Dr Fei Gao
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: 0191 208 8454
- Address: Wellcome Trust Centre for Mitochondrial Research,
4th floor Cookson Building,
Institute of Neuroscience,
The Medical School,
I am a post-doctoral research associate working in Professors Robert Lightowlers and Zosia Chrzanowska-Lightowlers' lab at University of Newcastle. I am funded by the Wellcome Trust with the aim of my project to identify the related signalling pathways of cell growth arrest caused by mitochondrial translation defects. My area of expertise is mitochondrial research.
Mitochondria are the vital organelles containing their own genome. Dysfunctional mitochondria may be due to the defect of nuclear-encoded proteins or 13 mitochondrial-encoded proteins. Mitochondrial dysfunction causes a variety of human mitochondrial diseases. It has been found that loss of mitochondrial translation proteins cause human cell death, cell growth arrest and cell morphology changes. However, the mechanism behind is still unclear.
My project aims to find the related mitochondrial signalling molecules and pathways which monitor mitochondria quality and communicate between mitochondria and the nucleus. High-throughput screening and microarray are good tools to determine the signalling pathways in this project. The finding of this project will help us gain a better understanding of the mechanism of mitochondria disease and a potential way for the future drug design.
- Gao F, Wesolowska M, Agami R, Rooijers K, Loayza-Puch F, Lawless C, Lightowlers RN, Chrzanowska-Lightowlers ZMA. Using mitoribosomal profiling to investigate human mitochondrial translation [version 2; referees: 2 approved]. Wellcome Open Research 2018, 2, 116.
- Tai HR, Wang Z, Gong H, Han XJ, Zhou J, Wang XB, Wei XW, Ding Y, Huang N, Qin JQ, Zhang J, Wang S, Gao F, Chrzanowska-Lightowlers ZM, Xiang R, Xiao HY. Autophagy impairment with lysosomal and mitochondrial dysfunction is an important characteristic of oxidative stress-induced senescence. Autophagy 2017, 13(1), 99-113.
- Mavin E, Nicholson L, Amed RS, Gao F, Dickinson A, Wang Xiao-nong. Human regulatory T cells mediate transcriptional modulation of dendritic cell function. The Journal of Immunology 2017, 198(1), 138-146.
- Rozanska A, Richter-Dennerlein R, Rorbach J, Gao F, Lewis RJ, Chrzanowska-Lightowlers ZM, Lightowlers RN. The human RNA-binding protein RBFA promotes the maturation of the mitochondrial ribosome. Biochemical Journal 2017, 474(13), 2145-2158.
- Gao F, Wesolowska M, Agami R, Rooijers K, Loayza-Puch F, Lawless C, Lightowlers RN, Chrzanowska-Lightowlers ZM. Using mitoribosomal profiling to investigate human mitochondrial translation. Wellcome Open Research 2017, 2, 116.
- Rorbach J, Gao F, Powell CA, D'Souza A, Lightowlers RN, Minczuk M, Chrzanowska-Lightowlers ZM. Human mitochondrial ribosomes can switch their structural RNA composition. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 2016, 113(43), 12198-12201.