Dr Laura Basterfield
Newcastle Biomedicine Faculty Research Fellow
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +44 (0)191 208 8896
- Address: Human Nutrition Research Centre and Institute of Health and Society
William Leech Building
Newcastle upon Tyne
I graduated from Newcastle University in 1999 with a BSc in Physiological Sciences. After spending 5 months in Australia I returned to the UK and began working as a Lung Function Technician at the Freeman Hospital in Newcastle upon Tyne. In 2002 I began a PhD back at Newcastle University investigating the effects of exercise on a mouse model of intestinal cancer. This led to my current research post on the Gateshead Millennium Study http://research.ncl.ac.uk/gms.
PhD Newcastle University
BSc (Hons) Physiological Sciences, Newcastle University
My main research interests lie with activity in children, but I also have a general interest in the effect of activity and exercise on health.
I am a qualified gym instructor, allowing me to supervise and instruct adults in the gym, and I am also qualified to take activity classes with children.
My last project involved taking skinfold and bony frame measures on 6-8 year old children and I am a Level 1 ISAK anthropometrist.
I am a qualified Respiratory Physiologist.
I am a researcher on the Gateshead Millennium Study (www.ncl.ac.uk/gms), a longitudinal birth cohort that started in 1999. The current phase is measuring food intake, physical activity and body composition in over 600 children. I am responsible for analysing the physical activity measurements which are recorded using accelerometers - a small, portable device which measures changes in acceleration.
- Pearce M, Basterfield L, Mann K, Adamson A, Parkinson K, Wright C, Reilly J. Predictors of childhood physical activity: The Gateshead Millennium Study. In: Journal of Epidemiology & Community Health: IEA World Congress of Epidemiology. 2011, Edinburgh, UK: BMJ Group.
- Pearce MS, Basterfield L, Mann KD, Parkinson KN, Adamson AJ, Reilly JJ, Gateshead Millennium Study. Early Predictors of Objectively Measured Physical Activity and Sedentary Behaviour in 8-10 Year Old Children: The Gateshead Millennium Study. PLoS One 2012, 7(6), e37975.
- Basterfield L, Pearce MS, Adamson AJ, Reilly JK, Parkinson KN, Reilly JJ, Gateshead Millennium Study Core Team. Effect of choice of outcome measure on studies of the etiology of obesity in children. Annals of Epidemiology 2012, 22(12), 888-891.
- Basterfield L, Pearce MS, Adamson AJ, Frary JK, Parkinson KN, Wright CM, Reilly JJ, Gateshead Millennium Study Core Team. Physical Activity, Sedentary Behavior, and Adiposity in English Children. American Journal of Preventive Medicine 2012, 42(5), 445-451.
- Mann KD, Hayes L, Basterfield L, Parker L, Pearce MS. Differing lifecourse associations with sport-, occupational- and household-based physical activity at age 49-51 years: the Newcastle Thousand Families Study. International Journal of Public Health 2013, 58(1), 79-88.
- Mann KD, Howe LD, Basterfield L, Parkinson KP, Pearce MS, Reilly JK, Adamson AJ, Reilly J, Janssen X. Longitudinal study of the associations between change in sedentary behavior and change in adiposity during childhood and adolescence: Gateshead Millennium Study. International Journal of Obesity 2017, 41, 1042-1047.
- Parkinson K, Reilly J, Basterfield L, Reilly J, Janssen X, Jones A, Cutler L, Le Couteur A, Adamson A. Mothers' perceptions of child weight status and the subsequent weight gain of their children: a population based longitudinal study. International Journal of Obesity 2017, Epub ahead of print.
- Evans E, Adamson A, Basterfield L, LeCouteur AS, Reilly JK, Reilly JJ, Parkinson K. Risk factors for eating disorder symptoms at 12 years of age: A 6-year longitudinal cohort study. Appetite 2017, 108, 12-20.
- Farooq MA, Parkinson KN, Adamson AJ, Pearce MS, Reilly JK, Hughes AR, Janssen X, Basterfield L, Reilly JJ. Timing of the decline in physical activity in childhood and adolescence: Gateshead Millennium Cohort Study. British Journal of Sports Medicine 2017, epub ahead of print.
- Basterfield L, Gardner L, Reilly JK, Pearce MS, Parkinson KN, Adamson AJ, Reilly JJ, Vella SA. Can’t play, won’t play: longitudinal changes in perceived barriers to participation in sports clubs across the child-adolescent transition. BMJ Open Sport & Exercise Medicine 2016, 2(1), e000079.
- Janssen X, Mann KD, Basterfield L, Parkinson KN, Pearce MS, Reilly JK, Adamson AJ, Reilly JJ. Development of sedentary behaviour across childhood and adolescence: longitudinal analysis of the Gateshead Millennium Study. International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity 2016, 13(88).
- Janssen A, Basterfield L, Parkinson KN, Pearce M, Reilly JK, Adamson AJ, Reilly JJ. Determinants of changes in sedentary time and breaks in sedentary time among 9 and 12 year old children. Prevention Medicine Reports 2015, 2, 880-885.
- Parkinson KN, Adamson AJ, Basterfield L, Reilly JK, Le Couteur A, Reilly JJ. Influence of adiposity on health- related quality of life in the Gateshead Millennium Study cohort: Longitudinal study at 12 years. Archives of Disease in Childhood 2015, 100(8), 779-783.
- Basterfield L, Reilly JK, Pearce MS, Parkinson KN, Adamson AJ, Reilly JJ, Vella SA. Longitudinal associations between sports participation, body composition and physical activity from childhood to adolescence. Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport 2015, 18(2), 178-182.
- Janssen X, Basterfield L, Parkinson KN, Pearce MS, Reilly JK, Adamson AJ, Reilly JJ, Gateshead Millennium Study Core Team. Objective measurement of sedentary behavior: impact of non-wear time rules on changes in sedentary time. BMC Public Health 2015, 15, 504.
- Basterfield L, Jones AR, Parkinson KN, Reilly J, Pearce MS, Reilly JJ, Adamson AJ, Gateshead Millennium Study Core Team. Physical activity, diet and BMI in children aged 6–8 years: a cross-sectional analysis. BMJ Open 2014, 4(6), e005001.
- Pearce MS, James PW, Franco-Villoria M, Parkinson KN, Jones AR, Basterfield L, Drewett RF, Wright CM, Adamson AJ. Creation of an Adiposity Index for Children Aged 6–8 Years: The Gateshead Millennium Study. BioMed Research International 2013, 2013, 431825.
- Basterfield L, Reilly JK, Slack EL, Parkinson KN, Pearce MS, Dale A, Le Couteur AS, Adamson AJ, Reilly JJ. Diet, physical activity and sedentary behaviour in 11-13 year old UK adolescents: The Gateshead Millennium Study. In: Nutrition Society Annual Summer Meeting. 2013, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK: Cambridge University Press.
- Reilly JK, Basterfield L, Slack EL, Parkinson KN, Jones AR, Pearce MS, Dale A, Le Couteur AS, Adamson AJ. Tracking of fruit and vegetable consumption from childhood to adolescence: The Gateshead Millennium Study. In: Nutrition Society Annual Summer Meeting. 2013, Newcastle, UK: Cambridge University Press.