Dr Laura Ternent
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: +44 (0)191 208 7083
- Address: Institute of Health & Society
Baddiley Clark Building
Newcastle upon Tyne
Laura Ternent is a Senior Lecturer in Health Economics and is theme lead for Economic Evaluation and Outcome Valuation within the Health Economics Group. Laura has a strong academic background in both applied and methodological work. Research interests include economic evaluation and health outcome valuation, with a particular focus on Discrete Choice Experiments and Contingent Valuation.
Laura has a track record of successful research grants from both UK and international funding bodies. Working primarily in multi-disciplinary teams Laura designs and conducts economic evaluations and outcome valuation studies in a wide variety of settings such as cancer care, stroke care, maternal health, urology, opthalmology.
- PhD Health Economics, University of Aberdeen (2012)
- MSc. Health Economics, University of York (2004)
- BA (Hons) Economics, University of Wales (2002)
- Health economics
- Lecturer, Institute of Health & Society, Newcastle University (2011 - 2014)
- Research Associate, Institute of Health & Society, Newcastle University (2010 - 2011)
- Research Fellow, Health Economics Research Unit, University of Aberdeen (2007 – 2010).
- Research Fellow, IMMPACT, University of Aberdeen (2004 – 2007).
- Research placement, Health Services Research Centre, Victoria University of Wellington, New Zealand (2004).
- Research Assistant, Centre for the Economics of Health, Institute of Medical and Social Care Research, University of Wales, Bangor (2002 - 2003).
- Honorary Researcher, Karolinska Institute of Public Health Sciences, Stockholm Sweden (2014 -)
Research interestsMy research interests are in economic evaluations alongside randomised controlled trials and health outcome valuation, particularly the use of Discrete Choice experiments and Contingent Valuation.
- LITMUS Liver Investigation. EU2020 2016-2020
- Lite Therapy Effectiveness for Oral Mucositis Trial (LITEFORM), NIHR HTA 2017-2022
- Nasal Septoplasty Economic and Clinical Outcomes (NAIROS) NIHR HTA 2017-2022
- Robot Assisted Training for the Upper Limb after Stroke (RATULS). NIHR HTA 2012-2020
- The effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of surgical treatments for women with stress urinary incontinence (ESTER). NIHR HTA 2016-2018
- The value and cost of different forms of information on oral health status and risk (PREFER) NIHR HSDR 2014-2016
- Understanding clinicians’ decisions to offer intravenous thrombolytic treatment to patients with acute ischaemic stroke: a discrete choice experiment. NIHR HSDR. 2014-2016
- Antibiotic treatment for intermittent bladder catheterisation: A randomised controlled trial of once daily prophylaxis (The AnTIC study). NIHR HTA 2013-2016
- Parental incentives and quasi-mandatory schemes for increasing uptake of immunisations in pre-school children. Co-applicant. NIHR HTA 2013-2015
- A prospective open randomised controlled trial comparing stapled haemorrhoidopexy to conventional surgery for haemorrhoidal disease. NIHR HTA 2010-2015
I teach on a number of different modules including:
MSc in Public Health and Health Services Research
I am currently supervising a number of PhD students
- DeBrún A, Flynn D, Ternent L, Price CI, Rodgers H, Ford GA, Rudd M, Lancsar E, Simpson S, Teah J, Thomson RG. A novel design process for selection of attributes for inclusion in discrete choice experiments: case study exploring variation in clinical decision-making about thrombolysis in the treatment of acute ischaemic stroke. BMC Health Services Research 2018, 18, 483.
- Pickard RS, Chadwick T, Oluboyede Y, Brennand C, von Willamowitz-Moellendorff A, McClurg D, Wilkinson J, Ternent L, Ainsworth H, Walton K, McColl E, Vale L, Wood R, Abdel-Fattah M, Hilton P, Fader M, Harrison S, Larcombe J, Little P, Timoney A, N'Dow J, Armstrong H, Morris N, Walker K, Thiruchelvam N. Continuous low-dose antibiotic prophylaxis to prevent urinary tract infection in adults who perform clean intermittent self-catheterisation: the AnTIC RCT. Health Technology Assessment 2018, 22(24), i-102.
- Fisher H, Oluboyede Y, Chadwick T, Abdel-Fattah M, Brennand C, Fader M, Harrison S, Hilton P, Larcombe J, Little P, McClurg D, McColl E, Ndow J, Ternent L, Timoney A, Vale L, Thiruchelvam N, von Wilamowitz-Moellendorff A, Wilkinson J, Walton K, Wood R, Pickard RS. Once daily low dose antibiotic prophylaxis for adults performing clean intermittent catheterisation (AnTIC): a randomised, open-label, superiority trial. The Lancet Infectious Diseases 2018, (ePub ahead of Print).
- Harris R, Vernazza CR, Laverty L, Lowers V, Brown S, Burnside G, Ternent L, Higham S, Steele J. Presenting information on dental risk: PREFER study protocol for a randomised controlled trial involving patients receiving a dental check-up. Contemporary Clinical Trials Communications 2018, 11, 1-9.
- Paddick S-M, Mkenda S, Mbowe G, Kisoli A, Gray WK, Dotchin CL, Ternent L, Ogunniyi A, Kissima J, Olakehinde O, Mushi D, Walker RW. Cognitive stimulation therapy as a sustainable intervention for dementia in sub-Saharan Africa: feasibility and clinical efficacy using a stepped-wedge design. International Psychogeriatrics 2017, 29(6), 979-989.
- DeBrún A, Flynn D, Ternent L, Price CI, Rodgers H, Ford GA, Rudd M, Lancsar E, Simpson S, Teah J, Thomson RG. Factors that influence clinicians’ decisions to offer intravenous alteplase for borderline patients with acute ischaemic stroke: results of a discrete choice experiment. International Journal of Stroke 2017, (ePub ahead of Print).
- Thomson RG, De Brún A, Flynn D, Ternent L, Price CI, Rodgers H, Ford GA, Rudd M, Lancsar E, Simpson S, Teah J. Factors that influence variation in clinical decision-making about thrombolysis in the treatment of acute ischaemic stroke: results of a discrete choice experiment. Health Services and Delivery Research 2017, 5, 1-116.
- Flynn D, Ternent L, Becker F, Oluboyede Y, Adams J. Parental Preferences for the Organization of Preschool Vaccination Programs Including Financial Incentives: A Discrete Choice Experiment. MDM Policy & Practice 2017, 2(1), 1-13.
- Rodgers H, Shaw L, Bosomworth H, Aird L, Alvarado N, Andole S, Cohen DL, Dawson J, Eyre J, Finch T, Ford GA, Hislop J, Hogg S, Howel D, Hughes N, Krebs HI, Price C, Rochester L, Stamp E, Ternent L, Turner D, Vale L, Warburton E, van Wijck F, Wilkes S. Robot Assisted Training for the Upper Limb after Stroke (RATULS): study protocol for a randomised controlled trial. Trials 2017, 18(1), 340.
- Giles E, Becker F, Ternent L, Sniehotta F, McColl E, Adams J. Acceptability of Financial Incentives for Health Behaviours: A Discrete Choice Experiment. PLoS ONE 2016, 11(6).
- Adams J, McNaughten RJ, Wigham S, Flynn D, Ternent L, Shucksmith J. Acceptability of Parental Financial Incentives and Quasi-Mandatory Interventions for Preschool Vaccinations: Triangulation of Findings from Three Linked Studies. PLoS One 2016, 11(6), e0156843.
- Brennand C, von Wilamowitz-Moellendorff A, Dunn S, Wilkinson J, Chadwick T, Ternent L, Oluboyede Y, Wood R, Walton K, Fader M, N'Dow J, Abdel-Fattah M, McClurg D, Little P, Hilton P, Timoney A, Morris N, Thiruchelvam N, Lacombe J, Harrison S, Armstrong H, McColl E, Pickard R. Antibiotic treatment for intermittent bladder catheterisation with once daily prophylaxis (the AnTIC study): Study protocol for a randomised controlled trial. Trials 2016, 17, 276.
- Awiti PO, Grotta A, van der Kop M, Dusabe J, Thorson A, Mwangi J, Belloco R, Lester R, Ternent L, Were E, Ekstrom AM. The effect of an interactive weekly mobile phone messaging on retention in prevention of mother to child transmission (PMTCT) of HIV program: study protocol for a randomized controlled trial (WELTEL PMTCT). BMC Medical Informatics and Decision Making 2016, 16, 86.
- De Brún A, Flynn D, Ternent L, Lancsar E, Price CI, Rudd M, Rodgers H, Ford GA, Simpson S, Teah J, Thomson RG. Development of a discrete choice experiment to explore factors influencing decision-making about treatment of acute ischaemic stroke. In: International Shared Decision Making/ Evidence Based Health Care conference. 2015, Sydney, Australia.
- Adams J, Bateman B, Becker F, Cresswell T, Flynn D, McNaughton R, Oluboyede Y, Robalino S, Ternent L, Gardner Sood B, Michie S, Shucksmith J, Sniehotta FSF, Wigham S. Effectiveness and acceptability of parental financial incentives and quasi-mandatory schemes for increasing uptake of vaccinations in preschool children: systematic review, qualitative study, and discrete choice experiment. Southampton: National Institute for Health Research, 2015. Health Technology Assessment 19 (94).
- De Brún A, Flynn D, Ternent L, Lancsar E, Price CI, Rudd M, Rodgers H, Ford GA, Simpson S, Teah J, Thomson RG. Factors that influence clinicians' decisions to offer intravenous thrombolytic treatment to patients with acute ischaemic stroke. In: International Shared Decision Making and Evidence Based Health Care Conference. 2015, Sydney, Australia.
- Bosomworth H, Aird L, Andole S, Cohen D, Dawson J, Eyre J, Finch T, Ford G, Hogg S, Howel D, Hughes N, Krebs H, Price C, Rochester L, Shaw L, Ternent L, Turner D, Vale L, vanWijck F, Wilkes S, Rodgers H. Robot Assisted Training for the Upper Limb after Stroke (RATULS). In: European Stroke Organisation Annual Conference 2015. 2015, Glasgow, UK: International Journal of Stroke.
- Bosomworth H, Aird L, Andole S, Dawson J, Eyre J, Finch T, Ford G, Hogg S, Howel D, Hughes N, Krebs H, Price C, Rochester L, Shaw L, Ternent L, Turner D, Vale L, vanWijck F, Warbuton E, Wilkes S, Rodgers H. Robot Assisted Training for the Upper Limb after Stroke (RATULS). In: Technically Assisted Rehabilitation. 2015, Berlin, Germany.
- Thursz M, Forrest E, Roderick P, Day C, Austin A, O'Grady J, Ryder A, Allison M, Gleeson D, McCune A, Patch D, Wright M, Masson S, Richardson P, Hood S, MacGilchrist A, Grant A, Vale L, Mellor J, Stanton L, Bowers M, Ratcliffe I, Downs N, Kirkman S, Homer T, Ternent L, Deverill M. The clinical effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of STeroids or Pentoxifylline for Alcoholic Hepatitis (STOPAH): a 2x2 factorial, randomised controlled trial. Health Technology Assessment 2015, 19(102).
- De Brún A, Flynn D, Ternent L, Price CI, Rodgers H, Rudd M, Lancsar E, Ford GA, Simpson S, Teah J, Thomson RG. Development process for a discrete choice experiment to explore variation in clinical decision-making about thrombolysis in acute ischaemic stroke. In: Division of Health Psychology Annual Conference 2014. 2014, York, UK.
- Orr JG, Homer T, Ternent L, Newton J, McNeil CJ, Hudson M, Jones DEJ. Health related quality of life in people with advanced chronic liver disease. Journal of Hepatology 2014, 61(5), 1158-1165.
- Orr J G., Homer T, Ternent L, Newton J, McNeil C J., Hudson M, Jones D E.J. 'Health Related Quality of Life in People with Advanced Chronic Liver Disease'. Journal of Hepatology 2014, 61(5), 1158–1165.
- Wigham S, Ternent L, Bryant A, Robalino S, Sniehotta FF, Adams J. Parental Financial Incentives for Increasing Preschool Vaccination Uptake: Systematic Review. Pediatrics 2014, 134(4), e1117-e1128.
- Orr J, Homer T, Ternent L, Vale L, Hudson M, Jones D. PTU-112 Associations Between Healthcare Resource Utilisation And Health-related Quality Of Life In Cirrhosis. Gut 2014, 63(Suppl. 1), A88-A88.
- De Brún A, Flynn D, Joyce K, Ternent L, Price CI, Rodgers H, Ford GA, Lancsar E, Rudd M, Thomson RG. Understanding clinicians’ decisions to offer intravenous thrombolytic treatment to patients with acute ischaemic stroke: a protocol for a discrete choice experiment. BMJ Open 2014, 4(7), e005612.
- Ternent L, Tsuchiya A. A note on the expected biases in conventional iterative health state valuation protocols. Medical Decision Making 2013, 33(4), 544-546.
- Ternent L, Tsuchiya A. A Note on the Expected Biases in Conventional Iterative Health State Valuation Protocols. Medical Decision Making 2013, 33(4), 544-546.
- Ternent L, Deverill M, Walker R. Identifying Effective and Cost-Effective Ways to Treat People with Dementia in Sub-Saharan Africa. In: JOURNAL OF MENTAL HEALTH POLICY AND ECONOMICS. 2013, VIA DANIELE CRESPI 7, MILANO, 20123, ITALY: INT CTR MENTAL HEALTH POLICY & ECONOMICS-ICMPE.
- De Brún A, Flynn D, Ternent L, Lancsar E, Price C, Rodgers H, Ford GA, Thomson RG. Understanding clinicians' decisions to offer intravenous thrombolytic treatment to patients with acute ischaemic stroke: A discrete choice experiment. In: 7th NIHR Stroke Research Network Annual Meeting. 2013, Newcastle, UK.
- Ternent L, Vale L, Boachie C, Burr JM, Lois N, Full-Thickness Macular Hole and Internal Limiting Membrane Peeling Study (FILMS) Group. Cost-effectiveness of internal limiting membrane peeling versus no peeling for patients with an idiopathic full-thickness macular hole: results from a randomised controlled trial. British Journal of Opthalmology 2012, 96(3), 438-443.
- Kolehmainen N, MacLennan G, Ternent L, Duncan EAS, Duncan EM, Ryan S, McKee L, Francis J. Using shared goal setting to improve access and equity: a mixed methods study of the Good Goals intervention in children’s occupational therapy. Implementation Science 2012, 7(1), 76.
- Lois N, Burr J, Cook J, Boachie C, Ternent L, McPherson G. Internal Limiting Membrane Peeling versus No Peeling for Patients with Idiopathic Full Thickness macular Hole: A Randomised Controlled Trial. Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science 2011, 52(3), 1586-1592.
- Robertson C, Boachie C, Dixon M, Fraser C, Hernandez R, Heys S, Jack W, Kerr G, Ragupathy S, Lawrence G, MacLennan G, Maxwell A, McGregor J, Mowatt G, Pinder S, Ternent L, Thomas R, Vale L, Wilson R, Zhu S, Gilbert F. The clinical effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of different surveillance mammography regimes after the treatment of primary breast cancer: systematic reviews registry database analyses and economic evaluation. Health Technology Assessment 2011, 15(34), 1-322.
- McNamee P, Ternent L, Gbangou A, Newlands D. A game of two halves?: Incentive incompatibility, starting point bias and the bidding game contingent valuation method. Health Economics 2010, 19(1), 75-87.
- Imamura M, Abrams P, Bain C, Buckley B, Cardozo L, Cody J, Cook J, Eustice S, Glazener C, Grant A, Hay-Smith J, Hislop J, Jenkinson D, Kilonzo M, Nabi G, N'Dow J, Pickard R, Ternent L, Wallace S, Wardle J, Zhu S, Vale L. Systematic review and economic modelling of the effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of non-surgical treatments for women with stress urinary incontinence. Health Technology Assessment 2010, 14(40), 1-188, iii-iv.
- Ternent L, McNamee P, Newlands D, Belemsaga D, Gbangou A, Cross S. Willingness to pay for maternal health outcomes. Applied Health Economics and Health Policy 2010, 8(2), 99-109.
- Brittenden J, Burr J, Campbell M, Chetter I, Cotton S, Earnshaw J, Francis J, Gough M, McDonald A, McPherson G, Ramsay C, Ternent L, Vale L. [Protocol Review] The CLASS Study: Comparison of LAser, Surgery and foam Sclerotherapy as a treatment for varicose veins. The Lancet Publishing Group, 2009. Available at: http://www.thelancet.com/protocol-reviews/09PRT-2275.
- McNamee P, Ternent L, Hussein J. Barriers in accessing maternal health care: evidence from low and middle income countries. Expert Review of Pharmacoeconomics & Outcomes Research 2009, 9(1), 41-48.
- Ternent L, Vale L, Buckley B, Glazener C. Measuring outcomes of importance to women with stress urinary incontinence. British Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology 2009, 116(5), 719-725.
- Mowatt G, Boachie C, Crowther M, Fraser C, Hernandez R, Jia X, Ternent L. Romiplostim for the treatment of chronic immune or idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura (ITP): A Single Technology Appraisal. Health Technology Assessment 2009, 13(s2), 63-68.
- Newlands D, Belemsaga D, Ternent L, Hounton S. Assessing the costs and cost-effectiveness of a Skilled Care Initiative in rural Burkina Faso. Tropical Medicine and International Health 2008, 13, 61-67.
- Lois N, Burr J, Norrie J, Vale L, Cook J, McDonald A. Internal limiting membrane peeling versus no peeling for idiopathic full-thickness macular hole: a pragmatic randomized controlled trial. Trials 2008, 9:61.