Dr Angela Jones
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 5276
- Address: Human Nutrition Research Centre and Institute of Health & Society
Room M1.151, William Leech Building, Medical School, Framlington Place
Newcastle upon Tyne
PhD (Newcastle University)
BSc (Hons) Food and Human Nutrition (Newcastle University)
My main research interests are in nutrition and childhood obesity and identifying effective strategies for prevention of overweight and obesity in children. I am also interested in the relationship between whole grain consumption and health.
Projects that I am involved include:
The Gateshead Millennium Study - https://www.ncl.ac.uk/hnrc/research/projects/gatesheadmillenniumstudyalongitudinalcohortstudyofchildrenborningate.html
How can we help parents recognise unhealthy body weight in their children - https://www.ncl.ac.uk/hnrc/research/projects/howcanwehelpparentsrecogniseunhealthybodyweightintheirchildren.html
I routinely co-supervise Food and Human Nutrition students during their final year project.
I have supervised one PhD student to completion (Laura Cutler, Parental perceptions of their child's weight status and assessment of their child's Health-Related Quality of Life (HRQoL)
I am currently supervising the following PhD students:
Dave Ray, Developing and feasibility testing a health professional led intervention to prevent childhood obesity in the early years (0-2 years) in the Durham region
- Jones AR, Tovée MJ, Cutler LR, Parkinson KN, Ells LJ, Araujo-Soares V, Pearce MS, Mann KD, Scott D, Harris JM, Adamson AJ. Development of the MapMe intervention body image scales of known weight status for 4-5 and 10-11 year old children. Journal of Public Health 2018, 40(3), 582-590.
- Parkinson K, Reilly J, Basterfield L, Reilly J, Janssen X, Jones A, Cutler L, Le Couteur A, Adamson A. Mothers' perceptions of child weight status and the subsequent weight gain of their children: a population based longitudinal study. International Journal of Obesity 2017, 41, 801-806.
- Jones AR, Mann KD, Kuznesof SA, Richardson DP, Seal CJ. The whole grain content of foods consumed in the UK. Food Chemistry 2017, 214, 453-459.
- Almoosawi S, Jones A, Parkinson K, Pearce M, Collins H, Adamson A. Parental perception of weight status: Influence on children's diet in the Gateshead Millennium Study. PLoS ONE 2016, 11(2), e0144931.
- Fletcher S, Wright C, Jones A, Parkinson K, Adamson A. Tracking of toddler fruit and vegetable preferences to intake and adiposity later in childhood. Maternal and Child Nutrition 2016, 13(2), e12290.
- Parkinson KN, Jones AR, Tovée MJ, Ells LJ, Pearce MS, Araujo-Soares V, Adamson A. A cluster randomised trial testing an intervention to improve parents' recognition of their child's weight status: study protocol. BMC Public Health 2015, 15, 549.
- Basterfield L, Jones AR, Parkinson KN, Reilly J, Pearce MS, Reilly JJ, Adamson AJ, Gateshead Millennium Study Core Team. Physical activity, diet and BMI in children aged 6–8 years: a cross-sectional analysis. BMJ Open 2014, 4(6), e005001.
- Pearce MS, James PW, Franco-Villoria M, Parkinson KN, Jones AR, Basterfield L, Drewett RF, Wright CM, Adamson AJ. Creation of an Adiposity Index for Children Aged 6–8 Years: The Gateshead Millennium Study. BioMed Research International 2013, 2013, 431825.
- Shaw CA, Lara J, Adamson AJ, Jones AR, Mathers JC. Dietary patterns as predictors of childhood adiposity. In: Nutrition Society Annual Summer Meeting. 2013, Newcastle upon Tyne: Cambridge University Press.
- Jones AR, Cutler LR, Parkinson KN, Ellis LJ, Tovée MJ, Araujo-Soares V, Pearce MS, Mann KD, Speed C, Harris JM, Treleaven P, Adamson AJ. Improving parental recognition of childhood overweight: the Map Me Study. In: Nutrition Society Annual Summer Meeting. 2013, Newcastle, UK: Cambridge University Press.
- Jones AR, Cutler LR, Parkinson KN, Ells LJ, Tovée MJ, Scott D, Araujo-Soares V, Pearce MS, Mann KD, Speed C, Harris JM, Treleaven P, Adamson AJ. Improving parental recognition of childhood overweight: The Map Me Study. In: Nutrition Society Annual Summer Meeting. 2013, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK: Cambridge University Press.
- Parkinson KN, Drewett RF, Jones AR, Adamson AJ, The Gateshead Millennium Study Core Team. Mothers' judgements about their child's weight: distinguishing facts from values. Child: Care Health and Development 2013, 39(5), 722-727.
- Reilly JK, Basterfield L, Slack EL, Parkinson KN, Jones AR, Pearce MS, Dale A, Le Couteur AS, Adamson AJ. Tracking of fruit and vegetable consumption from childhood to adolescence: The Gateshead Millennium Study. In: Nutrition Society Annual Summer Meeting. 2013, Newcastle, UK: Cambridge University Press.
- Wetton AR, Radley R, Jones AR, Pearce MS. What Are the Barriers Which Discourage 15-16 Year-Old Girls from Participating in Team Sports and How Can We Overcome Them?. BioMed Research International 2013, 738705.
- Jones AR, Parkinson KN, Drewett RF, Hyland RM, Pearce MS, Adamson AJ, and the Gateshead Millennium Study core team. Parental perceptions of weight status in children: the Gateshead Millennium Study. International Journal of Obesity 2011, 35(7), 953-962.
- Parkinson KN, Drewett RF, Jones AR, Wright CM, Dale A, Pearce NS, Adamson AJ, Gateshead Millennium Study Core Team. When do mothers think their child is overweight?. International Journal of Obesity 2011, 35(4), 510-516.
- Jones AR, Hyland RM, Parkinson KN, Adamson AJ, The Gateshead Millennium Study Core Team. Developing a focus group approach for exploring parents' perspectives on childhood overweight. Nutrition Bulletin 2009, 34(2), 214–219.
- Seal CJ, Jones AR. Barriers to the consumption of wholegrain foods. In: Marquart, L; Jacobs, DR; McIntosh, GH; Poutanen, K; Reicks, M, ed. Whole Grains and Health. Iowa, USA: Balckwell Publishing, 2007, pp.243-254.
- Thane CW, Jones AR, Stephen AM, Seal CJ, Jebb SA. Comparative whole-grain intake of British adults in 1986-7 and 2000-1. British Journal of Nutrition 2007, 97(5), 987-992.
- Seal CJ, Brownlee IA, Jones AR. Grains and health: The "whole" picture. Quintessence International 2007, 38(6), 498-503.
- Seal CJ, Jones AR, Whitney AD. Whole grains uncovered. Nutrition Bulletin 2006, 31(2), 129-137.
- Thane CW, Jones AR, Stephen AM, Seal CJ, Jebb SA. Whole-grain intake of British young people aged 4-18 years. British Journal of Nutrition 2005, 94(5), 825-831.