Dr Terry Aspray
Honorary Clinical Senior Lecturer
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 223 1027
- Address: Bone Clinic
Newcastle upon Tyne
Roles and Responsibilities
Member (past secretary) Board of Examiners, Confederation of Royal Colleges SCE (Geriatric Medicine)
CPD Advisor Confederation of Royal Colleges for Geriatric Medicine
MB BS (Newcastle) 1986
MD (Newcastle) 2002
1996-99 Lecturer in Epidemiology and Public Health, Department of Medicine, University of Newcastle upon Tyne
1994-96 First Assistant and Senior Registrar, Department of Geriatric and General Medicine, Newcastle upon Tyne Hospitals
February 1991-94 Sandoz Research Fellow, MRC Dunn Nutrition Unit, Cambridge University and The Gambia, West Africa
My main research interests are in the musculoskeletal health of older people, particularly the frail. I have also worked in low and middle-income countries on chronic diseases and their management
Vitamin D in Older People (VDOP)
Chief invstigator: Dr T. Aspray, Prof R. Francis, Prof. E. McColl, Dr T. Chadwick, Dr I. Schoenmakers, Dr A. Prentice, Dr G. Goldberg
Health Needs Assessment of Diabetes Care in Newcastle Care homes
July 2003 – June 2004
Chief invstigator: Dr T. Aspray, Dr T. Cassidy, Dr G. Hawthorne
Health Needs Assessment of Osteoporosis in Newcastle Care homes
January 2001 – October 2003
Chief invstigator: Dr T. Aspray, Dr R.M. Francis, Dr P. Stevenson. Small grant from Industry
Randomised Trial of a Nurse led clinic to promote use of calcium/vitamin D supplements in women aged over 70
July 2000 – June 2004
Collaborator: Dr D. Torgerson, Dr T. Aspray, Dr R.M. Francis, Sr A. Sutcliffe, , Dr I. Watt
Urbanisation and Metabolic Outcomes Study in Tanzania
September 1999 – January 2002 (Pilot Phase)
Collaborator: Prof. Sir George Alberti, Dr T. Aspray, Dr N. Unwin, Prof. M. Walker
Essential Non-communicable Disease Inervention Project (ENHIP)
April 1995 – March 2001
Collaborator: Prof. G. Alberti, Dr T. Aspray, Dr J. Mbanya, Dr F. Mugusi, Dr N. Unwin, Mr D. Whiting
I teach students throughout their training, predominently in their third and fifth year clinical attachments.
I have been an examiner for MB BS and BDS in Newcaslte for more than 12 years.
Programme Leader for the MRes MMB (Ageing and Health)
Module Leader for Ageing and Health (MRes MMB)
Convenor MCR 8020 Ageing and Health e-learning module
- Tuck S, Little EA, Aspray TJ. Implications of guidelines for osteoporosis and its treatment. Age and Ageing 2018, 47(3), 334-339.
- Whybrow P, Moffatt S, Kay L, Thompson B, Aspray T, Duncan R. Assessing the need for arthritis training among paid carers in UK residential care homes: A focus group and interview study. Musculoskeletal Care 2017, 1-8.
- Dunbar J, Aspray TJ. Can orthogeriatics do more than save lives?. Age and Ageing 2017, 46(2), 164-167.
- Schoenmakers I, Assar S, Aspray T, Prentice A, Jones K. Half-life of 25(OH) Vitamin D3 is Not Influenced by Vitamin D Supplementation Dose. In: ASBMR Annual Meeting, 2017. 2017, Denver: JBMR. In Preparation.
- Metcalf LM, Aspray TJ, McCloskey EV. The effects of parathyroid hormone peptides on the peripheral skeleton of postmenopausal women. A systematic review. Bone 2017, 99, 39-46.
- Sleeman I, Aspray T, Lawson RA, Coleman S, Duncan GW, Khoo TK, Schoenmakers I, Barker R, Rochester R, Burn DJ, Yarnall AJ. The Role of Vitamin D in Disease Progression in Early Parkinson’s Disease. Journal of Parkinson's Disease 2017, 7(4), 669-675.
- Hill TR, Aspray TJ. The role of vitamin D in maintaining bone health in older people. Therapeutic Advances in Musculoskeletal Disease 2017, 9(4), 89-95.
- Hill TR, Aspray TJ. Vitamin D prescribing in older people in the UK depends on postcode. Maturitas 2017, 99, 109-113.
- Aspray TJ. Calcium: Basic Nutritional Aspects. In: Collins JF, ed. Molecular, Genetic, and Nutritional Aspects of Major and Trace Minerals. London: Elsevier Inc, 2016, pp.45-57.
- Whybrow P, Moffatt S, Kay L, Thompson B, Aspray T, Duncan R. Identifying care workers' educational needs about arthritis. 2016, Oxford University Press.
- Ozalp B, Aspray TJ. Orthogeriatric medicine and fracture liaison going from strength to strength. Age and Ageing 2016, 45(2), 180-181.
- Aspray TJ, Francis RM, McColl E, Chadwick T, Stamp E, Prentice A, Schoenmakers I. Vitamin D supplementation for 12 months in older people prevents bone loss and suppresses parathyroid hormone levels. In: 43rd Annual European Calcified Tissue Society Congress. 2016, Rome, Italy: ECTS.
- Granic A, Aspray T, Hill T, Davies K, Collerton J, Martin-Ruiz C, von Zglinicki T, Kirkwood TB, Mathers JC, Jagger C. 25-hydroxyvitamin D and increased all-cause mortality in very old women: the Newcastle 85+ study. Journal of Internal Medicine 2015, 277(4), 456-467.
- Aspray TJ. Fragility fracture: recent developments in risk assessment. Therapeutic Advances in Musculoskeletal Disease 2015, 7(1), 17-25.
- Francis RM, Aspray TJ, Bowring CE, Fraser WD, Gittoes NJ, Javaid MK, Macdonald HM, Patel S, Selby PL, Tanna N. National Osteoporosis Society practical clinical guideline on vitamin D and bone health. Maturitas 2015, 80(2), 119-121.
- Verlaan S, Aspray T, Bauer JM, Cederholm T, Hemsworth J, Hill TR, McPhee JS, Piasecki M, Seal CJ, Sieber CC, terBorg S, Wijers SL, Brandt K. Nutritional status, body composition, and quality of life in community-dwelling sarcopenic and non-sarcopenic older adults: A case-control study. Clinical Nutrition 2017, 36(1), 267-274.
- Cooles FAH, Pratt AG, Lendrem DW, Ng WF, Aspray TJ, Isaacs JD. Retrospective analysis of the role of serum vitamin D in early rheumatic disease. Rheumatology 2015, 54(2), 374-375.
- Aspray TJ, Bowring C, Fraser W, Gittoes N, Javaid MK, Macdonald H, Patel S, Selby P, Tanna N, Francis RM. National Osteoporosis Society Vitamin D Guideline Summary. Age and Ageing 2014, 43(5), 592-595.
- Cooles FAH, Pratt AG, Lendrem DW, Ng W-F, Aspray TJ, Isaacs JD. Retrospective analysis of the role of serum vitamin D in early rheumatic disease. Rheumatology 2014.
- Macdonald H, Aspray TJ. Vitamin D supplements and bone mineral density. The Lancet 2014, 383(9925), 1292-1292.
- Granic A, Kirkwood T, Davies K, Collerton J, Hill T, Martin-Ruiz C, vonZglinicki T, Aspray T, Mathers JC, Jagger C. 25-hydroxyvitamin D and increased risk of all-cause mortality in very old women: The Newcastle 85+ study. In: UK Molecular Epidemiology Group (MEG) Winter Meeting on The Future of Epidemiology: Biomarkers meet Populations. 2013, Newcastle University: Oxford University Press.
- Aspray TJ. New horizons in fracture risk assessment. Age and Ageing 2013, 42(5), 548-554.
- Cooles FAH, Pratt AG, Ng WF, Aspray TJ, Isaacs JD. The Effect Of Vitamin D On Early Rheumatoid Arthritis: A Retrospective Cohort Analysis. In: ACR/ARHP Annual Meeting 2013. 2013, San Diego, CA, USA: Wiley-Blackwell.
- Schoenmakers I, Francis RM, McColl E, Chadwick T, Goldberg GR, Harle C, Yarnall A, Wilkinson J, Parker J, Prentice A, Aspray T. Vitamin D supplementation in older people (VDOP): Study protocol for a randomised controlled intervention trial with monthly oral dosing with 12,000 IU, 24,000 IU or 48,000 IU of vitamin D3. Trials 2013, 14, 299.
- Aspray TJ, Francis RM. What can we learn about vitamin D requirements from post-mortem data?. Osteoporosis International 2013, 24(5), 1769-1770.
- Aspray TJ, Francis RM. Combined vitamin D and calcium supplementation may reduce fracture risk in institutionalised older people but has uncertain role in cancer prevention. Evidence-Based Medicine 2012, 17(6), 185-186.
- Yarnall AJ, Hayes L, Hawthorne GC, Candlish CA, Aspray TJ. Diabetes in care homes: current care standards and residents' experience. Diabetic Medicine 2012, 29(1), 132-135.
- Sunny SS, Burns A, Jary H, Aspray T, De Soyza A. Osteoporosis in Non-Cystic Fibrosis Bronchiectasis (NCFBr) Adults. In: British Thoracic Society Winter Meeting. 2012, London, UK: BMJ Publishing Group.
- Haighton C, Moffatt S, Howel D, McColl E, Milne E, Deverill M, Rubin G, Aspray T, White M. The Do-Well study: protocol for a randomised controlled trial, economic and qualitative process evaluations of domiciliary welfare rights advice for socio-economically disadvantaged older people recruited via primary health care. BMC Public Health 2012, 12(1), 382.
- Aspray TJ, Francis RM. Treatment of osteoporosis in women intolerant of oral bisphosphonates. Maturitas 2012, 71(1), 76-78.
- Aspray TJ, Francis RM. Treatment of osteoporosis in women intolerant of oral bisphosphonates. Maturitas 2012, 71(1), 76-78.
- Aspray TJ, Francis RM. Calcium and vitamin D supplementation and cardiovascular disease: quo vadis?. Maturitas 2011, 69(4), 285-286.
- Yarnall AJ, Hayes L, Hawthorne GC, Candlish C, Aspray TJ. Diabetes in care homes: Residents' experience of care. In: Age and Ageing: Communications to the British Geriatrics Society Spring Meeting. 2011, Liverpool: Oxford University Press.
- Sinclair A, Aspray TJ, Others AND. Good clinical practice guidelines for care home residents with diabetes: an executive summary. Diabetic Medicine 2011, 28(7), 772-777.
- Aspray TJ, Francis RM. Here comes the sun: good news for bone health!. Age and Ageing 2011, 40(2), 146-147.
- Mayne D, Stout NR, Aspray TJ. Diabetes, falls and fractures. Age and Ageing 2010, 39(5), 522-525.
- Unwin N, McLarty D, Machibya H, Aspray T, Tamin B, Carlin L, Patel S, Walker M, Alberti KGMM. Changes in blood pressure and lipids associated with rural to urban migration in Tanzania. Journal of Human Hypertension 2006, 20(9), 704-706.
- Aspray TJ, Nesbit K, Cassidy TP, Farrow E, Hawthorne G. Diabetes in British nursing and residential homes: A pragmatic screening study. Diabetes Care 2006, 29(3), 707-708.
- Aspray TJ, Francis RM. Fracture prevention in care home residents: Is vitamin D supplementation enough?. Age and Ageing 2006, 35(5), 455-456.
- Aspray TJ, Stevenson P, Abdy SE, Rawlings DJ, Holland T, Francis RM. Low bone mineral density measurements in care home residents - a treatable cause of fractures. Age and Ageing 2006, 35(1), 37-41.
- Brankin E, Walker M, Lynch N, Aspray T, Lis Y, Cowell W. The impact of dosing frequency on compliance and persistence with bisphosphonates among postmenopausal women in the UK: Evidence from three databases. Current Medical Research and Opinion 2006, 22(7), 1249-1256.
- Aspray TJ. Diabetes in later life. Reviews in Clinical Gerontology 2005, 15(1), 27-38.
- Aspray TJ, Yan L, Prentice A. Parathyroid hormone and rates of bone formation are raised in perimenopausal rural Gambian women. Bone 2005, 36(4), 710-720.
- Porthouse J, Cockayne S, King C, Saxon L, Steele E, Aspray T, Baverstock M, Birks Y, Dumville J, Francis R, Iglesias C, Puffer S, Sutcliffe A, Watt I, Torgerson DJ. Randomised controlled trial of calcium and supplementation with cholecalciferol (vitamin D3) for prevention of fractures in primary care. British Medical Journal 2005, 330(7498), 1003-1008.
- Aspray TJ. The use of verbal autopsy in attributing cause of death from epilepsy. Epilepsia 2005, 46(11), 15-17.
- MacIntyre E, Neely D, Aspray T, Quinton R. Chronic, severe osteomalacia with hypocalcaemia: I. Standard doses of Vitamin D replacement may be inadequate. II. Plasma PTH level is a sensitive and reliable marker of treatment response. In: 12th International Congress of Endocrinology Poster Presentation: Series A, Calcium Bone. 2004, Lisbon, Portugal.
- Sobngwi E, Mbanya J-C, Unwin NC, Porcher R, Kengne A-P, Fezeu L, Minkoulou EM, Tournoux C, Gautier J-F, Aspray TJ, Alberti K. Exposure over the life course to an urban environment and its relation with obesity, diabetes, and hypertension in rural and urban Cameroon. International Journal of Epidemiology 2004, 33(4), 769-776.
- Aspray TJ, Stevenson P, Abdy SE, Rawlings DJ, Holland TM, Francis RM. Low bone mineral density measurements in care home residents - a treatable cause of fractures. In: 10th Conference of the National Osteoporosis Society. 2004, Harrogate, England: Osteoporosis International: Springer.
- Porthouse J, Cockayne S, King C, Saxon L, Steele E, Aspray T, Baverstock M, Dumville J, Francis RM, Iglesias C, Miles J, Puffer S, Sutcliffe A, Torgerson DJ, Watt I. Randomised controlled trial of calcium and vitamin D supplementation for fracture prevention in primary care. In: 10th Conference of the National Osteoporosis Society. 2004, Harrogate, England: Osteoporosis International: Springer.
- Sobngwi E, Mbanya JCN, Unwin NC, Kengne AP, Fezeu L, Minkoulou EM, Aspray TJ, Alberti KGMM. Physical activity and its relationship with obesity, hypertension and diabetes in urban and rural Cameroon. International Journal of Obesity 2002, 26(7), 1009-1016.
- Aspray TJ. Purity, pragmatism and hip protector pads. Age and Ageing 2002, 31(4), 319-320.
- Carlin L, Aspray T, Edwards R, Hayes L, Kitange H, Unwin N, Populations and the Health of in Transition Research Group. Civilisation and its discontents: non-communicable disease, metabolic syndrome and rural-urban migration in Tanzania. Urban Anthropology 2001, 30, 51-70.
- Carlin L, Aspray T, Edwards R, Hayes L, Kitange H, Unwin N. Civilization and its discontents: Non-communicable disease, metabolic syndrome and rural-urban migration in Tanzania. Urban Anthropology and Studies of Cultural Systems and World Economic Development 2001, 30(1), 51-70.
- Sobngwi E, Mbanya JCN, Unwin NC, Aspray TJ, Alberti KGMM. Development and validation of a questionnaire for the assessment of physical activity in epidemiological studies in Sub-Saharan Africa. International Journal of Epidemiology 2001, 30(6), 1361-1368.
- Aspray TJ, Unwin N. Diabetes in sub-Saharan Africa. In: Diabetes and Cardiovascular Disease: Etiology, Treatment, and Outcomes. 2001, Winnipeg, Canada: Springer.
- Unwin N, Setel P, Rashid S, Mugusi F, Mbanya JC, Kitange H, Hayes L, Edwards R, Aspray T, Alberti KG. Noncommunicable diseases in sub-Saharan Africa: where do they feature in the health research agenda?. Bulletin of the World Health Organization 2001, 79(10), 947-953.
- Edwards R, Unwin N, Mugusi F, Whiting D, Rashid S, Kissima J, Aspray TJ, Alberti KGMM. Hypertension prevalence and care in an urban and rural area of Tanzania. Journal of Hypertension 2000, 18(2), 145-152.
- Aspray TJ, Mugusi F, Rashid S, Whiting D, Edwards R, Alberti KGeorge, Unwin NC. Rural and urban differences in diabetes prevalence in Tanzania: The role of obesity, physical inactivity and urban living. Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 2000, 94(6), 637-644.
- Whiting D, Unwin NC, Aspray TJ, Edwards R, Setel P, Rashid S, Mugusi F, Alberti KG. The pitfalls of measuring changes in smoking habits. Essential NCD Health Intervention Project Team. Tropical Doctor 2000, 30(3), 160-161.
- Rashid S, Aspray TJ, Edwards R, Mugusi F, Whiting D, Unwin NC, Setel P, Alberti KG. The pitfalls of measuring changes in smoking habits. Essential NCD Health Intervention Project Team. Tropical Doctor 2000, 30(3), 160-161.
- Aspray TJ, Francis RM, Tyrer SP, Quilliam SJ. Patients with learning disability in the community. British Medical Journal 1999, 318(7182), 476-477.
- Aspray TJ, Francis RM, Tyrer SP, Quilliam SJ. Patients with learning disability in the community - Have special medical needs that should be planned for. British Medical Journal 1999, 318(7182), 476-477.
- Aspray TJ, Francis RM, Thompson A, Quilliam SJ, Berney TP, Lana M, Tyrer SP. Response. BONE 1999, 24(5), 525-525.
- Aspray TJ, Unwin N, Mugusi F, Essential NCD Health Intervention Project. Screening for diabetes and hypertension in sub-Saharan Africa: can waist measurements be used to identify those at risk?. Diabetic Medicine 1999, 16(supplement), S57.
- Unwin N, Mugusi F, Aspray T, Whiting D, Edwards R, Mbanya JC, Sobgnwi E, Rashid S, Alberti KGMM. Tackling the emerging pandemic of non-communicable diseases in sub-Saharan Africa: The essential NCD health intervention project. Public Health 1999, 113(3), 141-146.
- Unwin N, Alberti G, Aspray T, Edwards R, Mbanya JC, Sobngwi E, Mugusi F, Rashid S, Setel P, Whiting D. Economic globalisation and its effect on health - Some diseases could be eradicated for the cost of a couple of fighter planes. British Medical Journal 1998, 316(7142), 1401-1402.
- T. J. Aspray, R. M. Francis, R. Peaston, A. Thompson and S. J. Quilliam. PTH is a significant predictor of BUA at the heel in men but not women. Journal of Bone and Mineral Research 1998, 13, P19.
- T. J. Aspray, R. M. Francis and A. Prentice. Evolution of osteoporosis. Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases 1997, 56, 78-78.
- T. J. Aspray, R. M. Francis, D. Rawlings, S. J. Quilliam and S. P. Tyrer. Are adults with learning disability at greater risk of fracture compared with community controls?. Journal of Bone and Mineral Research 1996, 11, P55-P55.
- T. J. Aspray, R. M. Francis, M. Rutter and M. Walker. Consequences of withholding testosterone treatment. Lancet 1996, 348, 609-609.
- T. J. Aspray, L. T. Weaver, A. Prentice and O. F. W. James. Health screening of older people: A rural African experience. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society 1996, 44, 219-220.