Professor Heather Cordell
Professor of Statistical Genetics
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 241 8669
- Personal Website: http://www.staff.ncl.ac.uk/heather.cordell/
- Address: Institute of Genetic Medicine
International Centre for Life
Newcastle upon Tyne
Heather Cordell is Professor of Statistical Genetics and a Wellcome Senior Research Fellow in the Institute of Genetic Medicine.The research interests of her group are the development and application of statistical methodology to genetic studies of complex disease.
Area of expertise
- Statistical analysis of genetic and genomic data, particularly data from genetic studies of human complex disease
Google scholar: Click here.
SCOPUS: Click here.
Development and application of statistical methodology to genetic studies of complex disease.
In my group we develop statistical methodology to detect and characterise genetic variants contributing to common, complex diseases such as type 1 diabetes, asthma, tuberculosis, leprosy, renal and cardiovascular diseases. This research spans the realm of both linkage and association analysis, using both family (pedigree) data and data from unrelated cases and controls. Following localisation of genetic regions that contain susceptibility loci via linkage methods, for many diseases the focus of interest is now identification of causal genetic variants within those regions. We use a variety of statistical methods including regression and data-mining approaches to address this question. A particular feature of our research is on the development of methods for detecting linkage or association with, and modelling the effects at, multiple disease loci simultaneously. This includes loci that may be closely linked (i.e. that map to the same chromosomal region) and that may interact epistatically with one another.
The methods developed in our group are applied to, and in part inspired by, the data and questions of interest arising from our collaborations with clinical and biological research colleagues.
Svetlana Cherlin BA PhD
MRC Research Associate
Rebecca Darlay BSc PhD
Richard Howey BSc PhD
Wellcome Trust Research Associate
- Thalayasingam N, Nair N, Skelton AJ, Massey J, Anderson AE, Clark AD, Diboll J, Lendrem DW, Reynard LN, Cordell HJ, Eyre S, Isaacs JD, Barton A, Pratt AG. CD4+ and B lymphocyte expression quantitative traits at rheumatoid arthritis risk loci in untreated early arthritis: implications for causal gene identification. Arthritis and Rheumatology 2018, 70(3), 361-370.
- Fryett JJ, Inshaw J, Morris AP, Cordell HJ. Comparison of methods for transcriptome imputation through application to two common complex diseases. European Journal of Human Genetics 2018. In Press.
- Pickett S, Grady JP, Ng YS, Gorman GS, Schaefer AM, Wilson IJ, Cordell HJ, Turnbull DM, Taylor RW, McFarland R. Phenotypic heterogeneity in m.3243A>G mitochondrial disease: The role of nuclear factors. Annals of Clinical and Translational Neurology 2018, 5(3), 333-345.
- Wang MH, Cordell HJ, Van Steen K. Statistical methods for genome-wide association studies. Seminars in Cancer Biology 2018, Epub ahead of print.
- Ainsworth HF, Shin S-Y, Cordell HJ. A comparison of methods for inferring causal relationships between genotype and phenotype using additional biological measurements. Genetic Epidemiology 2017, Epub ahead of print.
- Asimit JL, Payne F, Morris AP, Cordell HJ, Barroso I. A two-stage inter-rater approach for enrichment testing of variants associated with multiple traits. European Journal of Human Genetics 2017, 25(3), 341-349.
- Howey R, Cordell HJ. Further investigations of the W-test for pairwise epistasis testing. Wellcome Open Research 2017, 2, 54.
- Darlow JM, Darlay R, Dobson MG, Stewart A, Charoen P, Southgate J, Baker SC, Xu Y, Hunziker M, Lambert HJ, Green AJ, Santibanez-Koref M, Sayer JA, Goodship THJ, Puri P, Woolf AS, Kenda RB, Barton DE, Cordell HJ. Genome-wide linkage and association study implicates the 10q26 region as a major genetic contributor to primary nonsyndromic vesicoureteric reflux. Scientific Reports 2017, 7, 14595.
- Liu W, Anstee QM, Wang X, Gawrieh S, Gamazon ER, Athinarayanan S, Liu Y-L, Darlay R, Cordell HJ, Daly AK, Day CP, Chalasani N. Transcriptional regulation of PNPLA3 and its impact on susceptibility to nonalcoholic fatty liver Disease (NAFLD) in humans. Aging 2017, 9(1), 26-40.
- Balzani A, Cordell HJ, Sutcliffe E, Edwards SA. Heritability of udder morphology and colostrum quality traits in swine. Journal of Animal Science 2016, 94(9), 3636-3644.
- Balzani A, Cordell HJ, Sutcliffe E, Edwards SA. Sources of variation in udder morphology of sows. Journal of Animal Science 2016, 94(1), 394-400.
- Carbone M, Sharp SJ, Flack S, Paximadas D, Spiess K, Adgey C, Griffiths L, Lim R, Trembling P, Williamson K, Wareham NJ, Aldersley M, Bathgate A, Burroughs AK, Heneghan MA, Neuberger JM, Thorburn D, Hirschfield GM, Cordell HJ, Alexander GJ, Jones DEJ, Sandford RN, Mells GF, UK-PBC Consortium. The UK-PBC Risk Scores: Derivation and Validation of a Scoring System for Long-Term Prediction of End-Stage Liver Disease in Primary Biliary Cholangitis. Hepatology 2016, 63(3), 930-950.
- Ainsworth HF, Cordell HJ. Using gene expression data to identify causal pathways between genotype and phenotype in a complex disease: Application to Genetic Analysis Workshop 19. In: Genetic Analysis Workshop 19: Sequence, Blood Pressure and Expression Data. 2016, Vienna, Austria: BioMed Central Ltd.
- Anderson D, Cordell HJ, Fakiola M, Francis RW, Syn G, Scaman ESH, Davis E, Miles SJ, McLeay T, Jamieson SE, Blackwell JM. First Genome-Wide Association Study in an Australian Aboriginal Population Provides Insights into Genetic Risk Factors for Body Mass Index and Type 2 Diabetes. PLoS One 2015, 10(3), e0119333.
- Baurecht H, Hotze M, Brand S, Buning C, Cormican P, Corvin A, Ellinghaus D, Ellinghaus E, Esparza-Gordillo J, Folster-Holst R, Franke A, Gieger C, Hubner N, Illig T, Irvine AD, Kabesch M, Lee YAE, Lieb W, Marenholz I, McLean WHI, Morris DW, Mrowietz U, Nair R, Nothen MM, Novak N, O'Regan GM, Schreiber S, Smith C, Strauch K, Stuart PE, Trembath R, Tsoi LC, Weichenthal M, Barker J, Elder JT, Weidinger S, Cordell HJ, Brown SJ, PAGE Consortium. Genome-wide Comparative Analysis of Atopic Dermatitis and Psoriasis Gives Insight into Opposing Genetic Mechanisms. American Journal of Human Genetics 2015, 96(1), 104-120.
- Cordell H, Han Y, Mells G, Li Y, Hirschfield GM, Greene CS, Xie G, Juran BD, Zhu D, Qian DC, Floyd JAB, Morley KI, Prati D, Lleo A, Cusi D, Canadian-US PBC Consortium, Italian PBC Genetics Study Group, UK-PBC Consortium, Gershwin ME, Anderson CA, Lazaridis KN, Invernizzi P, Seldin MF, Sandford RN, Amos CI, Siminovitch K. International genome-wide meta-analysis identifies new primary biliary cirrhosis risk loci and targetable pathogenic pathways. Nature Communications 2015, 6, 8019.
- Eu-ahsunthornwattana J, Miller EN, Fakiola M, Jeronimo SMB, Blackwell JM, Cordell HJ, Wellcome Trust Case Control. Comparison of Methods to Account for Relatedness in Genome-Wide Association Studies with Family-Based Data. PLoS Genetics 2014, 10(7), e1004445.
- Howey RAJ, Eu-Ahsunthornwattana J, Darlay R, Cordell HJ. Examination of previously identified associations within the Genetic Analysis Workshop 19 data. In: Genetic Analysis Workshop 19: Sequence, Blood Pressure and Expression Data. 2014, Vienna, Austria: BioMed Central Ltd.
- Fakiola M, Strange A, Cordell HJ, Miller EN, Pirinen M, Su Z, Mishra A, Mehrotra S, Monteiro GR, Band G, Bellenguez C, Dronov S, Edkins S, Freeman C, Giannoulatou E, Gray E, Hunt SE, Lacerda HG, Langford C, Pearson R, Pontes NN, Rai M, Singh SP, Smith L, Sousa O, Vukcevic D, Bramon E, Brown MA, Casas JP, Corvin A, Duncanson A, Jankowski J, Markus HS, Mathew CG, Palmer CNA, Plomin R, Rautanen A, Sawcer SJ, Trembath RC, Viswanathan AC, Wood NW, Wilson ME, Deloukas P, Peltonen L, Christiansen F, Witt C, Jeronimo SMB, Sundar S, Spencer CCA, Blackwell JM, Donnelly P, LeishGEN Consortium, Wellcome Trust Case Control. Common variants in the HLA-DRB1-HLA-DQA1 HLA class II region are associated with susceptibility to visceral leishmaniasis. Nature Genetics 2013, 45(2), 208-213.
- Cordell HJ, Bentham J, Topf A, Zelenika D, Heath S, Mamasoula C, Cosgrove C, Blue G, Granados-Riveron J, Setchfield K, Thornborough C, Breckpot J, Soemedi R, Martin R, Rahman TJ, Hall D, van Engelen K, Moorman AFM, Zwinderman AH, Barnett P, Koopman TT, Adriaens ME, Varro A, George Jr AL, dos Remedios C, Bishopric NH, Bezzina CR, O'Sullivan J, Gewilling M, Bu'Lock FA, Winlaw D, Bhattacharya S, Devriendt K, Brook JD, Mulder BJM, Mital S, Postma AV, Lathrop GM, Farrall M, Goodship JA, Keavney BD. Genome-wide association study of multiple congenital heart disease phenotypes identifies a susceptibility locus for atrial septal defect at chromosome 4p16. Nature Genetics 2013, 45(7), 822-824.
- Ueki M, Cordell HJ. Improved Statistics for Genome-Wide Interaction Analysis. PLoS Genetics 2012, 8(4), e1002625.
- Ainsworth HE, Unwin J, Jamison DL, Cordell HJ. Investigation of Maternal Effects, Maternal-Fetal Interactions and Parent-of-Origin Effects (Imprinting), Using Mothers and Their Offspring. Genetic Epidemiology 2011, 35(1), 19-45.
- Ueda H, Howson JMM, Esposito L, Heward J, Snook H, Chamberlain G, Rainbow DB, Hunter KMD, Smith A, DiGenova G, Herr MH, Dahlman I, Payne F, Smyth D, Lowe C, Twells RCJ, Howlett S, Healy B, Smink LJ, Lam ACH, Cordell HJ, Walker NM, Bordin C, Hulme H, Motzo C, Cucca F, Hess JF, Metzker ML, Rogers J, Gregory S, Allahabadia A, Nithiyananthan R, Tuomilehto-Wolf E, Tuomilehto J, Bingley P, Gillespie KM, Undlien DE, Rønningen KS, Savage DA, Carson DJ, Maxwell AP, Patterson CC, Franklyn JA, Clayton DG, Peterson LB, Wicker LS, Todd JA, Gough SCL. Association of the T-cell regulatory gene CTLA-4 with susceptibility to autoimmune disease. Nature 2003, 423(6939), 506-511.
- Cordell HJ, Clayton DG. A Unified Stepwise Regression Procedure for Evaluating the Relative Effects of Polymorphisms within a Gene Using Case/Control or Family Data: Application to HLA in Type 1 Diabetes. American Journal of Human Genetics 2002, 70(1), 124-141.
- Cordell HJ, Wedig GC, Jacobs KB, Elston RC. Multilocus linkage tests based on affected relative pairs. American Journal of Human Genetics 2000, 66(4), 1273-1286.