Dr Christina Dobson
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: 0191 208 2274
- Address: Sir James Spence Institute
Royal Victoria Infirmary
I joined the Institute of Health and Society in August 2017, after working in the School of Medicine and Health at Durham University since 2011, in the field of early diagnosis of cancer and primary care.
My background is in medical anthropology and my research interests lie in symptom experience, help-seeking and diagnostic pathways, including inequalities in diagnosis and outcomes.
My PhD examined the symptomatic and help-seeking experiences of people with symptoms of lung or bowel cancer.
ResearchI am the Principal Investigator on a Yorkshire Cancer Research funded study, entitled RURALLY (Recognition, Understandings of, and Responses to colorectal symptoms Among people Living in rural Localities of Yorkshire). This study uses interviews to explore how rural people experience and respond to bowel symptoms, with findings being used to design an intervention to encourage early presentation among rural populations.
- Dobson C, Russell A, Brown S, Rubin G. The role of social context in symptom appraisal and help‐seeking among people with lung or colorectal symptoms: A qualitative interview study. European Journal of Cancer Care 2018, 27(2), e12815.
- Dobson CM, Russell AJ, Rubin GP. Patient delay in cancer diagnosis: what do we really mean and can we be more specific?. BMC Health Services Research 2014, 14, 1-6.
- Walter F, Emery J, Mendonca S, Hall N, Morris H, Mills K, Dobson C, Bankhead C, Johnson M, Abel G, Rutter M, Hamilton W, Rubin G. Symptoms and patient factors associated with longer time to diagnosis for colorectal cancer: results from a prospective cohort study. British Journal of Cancer 2016, 115(5).
- Walter FM, Rubin G, Bankhead C, Morris HC, Hall N, Mills K, Dobson C, Rintoul RC, Hamilton W, Emery J. Symptoms and other factors associated with time to diagnosis and stage of lung cancer: a prospective cohort study. British Journal of Cancer 2015, 112, S6-S13.
- Hall NJ, Rubin GP, Dobson C, Weller D, Wardle J, Ritchie M, Rees CJ. Attitudes and beliefs of non-participants in a population-based screening programme for colorectal cancer. Health Expectations 2015, 18(5), 1645-1657.
- Dobson C, Rubin G. Aestheticising Cancer. British Journal of General Practice 2014, 64(625), 415.