Dr James Newham
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: 01912085643
- Address: Institute of Health & Society,
Newcastle Upon Tyne
I am interested in the causes and effects of poorer mental health and health behaviours in pregnancy and interventions that can be used to improve these outcomes. Specifically I am interested in applying health psychology theory to understand how behaviour patterns may differ during pregnancy. Furthermore I am interested in how we validally measure and monitor changes in behaviour and mood across pregnancy.
PhD Medicine, University of Manchester (2012) Title: Interventions to reduce maternal anxiety in pregnancy
MPhil Neuroscience, Newcastle University (2007)
BSc (Hons) Psychology, Newcastle University (2004)
Research Psychologist , Human Cognitive Neuroscience Unit, Northumbria University (2007- 2008)
Research Assistant , Psychiatry Dept., Royal Victoria Infirmary, Newcastle upon Tyne (2005-2006)
European Health Psychology Society
UK Society of Behavioural Medicine
Society for Reproductive and Infant Psychology
Assistant editor for Journal of Reproductive and Infant Psychology
Chair of Institute of Health and Society Early Career Researcher Group
I am interested in the causes and effects of poorer mental health and health behaviours in pregnancy and interventions that can be used to improve these outcomes. Specifically I am interested in applying health psychology theory to understand how behaviour patterns may differ during pregnancy. Furthermore I am interested in how we validally measure and monitor changes in behaviour and mood across pregnancy
Grants and awards
Newham JJ, Lingam R, Kaner E, McGovern R, Spencer L, Robalino S, Henderson E, Geijer Simpson E, Reynolds A, McArdle P, Shucksmith J. (2015) Mental health issues of children and young people. Institute for Local Governance. £39,500
Lingam R, Newham JJ, Birbeck N, McGovern R, Kaner E, Balaam M. (2016) Rural Maternal Mental Health. North Yorkshire Local Authority. £40,000
Kaner E, Hanratty B, Newham J, Presseau J, Vale L. (2014-16). Prioritizing service improvement through research. Newcastle West and Newcastle East and Central Clinical Commission Group, Research Capability Funding £126,000
Bell R, Newham J, Rankin J. (2012-2014). Exposure to potentially teratogenic medications and outcome of pregnancy in women with type 1 and type 2 diabetes. Diabetes UK. £19,540
Newham J, Atkinson L. (2014). Sedentary behaviour in pregnancy Research Development workshop grant. Society of Reproductive & Infant Psychology. £1500
Newham J, Aplin JD, Wittkowski A, Westwood M (2011). Interventions to reduce anxiety during pregnancy. Manchester Statistical Society Campion Grants. £1510Newham J. (2011) Travel bursary award. Society of Reproductive & Infant Psychology. £800
Lecturer for following MSc modules;
- 'Health psychology and Principles of Behaviour'
- 'Public Health Intervention'
Currently co-supervising a PhD student with a PROPSERO-registered systematic review entitled;
'Systematic review of interactive internet based interventions providing individualised health care programmes for weight loss in overweight and obese adults'
Anna Sherrington, James Newham, Vera Araujo-Soares, Ruth Bell, Ashley Adamson, Elaine McColl
- Newham JJ, Allan C, Leahy-Warren P, Carrick-Sen D, Alderdice F. Intentions Toward Physical Activity and Resting Behavior in Pregnant Women: Using the Theory of Planned Behavior Framework in a Cross‐Sectional Study. Birth 2016, 43(1), 49-57.
- Alderdice F, Newham JJ. Global maternal mental health: where you live matters. Journal of Reproductive and Infant Psychology 2016, 34(1), 1-2.
- Hickey A, Newham J, Slawinska M, Kwasnicka D, McDonald S, Del Din S, Sniehotta F, Davis P, Godfrey A. Estimating cut points: a simple method for new wearables. Maturitas 2016, 83, 78-82.
- Newham JJ, Presseau J, Araujo-Soares V, Sniehotta FF. Differential responses to interventions targeting physical activity compared to sedentary time: a randomized n-of-1 design. In: European Health Psychology Society Annual Conference. 2015, Cyprus: EHPS.
- Newham JJ, Holden MA, Sniehotta FF, Cuthbertson DJ, Mathers JC, O'Brien N. Features of physical activity interventions associated with effectiveness in musculoskeletal disorders: systematic review and meta-analysis. In: European Health Psychology Society Annual Conference. 2015.
- Moloney E, Newham JJ. How we can manage the ‘cost’of perinatal mental health before it’s too late. Journal of Reproductive and Infant Psychology 2015, 33(4), 321-324.
- Presseau J, Ivers NM, Newham JJ, Knittle K, Danko KJ, Grimshaw JM. Using a behaviour change techniques taxonomy to identify active ingredients within trials of implementation interventions for diabetes care. Implementation Science 2015, 10, 55.
- Newham JJ, Wittkowski A, Hurley J, Aplin JD, Westwood M. Effects of antnatal yoga on maternal anxiety and depression: a randomized controlled trial. Depression and Anxiety 2014, 31(8), 631-640.
- Newham JJ. Complementary therapies in pregnancy: a means to reduce ill health and improve well-being?. Journal of Reproductive and Infant Psychology 2014, 32(3), 211-213.
- Heslehurst N, Newham J, Maniatopoulos G, Fleetwood C, Robalino S, Rankin J. Implementation of pregnancy weight management and obesity guidelines: a meta-analysis of healthcare professionals' barriers and facilitators using the Theoretical Domains Framework. Obesity Reviews 2014, 15(6), 462-486.
- Heslehurst N, Newham J, Maniatopoulos G, Fleetwood C, Robalino S, Rankin J. Implementation of pregnancy weight management and obesity guidelines: a meta-synthesis of healthcare professionals’ barriers and facilitators using the Theoretical Domains Framework. In: Association for the Study of Obesity: Obese Pregnancy – Mechanisms and Potential Interventions. 2014, London.
- Newham JJ, Glinianaia SV, Tennant PWG, Rankin J, Bell R. Improved antenatal detection of congenital anomalies in women with pre-gestational diabetes: population-based cohort study. Diabetic Medicine 2013, 30(12), 1442-1448.
- Newham JJ, Martin CR. Measuring fluctuations in maternal well-being and mood across pregnancy. Journal of Reproductive and Infant Psychology 2013, 31(5), 531-540.
- Alderdice F, Ayers S, Darwin Z, Green J, Jomeen J, Kenyon S, Martin CR, Morrell JC, Newham JJ, Redshaw M, Savage-McGlynn E, Walsh J. Measuring psychological health in the perinatal period: workshop consensus statement, 19 March 2013. Journal of Reproductive and Infant Psychology 2013, 31(5), 431-438.
- Newham J, Allan C, Leahy-Warren P, Carrick-Sen D, Alderdice F. Divergent intentions towards physical activity and sedentary behaviour during pregnancy. In: 33rd Annual Conference of the Society for Reproductive and Infant Psychology (SRIP). 2013, Hull: Routledge.
- Sherrington A, Newham J, Araujo-Soares V, Adamson A, McColl E, Bell R. Systematic review of internet-based interventions providing individualised feedback for weight loss in overweight adults. In: Nutrition Society Annual Summer Meeting. 2013, Newcastle, UK: Cambridge University Press.
- Newham JJ, Westwood M, Aplin JD, Wittkowski A. State-Trait Anxiety Inventory (STAI) scores during pregnancy following intervention with complementary therapies. Journal of Affective Disorders 2012, 142(1-3), 22-30.
- Tennant PW, Newham JJ, Bell R, Rankin J. Studies of congenital anomalies should capture all cases, not just live births. BMJ 2011, 343.
- Newham JJ, Thomas SH, MacRitchie K, McElhatton PR, McAllister-Williams RH. Birth weight of infants after maternal exposure to typical and atypical antipsychotics: Prospective comparison study. British Journal of Psychiatry 2008, 192(5), 333-337.
- Gallagher P, Malik N, Newham J, Young AH, Ferrier IN, Mackin P. Antiglucocorticoid treatments for mood disorders. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2008, (1), CD005168.
- Young AH, Newham JI. Lithium in maintenance therapy for bipolar disorder. Journal of Psychopharmacology 2006, 20(2), 17-22.
- Young AH, Cookson J, Elliott B, Hellewell JSE, McAllister-Williams RH, Newham J, Ogilvie A, Scott J, Tyrer S, Turner M. Managing the aftermath of mania - Newcastle, 2 September 2005: Consensus Meeting Statement. 2006, Newcastle University: Journal of Psychopharmacology, Sage Publications.
- Newham JJ, Heslop-Marshall K, Netts P, Hanratty B, Kaner E, Presseau J. Effectivness of self-management interventions in people with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD): A meta-analysis. In: ICBM 2016. 2016, Melbourne, Australia: Springer.
- Newham JJ, Roberts H, Aquino MRJ, Olander EK. Supporting early family life: the importance of public health programmes. Journal of Reproductive and Infant Psychology 2016, 34(3), 221-223.
- Sherrington A, Newham JJ, Bell R, Adamson A, McColl E, Araujo-Soares V. Systematic Review and meta-analysis of internet-delivered interventions providing personalised feedback for weight loss in overweight and obese adults. Obesity Reviews 2016, 17(6), 541-551.
- Presseau J, Ivers NM, Newham J, Danko KJ, Grimshaw JM. Which behaviour change techniques are reported in trials of interventions to improve diabetes healthcare?. In: 14th International Congress of Behavioral Medicine (ICBM 2016). 2016, Melbourne, Australia: Springer.