9), 2255-2158.
- Felizardo TC, Foley J, Steed K, Dropulic B, Amarnath S, Medin JA, Fowler DH. Harnessing autophagy for cell fate control gene therapy. Autophagy 2013, 9(7), 1069-1079.
- Amarnath S, Barrett AJ. Mesenchymal stromal cells:heroes or non-combatants. Cytotherapy 2013, 15(3), 253-254.
- Mangus CW, Massey PR, Fowler DH, Amarnath S. Rapamycin Resistant Murine Th9 Cells Have a Stable In Vivo Phenotype and Inhibit Graft-Versus-Host Reactivity. PLoS ONE 2013, 8(8), e72305.
- Amarnath S, Fowler DH. Harnessing autophagy for adoptive T cell therapy. Immunotherapy 2012, Vol. 4(1), 1-4.
- Vazquez N, Gliozzi M, Feng C, Amarnath S, Orenstein JM, Wahl SM. Modulation of innate host factors by Mycobacterium avium in human macrophages includes IL17. Journal Of Infectious Diseases 2012, Vol. 206(8), 1206-1217.
- Laurence A, Amarnath S, Mariotti J, Kim YC, Foley JE, Eckhaus M, OShea JJ, Fowler DH. STAT3 Transcription Factor Promotes Instability of nTreg Cells and Limits Generation of iTreg Cells during Acute Murine Graft-versus-Host Disease. Immunity 2012, 37(2), 209-222.
- Miller TW, Wang EA, Gould S, Stein EV, Kaur S, Lim L, Amarnath S, Fowler DH, Roberts DD. Hydrogen sulfide is an endogenous potentiator of T cell activation. Journal of Biologocial Chemistry 2011, Vol. 287(6), 4211-4221.
- Amarnath S, Mangus CW, Wang JCM, Wei F, He A, Kapoor V, Foley JE, Massey PR, Felizardo T, Riley JL, Levine BL, June CH, Medin J, Fowler DH. The PDL1-PD1 Axis Converts Human Th1 Cells Into Regulatory T Cells.. Science Translational Medicine 2011, Vol. 3(111), 111ra120.
- Mariotti J, Taylor J, Massey PR, Ryan K, Foley J, Buxhoeveden N, Felizardo T, Amarnath S, Mossoba ME, Fowler DH. The Pentostatin Plus Cyclophosphamide (PC) Non-myeloablative Regimen Induces Durable Host T Cell Functional Deficits and Prevents Murine Marrow Allograft Rejection. Biology of Blood and Marrow Transplantation 2011, Vol.17(5), 620-631.
- Amarnath S, Chen H, Foley JE, Costanzo CM, Solomon MA, Sennesh JD, Fowler DH. Host-Based Th2 Cell Therapy for Prolongation of Cardiac Allograft Viability. PLoS ONE 2011, 6(4), e18885.
- Amarnath S, Flomerfelt F, Costanzo CM, Foley JE, Mariotti J, Konecki D, Gangopadhyay A, Eckhaus M, Levine BL, June CH, Fowler DH. Rapamycin Generates Anti-Apoptotic Human Th1/Tc1 Cells Via Autophagy for Induction of Xenogeneic GVHD. Autophagy 2010, 6(4).
- Amarnath S, Costanzo CM, Mariotti J, Ullman J, Telford W, Riley JL, Levine BL, June CH, Fong T, Warner NL, Fowler DH. Regulatory T Cell Engineered Human Myeloid Dendritic Cells Prevent Xenogeneic GVHD Via Programmed Death Ligand-1. Plos Biology 2010, Vol. 8(2), e1000302.
- Mariotti J, Foley J, Buxhoeveden N, Ryan K, Kapoor V, Amarnath S, Fowler DH. Graft rejection as a type I response amenable to modulation by type II donor T cells via an “infectious” mechanism. Blood 2008, Vol.112(12), 4765-4775.
- AlHamarneh O, Amarnath S, Stafford N, Greenman J. Regulatory T-cells: What role do they play in anti-tumour immunity in patients with Head and Neck cancer?. Head and Neck 2008, Vol 30(2), 251-261.
- Amarnath S, Li D, Liu YZ, Wu Y, Chen W. TGF-b is associated with induction of Foxp3 and regulation of HIV replication in TCR activated human CD4+CD25- T cells. Retrovirology 2007, Vol. 9(4), 57.
- Rao SR, Amarnath S, Molinolo A, Hall B, Goldsmith CM, Zheng C, Larsson J, Sreenath T, Chen W, Karlsson S, Baum B, Kulkarni A. Female mice are more susceptible to developing inflammatory disorders due to impaired TGF-b signaling in salivary glands. Arthritis and Rheumatism 2007, Vol 56(6), 1798-1805.
- Liu YZ, Amarnath S, Chen W. Requirement of CD28 signaling in homeostasis/survival of TGF-beta converted CD4+CD25+ Treg from thymic CD4+CD25- single positive T cells. Transplantation 2006, Vol. 82(7), 953-964.
- Amarnath SMP, Dyer CE, Ramesh A, Iwaugwu O, Drew PJ, Greenman J. In vitro quantification of CD8+ CTL response against hTERT in breast cancer. International Journal of Oncology 2004, Vol 25(1), 211-217.