Dr Amy Vincent
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: 0191 208 7051
- Address: Wellcome Centre for Mitochondrial Research
M4.026 Cookson Bulding
I completed my undergraduate study at The University of Nottingham, graduating with an upper second class MSci degree in Biochemistry and Genetics in 2013.
I moved to the Wellcome Centre for Mitochondrial Research (Newcastle University) in 2013 to complete my PhD, with Professors Doug Tunrbull, Robert Taylor and Dr Rita Barresi. My PhD, spanned a number of projects with the aim to investigate mitochondrial dysfunction in both mitochondrial myopathy and other neuromuscular diseases. I completed my PhD in May 2017 and am now a Research Associate working with Professor Sir Doug Turnbull in the Wellcome Centre for Mitochondrial Research and MRC Centre for Ageing and Vitality.
My current work looks to understand how mitochondrial DNA mutations accumulate in skeletal muscle with age and disease with a focus on the impact of cytoskeletal architecture, signalling and mitochondrial morphology.
Google Scholar: Click here.
SCOPUS: Click here.
ResearchMitochondrial DNA mutations and mitochondrial respiratory chain deficiency arise in a mosaic pattern within the skeletal muscle of patients with mitochondrial myopathy. However, they are also found in a number of other myopathies and in aging skeletal muscle.
My work looks to investigate mitochondria dysfunction and associated pathogenic mechanisms in both mitochondrial and other myopathies. This is being approached from three angles:
1) Characterising mitochondrial dysfunction in myofibrillar myopathy, dysferlinopathy and centronucelar myopathy and looking for potential links to disease pathology.
2) Attempting to understand mechanisms and factors effecting clonal expansion of mitochondrial DNA mutations.
3) Looking to make links between mitochondrial morphology, ultrastructure and function.
TeachingI am regularly involved with supervision and teaching of project students within the lab.
- Bacalhau M, Simoes M, Rocha MC, Hardy SA, Vincent AE, Duraes J, Macario MC, Santos MJ, Rebelo O, Lopes C, Pratas J, Mendes C, Zuzarte M, Rego AC, Girao H, Wong LJC, Taylor RW, Grazina M. Disclosing the functional changes of two genetic alterations in a patient with Chronic Progressive External Ophthalmoplegia: Report of the novel mtDNA m.7486G>A variant. Neuromuscular Disorders 2018, ePub ahead of print.
- Vincent AE, Turnbull DM, Eisner V, Hajnóczky G, Picard M. Mitochondrial Nanotunnels. Trends in Cell Biology 2017, 27(11), 787-799.
- Vincent AE, Rosa H, Rygiel KA, Grady JP, Rocha MC, Taylor RW, Picard M, Turnbull DM. Clonal expansion of mtDNA deletions in skeletal muscle: new insights into mechanisms. In: Mitochondria Research Society/United Mitochondrial Disease Foundation Meeting. 2016, Elsevier BV.
- Rygiel KA, Tuppen HA, Grady JP, Vincent A, Blakely EL, Reeve AK, Taylor RW, Picard M, Miller J, Turnbull DM. Complex mitochondrial DNA rearrangements in individual cells from patients with sporadic inclusion body myositis. Nucleic Acids Research 2016, 44(11), 5313-5329.
- Vincent AE, Rosa HS, Alston CL, Grady JP, Rygiel KA, Rocha MC, Barresi R, Taylor RW, Turnbull DM. Dysferlin mutations and mitochondrial dysfunction. Neuromuscular Disorders 2016, 26(11), 782-788.
- Picard M, Vincent AE, Turnbull DM. Expanding Our Understanding of mtDNA Deletions. Cell Metabolism 2016, 24(1), 3-4.
- Cadete VJJ, Deschenes S, Cuillerier A, Brisebois F, Sugiura A, Vincent A, Turnbull D, Picard M, McBride HM, Burelle Y. Formation of mitochondrial-derived vesicles is an active and physiologically relevant mitochondrial quality control process in the cardiac system. Journal of Physiology 2016, 594(18), 5343-5362.
- Vincent AE, Grady JP, Rocha MC, Alston CL, Rygiel KA, Barresi R, Taylor RW, Turnbull DM. Mitochondrial dysfunction in myofibrillar myopathy. Neuromuscular Disorders 2016, 26(10), 691-701.
- Vincent AE, Ng YS, White K, Davey T, Mannella C, Falkous G, Feeney C, Schaefer AM, McFarland R, Gorman GS, Taylor RW, Turnbull DM, Picard M. The Spectrum of Mitochondrial Ultrastructural Defects in Mitochondrial Myopathy. Scientific Reports 2016, 6, 30610.
- Rocha MC, Grady JP, Grünewald A, Vincent A, Dobson PF, Taylor RW, Turnbull DM, Rygiel KA. A novel immunofluorescent assay to investigate oxidative phosphorylation deficiency in mitochondrial myopathy: understanding mechanisms and improving diagnosis. Scientific Reports 2015, 5, 15037.