- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 1136
- Address: Biomedical Research Building
Campus for Ageing and Vitality
My main role is to support the Biomarker's facility based at the Campus for Ageing and Vitality. I provide technical support, advice and training on a variety of molecular and cellular techniques applied on biomedical research. I love my work and really enjoy the variety of projects, having worked with a huge range of local, national and international projects and with a wide variety of sample types.
I also work part time for the Newcastle Brain Tissue Resource (NBTR) supporting them with brain dissections, processing and embedding of tissue. With them I’m gaining experience in immunohistochemistry techniques, basic tissue staining and tissue sectioning.
I maintain all certification required to comply with good clinical practice (GCP) for the handling of samples/projects arriving from NHS Trusts along with Human tissue Act compliance.
I am professionally registered with the Institute of Science and technology (IST) at the level of Registered Scientist (RSci), and also trained to assess applications to the Science Council for Registered Scientist or Registered Science Technician.
Biomarkers Facility: https://www.ncl.ac.uk/ion/about/facilities/biomarkers/
1993-2007 Texas A&M University, Research Assistant/ Lab manager
- Nettle D, Andrews C, Reichert S, Bedford T, Kolenda C, Parker C, Martin-Ruiz C, Monaghan P, Bateson M. Early-life adversity accelerates cellular ageing and affects adult inflammation: Experimental evidence from the European starling. Scientific Reports 2017, 7, 40794.
- Wyatt N, Hogarth L, Turner D, Patterson M, Jamieson D, Black F, Hutton C, Mulvenna P, Simmons T, Bradshaw A, Kolenda C, Parker C, Martin-Ruiz C, Greystoke A. Circulating Biomarkers of Frailty Are Associated with a Poor Prognosis in Patients with Advanced Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer (NSCLC). In: IASLC 17th World Conference on Lung Cancer. 2016, Vienna, Austria: Elsevier.
- Nettle D, Andrews C, Reichert S, Bedford T, Gott A, Parker C, Kolenda C, Martin-Ruiz C, Monaghan P, Bateson M. Brood size moderates associations between relative size, telomere length, and immune development in European starling nestlings. Ecology and Evolution 2016, 6(22), 8138-8148.
- Collerton J, Martin-Ruiz C, Davies K, Hilkens CM, Isaacs J, Kolenda C, Parker C, Dunn M, Catt M, Jagger C, von Zglinicki T, Kirkwood TB. Frailty and the role of inflammation, immunosenescence and cellular ageing in the very old: Cross-sectional findings from the Newcastle 85+ Study. Mechanisms of Ageing and Development 2012, 133(6), 456-466.
- Reed KA, Hobert ME, Kolenda CE, Sands KA, Rathman M, O'Connor M, Lyons S, Gewirtz AT, Sansonetti PJ, Madara JL. The Salmonella typhimurium flagellar basal body protein FliE is required for flagellin production and to induce a proinflammatory response in epithelial cells. Journal of Biological Chemistry 2002, 277(15), 13346-13353.
- Douglas K, Halbert N, Kolenda C, Childers C, Hunter D, Derr J. Complete mitochondrial DNA sequence analysis of Bison bison and bison-cattle hybrids: Function and phylogeny. Mitochondrion 2011, 11(1), 166-175.