Professor Barbara Hanratty
Prof of Primary Care & Public Health
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 1121
- Address: Institute of Health and Society / Newcastle University Institute for Ageing
Biomedical Research Building (Second floor)
Campus for Ageing and Vitality
Newcastle upon Tyne
My research is concerned with older adults and encompasses three complementary themes; end of life care, loneliness and isolation and care homes. Equitable access to care, patient and caregiver experiences and the influence of socioeconomic disadvantage are particular interests.
I trained in general practice and public health, and have worked in low income countries. My clinical work is as a GP and I am also an honorary consultant in public health.
Training lead, Newcastle School for Primary Care Research
Member Institute of Health & Society Executive Board
Medicine MBChB, University of Bristol
Masters in Public Health (Distinction), University of Leeds
Masters in Health Economics, University of York
Doctorate of Medicine, University of Liverpool
DCH, DRCOG, MRCGP, FFPH
NIHR Career Development Fellow / SL, Dept of Health Sciences, University of York, HYMS
Clinical Lecturer, MRC Fellow, Senior Lecturer / GP, Dept of Public Health, University of Liverpool
Trainee in Public Health Medicine, Northern & Yorkshire
GP /Public health worker in St Lucia, Romania, Karnataka, India
Honours and awards
Michael O’Brien prize, Membership of the Faculty of Public Health
MRC Special Research Training Fellowship
Selected as a member of the ‘Brisbane Initiative Cohort’
NIHR Career Development Fellowship
NIHR Ashridge Leadership training
- Older adult health and wellbeing
- End of life care
- Frailty in primary care
- Social relationships and health
- Care home health
- Equity in health and health care
- Liver disease in primary care - from early detection to end of life care
I am currently leading a programme of work on care home health, and have ongoing research projects in end of life care, including the costs of informal caregiving, social relationships and health.
With colleagues in the social care theme, Digital Economic Research Centre, I am developing an action-oriented programme of cross-disciplinary research into new approaches to digital social care. Particular areas of interest include the use digital technology to: (a) identify older adults with increasing social care needs; (b) tackle loneliness and social isolation amongst older people and (c) link and support social care workers and communities to enhance quality of care.
Hanratty B, Craig D, Brittain K, Vines J, Wilson P, Spilsbury K. NIHR HS&DR Innovation to enhance health in care homes: Rapid evidence synthesis. £225,884, 2016-17
Hanratty B, Robinson L, Duncan R, Brittain K, Gage H, Spilsbury K, Matthews F. NIHR Health Services Delivery Research Programme. Organisation of General Practice for Care Homes: A multi-method Study- £593,860 2016-18
Hanratty B, Robinson L et al. Pre-evaluation exploratory study of a Care Home Vanguard programme. approx £20,000 (Jan - March) 2016
Hanratty B, Exley C, Kaner E, Hudson M, Orr J, Holt T. NIHR School for Primary Care Research - Liver disease in primary care £43,000, 2015-16
Hanratty B, Robinson L, Exley C, Matthews F, Iliffe S, Barclay S. NIHR SPCR - Can a frailty index be used in primary care practice to improve prognostication at the end of life? £63,000, 2015-16
Hanratty B, Flemming K, Grande G, Payne S. ‘Do older carers of patients dying with non-cancer diagnoses have different experiences and needs for support?’ BMA Strutt and Harper fund £38,581, 2013-2016
Current funding as a co-applicant:
Robinson A, Kaner E, Hanratty B, Jagger C, Steel J, Thompson R. Newcastle University Membership of NIHR School for Primary Care Research (£30M across nine member universities). 2015-2020
Olivier P. et al, including Hanratty B. The Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council. Next Stage Digital Economy Research Centre £4,977,478.65
Roman E, Thomson R, Hanratty B, Manca A et al. Facilitating Patient Choice in Haemato-oncology. NIHR Programme Grant for Applied Research, £999,516. 2015-18
Young J, Clegg A, Mountain G, Noble M, Nolan M, Spilsbury K, Hanratty B. ‘Primary care-based management of frailty in older people’ NIHR Collaboration for Leadership in Applied Health Research and Care, Yorks & Humber. £992,407, 2014-2018
Salisbury C, Hobbs R, … Robinson L, Hanratty B et al. NIHR SPCR. Understanding the volume and content of general practice consultations: the 5th National Morbidity Study £292,667 2015-17
Valtorta N, Hanratty B, Gilbody S, Kanaan M. NIHR Doctoral Fellowship, ‘Developing effective interventions to prevent or address the adverse effects of loneliness on the health of older people,’ £234,057 2013-2016
Kaner E, Hanratty B, Newham J, Presseau J, Vale L. Prioritizing service improvement through research. Newcastle W, E & Central Clinical Commission Group, Research Capability Funding £126,000. 2014-16
Bareham B, Kaner E, Hanratty B. NIHR SPCR Studentship. Alcohol and older adults in primary care. £60,000 2015-2018
O’Donnell A, Kaner E, Hanratty B. NIHR SPCR Post-doctoral fellowship. Mixed-methods assessment of the impact of financial & organisational change on screening & brief alcohol intervention delivery in English primary care. £135,000 2015-17
Grande G, Hanratty B, Pilling M, Van den Berg B. Uncovering the contribution, costs and economic value of family care-giving towards the end of life: National Survey and Economic Evaluation. Dimbleby Cancer Care, £117,675. 2015-16
Examiner for critical appraisal and SSC assignments
Biomedical Sciences BSc
Lecture (ageing and public health)
Interim module coordinator Health Protection, MSc Public Health and Health Services Research, 2016-17
Masters dissertation supervision and examiner
MSc Public Health current students- Robert Barker, Kavita Chawla
MSc student/doctoral trainee, Digital Civics, OpenLab Helen Rice, (Home care workers and technology)
NHS Trainees Supervision
General Practice - Robert Barker, Helen Jarvis, (Academic innovative posts, Northumbria GP VTS)
Public Health - Kavita Crawla, Melissa Brown, Nicole Ahmed
NIHR SSCR capacity building award 2016-17
Schreuders L. Understanding the prevalence, care and management of frailty in care home residents NIHR School for Social Care Research - Building research capacity in social care research, personal award. University of Leeds. Spilsbury K and Hanratty B supervisors.
- Bethany Bareham NIHR SPCR doctoral studentship 2015-18 (Exploring older adults’ and practitioners’ perceptions of risks and benefits for alcohol consumption in old age)
- Daniel Stowe PhD studentship 2016-19 (Frailty in primary care)
- Nicole Valtorta, NIHR doctoral student, University of York 2013-16). (Developing effective interventions to prevent or address the adverse effects of loneliness and isolation on the health of older people)
- May Moonan, MD student, University of Liverpool with Margaret Whitehead, Gillian Maudsley. (studies temporarily suspended)
- Louise Roper, PhD student, University of Liverpool. (Resilience in patients and bereaved carers at the end of life). (studies temporarily suspended)
- Stocker R, Bamford C, Brittain K, Duncan R, Moffatt S, Robinson L, Hanratty B. Care home services at the vanguard: stakeholder views on the development and evaluation of novel, integrated approaches to enhancing health care in care homes. BMJ Open 2018, 8, e017419.
- Bareham BK, Kaner E, Spencer LP, Hanratty B. Drinking in later life: a systematic review and thematic synthesis of qualitative studies exploring older people's perceptions and experiences. Age and Ageing 2018, Epub ahead of print.
- Stow D, Matthews FE, Barclay S, Iliffe S, Clegg A, De Biase S, Robinson L, Hanratty B. Evaluating frailty scores to predict mortality in older adults using data from population based electronic health records: case control study. Age and Ageing 2018, 47(4), 564-569.
- Standing HC, Jarvis H, Orr J, Exley C, Hudson M, Kaner E, Hanratty B. General practitioners' experiences and perceptions of early detection of liver disease: a qualitative study in primary care. British Journal of General Practice 2018, 68(676), e743-e749.
- Valtorta NK, Collingridge Moore D, Barron L, Stow D, Hanratty B. Older Adults’ Social Relationships and Health Care Utilization: A Systematic Review. American Journal of Public Health 2018, 108(4), e1-e10.
- Russell S, Ogunbayo OJ, Newham JJ, Heslop-Marshall K, Netts P, Hanratty B, Beyer F, Kaner E. Qualitative systematic review of barriers and facilitators to self-management of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: views of patients and healthcare professionals. npj Primary Care Respiratory Medicine 2018, 28, 2.
- Yadegarfar ME, Jagger C, Duncan R, Fouweather T, Hanratty B, Parker S, Robinson L. Use of primary care and other healthcare services between age 85 and 90 years: longitudinal analysis of a single-year birth cohort, the Newcastle 85+ study. BMJ Open 2018, 8, e019218.
- Bareham B, Kaner E, Spencer L, Hanratty B. A Qualitative Systematic Review Exploring Roles, Risks, and Social Patterns of Drinking in Later Life. In: 21st International Association of Gerontology and Geriatrics (IAGG) World Congress. 2017, San Francisco: The Gerontological Society of America.
- Green I, Stow D, Matthews FE, Hanratty B. Changes over time in the health and functioning of older people moving into care homes: Analysis of data from the English Longitudinal Study of Ageing. Age and Ageing 2017, 46(4), 693-696.
- Jarvis H, Hanratty B. Detecting liver disease in primary care: Are we ready for change?. British Journal of General Practice 2017, 67(658), 202-203.
- Newham JJ, Presseau J, Heslop-Marshall K, Russell S, Ogunbayo OJ, Netts P, Hanratty B, Kaner E. Features of self-management interventions for people with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease associated with improved health-related quality of life and reduced emergency department visits: a systematic review of reviews with meta-analysis. International Journal of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease 2017, 12, 1705-1720.
- Standing H, Jarvis H, Orr J, Exley C, Hudson M, Kaner E, Hanratty B. How can primary care enhance end-of-life care for liver disease? Qualitative study of general practitioners' perceptions and experiences. BMJ Open 2017, 7, e017106.
- Cooper E, Spilsbury K, McCaughan D, Thompson C, Butterworth T, Hanratty B. Priorities for the professional development of registered nurses in nursing homes: a Delphi study. Age and Ageing 2017, 46(1), 39-45.
- Rowland C, Hanratty B, Pilling M, van den Berg B, Grande G. The contributions of family care-givers at end of life: A national post-bereavement census survey of cancer carers’ hours of care and expenditures. Palliative Medicine 2017, 31(4), 346-355.
- Ogunbayo OJ, Russell S, Newham JJ, Heslop-Marshall K, Netts P, Hanratty B, Kaner K. Understanding the factors affecting self-management of COPD from the perspectives of healthcare practitioners. Primary Care Respiratory Medicine 2017, 27, 54.
- Newham JJ, Heslop-Marshall K, Netts P, Hanratty B, Kaner E, Presseau J. Effectivness of self-management interventions in people with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD): A meta-analysis. In: ICBM 2016. 2016, Melbourne, Australia: Springer.
- Orr JG, Thomas RC, Stow D, Matthews F, Hanratty B, Jones D, Hudson M. Eleven-year mortality and referral practices associated with abnormal alanine aminotransferase (ALT) results. In: 67th Annual Meeting of the American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases: The Liver Meeting 2016. 2016, Washington DC: Wiley-Blackwell.
- O'Donnell A, Haighton C, Chappel D, Shevills C, Hanratty B, Kaner E. Impact of financial incentives on the implementation of screening and brief alcohol interventions by primary healthcare professionals. In: International Congress of Behavioral Medicine. 2016, Melbourne, Australia: Springer.
- Valtorta NK, Kanaan M, Gilbody S, Ronzi S, Hanratty B. Loneliness and social isolation as risk factors for coronary heart disease and stroke: systematic review and meta-analysis of longitudinal observational studies. Heart 2016, 102(13), 1009-1016.
- Valtorta NK, Kanaan M, Gilbody S, Hanratty B. Loneliness, social isolation and social relationships: what are we measuring? A novel framework for classifying and comparing tools. BMJ Open 2016, 6(4), e010799.
- Milligan C, Neary D, Payne S, Hanratty B, Irwin P, Dowrick C. Older men and social activity: a scoping review of Men's Sheds and other gendered interventions. Ageing and Society 2016, 36(5), 895-923.
- Hanratty B, Lowson E, Grande G, Payne S, Addington-Hall J, Valtorta N, Seymour J. Transitions at the end of life for older adults – patient, carer and professional perspectives: a mixed-methods study. Health Services and Delivery Research 2014, 2(17).
- Hanratty B, Lowson E, Grande G, Addington-Hall J, Seymour J, Payne S. A study of socioeconomic disadvantage and end-of-life hospital admissions for older people with heart failure and lung cancer in England. 2013, B M J Group.
- Lowson E, Hanratty B, Holmes L, Addington-Hall J, Grande G, Payne S, Seymour J. From 'conductor' to 'second fiddle': older adult care recipients' perspectives on transitions in family caring at hospital admission. International Journal of Nursing Studies 2013, 50(9), 1197-1205.
- Hanratty B, Valtorta NK, Lowson E. Inter-professional relationships: an overlooked influence on end-of-life transitions for older adults:A qualitative study in England. Gertontologist 2013, 53, 73-74.
- Hanratty B, Valtorta NK, Lowson E, Grande G, Addington-Hall J, Payne SA, Seymour J. Inter-professional relationships:an overlooked influence on end-of-life transitions for older adults: A qualitative study in England. In: Gerontological Society of America 66th Annual Scientific Meeting. 2013, New Orleans.
- Hanratty B, Valtorta NK. Loneliness, social isolation and the health of older adults: The costs of inaction. Gerontologist 2013, 53 Supplement 1, 551.
- Hanratty B, Valtorta N, Moore D. Loneliness, social isolation and the health of older adults: The economic costs of inaction. In: Gerontological Society of America 66th Annual Scientific Meeting. 2013, New Orleans.
- Collingridge-Moore D, Hanratty B. Out of sight, out of mind? a review of data available on the health of care home residents in longitudinal and nationally representative cross-sectional studies in the UK and Ireland. Age and Ageing 2013, 42(6), 798-803.
- Valtorta N, Hanratty B, Lowson E, Grande G, Addington-Hall J, Seymour J, Payne S. Recognising the influence of inter-professional relations on end of life care transitions: views of bereaved carers and professionals. 2013.
- Valtorta NK, Hanratty B. Socioeconomic variation in the financial consequences of ill health for older peoplewith chronic diseases: a systematic review. Maturitas 2013, 74(4), 313-333.
- Hanratty B, Addington-Hall J, Arthur A, Cooper L, Grande G, Payne S, Seymour J. What is different about living alone with cancer in older age? A qualitative study of experiences and preferences for care. BMC Family Practice 2013, 14, 22.
- Hanratty B, Lowson E, Holmes L, Grande G, Jacoby A, Payne S, Seymour J, Whitehead M. Breaking bad news sensitively; what is important to patients in their last year of life?. BMJ Supportive and Palliative Care 2012, 2(1), 24-28.
- Hanratty B, Lowson E, Holmes L, Grande G, Addington-Hall J, Payne S, Seymour J. Funding health and social services for older people - a qualitative study of care recipients in the last year of life. Journal of the Royal Society of Medicine 2012, 105(5), 201-207.
- Valtorta N, Hanratty B. Loneliness, isolation and the health of older adults: do we need a new research agenda?. Journal of the Royal Society of Medicine 2012, 105(12), 518-522.
- Hanratty B, Milton B, Ashton M, Whitehead M. 'McDonalds and KFC, it's never going to happen': the challenges of working with food outlets to tackle the obesogenic environment. Journal of Public Health 2012, 34(4), 548-54.
- Hanratty B, Holmes L, Lowson E, Grande G, Addington-Hall J, Payne S, Seymour J. Older adults' experiences of transitions between care settings at the end of life in England: a qualitative interview study. Journal of Pain and Symptom Management 2012, 44(1), 74-83.
- Hanratty B, Farmer S. The new UK focus on well-being:what will it mean for tackling social inequalities in health?. Journal of Public Health 2012, 34(1), 2-4.
- Farmer S, Hanratty B. The relationship between subjective wellbeing, low income and substance use among schoolchildren in the north west of England: a cross-sectional study. Journal of Public Health 2012, 34(4), 512-522.
- Moonan M, Hanratty B, Whitehead MM. Which approach to vitamin supplementation for mothers and children is more effective, targeted or universal? A mixed methods study in the North West of England. European Journal of Public Health 2012, 22 Supplement 2, 216-217.
- Moonan M, Hanratty B, Whitehead MM. Which is more effective, a universal or targeted approach to implementing the national Healthy Start programme? A mixed methods study. Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health 2012, 66 Supplement 1, A44-A45.
- Moonan M, Hanratty B, Whitehead M. Which is more Effective, A Universal or Targeted Approach, to Implementing the National Health Start Programme? A Mixed Methods Study. In: Society for Social Medicine 56th Annual Scientific Meeting. 2012, London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine Programme and abstracts.
- Hanratty B. Costs of family caregiving. In: Gott M, Ingleton C, ed. Living with ageing and dying: End of life care for older people. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2011.
- Rolls R, Seymour J, Froggatt KA, Hanratty B. Older people living alone at the end of life in the UK: Research and policy challenges. Palliative Medicine 2011, 25(6), 650-657.
- Hanratty B, Holmes L. Social inequality in dying. In: Payne S, Monroe B, Stone O, ed. Death, dying and social differences. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2011.
- Whitehead M, Hanratty B, Popay J. NHS reform; untried remedies for misdiagnosed problems?. Lancet 2010, 376(9750), 1373-5.
- Cooper L, Addington-Hall J, Arthur A, Grande G, Payne S, Seymour J, Hanratty B. Older adults with cancer-are those who live alone at the end of life a disadvantaged group? A qualitative study. In: Society for Social Medicine 54th Annual Scientific Meeting. 2010, Queen's University Belfast.
- Holmes L, Addington-Hall J, Grande G, Seymour J, Hanratty B. Out of Control? Experiences of transitions between care settings at the end of life for older adults with heart failure: a qualitative study. In: Society for Social Medicine 54th Annual Scientific Meeting. 2010, Queen's University Belfast.
- Furler J, Cleland J, Del Mar C, Hanratty B, et al. Leaders, leadership and future primary care clinical research. In: Hussain A, ed. Primary Healthcare: Concepts and Experiences. Hyderabad: ICFAI Uni.Press, 2009.
- Whitehead M, Hanratty B, Burström B. Unequal consequences of ill-health: researching the role of public policy. In: Graham, H, ed. Understanding Health Inequalities. Maidenhead: Open University Press, 2009.
- Hanratty B, Zhang T, Whitehead M. How close have universal health systems come to achieving equity in use of curative services?. In: Whitehead M, Dahlgren G, ed. Challenging the conventional wisdom on health care reforms. New York: Baywoood Publishing Co, 2008.
- Furler J, Cleland J, Del-Mar C, Hanratty B, Kadam U, Lasseron D, McCowan C, Magin P, Mitchell C, Qureshi N, Rait G, Steel N, van-Driel M, Ward A. Leaders, leadership and future primary care clinical research. BMC Family Practice 2008, 9, 52.
- Hanratty B, Goldacre M, Griffith M, Whitehead M, Capewell S. Making the most of routine data in palliative care research-a case study analysis of linked hospital and mortality data on cancer and heart failure patients in Scotland and Oxford. Palliative Medicine 2008, 22(6), 744-749.
- Hanratty B, Jacoby A, Whitehead M. Socioeconomic differences in service use, payment and receipt of illness-related benefits in the last year of life: Findings from the British Household Panel Survey. Palliative Medicine 2008, 22(3), 248-255.
- Hanratty B, Craig D, Nixon J, Rice S, Christie J, Drummond M. Are the best available clinical effectiveness data used in economic evaluations of drug therapies?. Journal of Health Services Research & Policy 2007, 12(3), 138-41.
- Hanratty B, Burstrom B, Walander A, Whitehead M. Changes in income in the years before death: a record linkage study in Stockholm County. Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health 2007, 61(5), 447-448.
- Hanratty B, Holland PJ, Jacoby A, Whitehead M. Financial stress and strain associated with terminal cancer - A review of the evidence. Palliative Medicine 2007, 21(7), 595-607.
- Hanratty B, Burstrom B, Walander A, Whitehead M. Hospital deaths in Sweden: Are individual socioeconomic factors relevant?. Journal of Pain and Symptom Management 2007, 33(3), 317-323.
- Hanratty B, ZHang T, Whitehead M. How close have universal health systems come to achieving equity in use of curative services? A systematic review. International Journal of Health Services 2007, 37(1), 89-109.
- Hanratty B, Burstrom B, Walander A, Whitehead M. Inequality in the face of death? Public expenditure on health care for different socioeconomic groups in the last year of life. Journal of Health Services Research & Policy 2007, 12(2), 90-94.
- Hanratty B, Drever F, Jacoby A, Whitehead M. Retirement age caregivers and deprivation of area of residence in England and Wales. European Journal of Ageing 2007, 4(1), 35-43.
- Jacoby A, Whitehead M, Hanratty B. Tight but doable: A qualitative study of the Financial Consequences of Serious Illness. In: North American Primary Care Research Group Annual Meeting. 2007, Vancouver, British Columbia.
- Hanratty B, Hibbert D, Mair F, May C, Ward C, Corcoran G, Capewell S, Litva A. Doctor's understanding of palliative care. Palliative Medicine 2006, 20(5), 493-497.
- Hanratty B, Mair F. We want you: Specialist nurses needed for palliative care in heart failure. British Journal of Cardiac Nursing 2006, 1(2), 64-66.
- Hanratty B, Burstrom B, Whitehead M. Socioeconomic differences in healthcare spending in the last year of life in Stockholm county: An analysis of linked data. In: Society for Social Medicine 49th Annual Scientific Meeting. 2005, University of Glasgow.
- Drummond ME, Hanratty B, Nixon J, Christie J. Are the best available, most applicable clinical effectiveness data used in economic evaluations of drug therapies?. In: Health Technology Assessment International 2004. 2004, Krakow, Poland.
- Hanratty B, Jacoby A, Whitehead MM. Equity in end of life care?. In: 3rd International Conference of the International Society for Equity in Health. 2004, Durban, South Africa.
- Whitehead M, Hanratty B. Health care for rich and poor alike. In: Healy J, McKee M, ed. Accessing health care: responding to diversity. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2004.
- Hibbert D, Hanratty B, May C, Mair F, Litva A, Capewell S. Negotiating palliative care expertise in the medical world. Social Science and Medicine 2003, 57(2), 277-288.
- Lloyd-Williams F, Mair F, Sheils C, Hanratty B, Goldstein P, Beaton S, Capewell S, Lye M, Mcdonald R, Roberts C, Connelly D. Why are patients in clinical trails of heart failure not like those we see in everyday practice?. Journal of Clinical Epidemiology 2003, 56(12), 1157-62.
- Hanratty B, Hibbert D, Mair F, May C, Ward C, Capewell S, Litva A, Corcoran G. Doctors' perceptions of palliative care for heart failure: focus group study. British Medical Journal 2002, 325(7364), 581-585.
- Barnham M, Hunter S, Hanratty B, Kirby P, Tanna A, Efstratiou A. Invasive M-type 2 Streptococcus pyogenes affecting a family and a residential home. Communicable Disease and Public Health 2001, 4(1), 64-67.
- Lawlor DA, Hanratty B. The effect of physical activity advice given in routine primary care consultations: a systematic review. Journal of Public Health Medicine 2001, 23(3), 219-226.
- Hanratty B, Lawlor DA. Effective Management of the elderly hearing impaired-a review. Journal of Public Health Medicine 2000, 22(4), 512-517.
- Hanratty B. GP views on developments in palliative care services. Palliative Medicine 2000, 14(3), 223-224.
- Hanratty B. Palliative care provided by GPs: the carer's viewpoint. British Journal of General Practice 2000, 50(457), 653-654.
- Lawlor DA, Hanratty B. Recreational physical activity and the risk of cholecystectomy in women. The New England Journal of Medicine 2000, 342, 212.
- Hanratty B, Feather J, Ward C. Referrals to the Marie Curie nursing service in North Yorkshire. International Journal of Palliative Nursing 2000, 6(1), 26-30.
- Hanratty B. Settings for Health Promotion: Linking Theory and Practice. Health Education Journal 2000, 59(2), 189.
- Hanratty B, Lawlor DA, Robinson MB, Sapsford RJ, Greenwood D, Hall A. Sex differences in risk factors, treatment and mortality after acute myocardial infarction: an observational study. Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health 2000, 54(12), 912-916.
- Hanratty B, Holt T, Duffell E, Patterson W, Ramsay M, White JM, Jin L, Litton P. UK measles outbreak in non-immune anthroposophic communities: the implications for the elimination of measles from Europe. Epidemiology and Infection 2000, 125(2), 377-383.
- Hanratty B, Gledhill A, Patterson W. Cervical screening: how adequate is the feedback to GPs?. British Journal of General Practice 1999, 49(443), 484-485.
- Hanratty B, Robinson M. Coping with winter bed crises. New surveillance systems might help. British Medical Journal 1999, 319(7224), 1511-1512.
- Hanratty B, Lawlor D. Effect of discussion and deliberation on public's views of priority setting. BMJ 1999, 319(7203), 189.
- Hanratty B, Lawlor D. Factors associated with the provision of anti-smoking advice by GPs. British Journal of General Practice 1999, 49(446), 753.
- Hanratty B, Lawlor D. Getting letters published in journals is good aim for medical students. British Medical Journal 1999, 30(7218), 1198.
- Lawlor D, Hanratty B. Non-attendance at outpatients departments. BMJ 1999, 319(7217), 1134.
- Hanratty B. Primary care group commissioning of services. British Journal of General Practice 1999, 49(444), 576.
- Hanratty B, Lawlor D. Will to live in the terminally ill. Lancet 1999, 354(9195), 2084.
- Hanratty B, Patterson W. The new new public health. Lancet 1998, 352(9131), 903-904.
- Hanratty B, Patterson W. Three quarters of delegates drove to conference on impact of environment on health. British Medical Journal 1998, 316(7133), 77.