Professor Ashley Adamson
Prof of Public Health Nutrition and NIHR Research Professor
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 5276
- Address: Human Nutrition Research Centre
Institute of Health & Society and Newcastle University Institute for Ageing,
M1.151 William Leech Building, Framlington Place, Medical School
Newcastle upon Tyne NE2 4HH
After graduation in 1987 I worked as a dietitian in the NHS before moving to Newcastle University as a Research Associate to work on the Northumberland cross sectional cohort studies. I was awarded PhD from Faculty of Medicine Newcastle University in 1993. From 1992-95 I worked in clinical practice in a number of community dietetic posts and in primary care in London. I returned to Newcastle University in 1995 to take up a post as Lecturer in the then newly created Human Nutrition Research Centre to develop a research programme in Public Health Nutrition. The Human Nutrition Research Centre is now an established University Research Centre directed by Prof John Mathers. As deputy director of the Human Nutrition Research Centre I lead a thriving and vibrant team in Public Health Nutrition Research. In 2009 I joined the Institute of Health & Society where I led the Public Health Improvement research theme until 2017. I was awarded a personal chair in 2010, Fellowship of Faculty of Public Health in 2011, an NIHR Professorship in 2012 and appointed an NIHR Senior Investigator in 2018. I was appointed Director of Fuse in 2014 and National Director of NIHR School for Public Health Research (SPHR) in 2017.
Roles and Responsibilities
Director of Fuse (UKCRC funded Centre for Translation Research in Public Health)
National Director of NIHR School for Public Health Research (SPHR)
Member of Department of Health Public Health Research Consortium
BSc Dietetics with distinction, Queen Margaret College, Edinburgh
PhD, University of Newcastle
Registration with Health Care Professions Council (Dietetics) From 1987
Registered Public Health Nutritionist (RPHNutr.) From 2001
NIHR Public Health Career Scientist 2005-2010
Visiting Senior Lecturer, University of York 2006-7
Senior Lecturer, Newcastle University
Lecturer, Newcastle University
Senior Community Dietitian Haringey and Enfield NHS Trust
Research Associate, University of Newcastle
Dietitian, Northwick Park Hospital, Middlesex
Honours and Awards
Fellowship of the Faculty of Public Health (FPH), through distinction since 2011
Department of Health (NIHR) Public Health Career Scientist 2005-2010
Dietary assessment methods
Diet of children and adolescents
Childhood obesity - prevention
Nutrition and ageing
Research led for Public Health Nutrition Research in Human Nutrition Research Centre and the Institute of Health & Society
PhD student supervision in major areas of research interest especially tracking diet from childhood to adulthood, diet in children, and diet and obesity
5 April 2017 - New Director of the National School for Public Health Research
- Newcastle University press release:- http://www.ncl.ac.uk/press/news/2017/04/nihrsphr/
13 March 2017 - In response to published article Farooq MA, Parkinson KN, Adamson AJ, Pearce MS, Reilly JK, Hughes AR, Janssen X, Basterfield L, Reilly JJ: (2017) Timing of the decline in physical activity in children and adolescence: Gateshead Millennium Cohort Study. British Journal of Sports Medicine. Doi 10.1136/bjsports-2016-096933
- Newcastle University press release: http://bit.ly/2mozeQW
· The Chronicle: http://bit.ly/2mMQv9U
· Northern Echo: http://bit.ly/2nryIUj
· BBC New online: http://bbc.in/2mV6cwj
· ITV: http://bit.ly/2mHL249
· Telegraph: http://bit.ly/2nyWtJe
· The National (Scotland): http://bit.ly/2mrWMVS
· The Times of India: http://bit.ly/2nrOJta
- Radio coverage
· BBC Radio Newcastle: http://bbc.in/2n9DCIb (listen from 20:28)
· BBC Radio Tees
- TV coverage
· BBC Look North
· BBC Scotland
· ITV Tyne Tees
- Sugar Tax: ‘Calls for more powers to fight childhood obesity’ ITV News Tyne Tees at 7am, 23 March 2016 http://www.itv.com/news/tyne-tees/2016-03-23/calls-for-more-powers-to-fight-childhood-obesity/ Listen from 2.57
Health experts are calling on the government to rethink plans to scrap free school meals for pupils aged four to seven - 27 September 2015
Ending free meals 'will harm pupils' (Sunday Times, p11;)
Talks about the benefits of school meals versus packed lunches. BBC Radio 2 http://bbc.in/1O4H1PE Listen from 02:02.00
Further coverage of Gateshead free school meals – 9 January 2015
Press release: New Year: New School Food Standards in North East schools
Tyne Tees Television interview
‘Gateshead primary school children give new healthier lunches the thumbs up’ (Chronicle online http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/gateshead-primary-school-children-give-8413318)
‘Made in Tyne & Wear’ interview (22 January 2015)
Sky Guide 117, 6:30am
Freeview Channel 8, 9pm
- Newcastle academic attends free school meals launch reception
- BBC Inside Out – ‘Spotlight on sugar’ (1 September 2014)
- Radio 5 Live - live interview with Victoria Derbyshire on introduction of universal free school meals (15 May 2014)
- BBC Bristol consultation event (7 January 2014)
- Plan to increase take-up of school dinners
- BBC2 series ‘Hairy Dieters: How to love food and lose weight’
- BBC Radio 4 ‘You and Yours’ – Interview ‘Soaps and health eating’ (7 June 2013)
- Coverage of Gateshead free school meals (4 September 2013)
BBC Newcastle Radio [Live in the breakfast show at 08.25am, Drive show between 4/5.30pm]
Member of Public Health England National Child Measurement Programme group from June 2014
British Nutrition Foundation Scientific Governor and Council member from June 2014
Member of Public Health England Obesity Priority Programme Board from Sept 2013
Member of School Food Plan Expert Panel from Sept 2012
British Nutrition Foundation Scientific Advisory Committee Member - 2011-2014
Fellowship of the Faculty of Public Health (FPH), through distinction from 2011
Member of Department of Health Public Health Research Consortium 2005-2016
Department of Health Public Health Career Scientist 2005-2010 'Meeting the challenge of Obesity Epidemic in Children and Young Adults'
Member of the Board of Trustees for the National Obesity Forum from 2006-2008
Member of Food Standards Agency to Project Management Panel for Front of Pack Signposting Jan 2007 Member of Editorial Board for Journal of Human Nutrition and Dietetics from June 2007
Member of Joint Taskforce of British Dietetic Association and Nutrition Society Public health nutrition career framework to develop a nutrition career framework with special reference to public health, within the context of the developing National Public Health Career Framework as guidance to Dept of Health, from April 2007
Elected member of Nutrition Society Programmes Committee 2004-2007
Invited member of DFES school meals study advisory group 2002-2005
Invited member of British Dietetic Association National Campaign Planning Group 2006
Department of Health
Food Standards Agency
Medical Research Council
National Prevention Research Initiative (NPRI-MRC)
National Institute of Health Research
The Children's Foundation
Food and Human Nutrition BSc (Hons)
Undergraduate Medicine and Dentistry
Masters in Health Sciences
- Bradley J, West-Sadler S, Foster E, Sommerville J, Allen R, Stephen AM, Adamson AJ. Feasibility of an estimated method using graduated utensils to estimate food portion size in infants aged 4 to 18 months. PLoS ONE 2018, 13(6), e0197591.
- Penn L, Rodrigues A, Haste A, Marques MM, Budig K, Sainsbury K, Bell R, Araújo-Soares V, White M, Summerbell C, Goyder E, Brennan A, Adamson AJ, Sniehotta FF. NHS Diabetes Prevention Programme in England: formative evaluation of the programme in early phase implementation. BMJ Open 2018, 8, e019467.
- Lean MEJ, Leslie WS, Barnes AC, Brosnahan N, Thom G, McCombie L, Peters C, Zhyzhneuskaya S, Al-Mrabeh A, Hollingsworth KG, Rodrigues AM, Rehackova L, Adamson AJ, Sniehotta FF, Mathers JC, Ross HM, McIlvenna Y, Stefanetti R, Trenell MI, Welsh P, Kean S, Ford I, McConnachie A, Sattar N, Taylor R. Primary care-led weight management for remission of type 2 diabetes (DiRECT): an open-label, cluster-randomised trial. The Lancet 2018, 391(10120), 541-551.
- Haste A, Adamson AJ, McColl E, Araujo-Soares V, Bell R. Problems recruiting and retaining postnatal women to a pilot randomised controlled trial of a web-delivered weight loss intervention. BMC Research Notes 2018, 11, 203.
- Goffe L, Penn L, Adams J, Araujo-Soares V, Summerbell CD, Abraham C, White M, Adamson A, Lake AL. The challenges of interventions to promote healthier food in independent takeaways in England: qualitative study of intervention deliverers’ views. BMC Public Health 2018, 18, 1-11.
- Ejlerskov KT, Stead M, Adamson A, White M, Adams J. The nature of UK supermarkets’ policies on checkout food and associations with healthfulness and type of food displayed: cross-sectional study. International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity 2018, 15(52).
- Hillier-Brown FC, Summerbell CD, Moore HJ, Wrieden WL, Adams J, Abraham C, Adamson A, Araujo-Soares V, White M, Lake AA. A description of interventions promoting healthier ready-to-eat meals (to eat in, to take away, or to be delivered) sold by specific food outlets in England: a systematic mapping and evidence synthesis. BMC Public Health 2017, 17, 93.
- McSweeney L, Araujo-Soares V, Rapley T, Adamson A. A feasibility study with process evaluation of a preschool intervention to improve child and family lifestyle behaviours. BMC Public Health 2017, 17, 248.
- Rehackova L, Araújo-Soares V, Adamson AJ, Steven S, Taylor R, Sniehotta FF. Acceptability of a very-low-energy diet in Type 2 diabetes: patient experiences and behaviour regulation. Diabetic Medicine 2017, 34(11), 1554-1567.
- Taylor R, Leslie WS, Barnes AC, Brosnahan N, Thom G, McCombie L, Sattar N, Welsh P, Peters C, Zhyzhneuskaya S, Hollingsworth KG, AlMrabeh A, Rodrigues AM, Rehackova L, Adamson AJ, Sniehotta FF, Mathers JC, Ross HM, McIlvenna Y, Kean S, Ford I, McConachie A, Lean MEJ. Clinical and metabolic features of the randomised controlled Diabetes Remission Clinical Trial (DiRECT) cohort. Diabetologia 2017, (ePub ahead of Print).
- Foster E, Hawkins A, Barton KL, Stamp E, Matthews JNS, Adamson AJ. Development of food photographs for use with children aged 18 months to 16 years: comparison against weighed food diaries - The Young Person's Food Atlas (UK). PLoS ONE 2017, 12(2), e0169084.
- Jones AR, Tovée MJ, Cutler LR, Parkinson KN, Ells LJ, Araujo-Soares V, Pearce MS, Mann KD, Scott D, Harris JM, Adamson AJ. Development of the MapMe intervention body image scales of known weight status for 4-5 and 10-11 year old children. Journal of Public Health 2017, Epub ahead of print.
- Tyrrell R, Greenhalgh F, Hodgson S, Wills WJ, Mathers JC, Adamson AJ, Lake AA. Food environments of young people: linking individual behaviour to environmental context. Journal of Public Health 2017, 39(1), 95-104.
- Simpson E, Bradley J, Poliakov I, Jackson D, Olivier P, Adamson AJ, Foster E. Iterative Development of an Online Dietary Recall Tool: INTAKE24. Nutrients 2017, 9(2), 1-14.
- Mann KD, Howe LD, Basterfield L, Parkinson KP, Pearce MS, Reilly JK, Adamson AJ, Reilly J, Janssen X. Longitudinal study of the associations between change in sedentary behavior and change in adiposity during childhood and adolescence: Gateshead Millennium Study. International Journal of Obesity 2017, 41, 1042-1047.
- Granic A, Mendonca N, Sayer AA, Hill TR, Davies K, Adamson A, Siervo M, Mathers JC, Jagger C. Low protein intake, muscle strength and physical performance in the very old: the Newcastle 85+ Study. Clinical Nutrition 2017, (ePub ahead of Print).
- Parkinson K, Reilly J, Basterfield L, Reilly J, Janssen X, Jones A, Cutler L, Le Couteur A, Adamson A. Mothers' perceptions of child weight status and the subsequent weight gain of their children: a population based longitudinal study. International Journal of Obesity 2017, Epub ahead of print.
- Scott S, Parkinson K, Kaner E, Shannon R, Stead M, Power C, Fitzgerald N, Wrieden W, Adamson A. Non-pharmacological interventions designed to reduce health risks due to unhealthy eating behaviour and linked risky or excessive drinking in adults aged 18–25 years: a systematic review protocol. Systematic Reviews 2017, 6, 42.
- Mendonca N, Granic A, Mathers JC, Hill TR, Siervo M, Adamson AJ, Jagger C. Prevalence and determinants of low protein intake in very old adults: insights from the Newcastle 85+ Study. European Journal of Nutrition 2017, ePub ahead of print.
- Goffe L, Rushton S, White M, Adamson A, Adams J. Relationship between mean daily energy intake and frequency of consumption of out-of-home meals in the UK National Diet and Nutrition Survey. The International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity 2017, 14(1), 131.
- Evans E, Adamson A, Basterfield L, LeCouteur AS, Reilly JK, Reilly JJ, Parkinson K. Risk factors for eating disorder symptoms at 12 years of age: A 6-year longitudinal cohort study. Appetite 2017, 108, 12-20.
- Scott S, Reilly J, Giles EL, Hillier-Brown F, Ells L, Kaner E, Adamson A. Socio-ecological influences on adolescent (aged 10-17) alcohol use and linked unhealthy eating behaviours: Protocol for a systematic review and synthesis of qualitative studies. Systematic Reviews 2017, 6(1), 180.
- Sainsbury K, Cleland CL, Evans EH, Adamson A, Batterham A, Dombrowski SU, Gellert P, Hill M, Kwasnicka D, Scott D, Sniehotta FF, White M, Araújo-Soares V. Supporting the transition from weight loss to maintenance: development and optimisation of a face-to-face behavioural intervention component. Health Psychology and Behavioral Medicine 2017, 5(1), 66-84.
- Hillier-Brown F, Summerbell CD, Moore H, Routen A, Lake AA, Adams J, White M, Araujo-Soares V, Abraham C, Adamson AJ, Brown TJ. The impact of interventions to promote healthier ready-to-eat meals (to eat in, to take away, or to be delivered) sold by specific food outlets open to the general public: a systematic review. Obesity Reviews 2017, 18(2), 227-246.
- Farooq MA, Parkinson KN, Adamson AJ, Pearce MS, Reilly JK, Hughes AR, Janssen X, Basterfield L, Reilly JJ. Timing of the decline in physical activity in childhood and adolescence: Gateshead Millennium Cohort Study. British Journal of Sports Medicine 2017, epub ahead of print.
- Granic A, Hill TR, Davies K, Jagger C, Adamson A, Siervo M, Kirkwood TBL, Mathers JC, Sayer AA. Vitamin D Status, Muscle Strength and Physical Performance Decline in Very Old Adults: A Prospective Study. Nutrients 2017, 9(4), 379.
- Haste A, Adamson AJ, McColl E, Araujo-Soares V, Bell R. Web-Based Weight Loss Intervention for Men With Type 2 Diabetes: Pilot Randomized Controlled Trial. JMIR Diabetes 2017, 2(2), e14.
- Albani V, Celis-Morales C, O'Donovan CB, Walsh MC, Woolhead C, Forster H, Fallaize R, Macready AL, Marsaux CFM, Navas-Carretero S, San-Cristobal R, Kolossa S, Mavrogianni C, Lambrinou CP, Moschonis G, Godlewska M, Surwillo A, Traczyk I, Gundersen TE, Drevon CA, Daniel H, Manios Y, Martinez JA, Saris WHM, Lovegrove JA, Gibney MJ, Gibney ER, Mathers JC, Adamson AJ, Brennan L. Within-person reproducibility and sensitivity to dietary change of C15:0 and C17:0 levels in dried blood spots: Data from the European Food4Me Study. Molecular Nutrition & Food Research 2017, 61(10), 1700142.
- Basterfield L, Gardner L, Reilly JK, Pearce MS, Parkinson KN, Adamson AJ, Reilly JJ, Vella SA. Can’t play, won’t play: longitudinal changes in perceived barriers to participation in sports clubs across the child-adolescent transition. BMJ Open Sport & Exercise Medicine 2016, 2(1), e000079.
- Bradley J, Simpson E, Poliakov I, Matthew JNS, Olivier P, Adamson AJ, Foster E. Comparison of INTAKE24 (an Online 24-h Dietary Recall Tool) with Interviewer-Led 24-h Recall in 11–24 Year-Old. Nutrients 2016, 8(6), 358.
- Goffe L, Hillier-Brown F, Doherty A, Wrieden W, Lake AA, Araujo-Soares V, Summerbell C, White M, Adamson AJ, Adams J. Comparison of sodium content of meals served by independent takeaways using standard versus reduced holed salt shakers: Cross-sectional study. International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity 2016, 13, 102.
- Janssen X, Mann KD, Basterfield L, Parkinson KN, Pearce MS, Reilly JK, Adamson AJ, Reilly JJ. Development of sedentary behaviour across childhood and adolescence: longitudinal analysis of the Gateshead Millennium Study. International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity 2016, 13(88).
- Granic A, Davies K, Adamson A, Kirkwood T, Hill TR, Siervo M, Mathers JC, Jagger C. Dietary Patterns High in Red Meat, Potato, Gravy, and Butter Are Associated with Poor Cognitive Functioning but Not with Rate of Cognitive Decline in Very Old Adults. Journal of Nutrition 2016, 146(2), 265-274.
- Granic A, Jagger C, Davies K, Adamson A, Kirkwood T, Hill TR, Siervo M, Mathers JC, Sayer AA. Effect of dietary patterns of muscle strength and physical performance in the very old: findings from the Newcastle 85+ Study. PLOS One 2016, 11(3), e0149699.
- Rehackova L, Arnott B, Araujo-Soares V, Adamson AJ, Taylor R, Sniehotta FF. Efficacy and acceptability of very low energy diets in overweight and obese people with Type 2 diabetes mellitus: a systematic review with meta-analyses. Diabetic Medicine 2016, 33(5), 580-591.
- Albani V, Celis-Morales C, Marsaux CFM, Forster H, O'Donovan CB, Woolhead C, Macready AL, Fallaize R, Navas-Carretero S, San-Cristobal R, Kolossa S, Mavrogianni C, Lambrinou CP, Moschonis G, Godlewska M, Surwillo A, Gundersen TE, Kaland SE, Manios Y, Traczyk I, Drevon CA, Gibney ER, Walsh MC, Martinez JA, Saris WHM, Daniel H, Lovegrove JA, Gibney MJ, Adamson AJ, Mathers JC, Brennan L. Exploring the association of dairy product intake with the fatty acids C15:0 and C17:0 measured from dried blood spots in a multipopulation cohort: Findings from the Food4Me study. Molecular Nutrition & Food Research 2016, 60(4), 834-845.
- Tyrrell RL, Townshend TG, Adamson AJ, Lake AA. I’m not trusted in the kitchen’: food environments and food behaviours of young people attending school and college. Journal of Public Health 2016, 38(2), 289-299.
- Mendonça NMP, Mathers JC, Adamson AJ, Martin-Ruiz C, Seal CJ, Jagger C, Hill TR. Intakes of Folate and Vitamin B12 and Biomarkers of Status in the Very Old: The Newcastle 85+ Study. Nutrients 2016, 8(10), 604.
- Mendonça N, Hill TR, Granic A, Davies K, Collerton J, Mathers JC, Siervo M, Wrieden WL, Seal C, Jagger C, Adamson AJ. Macronutrient intake and food sources in the very old: analysis of the Newcastle 85+ Study. British Journal of Nutrition 2016, 115(12), 2170-2180.
- Wham C, Teh R, Moyes SA, Rolleston A, Maru-Lanning M, Hayman K, Adamson AJ, Kerse N. Macronutrient intake in advanced age: Te Puawaitanga o Nga Tapuwae Kia Ora Tonu, Life and Living in Advanced Age: A Cohort Study in New Zealand (LiLACS NZ). British Journal of Nutrition 2016, 116(6), 1103-1115.
- Wham C, Teh R, Moyes SA, Rolleston A, Maru-Lanning M, Hayman K, Kerse N, Adamson AJ. Micronutrient intake in advanced age: Te Puāwaitanga o Ngā Tapuwae Kia ora Tonu, Life and Living in Advanced Age: A Cohort Study in New Zealand (LiLACS NZ). British Journal of Nutrition 2016, 116(10), 1754-1769.
- Rodrigues AM, Sherrington A, Penn L, Bell R, Summerbell CD, White M, Adamson AJ, Sniehotta FF. OP80 Formative evaluation of the UK NHS diabetes prevention programme demonstrator phase: review of baseline information. In: Society for Social Medicine 60th Annual Scientific Meeting. 2016, York, UK: Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health.
- Almoosawi S, Jones A, Parkinson K, Pearce M, Collins H, Adamson A. Parental perception of weight status: Influence on children's diet in the Gateshead Millennium Study. PLoS ONE 2016, 11(2), e0144931.
- McSweeney LA, Rapley T, Summerbell CD, Haighton CA, Adamson AJ. Perceptions of nursery staff and parent views of healthy eating promotion in preschool settings: an exploratory qualitative study. BMC Public Health 2016, 16, 841.
- Goffe L, Wrieden W, Penn L, Hillier-Brown F, Lake AA, Araujo-Soares V, Summerbell C, White M, Adamson AJ, Adams J. Reducing the salt added to takeaway food: within-subjects comparison of salt delivered by five and 17 holed salt shakers in controlled conditions. PLoS One 2016, 11(9), e0163093.
- Hill TR, Granic A, Davies K, Collerton J, Martin-Ruiz C, Siervo M, Mathers JC, Adamson AJ, Francis RM, Pearce SH, Razvi S, Kirkwood TBL, Jagger C. Serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D concentration and its determinants in the very old: The Newcastle 85+ study. Osteoporosis International 2016, 27(3), 1199-1208.
- Sherrington A, Newham JJ, Bell R, Adamson A, McColl E, Araujo-Soares V. Systematic Review and meta-analysis of internet-delivered interventions providing personalised feedback for weight loss in overweight and obese adults. Obesity Reviews 2016, 17(6), 541-551.
- Leslie WS, Ford I, Sattar N, Hollingsworth KG, Adamson A, Sniehotta FF, McCombie L, Brosnahan N, Ross H, Mathers JC, Peters C, Thom G, Barnes A, Kean S, McIlvenna Y, Rodrigues A, Rehackova L, Zhyzhneuskaya S, Taylor R, Lean MEJ. The Diabetes Remission Clinical Trial (DiRECT): protocol for a cluster randomised trial. BMC Family Practice 2016, 17, 20.
- Haste A, Rodrigues AM, Penn L, Bell R, Summerbell CD, White M, Adamson AJ, Sniehotta FF. The NHS Diabetes Prevention Programme in England: Lessons learnt from process evaluation of the demonstrator site phase. In: 9th World Congress on Prevention of Diabetes and its Complications. 2016, Atlanta, GA, USA: Endocrine Practice.
- Fletcher S, Wright C, Jones A, Parkinson K, Adamson A. Tracking of toddler fruit and vegetable preferences to intake and adiposity later in childhood. Maternal and Child Nutrition 2016, 13(2), e12290.
- Hill TR, Mendonca N, Granic A, Siervo M, Jagger C, Seal CJ, Kerse N, Wham C, Adamson AJ, Mathers JC. What do we know about the nutritional status of the very old? Insights from three cohorts of advanced age from the UK and New Zealand. Proceedings of the Nutrition Society 2016, 75(3), 420-430.
- Parkinson KN, Jones AR, Tovée MJ, Ells LJ, Pearce MS, Araujo-Soares V, Adamson A. A cluster randomised trial testing an intervention to improve parents' recognition of their child's weight status: study protocol. BMC Public Health 2015, 15, 549.
- Kerse N, Teh R, Moyes SA, Broad J, Rolleston A, Gott M, Kepa M, Wham C, Hayman K, Jatrana S, Adamson A, Lumley T. Cohort Profile: Te Puawaitanga o Nga Tapuwae Kia Ora Tonu, Life and Living in Advanced Age: A Cohort Study in New Zealand (LiLACS NZ). International Journal of Epidemiology 2015.
- Mendonca N, Granic A, Mathers JC, Wrieden W, Siervo M, Seal C, Jagger C, Adamson AJ, Hill TR. Contribution of animal products to dietary intakes in the very old. In: Nutrition Society Summer Meeting 2015. 2015, Nottingham University, UK: Cambridge University Press.
- Janssen A, Basterfield L, Parkinson KN, Pearce M, Reilly JK, Adamson AJ, Reilly JJ. Determinants of changes in sedentary time and breaks in sedentary time among 9 and 12 year old children. Prevention Medicine Reports 2015, 2, 880-885.
- Granic A, Davies K, Adamson A, Kirkwood T, Hill TR, Siervo M, Mathers JC, Jagger C. Dietary Patterns and Socioeconomic Status in the Very Old: The Newcastle 85+ Study. PLoS ONE 2015, 10(10), e0139713.
- Spence S, White M, Adamson AJ, Matthews JNS. Does the use of passive or active consent affect consent or completion rates, or dietary data quality? Repeat cross-sectional survey among school children aged 11–12 years. BMJ Open 2015, 5, e006457.
- Adams J, Goffe L, Brown T, Lake AA, Summerbell C, White M, Wrieden W, Adamson AJ. Frequency and socio-demographic correlates of eating meals out and take-away meals at home: cross-sectional analysis of the UK national diet and nutrition survey, waves 1-4 (2008-12). International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity 2015, 12, 51.
- Parkinson KN, Adamson AJ, Basterfield L, Reilly JK, Le Couteur A, Reilly JJ. Influence of adiposity on health- related quality of life in the Gateshead Millennium Study cohort: Longitudinal study at 12 years. Archives of Disease in Childhood 2015, 100(8), 779-783.
- Basterfield L, Reilly JK, Pearce MS, Parkinson KN, Adamson AJ, Reilly JJ, Vella SA. Longitudinal associations between sports participation, body composition and physical activity from childhood to adolescence. Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport 2015, 18(2), 178-182.
- Janssen X, Basterfield L, Parkinson KN, Pearce MS, Reilly JK, Adamson AJ, Reilly JJ, Gateshead Millennium Study Core Team. Objective measurement of sedentary behavior: impact of non-wear time rules on changes in sedentary time. BMC Public Health 2015, 15, 504.
- Adams J, Goffe L, Adamson AJ, Halligan J, O'Brien N, Purves R, Stead M, Stocken D, White M. Prevalence and socio-demographic correlates of cooking skills in UK adults: cross-sectional analysis of data from the UK National Diet and Nutrition Survey. International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity 2015, 12(99).
- Evans EH, AraujoSoares V, Adamson AJ, Batterham AM, Brown H, Campbell M, Dombrowski SU, Guest A, Jackson D, Kwasnicka D, Ladha K, McColl E, Olivier P, Rothman AJ, Sainsbury K, Steel AJ, Steen IN, Vale L, White M, Wright P, Sniehotta FF. The NULevel trial of a scalable, technology-assisted weight loss maintenance intervention for obese adults after clinically significant weight loss: study protocol for a randomised controlled trial. Trials 2015, 16, 421.
- McSweeney L, Rapley T, Adamson A. The Preschool Child, Food Photography and a Parent's Bed; A Feasibility Study to Determine Acceptable Visual Data Collection Methods. Journal of Nutrition and Health Sciences 2015, 2(4), 406.
- Spence S, Matthews JNS, White M, Adamson AJ. A repeat cross-sectional study examining the equitable impact of nutritional standards for school lunches in England in 2008 on the diets of 4-7y olds across the socio-economic spectrum. International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity 2014, 11, 128.
- Lara J, Evans EH, O'Brien N, Moynihan PJ, Meyer TD, Adamson AJ, Errington L, Sniehotta FFS, White M, Mathers JC. Association of behaviour change techniques with effectiveness of dietary interventions among adults of retirement age: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomised controlled trials. BMC Medicine 2014, 12(10), 177.
- Foster E, Adamson A. Challenges involved in measuring intake in early life: focus on methods. Proceedings of Nutrition Society 2014, 73(2), 201-209.
- Foster E, Hawkins A, Simpson E, Adamson AJ. Developing an interactive portion size assessment system (IPSAS) for use with children. Journal of Human Nutrition and Dietetics 2014, 27(Supplement 1), 18-25.
- Adamson AJ, Baranowski T. Developing technological solutions for dietary assessment in children and young people. Journal of Human Nutrition and Dietetics 2014, 27(Supp.s1), 1-4.
- Spence S, Delve J, Stamp E, Matthews JNS, White M, Adamson AJ. Did School Food and Nutrient-Based Standards in England Impact on 11–12Y Olds Nutrient Intake at Lunchtime and in Total Diet? Repeat Cross-Sectional Study. PLoS ONE 2014, 9(11), e112648.
- Lara J, Hobbs N, Moynihan PJ, Meyer TD, Adamson AJ, Errington L, Rochester L, Sniehotta FF, White M, Mathers JC. Effectiveness of dietary interventions among adults of retirement age: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. BMC Medicine 2014, 12(1), 1-12.
- Winburn E, Charlton J, McConachie H, McColl E, Parr J, O'Hare A, Baird G, Gringras P, Wilson DC, Adamson A, Adams S, Le Couteur A. Parents' and Child Health Professionals' Attitudes Towards Dietary Interventions for Children with Autism Spectrum Disorders. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders 2014, 44(4), 747-757.
- Basterfield L, Jones AR, Parkinson KN, Reilly J, Pearce MS, Reilly JJ, Adamson AJ, Gateshead Millennium Study Core Team. Physical activity, diet and BMI in children aged 6–8 years: a cross-sectional analysis. BMJ Open 2014, 4(6), e005001.
- Foster E, Hawkins A, Delve J, Adamson AJ. Reducing the cost of dietary assessment: Self-Completed Recall and Analysis of Nutrition for use with children (SCRAN24). Journal of Human Nutrition and Dietetics 2014, 27(Supplement 1), 26-35.
- Hillier-Brown FC, Moore HJ, Lake AL, Adamson AJ, White M, Adams J, Araujo-Soares V, Abraham C, Summerbell CD. The effectiveness of interventions targeting specific out-of-home food outlets: protocol for a systematic review. Systematic Reviews 2014, 3(17).
- Mathers JC, Hill TR, Foster E, Adamson AJ, Valentine R, Rugg-Gunn AJ. Twenty years of research in the Human Nutrition Research Centre, Newcastle University, 1994-2014. Nutrition Bulletin 2014, 39(3), 266-275.
- Howel D, Stamp E, Chadwick TJ, Adamson AJ, White M. Are social inequalities widening in generalised and abdominal obesity and overweight among English adults?. PLoS One 2013, 8(11), e79027.
- Pearce MS, James PW, Franco-Villoria M, Parkinson KN, Jones AR, Basterfield L, Drewett RF, Wright CM, Adamson AJ. Creation of an Adiposity Index for Children Aged 6–8 Years: The Gateshead Millennium Study. BioMed Research International 2013, 2013, 431825.
- Adamson A. From awareness to action: Can knowledge about what constitutes a healthy diet and lifestyle be translated into sustainable behaviour change?. Nutrition Bulletin 2013, 38(1), 1-4.
- Draper AK, Adamson AJ, Clegg S, Malam S, Rigg M, Duncan S. Front of pack nutrition labelling: are multiple formats a problem for consumers?. European Journal of Public Health 2013, 23(3), 517-521.
- Bell R, Tennant PWG, McParlin C, Pearce MS, Adamson AJ, Rankin J, Robson SC. Measuring physical activity in pregnancy: a comparison of accelerometry and self completion questionnaires in overweight and obese women. European Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology and Reproductive Biology 2013, 170(1), 90-95.
- Parkinson KN, Drewett RF, Jones AR, Adamson AJ, The Gateshead Millennium Study Core Team. Mothers' judgements about their child's weight: distinguishing facts from values. Child: Care Health and Development 2013, 39(5), 722-727.
- Larsen PS, Kamper-Jørgensen M, Adamson A, Barros H, Bonde JP, Brescianini S, Brophy S, Casas M, Charles M, Devereux G, Eggesbø M, Fantini MP, Frey U, Gehring U, Grazuleviciene R, Henriksen TB, Hertz-Picciotto I, Heude B, Hryhorczuk DO, Inskip H, Jaddoe V, Lawlor DA, Ludvigsson J, Kelleher CC, Kiess W, Koletzko B, Kuehni CE, Kull I, Kyhl HB, Magnus P, Momas I, Murray D, Pekkanen J, Polanska K, Porta D, Poulsen G, Richiardi L, Roeleveld N, Skovgaard AM, Sram RJ, Thijs C, VanEijsden M, Wright J, Vrijheid M, NyboAndersen A. Pregnancy and birth cohort resources in Europe: a large opportunity for aetiological child health research. Paediatric and Perinatal Epidemiology 2013, 27(4), 393-414.
- Adamson A, Spence S, Reed L, Conway R, Palmer A, Stewart E, McBratney J, Carter L, Beattie S, Nelson M. School food standards in the UK: implementation and evaluation. Public Health Nutrition 2013, 16(6), 968-981.
- Spence S, Delve J, Stamp E, Matthews JNS, White M, Adamson AJ. The Impact of Food and Nutrient-Based Standards on Primary School Children's Lunch and Total Dietary Intake: A Natural Experimental Evaluation of Government Policy in England. PLoS One 2013, 8(10), e78298.
- Parkinson KN, Drewett RF, Le Couteur A, Adamson AJ, The GMS Core Team. Earlier predictors of eating disorder symptoms in 9-year old children. A longitudinal Study. Appetite 2012, 59(1), 161-167.
- Pearce MS, Basterfield L, Mann KD, Parkinson KN, Adamson AJ, Reilly JJ, Gateshead Millennium Study. Early Predictors of Objectively Measured Physical Activity and Sedentary Behaviour in 8-10 Year Old Children: The Gateshead Millennium Study. PLoS One 2012, 7(6), e37975.
- Basterfield L, Pearce MS, Adamson AJ, Reilly JK, Parkinson KN, Reilly JJ, Gateshead Millennium Study Core Team. Effect of choice of outcome measure on studies of the etiology of obesity in children. Annals of Epidemiology 2012, 22(12), 888-891.
- Adams J, Tyrrell R, Adamson AJ, White M. Effect of Restrictions on Television Food Advertising to Children on Exposure to Advertisements for 'Less Healthy' Foods: Repeat Cross-sectional Study. PLoS One 2012, 7(2), e31578.
- Curtis P, Adamson A, Mathers J. Effects on nutrient intake of a family-based intervention to promote increased consumption of low-fat starchy foods through education, cooking skills and personalised goal setting: the Family Food and Health Project. British Journal of Nutrition 2012, 107(12), 1833-1844.
- Basterfield L, Pearce MS, Adamson AJ, Frary JK, Parkinson KN, Wright CM, Reilly JJ, Gateshead Millennium Study Core Team. Physical Activity, Sedentary Behavior, and Adiposity in English Children. American Journal of Preventive Medicine 2012, 42(5), 445-451.
- Adams J, Halligan J, Burges Watson D, Ryan V, Penn L, Adamson AJ, White M. The Change4Life Convenience Store Programme to Increase Retail Access to Fresh Fruit and Vegetables: A Mixed Methods Process Evaluation. PLoS One 2012, 7(6), e39431.
- Wright CM, Cox KM, Sherriff A, Franco-Villoria M, Pearce MS, Adamson AJ, Gateshead Millennium Study Core Team. To what extent do weight gain and eating avidity during infancy predict later adiposity?. Public Health Nutrition 2012, 15(4), 656-662.
- McSweeney LA, Summerbell CD, Rapley T, Adamson AJ. Can nursery schools help prevent childhood obesity?. In: PROCEEDINGS OF THE NUTRITION SOCIETY. 2011, EDINBURGH BLDG, SHAFTESBURY RD, CB2 8RU CAMBRIDGE, ENGLAND: CAMBRIDGE UNIV PRESS.
- Parkinson KN, Pearce M, Dale A, Reilly JJ, Drewett RF, Wright CM, Relton CL, McArdle P, Le Couteur AS, Adamson AJ. Cohort Profile: The Gateshead Millennium Study. International Journal of Epidemiology 2011, 40(2), 308-317.
- Basterfield L, Adamson AJ, Frary JK, Parkinson KN, Pearce MS, Reilly JJ. Longitudinal Study of Physical Activity and Sedentary Behavior in Children. Pediatrics 2011, 127(1), e24-e30.
- Jones AR, Parkinson KN, Drewett RF, Hyland RM, Pearce MS, Adamson AJ, and the Gateshead Millennium Study core team. Parental perceptions of weight status in children: the Gateshead Millennium Study. International Journal of Obesity 2011, 35(7), 953-962.
- Adams J, Tyrrell R, Adamson A, White M. Socio-economic differences in exposure to television food advertisements in the UK: a cross-sectional study of advertisements broadcast in one television region. Public Health Nutrition 2011, 15(3), 487-494.
- Basterfield L, Adamson AJ, Pearce MS, Reilly JJ, GMS team. Stability of habitual physical activity and sedentary behaviour monitoring by accelerometry in 6-8 year olds. Journal of Physical Activity & Health 2011, 8(4), 543-547.
- Biss TT, Adamson AJ, Seal CJ, Kamali F. The potential impact of dietary vitamin K status on anticoagulation control in children receiving warfarin. Pediatric Hematology and Oncology 2011, 28(5), 425-427.
- Craigie AM, Lake AA, Kelly SA, Adamson AJ, Mathers JC. Tracking of obesity-related behaviours from childhood to adulthood: A systematic review. Maturitas 2011, 70(3), 266-284.
- Parkinson KN, Drewett RF, Jones AR, Wright CM, Dale A, Pearce NS, Adamson AJ, Gateshead Millennium Study Core Team. When do mothers think their child is overweight?. International Journal of Obesity 2011, 35(4), 510-516.
- Stead M, McDermott L, MacKintosh AM, Adamson A. Why healthy eating is bad for young people's health: identity, belonging and food. Social Science & Medicine 2011, 72(7), 1131-1139.
- King AC, Parkinson KN, Adamson AJ, Murray L, Besson H, Reilly JJ, Basterfield L. Correlates of objectively measured physical activity and sedentary behaviour in English children. European Journal of Public Health 2010, 21(4), 424-431.
- Parkinson KN, Drewett RF, le Couteur A, Adamson AJ. Do maternal ratings of appetite in infants predict later Child Eating Behviour Questionnaire scores and body mass index?. Appetite 2010, 54(1), 186-190.
- Speed C, Heaven B, Adamson A, Bond J, Corbett S, Lake AA, May C, Vanoli A, McMeekin P, Moynihan P, Rubin G, Steen IN, McColl E. LIFELAX - diet and LIFEstyle versus LAXatives in the management of chronic constipation in older people: randomised controlled trial. Health Technology Assessment 2010, 14(52), 1-251.
- McParlin C, Robson SC, Tennant P, Besson H, Rankin J, Adamson A, Pearce MS, Bell R. Objectively measured physical activity during pregnancy: a study in obese and overweight women. BMC Pregnancy & Childbirth 2010, 10(1), 76.
- Foster E, Mathers JC, Adamson AJ. Packaged food intake by British children aged 0 to 6 years. Food Additives & Contaminants: Part A - Chemistry, Analysis, Control, Exposure & Risk Assessment 2010, 27(3), 380-388.
- Burgoine T, Lake AA, Alvanides S, Stamp EC, Mathers JC, Adamson AJ. Changing foodscapes 1980-2000, using the ASH30 Study. Appetite 2009, 53(2), 157-165.
- Lake AA, Hyland RM, Rugg-Gunn A, Mathers JC, Adamson AJ. Combining social and nutritional perspectives: from adolescence to adulthood (the ASH30 Study). British Food Journal 2009, 111(11), 1200-1211.
- Jones AR, Hyland RM, Parkinson KN, Adamson AJ, The Gateshead Millennium Study Core Team. Developing a focus group approach for exploring parents' perspectives on childhood overweight. Nutrition Bulletin 2009, 34(2), 214–219.
- Lake AA, Townshend T, Alvanides S, Stamp E, Adamson AJ. Diet, physical activity, sedentary behaviour and perceptions of the environment in young adults. Journal of Human Nutrition and Dietetics 2009, 22(5), 444-454.
- Adamson AJ. Dietary assessment at the end of life's spectrum. European Journal of Clinical Nutrition 2009, 63, S5-S5.
- Foster E, Adamson AJ, Anderson AS, Barton KL, Wrieden WL. Estimation of portion size in children's dietary assessment: lessons learnt. European Journal of Clinical Nutrition 2009, 63, S45-S49.
- Adamson AJ, Collerton J, Davies K, Foster E, Jagger C, Stamp E, Mathers JC, Kirkwood T, The Newcastle 85+ Core Study Team. Nutrition in advanced age: dietary assessment in the Newcastle 85+ Study. European Journal of Clinical Nutrition 2009, 63(S1), S6-S18.
- Craigie AM, Matthews JNS, Rugg-Gunn AJ, Lake AA, Mathers JC, Adamson AJ. Raised adolescent body mass index predicts the development of adiposity and a central distribution of body fat in adulthood: a longitudinal study. Obesity Facts 2009, 2(3), 150-156.
- Lake AA, Adamson AJ, Craigie AM, Rugg-Gunn AJ, Mathers JC. Tracking of Dietary Intake and Factors Associated with Dietary Change from Early Adolescence to Adulthood: The ASH30 Study. Obesity Facts 2009, 2(3), 157-165.
- Foster E, Matthews JNS, Lloyd J, Marshall L, Mathers JC, Nelson M, Barton KL, Wrieden WL, Cornelissen P, Harris J, Adamson AJ. Children's estimates of food portion size: The development and evaluation of three portion size assessment tools for use with children. British Journal of Nutrition 2008, 99(1), 175-184.
- Foster E, O'Keeffe M, Matthews JNS, Mathers JC, Nelson M, Barton KL, Wrieden WL, Adamson AJ. Children's estimates of food portion size: The effect of timing of dietary interview on the accuracy of children's portion size estimates. British Journal of Nutrition 2008, 99(1), 185-190.
- Wrieden WL, Longbottom PJ, Adamson AJ, Ogston SA, Payne A, Haleem MA, Barton KL. Estimation of typical food portion sizes for children of different ages in Great Britain. British Journal of Nutrition 2008, 99(6), 1344-1353.
- Bradbury J, Mulvaney CE, Adamson AJ, Seal CJ, Mathers JC, Moynihan PJ. Sources of total, non-milk extrinsic, and intrinsic and milk sugars in the diets of older adults living in sheltered accommodation. British Journal of Nutrition 2008, 99(3), 649-652.
- Basterfield L, Adamson AJ, Parkinson KN, Maute U, Xin-Li P, Reilly JJ. Surveillance of physical activity in the UK is flawed: validation of the Health Survey for England Physical Activity Questionnaire. Archives of Disease in Childhood 2008, 93(12), 1054-1058.
- Pearce MS, Relton CL, Unwin NC, Adamson AJ, Smith GD. The relation between diarrhoeal episodes in infancy and both blood pressure and sodium intake in later life: The Newcastle Thousand Families Study. Journal of Human Hypertension 2008, 22(8), 582-584.
- Rugg-Gunn AJ, Fletcher ES, Matthews JNS, Hackett AF, Moynihan PJ, Kelly SAM, Adams JM, Mathers JC, Adamson AJ. Changes in consumption of sugars by English adolescents over 20 years. Public Health Nutrition 2007, 10(4), 354-363.
- Rugg-Gunn AJ, Adamson AJ. Commentary on Rugg-Gunn A.J., Adamson A.J., Appleton D.R., Butler T.J. & Hackett A.F. (1993) Sugars consumption by 379 11-12-year-old English children in 1990 compared with results in 1980. Journal of Human Nutrition and Dietetics; 6, 419-431. Journal of Human Nutrition and Dietetics 2007, 20(3), 184-185.
- Lake AA, Speed C, Brookes AL, Heaven BRJ, Adamson AJ, Moynihan PJ, Corbett SS, McColl EMM. Development of a series of patient information leaflets for constipation using a range of cognitive interview techniques: LIFELAX. BMC Health Services Research 2007, 7(3).
- Lake AA, Hyland RM, Rugg-Gunn AJ, Wood CE, Mathers JC, Adamson AJ. Healthy eating: Perceptions and practice (the ASH30 study). Appetite 2007, 48(2), 176-182.
- Hyland RM, Wood CE, Adamson AJ, Mathers JC, Hill M, Seal CJ, Moynihan PJ. Peer educators' perceptions of training for and implementing a community-based nutrition intervention for older adults. Journal of Nutrition for the Elderly 2007, 25(3-4), 147-171.
- Rugg-Gunn AJ, Adamson AJ, Appleton DR, Butler TJ, Hackett AF. Sugars consumption by 379 11-12-year-old English children in 1990 compared with results in 1980. Journal of Human Nutrition and Dietetics 2007, 20(3), 171-183.
- Moynihan PJ, Mulvaney CE, Adamson AJ, Seal C, Steen N, Mathers JC, Zohouri FV. The nutrition knowledge of older adults living in sheltered housing accommodation. Journal of Human Nutrition and Dietetics 2007, 20(5), 446-458.
- Foster E, Matthews JNS, Nelson M, Harris JM, Mathers JC, Adamson AJ. Accuracy of estimates of food portion size using food photographs - The importance of using age-appropriate tools. Public Health Nutrition 2006, 9(4), 509-514.
- Nelson P, Adamson A, Moore H. Conducting randomised controlled trials in primary care: Lessons from an obesity management trial. British Journal of General Practice 2006, 56(530), 674-679.
- Lake AA, Hyland RM, Mathers JC, Rugg-Gunn AJ, Wood CE, Adamson AJ. Food shopping and preparation among the 30-somethings: whose job is it? (The ASH30 study). British Food Journal 2006, 108(6), 475-486.
- Lake AA, Mathers JC, Rugg-Gunn AJ, Adamson AJ. Longitudinal change in food habits between adolescence (11–12 years) and adulthood (32–33 years): the ASH30 Study. Journal of Public Health 2006, 28(1), 10-16.
- Hyland R, Stacy R, Adamson AJ, Moynihan PJ. Nutrition-related health promotion through an after-school project: The responses of children and their families. Social Science & Medicine 2006, 62(3), 758-768.
- Kelly SAM, Summerbell C, Rugg-Gunn AJ, Adamson A, Fletcher E, Moynihan PJ. Comparison of methods to estimate non-milk extrinsic sugars and their application to sugars in the diet of young adolescents. British Journal of Nutrition 2005, 94(1), 114-124.
- Hyland RM, Hill M, Adamson AJ, Seal C, Mathers JC, Moynihan PJ. Perceptions of peer educators on their training and delivery of a dietary intervention to older adults. Journal of Human Nutrition and Dietetics 2005, 18(6), 475.
- Anderson AS, Porteous LEG, Foster E, Higgins C, Stead M, Hetherington M, Ha M-A, Adamson AJ. The impact of a school-based nutrition education intervention on dietary intake and cognitive and attitudinal variables relating to fruits and vegetables. Public Health Nutrition 2005, 8(6), 650-656.
- Craigie AM, Mathers JC, Rugg-Gunn AJ, Adamson AJ. Change in nutrient intake between adolescence and adulthood: A 21-year longitudial study. Nutrition Bulletin 2004, 29(3), 204-212.
- Zohouri FV, Rugg-Gunn AJ, Fletcher ES, Hackett AF, Moynihan PJ, Mathers JC, Adamson AJ. Changes in water intake of Northumbrian adolescents 1980 to 2000. British Dental Journal 2004, 196(9), 547-552.
- Fletcher ES, Rugg-Gunn AJ, Matthews JNS, Hackett A, Moynihan PJ, Mathers JC, Adamson AJ. Changes over 20 years in macronutrient intake and body mass index in 11- to 12-year-old adolescents living in Northumberland. British Journal of Nutrition 2004, 92(2), 321-333.
- Lake AA, Adamson AJ, Hyland RM, Mathers JC. Dietary change and perceptions of change over time. Nutrition Bulletin 2004, 29(3), 199-203.
- Adamson AJ, Mathers JC. Effecting dietary change. Proceedings of the Nutrition Society 2004, 63(4), 537-547.
- Lake AA, Rugg-Gunn AJ, Hyland RM, Wood CE, Mathers JC, Adamson AJ. Longitudinal dietary change from adolescence to adulthood: perceptions, attributions and evidence. Appetite 2004, 42(3), 255-263.
- Moore H, Greenwood D, Gill T, Waine C, Soutter J, Adamson A. A cluster randomised trial to evaluate a nutrition training programme. British Journal of General Practice 2003, 53, 271-277.
- Moore H, Summerbell CD, Greenwood DC, Tovey P, Griffiths J, Henderson M, Hesketh K, Woolgar S, Adamson AJ. Improving management of obesity in primary care: Cluster randomised trial. British Medical Journal 2003, 327(7423), 1085-1088.
- Anderson AS, Bell A, Adamson A, Moynihan P. A questionnaire assessment of nutrition knowledge - validity and reliability issues. Public Health Nutrition 2002, 5(3), 497-503.
- Moore H, Adamson AJ. Nutrition interventions by primary care staff: a survey of involvement, knowledge and attitude. Public Health Nutrition 2002, 5(4), 531-536.
- Moynihan PJ, Rugg-Gunn AJ, Butler TJ, Adamson AJ. Dietary intake of folate by adolescents and the potential effect of flour fortification with folic acid. British Journal of Nutrition 2001, 86(4), 529-534.
- Adamson AJ, Foster E, Butler TJ, Bennet S, Walker M. Non-diabetic relatives of type 2 diabetic families: Dietary intake contributes to the increased risk of diabetes. Diabetic Medicine 2001, 18(12), 984-990.
- Rugg-Gunn AJ, Fletcher ES, Adamson AJ, Moynihan PJ. Sugars consumption in English adolescents in 1980, 1990 and 2000. Journal of Dental Research (special issue) 2001, 80.
- Moore H, Summerbell CD, Vail A, Greenwood DC, Adamson AJ. The design features and practicalities of conducting a pragmatic cluster randomized trial of obesity management in primary care. Statistics in Medicine: Special Issue: Design and Analysis of Cluster Randomized Trials 2001, 20(3), 331-340.
- Moynihan PJ, Cowell T, Stacy R, McNamee P, Adamson A. The Good Food Club: setting up an after school food club to teach practical food preparation using healthy foods, at Key Stage 3. The Journal of Design and Technology Education 2001, 6(3), 239-245.
- Adamson A, Curtis P, Loughridge J, Rugg-Gunn A, Spendiff A, Mathers J. A family-based intervention to increase consumption of starchy foods. Nutrition and Food Science 2000, 30(1), 19-23.
- Moore H, Adamson A, Gill T, Waine C. Nutrition and the health care agenda: a primary care perspective. Family Practice 2000, 17(2), 197-202.
- Lamont, D. W., Parker, L., White, M. J. R., Unwin, N. C., Bennett, S. M. A., Cohen, M., Richardson, D. L., Dickinson, H. O., Adamson, A. J., Alberti, K. G. M. M., Craft, A. W. Risk of cardiovascular disease measured by carotid intima-media thickness at age 49-51: Lifecourse study. British Medical Journal 2000, 320(7230), 273-278.
- White M, Carlin L, Rankin J, Adamson A. Effectiveness of interventions to promote healthy eating in people from ethnic groups: a review. London, UK: Health Education Authority, 1998.
- Adamson,A.J. Dietitians working in the community. Journal of Community Nursing 1997, 11, 4-8.
- A.J. Adamson,J.C. Mathers,A.J. Rugg-Gunn,C.J. Seal. From cells to populations - Improving Nutrition. Wallingford: CAB International, 1997.
- Beighton D, Adamson A, Rugg-Gunn A. Associations between dietary intake, dental caries experience and salivary bacterial levels in 12-year-old English schoolchildren. Archives of Oral Biology 1996, 41(3), 271-280.
- Moynihan P, Adamson A, Rugg-Gunn A, Appleton D, Butler T. Dietary sources of calcium and the contribution of flour fortification to total calcium intake in the diets of Northumbrian adolescents. British Journal of Nutrition 1996, 75(3), 495-505.
- Adamson AJ, Rugg-Gunn AJ, Butler TJ, Appleton DR. The contribution of foods from outside the home to the nutrient intake of young adolescents. Journal of Human Nutrition and Dietetics 1996, 9(1), 55-68.
- Moynihan PJ, Anderson C, Adamson AJ, Rugg-Gunn AJ, Appleton DR, Butler TM. Dietary sources of iron in English adolescents. Journal of Human Nutrition and Dietetics 1994, 7(3), 225-230.
- Rugg-Gunn AJ, Adamson AJ, Hackett AF. Sugars consumption by 379 11-12 year old English children in 1990 compared with results in 1980. Journal of Human Nutrition and Dietetics 1993, 6(5), 419-431.
- Moynihan PJ, Adamson AJ, Skinner R, Rugg-Gunn AJ, Appleton DR, Butler TJ. The intake of nutrients by Northumbrian adolescents from one-parent families and from unemployed families. Journal of Human Nutrition and Dietetics 1993, 6(5), 433-441.
- Adamson AJ, Rugg-Gunn AJ, Appleton DR, Butler TJ, Hackett AF. Dietary sources of energy, protein, unavailable carbohydrate and fat in 11-12 year old English children in 1990 compared with results in 1980. Journal of Human Nutrition and Dietetics 1992, 5(6), 371-385.
- Adamson AJ, Rugg-Gunn A, Butler T, Appleton D, Hackett A. Nutritional intake, height and weight of 11 to 12 year old Northumbrian Children in 1990 compared with information obtained in 1980. British Journal of Nutrition 1992, 68(3), 543-563.