Dr Gavin Clowry
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 5981
- Address: Institute of Neuroscience
The Medical School
Newcastle upon Tyne
I am active in both research and teaching; supervising and conducting research into the development, plasticity and repair of the nervous system, and teaching anatomy, neuroanatomy and stem cell biology to both post-graduates and undergraduates.
- MA University of Oxford
- DPhil University of Oxford
- Associate Research Fellow, Department of Pharmacology, University of Oxford
- Associate Research Fellow, Dept. of Anatomy and Developmental Biology, University College London
- Lecturer, Department of Child Health, Newcastle University
- Senior Lecturer, Institute of Neuroscience, Newcastle University
Area of expertise: Neuroscience, Anatomy, Developmental Biology
Google scholar: Click here.
Development, plasticity and repair of the nervous system, particularly the sensorimotor system. Molecular neuroanatomical approaches including neural tracing, immunohistochemistry and gene expression profiling.
1) Characterisation of the development of the human corticospinal tract and development of the human cortex including the emergence of a functioning motor cortex; understanding what guides the differentation of progenitor cells into corticospinal neurons and interneurons in the human fetal brain.
2) Studying expression of schizophrenia susceptibility genes in the early fetal human thalamus and cerebral cortex.
3) exploring cortical interneuron function and mitochondrial deficits in mouse transgenic models of senile dementia.
4) Understanding the plasticity of the corticospinal and reticulospinal systems in response to lesions and ageing in animal models.
Currently co-supervising three PhD students; Clare Tweedy, Nelson Manzanza and Abdullah Ben Awadh and 2 MRes students, Niveditha Sankar and Caoimhe McCrory. Four PhD students have recently successfully completed their studies: Reem Basuodan and Ayman Alzu'bi in 2018, Lauren Harkin in 2017 and Michael Clarke in 2013. In total I have supervised or co-supervised 15 PhD students to completion.
Recent Esteem Indicators
Elected Council Member and Research Officer of the Anatomical Society.
Co-organiser and speaker, symposium on "Human Cerebral Cortex Development", part of the Summer Meeting of the Anatomical Society in Oxford, 2018.
Co-organiser of the first UK sensorimotor meeting, Newcastle University May 2016.
Invited speaker at international symposium: "Understanding nerve-muscle interactions in health and disease", Warsaw, September 2015.
Invited speaker: European Academy of Childhood Disability annual meeting, Copenhagen, May 2015.
Invited participant: The Company of Biologists international workshop " Evolution of he human neocortex: how unique are we?" Worthing, September, 2013. http://thenode.biologists.com/neocortex-evolution-and-human-uniqueness/discussion/
Chaired a symposium at the British Neuroscience Association meeting, London, April 9th 2013, " GABAergic neurotransmission in the human cerebral cortex:same rules apply?
Research Topic Editor, Frontiers in Neurology, "Improving outcomes in cerebral palsy with early interventions; new translational approaches" http://journal.frontiersin.org/researchtopic/1834 now published as an ebook.
Guest Editor of the Journal Of Anatomy symposium issue 2010: "Development of the Human Neocortex" and part issue for mini-symposium 2015: "GABAergic neurotransmission in the human cerebral cortex".
Member of the Editorial Advisory Board of Journal of Anatomy, Translational Neuroscience.
Associate Editor, BMC Neuroscience; Review Editor, Frontiers in Neuroanatomy.
Ad hoc reviewer for many journals including Proc Natl Acad Sci USA, Cerebral Cortex and Journal of Neuroscience, (see https://publons.com/author/195744/gavin-john-clowry)
and for the MRC, BBSRC, Wellcome Trust, European Research Council, Croatian Science Foundation, Action Medical Research, and the Motor Neurone Disease Association.
Our publication 'Ip BK, Wappler I, Peters H, Lindsay S, Clowry GJ, Bayatti N (2010) Investigating gradients of gene expression involved in early human cortical development. Journal of Anatomy 217: 300-311' was awarded a prize for best paper in the Journal of Anatomy 2010.
Co-holder of a £2 million grant from Wellcome Trust/MRC to fund the Human Developmental Biology Resource and holder of grant from Kavli Foundation to provide tissue for single cell atlas of developing brain. Clare Tweedy was supported by an MRC/CASE studentship. Nelson Manzanza is supported by a studentship from the Angolan Government. Collaboration with James Bourne (Monash) on thalamus development and schizophrenia funded by Newcastle/Monash.
Previously funding includes co-holding of programme grants from the Wellcome Trust, also awards from the Anatomical Society, Children's Foundation, Newcastle University Hospitals Special Trustees, Motor Neuron Disease Association and Alkor Biotech for an industrial/academic collaborative project.
- MBBS stage2 (normal and accelerated programmes) Functional anatomy of the upper limb; repair and regeneration in the nervous system
- Biomedical Sciences stage 2. Neuroanatomy lecture
- Biomedical Sciences stage 3. Research project supervision.
- Pharmacology stage 3. Neuroanatomy lecture, practical and tutorial.
- Physiology stage 3. Neuroanatomy practical.
- Psychology stage 3. Neuroanatomy practical.
- PhD/MPhil supervision
- MRes deputy programme director (projects) and MRes Neuroscience theme lead
- MRes neuroanatomy (practical)
- MRes Anatomy (upper limb practical)
- MRes Stem Cell and Regenerative Medicine (Lecturer)
- MRes research project supervision
- Anatomy teaching in training courses for doctors and allied health professionals
- External examiner for Sheffield University, MSc in Translational Neuroscience 2012-2015.
- Clowry GJ, Alzu'bi A, Harkin LF, Sarma S, Kerwin J, Lindsay S. Charting the protomap of the human telencephalon. Seminars in Cell and Developmental Biology 2018, 76, 3-14.
- Basuodan R, Basu A, Clowry G. Human neural stem cells dispersed in artificial ECM form cerebral organoids when grafted in vivo. Journal of Anatomy 2018, 233(2), 155-166.
- Robson E, Tweedy C, Manzanza N, Taylor J-P, Atkinson P, Randall F, Reeve A, Clowry GJ, LeBeau FEN. Impaired Fast Network Oscillations and Mitochondrial Dysfunction in a Mouse Model of Alpha-synucleinopathy (A30P). Neuroscience 2018, 377, 161-173.
- Alzu'bi A, Lindsay SJ, Harkin LF, McIntyre J, Lisgo SN, Clowry GJ. The Transcription Factors COUP-TFI and COUP-TFII have Distinct Roles in Arealisation and GABAergic Interneuron Specification in the Early Human Fetal Telencephalon. Cerebral Cortex 2017, 27(10), 4971-4987.
- Harkin LF, Lindsay SJ, Xu Y, Alzu'bi A, Ferrara A, Gullon EA, James OG, Clowry GJ. Neurexins 1–3 Each Have a Distinct Pattern of Expression in the Early Developing Human Cerebral Cortex. Cerebral Cortex 2017, 27(1), 216-232.
- Danilenko M, Dalgliesh C, Pagliarini V, Naro C, Ehrmann I, Feracci M, Kheirollahi-Chadegani M, Tyson-Capper A, Clowry GJ, Fort P, Dominguez C, Sette C, Elliott DJ. Binding site density enables paralog-specific activity of SLM2 and Sam68 proteins in Neurexin2 AS4 splicing control. Nucleic Acids Research 2017, 45(7), 4120–4130.
- Ehrmann I, Gazzara MR, Pagliarini V, Dalgliesh C, Kheirollahi-Chadegani M, Xu Y, Cesari E, Danilenko M, Maclennan M, Lowdon K, Vogel T, Keskivali-Bond P, Wells S, Cater H, Fort P, Sanibanez-Koref M, Middei S, Sette C, Clowry GJ, Barash Y, Cunningham MO, Elliott DJ. A SLM2 Feedback Pathway Controls Cortical Network Activity and Mouse Behavior. Cell Reports 2016, 17(12), 3269-3280.
- Alzubi A, Lindsay S, Kerwin J, Looi SJ, Khalil F, Clowry GJ. Distinct cortical and sub-cortical neurogenic domains for GABAergic interneuron precursor transcription factors NKX2.1, OLIG2 and COUP-TFII in early fetal human telencephalon. Brain Structure and Function 2017, 222(5), 2309–2328.
- Lindsay SJ, Xu YB, Lisgo SN, Harkin LF, Copp AJ, Gerrelli D, Clowry GJ, Talbot A, Keogh MJ, Coxhead J, Santibanez-Koref M, Chinnery PF. HDBR Expression: A Unique Resource for Global and Individual Gene Expression Studies during Early Human Brain Development. Frontiers in Neuroanatomy 2016, 10, 86.
- Sohal HS, Clowry GJ, Jackson A, O'Neill A, Baker SN. Mechanical Flexibility Reduces the Foreign Body Response to Long-Term Implanted Microelectrodes in Rabbit Cortex. PLoS One 2016, 11(10), e0165606.
- Harkin LF, Gerrelli D, Diaz DCG, Santos C, Alzu'bi A, Austin CA, Clowry GJ. Distinct expression patterns for type II topoisomerases IIA and IIB in the early foetal human telencephalon. Journal of Anatomy 2016, 228(3), 452-463.
- Al-Jaberi N, Lindsay S, Sarma S, Bayatti N, Clowry GJ. The Early Fetal Development of Human Neocortical GABAergic Interneurons. Cerebral Cortex 2015, 25(3), 631-645.
- Clowry GJ. An enhanced role and expanded developmental origins for gamma-aminobutyric acidergic interneurons in the human cerebral cortex. Journal of Anatomy 2015, 227(4), 384-393.
- Basu A, Clowry G. Improving outcomes in cerebral palsy with early intervention: new translational approaches. Frontiers in Neurology 2015, 6, 24.
- Clowry GJ, Basuodan R, Chan F. What are the Best Animal Models for Testing Early Intervention in Cerebral Palsy?. Frontiers in Neurology 2014, 5, 258.
- Clowry GJ. Seeking clues in brain development to explain the extraordinary evolution of language in humans. Language Sciences 2014, 46(Part B), 220-231.
- Sohal HS, Jackson A, Jackson R, Clowry GJ, Vassilevski K, O'Neill A, Baker SN. The sinusoidal probe: a new approach to improve electrode longevity . Frontiers in Neuroengineering 2014, 7, 10.
- Simon A, Traub RD, Vladimirov N, Jenkins A, Nicholson C, Whittaker RG, Schofield I, Clowry GJ, Cunningham MO, Whittington MA. Gap junction networks can generate both ripple-like and fast ripple-like oscillations. European Journal of Neuroscience 2014, 39(1), 46-60.
- Ehrmann I, Dalgliesh C, Liu Y, Danilenko M, Crosier M, Overman L, Arthur HM, Lindsay S, Clowry GJ, Venables JP, Fort P, Elliott DJ. The Tissue-Specific RNA Binding Protein T-STAR Controls Regional Splicing Patterns of Neurexin Pre-mRNAs in the Brain. PLoS Genetics 2013, 9(4), e1003474.
- Molnar Z, Clowry G. Cerebral cortical development in rodents and primates. In: Hofman, M.A., Falk, D, ed. Progress in Brain Research: Evolution of the Primate Brain. Amsterdam: Elsevier, 2012, pp.45-70.
- Ali H, Forraz N, McGuckin C, Jurga M, Lindsay S, Ip BK, Trevelyan A, Basford C, Habibollah S, Ahmad S, Clowry GJ, Bayatti N. In vitro modelling of cortical neurogenesis by sequential induction of human umbilical cord blood stem cells. Stem Cell Reviews and Reports 2012, 8(1), 210-223.
- Ip BK, Bayatti N, Howard NJ, Lindsay S, Clowry GJ. The Corticofugal Neuron-Associated Genes ROBO1, SRGAP1, and CTIP2 Exhibit an Anterior to Posterior Gradient of Expression in Early Fetal Human Neocortex Development. Cerebral Cortex 2011, 21(6), 1395-1407.
- Chen A, Clowry GJ. Could autologous cord blood stem cell transplantation treat cerebral palsy?. Translational Neuroscience 2011, 2(3), 207-218.
- Chen A, Siow B, Blamire AM, Lako M, Clowry GJ. Transplantation of magnetically labeled mesenchymal stem cells in a model of perinatal brain injury. Stem Cell Research 2010, 5(3), 255-266.
- Clowry G, Molnar Z, Rakic P. Renewed focus on the developing human neocortex. Journal of Anatomy 2010, 217(4), 276-288.
- Ip BK, Wappler I, Peters H, Lindsay S, Clowry GJ, Bayatti N. Investigating gradients of gene expression involved in early human cortical development. Journal of Anatomy 2010, 217(4), 300-311.
- Wang WZ, Hoerder-Suabedissen A, Oeschger FM, Bayatti N, Ip BK, Lindsay S, Supramaniam V, Srinivasan L, Rutherford M, Mollgard K, Clowry GJ, Molnar Z. Subplate in the developing cortex of mouse and human. Journal of Anatomy 2010, 217(4), 368-380.
- Basu A, Graziadio S, Smith M, Clowry GJ, Cioni G, Eyre JA. Developmental Plasticity Connects Visual Cortex to Motoneurons After Stroke. Annals of Neurology 2010, 67(1), 132-136.
- Galley S, Clowry GJ. Plasticity to neonatal sensorimotor cortex injury: Plasticity to neonatal sensorimotor cortex injury in the YFP-CST mouse. Translational Neuroscience 2010, 1(1), 16-23.
- Fisher T, Clowry GJ. Elimination of Muscle Afferent Boutons from the Cuneate Nucleus of the Rat Medulla During Development. Neuroscience 2009, 161(3), 787-793.
- Bayatti N, Moss JA, Sun L, Ambrose P, Ward JFH, Lindsay S, Clowry GJ. A molecular neuroanatomical study of the developing human neocortex from 8 to 17 postconceptional weeks revealing the early differentiation of the subplate and subventricular zone. Cerebral Cortex 2008, 18(7), 1536-1548.
- Bayatti N, Sarma S, Shaw C, Eyre JA, Vouyiouklis DA, Lindsay S, Clowry GJ. Progressive loss of PAX6, TBR2, NEUROD and TBR1 mRNA gradients correlates with translocation of EMX2 to the cortical plate during human cortical development. European Journal of Neuroscience 2008, 28(8), 1449-1456.
- Chen A, Dimambro N, Clowry GJ. A comparison of behavioural and histological outcomes of periventricular injection of ibotenic acid in neonatal rats at postnatal days 5 and 7. Brain Research 2008, 1201, 187-195.
- Eyre JA, Smith M, Dabydeen L, Clowry GJ, Petacchi E, Battini R, Guzzetta A, Cioni G. Is hemiplegic cerebral palsy equivalent to amblyopia of the corticospinal system?. Annals of Neurology 2007, 62(5), 493-503.
- Clowry GJ. The dependence of spinal cord development on corticospinal input and its significance in understanding and treating spastic cerebral palsy. Neuroscience and Biobehavioral Reviews 2007, 31(8), 1114-1124.
- Clowry G, Slawinska U. Recovery of function after spinal cord injury. In: Nogradi, A, ed. Transplantation of Neural Tissue into the Spinal Cord. Georgetown, Texas: Landes Bioscience, 2006, pp.24-51.
- Clowry GJ, Walker L, Davies P. The effects of botulinum neurotoxin A induced muscle paresis during a critical period upon muscle and spinal cord development in the rat. Experimental Neurology 2006, 202(2), 456-469.
- Clowry GJ, Moss JA, Clough RL. An immunohistochemical study of the development of sensorimotor components of the early fetal human spinal cord. Journal of Anatomy 2005, 207(4), 313-324.
- Clowry GJ, McHanwell S. Brainstem motor nuclei respond differentially to degenerative disease in the mutant mouse wobbler. Neuropathology and Applied Neurobiology 2004, 30(2), 148-160.
- Clowry GJ, Davies BM, Upile NS, Gibson CL, Bradley PM. Spinal cord plasticity in response to unilateral inhibition of the rat motor cortex during development: Changes to gene expression, muscle afferents and the ipsilateral corticospinal projection. European Journal of Neuroscience 2004, 20(10), 2555-2566.
- Gibson CL, Clowry GJ. The effect on motor cortical neuronal development of focal lesions to the sub-cortical white matter in the neonatal rat: A model for periventricular leukomalacia. International Journal of Developmental Neuroscience 2003, 21(4), 171-182.
- Dobson CB, Villagra F, Clowry GJ, Smith M, Kenwrick S, Donnai D, Miller S, Eyre JA. Abnormal corticospinal function but normal axonal guidance in human L1CAM mutations. Brain 2001, 124(12), 2393-2406.
- McDonough SM, Clowry GJ, Miller S, Eyre JA. Reciprocal and Renshaw (recurrent) inhibition are functional in man at birth. Brain Research 2001, 899(1-2), 66-81.
- Clowry GJ, Arnott GA, Clement-Jones M, Fallah Z, Gould S, Wright C. Changing pattern of expression of parvalbumin immunoreactivity during human fetal spinal cord development. Journal of Comparative Neurology 2000, 423(4), 727-735.
- Eyre JA, Miller S, Clowry GJ, Conway EA, Watts C. Functional corticospinal projections are established prenatally in the human foetus permitting involvement in the development of spinal motor centres. Brain 2000, 123(1), 51-64.
- Gibson CL, Clowry GJ. N-methyl-D-aspartate receptor blockade during development induces short-term but not long-term changes in c-Jun and parvalbumin expression in the rat cervical spinal cord. Experimental Neurology 2000, 170(2), 380-384.
- Gibson CL, Arnott GA, Clowry GJ. Plasticity in the rat spinal cord seen in response to lesions to the motor cortex during development but not to lesions in maturity. Experimental Neurology 2000, 166(2), 422-434.
- Clowry GJ, Flecknell PA. The successful use of fentanyl/fluanisone ('Hypnorm') as an anaesthetic for intracranial surgery in neonatal rats. Laboratory Animals 2000, 34(3), 260-264.
- Fallah Z, Clowry GJ. The effect of a peripheral nerve lesion on calbindin D28k immunoreactivity in the cervical ventral horn of developing and adult rats. Experimental Neurology 1999, 156(1), 111-120.
- Gibson CL, Clowry GJ. Retraction of muscle afferents from the rat ventral horn during development. NeuroReport 1999, 10(2), 231-235.
- Gibson CL, Clowry GJ. Transient expression of calcitonin gene-related peptide immunoreactivity in the ventral horn of the post-natal rat cervical spinal cord. Developmental Brain Research 1999, 115(1), 93-96.
- Fallah Z, Clowry GJ. Gephyrin-like immunoreactivity is a marker for growing axons in the central nervous system of the immature rat. Developmental Neuroscience 1999, 21(1), 50-57.
- Clowry GJ, Fallah Z, Arnott G. Developmental expression of parvalbumin by rat lower cervical spinal cord neurones and the effect of early lesions to the motor cortex. Developmental Brain Research 1997, 102(2), 197-208.
- Clowry GJ, McHanwell S. Expression of nitric oxide synthase by motor neurones in the spinal cord of the mutant mouse wobbler. Neuroscience Letters 1996, 215(3), 177-180.