Dr Dave Houghton
- Email: email@example.com
- Address: Institute of Neuroscience,
Newcastle Upon Tyne.
I have a specialist interest in how lifestyle influences lifelong health and wellbeing, and chronic disease, particularly diabetes, liver disease, cardiovascular disease and mitochondrial disorders. I currently work on human clinical trials and animal models of disease and ageing focussing on skeletal muscle, liver health, body composition, metabolic control, cardiac and autonomic functiom, mitochondrial function and nutritional status. I have previously conducted research into the gastrointestinal tract and how we can target this to improve the efficacy of lifestyle interventions, specifically targeting the gut microbiome. This is a passion of mine and I believe that in the future this will lay the foundations for a personalised medicine.
Areas of expertise
- Metabolic disorders
- Gut microbiome
SCOPUS: Click here.
- Houghton D, Stewart CJ, Stamp C, Nelson A, Ajami NJ, Petrosino JF, Wipat A, Trenell MI, Turnbull DM, Greaves LC. Age-related mitochondrial dysfunction influences the mouse intestinal microbiome composition. The Journals of Gerontology: Series A, Biological Sciences & Medical Sciences 2018, 73(5), 571-578.
- Okwose NC, Chowdhury S, Houghton D, Trenell MI, Eggett C, Bates M, Macgowan GA, Jakovljevic DG. Comparison of cardiac output estimates by bioreactance and inert gas rebreathing methods during cardiopulmonary exercise testing. Clinical Physiology and Functional Imaging 2018, 38(3), 483-490.
- Seeberg T, Orr J, Austad H, Roed M, Dalgard S, Houghton D, Jones D, Strisland F. A novel method for continuous, non-invasive, cuff-less measurement of blood pressure: Evaluation in patients with non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering 2017, 64(7), 1469-1478.
- Houghton D, Hallsworth K, Thoma C, Cassidy S, Hardy T, Heaps S, Hollingsworth KG, Taylor R, Day CP, Masson S, McPherson S, Anstee QM, Trenell MI. Effects of Exercise on Liver Fat and Metabolism in Alcohol Drinkers. Clinical Gastroenterology and Hepatology 2017, 15(10), 1596-1603.e3.
- Houghton D, Thoma C, Hallsworth K, Cassidy S, Hardy T, Burt AD, Tiniakos D, Hollingsworth KG, Taylor R, Day CP, McPherson S, Anstee QM, Trenell MI. Exercise Reduces Liver Lipids and Visceral Adiposity in Patients With Nonalcoholic Steatohepatitis in a Randomized Controlled Trial. Clinical Gastroenterology and Hepatology 2017, 15(1), 96-102.e3.
- Cassidy S, Thoma C, Houghton D, Trenell MI. High-intensity interval training: a review of its impact on glucose control and cardiometabolic health. Diabetologia 2017, 60(1), 7-23.
- Houghton D, Stewart CJ, Stamp C, Nelson A, Ajami NJ, Petrosino JF, Wipat A, Trenell MI, Turnbull DM, Greaves LC. Impact of Age-Related Mitochondrial Dysfunction and Exercise on Intestinal Microbiota Composition. The Journals of Gerontology: Series A 2017, glx197.
- Burte F, Houghton D, Lowes H, Pyle A, Nesbitt S, Yarnall A, Yu-Wai-Man P, Burn DJ, Santibanez-Koref M, Hudson G. Metabolic profiling of Parkinson's disease and mild cognitive impairment. Movement Disorders 2017, 32(6), 927–932.
- Siervo M, Oggioni C, Jakovljevic DG, Trenell M, Mathers JC, Houghton D, Celis-Morales C, Ashor AW, Ruddock A, Ranchordas M, Klonizakis M, Williams EA. Dietary nitrate does not affect physical activity or outcomes in healthy older adults in a randomized, cross-over trial. Nutrition Research 2016, 36(12), 1361-1369.
- Houghton DH, Thoma CT, Cassidy SC, Hallsworth KH, Hollingsworth KGH, Taylor RT, Day CPD, Anstee QMA, Trenell MIT. Exercise reduces liver fat and improves body composition but not insulin sensitivity or inflammatory markers in non-alcoholic steatohepatitis. In: Diabetes UK Professional Conference. 2016, Glasgow: Wiley-Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
- Houghton D, Stewart C, Day C, Trenell M. Gut microbiota and lifestyle interventions in NAFLD. International Journal of Molecular Sciences 2016, 17(4), 447.
- Houghton D, Jones TW, Cassidy S, Siervo M, MacGowan GA, Trenell MI, Jakovljevic DG. The effect of age on the relationship between cardiac and vascular function. Mechanisms of Ageing and Development 2016, 153, 1-6.
- Houghton D, Chater P, Wilcox M, Brownlee I, Trenell MI, Seal C, Pearson J. Alginate enriched bread attenuates circulating lipids and non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. In: 50th Annual Meeting of the European Association for the Study of the Liver. 2015, Vienna, Austria: Elsevier.
- Houghton D, Wilcox MD, Chater PI, Brownlee IA, Seal CJ, Pearson JP. Biological activity of alginate and its effect on pancreatic lipase inhibition as a potential treatment for obesity. Food Hydrocolloids 2015, 49, 18-24.
- Jones T, Houghton D, Cassidy S, MacGowan GA, Trenell MI, Jakovljevic DG. Bioreactance is a reliable method for estimating cardiac output at rest and during exercise. British Journal of Anaesthesia 2015, 115(3), 386-391.
- Houghton D, Thoma C, Hallsworth K, Hollingsworth KG, Day CP, Anstee QM, Trenell MI. Exercise reduces liver fat, visceral fat and circulating triglycerides, but not circulating inflammatory markers in non-alcoholic steatohepatitis. In: The International Liver Congress 2015 - 50th Annual meeting of the European Association for the Study of the Liver. 2015, Vienna, Austria: Elsevier BV.
- Chater PI, Wilcox MD, Houghton D, Pearson JP. The role of seaweed bioactives in the control of digestion: implications for obesity treatments. Food & Function 2015, 6(11), 3420-3427.
- Tolosa E, Litvan I, Hoglinger GU, Burn D, Lees A, Andres MV, Gomez-Carrillo B, Leon T, Del Ser T, Gomez JC, Tijero B, Berganzo K, Garcia de Yebenes J, Lopez Sendon JL, Garcia G, Tolosa E, Buongiorno MT, Bargallo N, Burguera JA, Martinez I, Ruiz-Martinez J, Narrativel I, Vivancos F, Ybot I, Aguilar M, Quilez P, Boada M, Lafuente A, Hernandez I, Lopez-Lozano JJ, Mata M, Kupsch A, Lipp A, Ebersbach G, Schmidt T, Hahn K, Hoglinger G, Hollerhage M, Oertel WH, Respondek G, Stamelou M, Reichmann H, Wolz M, Schneider C, Klingelhofer L, Berg D, Maetzler W, Srulijes KK, Ludolph A, Kassubek J, Steiger M, Tyler K, Burn DJ, Morris L, Lees A, Ling H, Hauser R, McClain T, Truong D, Jenkins S, Litvan I, Houghton D, Ferrara J, Bordelon Y, Gratiano A, Golbe L, Mark M, Uitti R, Ven Gerpen J. A phase 2 trial of the GSK-3 inhibitor tideglusib in progressive supranuclear palsy. Movement Disorders 2014, 29(4), 470-478.
- Houghton D, Wilcox MD, Brownlee IA, Chater P, Seal CJ, Pearson JP. Method for quantifying alginate and determining release from a food vehicle in gastrointestinal digesta. Food Chemistry 2014, 151, 352-357.
- Houghton D, Wilcox M, Brownlee I, Seal C, Pearson J. Alginate enriched bread as an obesity treatment. In: 20th International Congress of Nutrition. 2013, Granada, Spain: S. Karger AG.
- Houghton D, Hardy T, Stewart C, Errington L, Day CP, Trenell MI, Avery L. Systematic review assessing the effectiveness of dietary intervention on gut microbiota in adults with type 2 diabetes. Diabetologia 2018, Epub ahead of print.