Consultant Paediatric & Adult Neurosurgeon and Associate Clinical Researcher
- Telephone: 0191 282 5677 (Secretary)
- Address: Department of Neurosurgery,
Royal Victoria Infirmary,
Queen Victoria Road,
Newcastle upon Tyne
Email: email@example.com (Secretary)
Areas of expertise
Degenerative spine disease
Research interests in tumour associated epilepsy, traumatic brain injury and in the application of quantitative MR imaging in neurosurgery.
2015 FRCS Edinburgh (Neuro.Surg)
2012 MD (Newcastle University)
2006 MRCS Edinburgh
2002 MB BS (Newcastle University)
Society of British Neurological Surgeons
Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh
European Society for Pediatric Neurosurgery
British Paediatric Neurosurgery Group
Fellow in Paediatric Neurosurgery, Royal Childrens' Hospital, Melbourne 2016 - 2017
Chair of the British Neurosurgical Trainees' Association 2012 - 2014
Management Committee member of the British Neurosurgical Trainee Research Collaborative 2012 - 2015
Ex-Officio Council Member of the Society of British Neurological Surgeons 2012 - 2014
Secretary of the British Neurosurgical Trainees' Association 2010 - 2012Google scholar: Click here.
I undertook my MD with Prof. Blamire at Newcastle Magnetic Resonance Centre (NMRC) entitled “Quantitative magnetic resonance imaging in traumatic brain injury.”
My current research interests lie in epilepsy, paediatric neurosurgery and advanced MR imaging in neurosurgery.
I am currently collaborating on projects within Institute of Neuroscience and am PI or Co-Investigator in number of studies looking at the role and measurement of glutamate in tumour associated epilepsy.
I'm supervisor for PhD and MRes students.
- Cowie CJA, Ellenbogen JR. Neurosurgeon or spinal surgeon – who should treat cauda equina syndrome?. British Journal of Neurosurgery 2017, 31(3), 289-289.
- Dobson G, Cowie CJA, Holliman D. Epidural abscess with associated spondylodiscitis following prostatic biopsy. The Annals of The Royal College of Surgeons of England 2015, 97(5), e81-e82.
- Cowie CJA, Pesic-Smith J, Dambatta S, Gholkar A, Surash S, Jenkins A, Mitchell P. Minimally invasive neurosurgical access techniques to facilitate endovascular treatment of dural arteriovenous fistulae. British Journal of Neurosurgery 2015, 29(1), 115-117.
- Croall ID, Cowie CJA, He J, Peel A, Wood J, Aribisala B, Mitchell P, Mendelow AD, Smith FE, Millar D, Kelly T, Blamire AM. White matter correlates of cognitive dysfunction after mild traumatic brain injury. Neurology 2014, 83(6), 494-501.
- Cowie CJA, Cunningham MO. Peritumoral epilepsy: Relating form and function for surgical success. Epilepsy & Behavior 2014, 38, 53-61.
- Kolias A, Coulter I, Cowie C, Tarnaris A, Hutchinson P, Brennan P. Collaborative Research Networks: the way forward for clinical neurosciences research?. Advances in Clinical Neuroscience and Rehabilitation 2014, 13(7), 22-23.
- Reay E, Aarvold A, Ardolino T, Cowie C. Return to work programmes. The Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh: Surgeons' News 2013, 44-45.
- Kolias AG, Bulters D, Cowie CJA, Wilson M, Afshari FT, Helmy A, Broughton E, Joannides A, Zebian B, Harrisson S, Hill CS, Ahmed A, Barone DG, Thakur B, McMahon C, Adlam DM, Bentley RP, Tolias C, Mitchell P, Whitfield P, Critchley GR, Belli A, Brennan PM, Hutchinson P. Proposal for establishment of the UK Cranial Reconstruction Registry (UKCRR). British Journal of Neurosurgery 2014, 28(3), 310-314.
- Cowie CJA. European Working Time Directive may contribute to fatigue. BMJ 2013, 347, f5360.
- Cowie CJA, Pešić-Smith JD, Boukas A, Nelson RJ, British Neurosurgical Trainees’ Association. Has the impact of the working time regulations changed neurosurgical trainees’ attitudes towards the European working time directive 5 years on?. British Journal of Neurosurgery 2013, 27(5), 580-585.
- Coulter IC, Kolias AG, Marcus HJ, Ahmed AI, Alli S, Al-Mahfoudh R, Borg A, Cowie CJA, Hill CS, Joannides AJ, Jones TL, Kailaya-Vasan A, Livermore JL, Narayanamurthy H, Ngoga D, Shapey J, Tarnaris A, Gregson B, Gray L, Nelson R, Hutchinson PJ, Brennan PM. Proposal for a prospective multi-centre audit of chronic subdural haematoma management in the United Kingdom and Ireland. British Journal of Neurosurgery 2014, 28(2), 199-203.
- Kolias AG, Cowie CJ, Tarnaris A, Hutchinson PJ, Brennan PM. Ensuring a bright future for clinical research in surgery with trainee led research networks. BMJ 2013, 347, f5225.
- Mukerji N, Vergani F, Hassan F, Dubois J, Metcalfe S, Cowie C, Mitchell P. Using telephone logs instead of databases to accurately estimate neurosurgical on-call workload. British Journal of Neurosurgery 2013, 27(3), 344-347.
- Kolias AG, Jones TL, Cowie CJ, Coulter IC, Afshari FT, Tarnaris A, Nelson RJ, Gray WP, Hutchinson PJ, Brennan PM. A report from the inaugural meeting of the British Neurosurgical Trainee Research Collaborative held in the Royal College of Surgeons of England, 19 October 2012. British Journal of Neurosurgery 2013, 27(3), 307-310.
- Boukas A, Panaretos P, Cowie C, Nicholson C, Jenkins A. Congenital Glioblastoma Multiforme: Complete Resection with Long-Term Survival and a Novel Technique of Contralateral Cystoventriculostomy. Pediatric Neurosurgery 2012, 48(5), 327-330.
- Kolias AG, Cowie CJA, Tarnaris A, Hutchinson PJ, Brennan PM. Proposal for a British neurosurgical trainee research collaborative. British Journal of Neurosurgery 2012, 26(3), 434-435.
- Cowie CJA, Aribisala BS, He J, Peel A, Wood J, Mendelow AD, Mitchell P, Blamire AM. DTI findings in normal appearing grey and white matter correlate with deficits in cognitive function after mild and moderate traumatic brain injury. In: Proceedings of the 2012 Spring meeting of the Society of British Neurological Surgeons. 2012, Aberdeen: Informa Healthcare.
- Cowie C, Dalton A, Nath F. Stereotactic radiosurgery and the natural history of acoustic neuroma. In: Proceedings of the 2012 Spring meeting of the Society of British Neurological Surgeons. 2012, Aberdeen: Informa Healthcare.
- Cowie CJA, Strachan RD. Ultrasound preferred as the immediate preoperative investigation before three-pin rigid fixation. Child's Nervous System 2011, 27(9), 1365-1366.
- Aribisala BS, Cowie CJA, He J, Wood J, Mendelow AD, Mitchell P, Blamire AM. Multi-parametric Classification of Traumatic Brain Injury Patients Using Automatic Analysis of Quantitative MRI Scans. Medical Imaging and Augmented Reality. Lecture Notes in Computer Science (Medical Imaging and Augmented Reality) 2010, 6326, 51-59.
- Cowie CJA. EFFECTS OF FATIGUE IN DOCTORS European Working Time Directive may contribute to fatigue. BMJ-BRITISH MEDICAL JOURNAL 2013, 347.
- Aribisala BS, Cowie CJA, He JB, Wood J, Mendelow DA, Mitchell P, Blamire AM. A Histogram-Based Similarity Measure for Quantitative Magnetic Resonance Imaging: Application in Acute Mild Traumatic Brain Injury. Journal of Computer Assisted Tomography 2014, 38(6), 915-923.