Dr Sophie West
Honorary Clinical Senior Lecturer
- Personal Website: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Address: Cardiothoracic Unit
Newcastle NE7 7DN
I am a member of the Respiratory Medicine Research Group of ICM.
I am a respiratory consultant at Freeman Hospital (since 2009) and lead the Newcastle Regional Sleep Service.
My research interests are in the field of sleep-disordered breathing, particularly Obstructive Sleep Apnoea (OSA). I completed my MD in Oxford.
I am particularly interested in OSA and type 2 diabetes, diabetic retinopathy and potential novel ways to manage this. I am the chief investigator for the multi-centre UK ROSA trial – Retinopathy in OSA, a study randomising people with type 2 diabetes, macular oedema and severe obstructive sleep apnoea to CPAP (continuous positive pressure therapy) or control to assess if this has any impact on visual acuity. Key people with whom I am collaborating include Professor John Stradling (Oxford), Professor Mary Morrell (Imperial), Dr Sonya Craig (Liverpool) and in Newcastle, Mr Rajen Gupta (Ophthalmology).
I am also the principal investigator leading a cross-speciality group assessing sleep disordered breathing in people with myotonic dystrophy and therapeutic options for them. My co-investigators are Dr Simon Baudouin (Home Ventilation service), Dr Kirstie Anderson (Neurology) and Professor Hanns Lochmuller (Clinical Genetics).
I am the custodian of an expanding OSA Biobank of blood samples from patients with possible OSA attending clinic along with sleep studies to allow future correlation of biomarkers or genetics with OSA severity.
I am a member of the Oxrich Sleep Research group, led by Professor John Stradling (Oxford) and Professor Malcolm Kohler (Zurich). I am a member of the British Thoracic Society Sleep Specialist Advisory Group and recently sat on the Department of Health Sleep working group for Sleep.
ResMed Foundation award US$687,764 for ROSA study 2012-15
ResMed award for Clinical Research Associate for 3 years £178,641 to support ROSA study 2012-15
Newcastle upon Tyne Hospitals Research Capability Funding £30 122 for Assessment of overnight ventilation and daytime sleepiness in patients with myotonic dystrophy, April 2012 for 1 year.
I teach undergraduate medical students, including the Clinical Experience Bank, FOCP, and CIDR.
I am a tutor on the Modernising Scientific Careers MSc course.
Current MD student: Dr Ben Prudon
- Aujayeb A, Russell A, Walton K, Samuel J, Waugh S, Valappil M, Fagg R, Gray S, West S, Meachery G. Influenza: an outbreak in a UK respiratory centre. British Journal of Nursing 2013, 22(21), 1206-1206.
- Prudon B, Roddy E, Stradling JR, West SD. Serum urate levels are unchanged with continuous positive airway pressure therapy for obstructive sleep apnea: a randomized controlled trial. Sleep Medicine 2013, 14(12), 1419-1421.
- West S, Prudon B. Sleep medicine - prevalent and relevant. Clinical Medicine 2013, 13(5), 492-494.
- Mason RH, West SD, Kiire CA, Groves DC, Lipinski HJ, Jaycock A, Chong VN, Stradling JR. High Prevalence of Sleep Disordered Breathing in Patients With Diabetic Macular Edema. Retina 2012, 32(9), 1791-1798.
- West SD, Stradling JR. CPAP therapy: Results of randomized controlled trials in obstructive sleep apnea. In: Allan I. Pack, ed. Sleep Apnea: Pathogenesis, Diagnosis and Treatment. London: Informa Healthcare, 2011.
- West SD. Disorders of sleep. In: Patrick Davey and David Sprigings, ed. Oxford Diagnosis and Treatment in Internal Medicine. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2011.
- Clarenbach CF, West SD, Kohler M. Is obstructive sleep apnea a risk factor for diabetes?. Discovery Medicine 2011, 12(62), 17-24.
- Haja Mydin H, West SD. Obstructive sleep apnoea and driving. British Journal of Hospital Medicine 2011, 72(7), 366-367.
- Kohler M, West SD, Stradling J. Diabetes in obstructive sleep apnea. American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine 2010, 182(2), 286-287.
- West SD, Groves DC, Lipinski HJ, Nicoll DJ, Mason RH, Scanlon PH, Stradling JR. The prevalence of retinopathy in men with Type 2 diabetes and obstructive sleep apnoea. Diabetic Medicine 2010, 27(4), 423-430.
- West SD, McBeath HA, Stradling JR. Obstructive sleep apnoea in adults. BMJ 2009, 338, b1165.
- Brown K, Lee-Chiong T, Chapman S, Robinson G, Stradling J, West S. Oxford Handbook of Pulmonary Medicine. New York; Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2009.
- Chapman S, Robinson G, Stradling J, West S. Oxford Handbook of Respiratory Medicine. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2009.
- West SD, Kohler M, Nicoll DJ, Stradling JR. The effect of continuous positive airway pressure treatment on physical activity in patients with obstructive sleep apnoea: A randomised controlled trial. Sleep Medicine 2009, 10(9), 1056-1058.
- West SD, Nicoll DJ, Wallace TM, Matthews DR, Stradling JR. Effect of CPAP on insulin resistance and HbA1c in men with obstructive sleep apnoea and type 2 diabetes. Thorax 2007, 62, 969-974.
- West SD, Jones DR, Stradling JR. Comparison of three ways to determine and deliver pressure during nasal CPAP therapy for obstructive sleep apnoea. Thorax 2006, 61(3), 226-231.
- West SD, Lee YCG. Management of Malignant Pleural Mesothelioma. Clinics in Chest Medicine 2006, 27(2), 335-354.
- West SD, Foord T, Davies RJO. Needle-track metastases and prophylactic radiotherapy for mesothelioma. Respiratory Medicine 2006, 100(6), 1037-1040.
- West SD, Nicoll DJ, Stradling JR. Prevalence of obstructive sleep apnoea in men with type 2 diabetes. Thorax 2006, 61(11), 945-950.
- West SD, Stradling JR. Sleep apnea: overview. In: Geoffrey J. Laurent and Steven D. Shapiro, ed. Encyclopedia of Respiratory Medicine. Amsterdam; Boston: Elsevier, 2006, pp.42-46.
- West S, Segal H, Harrison P, Stradling J. Platelet function (measured by Platelet Function Analyser - 100) and obstructive sleep apnoea. Journal of Sleep Research 2005, 14(3), 325-327.
- West SD, Davies RJO, Lee YCG. Pleurodesis for malignant pleural effusions: current controversies and variations in practices. Current Opinion in Pulmonary Medicine 2004, 10(4), 305-310.
- West SD, Brunskill NJ. Complications associated with influenza infection. Postgraduate Medical Journal 2002, 78, 107-108.
- Prudon B, West S. Obstructive sleep apnoea: under recognised, under appreciated. Clincal Focus: Primary Care 2014, 8(2), 110-110.
- Prudon B, Hughes J, West S. A novel postal-based approach to diagnosing obstructive sleep apnoea in a high-risk population. Sleep Medicine 2017, 33, 1-5.
- West SD, Hughes J, Prudon B. Baseline Data From The Rosa Trial: A Randomised Controlled Trial Of The Effect Of Cpap On Diabetic Macular Oedema In People With Concurrent Obstructive Sleep Apnoea. In: American Thoracic Society 2016 International Conference. 2016, San Francisco: American Thoracic Society.
- West SD, Turnbull C. Eye disorders associated with obstructive sleep apnoea. Current Opinion in Pulmonary Medicine 2016, 22(6), 595-601.
- Khetarpal A, Anderson K, West S. Falling asleep while driving: is driving safety advice given to patients with excessive daytime sleepiness?. In: British Thoracic Society Winter Meeting 2016. 2016, London: BMJ Group.
- Palmer EL, West S. Survey of the new driver and vehicle licensing authority (DVLA) guidance for obstructive sleep apnoea (OSA): UK sleep centres opinion. In: British Thoracic Society Winter Meeting 2016. 2016, London: BMJ Group.
- West S, Sharrock R, Baudouin S. Variations in practice across the UK in the pre-operative screening for obstructive sleep apnea. Journal of Sleep Research 2016, 25(2), 248-248.
- Murphy CJ, Gosh D, West S. Clinical use of Adaptive Servo-Ventilation across the UK: Results of a Postal Survey. In: British Thoracic Society Winter Meeting 2015. 2015, London, UK: BMJ Group.
- Wiscombe S, Newton J, Day C, Gibson J, West S. Obstructive sleep apnoea is common in adults with biopsy-proven non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. Sleep Medicine 2015, 16(8), 1026.
- Atalaia A, Wood L, West S, Anderson K, Turner C, Hilton-Jones D, Lochmuller H. Fatigue and excessive daytime sleepiness in the UK Myotonic Dystrophy Patient Registry. In: 22nd Congress of the European Sleep Research Society. 2014, Tallinn, Estonia: Wiley-Blackwell Publishing Ltd.