Dr Charlotte Allan
Honorary Clinical Senior Lecturer
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: 0191 2468753
- Address: Memory Assessment and Management Service,
Campus for Ageing and Vitality,
Newcastle upon Tyne,
Psychiatry, Dementia; Depression, Delirium, Late life mood disorder; Neuroimaging; Medical education, Clinical Trials; Epidemiology;
BA (Hons), University of Leeds, 2004
MBChB (Hons), University of Leeds, 2006
MD (Res) University College London, 2014
DGM (Diploma in Geriatric Medicine) Royal College of Physicians, 2015
Clinical roles and responsibilities
- Consultant Old Age Psychiatrist, Northumberland, Tyne and Wear NHS Foundation Trust.
Other roles and responsibilities
- Green Shoots funding (North-East and Cumbria Clinical Research Network) for commercial clinical trials in dementia
- Academic Clinical Collaboration in Dementia, Deputy Lead, Northumberland, Tyne and Wear NHS Foundation Trust
- Tyne Base Unit Lead for Mental Health, Newcastle University
My research focuses on dementia and depression in late life. By understanding more about the causes of these conditions I seek to identify how people can boost their resilience to illness, and maintain an active and healthy old age. I am interested in how individuals can reduce their risk of dementia and depression by addressing risk factors (e.g. for cardiovascular disease), and through using medication to prevent and treat disease.
My approach combines epidemiology and brain imaging, and sits at the interface of psychiatry and neuroscience. I have experience of working with healthy controls (Whitehall Imaging Cohort, University of Oxford) and using Magnetic Resonance Imaging to explore risk factors for memory loss and depression. In addition, I am interested in how clinical services can best support patients in terms of reaching a diagnosis of dementia, and in offering patients opportunities to trial new treatments through commercial clinical trials.
Teaching and training is an integral part of my role and I am always keen to encourage students and junior doctors with an interest in Old Age Psychiatry. I am accredited as a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA, 2011) and have a formal role as Tyne Base Unit Lead for Mental Health co-ordinating medical student psychiatry teaching in the Tyne Base Unit, Newcastle University.
I lecture on Old Age Psychiatry to undergraduate (EJR and ESR) courses and lecture to postgraduate audiences including GPs and specialty trainees.
- Fetherston AA, Rowley G, Allan CL. Challenges in end-of-life dementia care. Evidence-Based Mental Health 2018, Epub ahead of print.
- Firbank MJ, Parikh J, Murphy N, Killen A, Allan CL, Collerton D, Blamire AM, Taylor JP. Reduced occipital GABA in Parkinson disease with visual hallucinations. Neurology 2018. In Press.
- Topiwala A, Allan CL, Valkanova V, Zsoldos E, Filippini N, Sexton CE, Mahmood A, Singh-Manoux A, Mackay CE, Kivimäki M, Ebmeier KP. Resilience and MRI correlates of cognitive impairment in community-dwelling elders. British Journal of Psychiatry 2018, 207(5), 435-439.
- Reichelt K, Lewis T, Burgess JL, Allan CL. Timely diagnosis of vascular dementia key to management. Practitioner 2018, 262(1811), 11-14.
- Heise V, Zsoldos E, Suri S, Sexton C, Topiwala A, Filippini N, Mahmood A, Allan CL, Singh-Manoux A, Kivimäki M, Mackay CE, Ebmeier KP. Uncoupling protein 2 Haplotype does not affect Human Brain Structure and Function in a Sample of Community-Dwelling Older Adult. PLOS One 2017, 12(8), e0181392.
- Griffanti L, Jenkinson M, Suri S, Zsoldos E, Mahmood A, Filippini N, Sexton CE, Topiwala A, Allan CL, Kivimäki M, Singh-Manoux A, Ebmeier KP, Mackay CE, Zamboni G. Classification and characterization of periventricular and deep white matter hyperintensities on MRI: a study in older adults. Neuroimage 2017, (ePub ahead of Print).
- Allan CL, Behrman S, Ebmeier KP, Valkanova V. Diagnosing early cognitive decline-When, how and for whom?. Maturitas 2017, 96, 103-108.
- Topiwala A, Allan CL, Valkanova V, Zsoldos E, Filippini N, Sexton C, Mahmood A, Fooks P, Singh-Manoux A, Mackay CE, Kivimäki M, Ebmeier KP. Moderate alcohol consumption as risk factor for adverse brain outcomes and cognitive decline: longitudinal cohort study. BMJ 2017, 357, j2353.
- Baruch N, Allan CL, Cundell M, Clark S, Murray B. Promoting early dementia diagnosis: a video designed by patients, for patients. International Psychogeriatrics 2017, 29, 863-867.
- Allan CL, Behrman S, Baruch N, Ebmeier KP. Driving and dementia: a clinical update for mental health professionals. Evidence Based Mental Health 2016, 19, 110-113.
- Allan CL, Turri MG, Stein K, Da Silva FN, Harris J. Exploring psychiatry through images and objects. Medical Humanities 2016, 42, 205-206.
- Allan CL, Sexton CE, Filippini N, Topiwala A, Mahmood A, Zsoldos E, Singh-Manoux A, Shipley MJ, Kivimaki M, Mackay CE, Ebmeier KP. Sub-threshold depressive symptoms and brain structure: A magnetic resonance imaging study within the Whitehall II cohort. Journal of Affective Disorders 2016, 204, 219-225.
- Virtanen M, Shipley MJ, Batty GD, Hamer M, Allan CL, Lowe GD, Ebmeier KP, Akbaraly TN, Alenius H, Haapakoski R, Singh-Manoux A, Kivimäki M. Interleukin-6 as a predictor of symptom resolution in psychological distress: a cohort study. Psychological Medicine 2015, 45(10), 2137-44.
- Allan CL, Zsoldos E, Filippini N, Sexton CE, Topiwala A, Valkanova V, Singh-Manoux A, Tabák AG, Shipley MJ, Mackay C, Ebmeier KP, Kivimäki M. Lifetime hypertension as a predictor of brain structure in older adults: cohort study with a 28-year follow-up. British Journal of Psychiatry 2015, 206(4), 308-315.
- Allan CL, Valkanova V, Ebmeier KP. Depression in older people is under diagnosed. The Practitioner 2014, 258, 19-22.
- Filippini N, Zsoldos E, Haapakoski R, Sexton CE, Mahmood A, Allan CL, Topiwala A, Valkanova V, Brunner EJ, Shipley MJ, Auerbach E, Moeller S, Ugurbil K, Xu J, Yacoub E, Andersson J, Bijsterbosch J, Clare S, Griffanti L, Hess AT, Jenkinson M, Miller KL, Salimi-Khorshidi G, Sotiropoulos SN, Voets NL, Smith SM, Geddes JR, Singh-Manoux A, Mackay CE, Kivimäki M, Ebmeier KP. Study protocol: The Whitehall II imagaing sub-study. BMC Psychiatry 2014, 14, 159.
- Valkanova V, Ebmeier KP, Allan CL. CRP, IL-6 and depression: a systematic review and meta-analysis of longitudinal studies. Journal of Affective Disorders 2013, 150, 736-744.
- Allan CL, Ebmeier KP. Review of treatment for late-life depression. Advances in Psychiatric Treatment 2013, 19, 302-309.
- Head J, Stansfeld SA, Ebmeier KP, Geddes JR, Allan CL, Lewis G, Kivimäki M. Use of self-administered instruments to assess psychiatric disorders in older people: validity of the General Health Questionnaire, the Center for Epidemiologic Studies Depression Scale and the self-completion version of the revised Clinical Interview Schedule. Psychological Medicine 2013, 43, 2649-56.
- Sexton CE, Allan CL, Bradley KM, Herrmann LL, Kalu UG, McDermott L, LeMasurier M, Mackay CE, Ebmeier KP. Network Disruption in Late-Life Depression Examined with Multi-Modal Magnetic Resonance Imaging. Archives of General Psychiatry 2012, 69, 680-689.
- Kivimäki M, Shipley M, Allan CL, Sexton C, Jokela M, Virtanen M, Tiermeier H, Ebmeier KP, Singh-Manoux A. Vascular risk status as a predictor of late-life depressive symptoms: a cohort study. Biological Psychiatry 2012, 72, 324-330.
- Allan CL, Sexton CE, Kalu UG, McDermott LM, Kivimäki M, Singh-Manoux A, Mackay CE, Ebmeier KP. Does the Framingham Stroke Risk Profile predict white-matter changes in late-life depression? , 2011, 17:1-8. International Psychogeriatrics 2011, 17, 1-8.
- Allan CL, Ebmeier KP. The influence of ApoE4 on clinical progression of dementia: a meta-analysis. International journal of Geriatric Psychiatry 2011, 26, 520-526.
- Allan CL, Herrmann LL, Ebmeier KP. Transcranial magnetic stimulation in the management of mood disorders. Neuropsychobiology 2011, 64, 163-169.