Dr Jill Cadwgan
Associate Clinical Researcher
- Email: email@example.com
I am a consultant in paediatric neurodisability at the Evelina London Children's Hospital and an Associate Clinical Researcher at Newcastle University. I am the Honorary Secretary of the British Academy of Childhood Disability.
My clinical and research interests are:
- Management of motor disorders.
- Feeding, nutrition, and visual impairment in children with cerebral palsy and other complex medical and developmental needs.
- Facilitating participation and improving function in children with cerebral palsy and other complex medical and developmental needs.
MBChB (Leeds, 2000)
PGCertClinEd (Newcastle, 2006)
CCT paediatric neurodisability (2009)
Consultant in child development and neurodisability and clinical lead in neurodisability at the Great North Children's Hospital.
*Previously Jill Kisler
My research interests include development of services for children with neurodevelopmental disorders and the development of evidence based clinical practice in neurodisability.
2017 – Present: NIHR HTA (Co-applicant). Focus on Early Eating Drinking and Swallowing review.
2014 – 2017: NIHR HTA £254,174 (Chief Investigator). Standing frames as part of postural management for children with spasticity. What is the acceptability of a trial to determine the efficacy of standing frames?
2013 – 2015: Wellchild £57,000, the Castang Foundation £60,000, The Children's Foundation £21,000, British Academy of Childhood Disability £25,000 (Principal Investigator). Trial of Glycopyrronium versus Hyoscine to treat drooling in children - DRI Trial (Drooling Reduction Intervention).
2012 – 2014: BACD Paul Polani Research Award £7,473 (Co-Principal Investigator with Dr Anna Basu). The use of taping to improve thumb and wrist posture and hand use in infants with non-progressive brain lesions affection hand function.
2013 – 2014: Action Research £109,372 (Co-applicant). Augmented Reality Stories for Upper Limb Rehabilitation of Preschool Children with Hemiplegic Cerebral Palsy.
2011 – 2014: NIHR RfPB £257,000. Trial of Bespoke Video Games to improve Bimanual Function. Limbs Alive Use of video games to provide motivating, child centred therapy to improve bimanual skills for children with hemiplegic cerebral palsy.
2011 – 2012: FSF funding £78,336 (Co-applicant). Development of computer based "app" technology to produce interactive stories for infants and toddlers with hemiplegia as therapeutic intervention tools.
2011: WellChild funding £46,733 (Responsible Clinician). Play-based therapy to improve upper limb function in young children with hemiplegic cerebral palsy.
2010 – 2011: FSF funding £7,087 (Responsible Clinician). Decision-making in gastrostomy feeding of children with Neurodevelopmental disabilities "Supporting families considering gastrostomy"
I am committed to clinical learning and teaching and completed my Certificate of Clinical Education as a trainee. My roles have included:
Y1: Co-ordinator from "Growing Child" component of curriculum
Y3: Paediatric tutor - Essential Junior Rotations
Y4: SSC tutor
Y5: Paediatric tutor - Essential Senior Rotations
Clinical and educational supervision of GRID trainees
Clinical supervision of GPVTS trainees in paediatric rotations
ARCP panel member: Health Education North East
Course lead for RCPCH How to Manage Course - for Neurodevelopmental Disorders (London, 2017)
Faculty for development of RCPCH-supported Progressing Paediatrics course on managing abnormal tone, posture, and movements in children with neurodevelopmental disorders (London 2013, York 2014, Birmingham 2015)
Faculty for Paediatric Epilepsy Training (PET) Level 1 + 2 course.
- Cadwgan J, Pearse J, Devlin A, Basu A. Fifteen Minute Consultation: Management of the upper limb in unilateral cerebral palsy. Archives of Disease in Childhood 2018. In Press.
- Goodwin J, Lecouturier J, Basu A, Colver A, Crombie S, Smith J, Howel D, McColl E, Parr JR, Kolehmainen N, Roberts A, Miller K, Cadwgan J. Standing Frames as Postural Management for Children with Cerebral Palsy: A Mixed Methods Feasibility Study. Health Technology Assessment 2018. In Press.
- Goodwin J, Lecouturier J, Crombie S, Smith J, Basu A, Colver A, Kolehmainen N, Parr JR, Howel D, McColl E, Roberts A, Miller K, Cadwgan J. Understanding frames: A qualitative study of young people's experiences of using standing frames as part of postural management for cerebral palsy. Child Care, Health and Development 2018, 44(2), 203-211.
- Goodwin J, Colver A, Basu A, Crombie S, Howel D, Parr JR, McColl E, Kolehmainen N, Roberts A, Lecouturier J, Smith J, Miller K, Cadwgan J. Understanding frames: A UK survey of parents and professionals regarding the use of standing frames for children with cerebral palsy. Child: Care, Health & Development 2018, 44(2), 195-202.
- Parr JR, Todhunter E, Pennington L, Stocken D, Cadwgan J, O'Hare AE, Tuffrey C, Williams J, Cole M, Colver AF. Drooling Reduction Intervention randomised trial (DRI): comparing the efficacy and acceptability of hyoscine patches and glycopyrronium liquid on drooling in children with neurodisability. Archives of of Disease in Childhood 2017.
- Crombie S, Goodwin J, Cadwgan J. Understanding Frames: A UK survey of parents and professionals regarding the use of standing frames for children with cerebral palsy. In: APCP Conference. 2017, Cardiff, UK.
- Cadwgan J, Goodwin J. Understanding Frames: Evaluating “inherited” clinical practice in children and young people with cerebral palsy. In: RCPCH 2017 Annual Conference. 2017, Birmingham, UK.
- Goodwin J, Lecouturier J, Crombie S, Smith J, Cadwgan J. Understanding Frames: Implementation of standing frames as part of postural management for children with cerebral palsy in the classroom. In: European Academy of Childhood Disability. 2017, Amsterdam, Netherlands: Developmental Medicine and Child Neurology.
- Goodwin J, Lecouturier J, Crombie S, Smith J, Cadwgan J. Understanding Frames: Young people’s experiences of using standing frames as postural management in cerebral palsy. In: European Academy of Childhood Disability. 2017, Amsterdam, Netherlands: Wiley-Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
- Goodwin J, Lecouturier J, Crombie S, Smith J, Cadwgan J. Understanding Frames: Young people’s experiences of using standing frames as postural management in cerebral palsy. In: Great North Children’s Research Community Conference. 2017, Sage, Gateshead.
- Goodwin J, Lecouturier J, Crombie S, Smith J, Cadwgan J. Young people’s experiences of using standing frames as postural management in cerebral palsy. In: YPAGne Young people’s voices: shaping the future of research and healthcare. 2016, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK.
- Kisler J, Pearse J, Wisher V, Robson S, Kelly S, Gardner D, Basu A. Can taping improve hand posture and use in infants with asymmetric cerebral palsy?. In: British Paediatric Neurology Assocation Annual Meeting. 2015, Gateshead, Newcastle upon Tyne: Wiley-Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
- Cadwgan J. Doing and Diagnosing: Practical interventions in Tertiary Neurodisability. In: BPNA Annual Conference. 2015, Gateshead, UK.
- Basu AP, Pearse J, Kelly S, Wisher V, Kisler J. Early intervention to improve hand function in hemiplegic cerebral palsy. Frontiers in Neurology 2015, 5, 281.
- Sohal APS, Whittle V, Nicholson C, Kisler J. Where did the oral tube originate from?. Journal of Paediatrics and Child Health 2015, 51(7), 738-738.
- Hamilton E, Polder E, Vanderver A, Naidu S, Schiffmann R, Fisher K, Raguz AB, Blumkin L, Researchgroup H-ABC, vanBerkel C, Waisfisz Q, Abbink T, Wolf N, vanderKnaap M. Hypomyelination with atrophy of the basal ganglia and cerebellum: further delineation of the phenotype and genotype-phenotype correlation. Brain 2014, 137(7), 1921-1930.
- Kisler J. Parental reaction to disability. Paediatrics and Child Health 2014, 24(8), 331-336.
- Kisler J. Personal Practice Session: Role of PICU in the care of patients with complex Neurodevelopmental disorders: Working together. In: 28th Annual Paediatrics Intensive Care Society Annual Conference. 2014, Gateshead, UK.
- Basu A, Kisler J. The Use of taping to improve thumb and wrist posture and hand use in infants with non progressive brain lesions affecting hand function. In: BACD. 2014, Birmingham.
- Kisler J. Vision in Neurodevelopmental Disorders. In: 7th Middlesbrough Neuro-developmental Paediatrics Sym. 2014, Sedgefield, UK.
- Simons C, Wolf NI, McNeil N, Caldovic L, Devaney JM, Takanohashi A, Crawford J, Ru K, Gimmond SM, Miller D, Tonduti D, Schmidt JL, Chudnow RS, vanCoster R, Lagae L, Kisler J, Sperner J, vanderKnaap MS, Schiffman R, Taft RJ, Vanderver A. A De Novo Mutation in the β-Tubulin Gene TUBB4A Results in the Leukoencephalopathy Hypomyelination with Atrophy of the Basal Ganglia and Cerebellum. American Journal of Human Genetics 2013, 92(5), 767-773.
- Tang A, Lodh R, George B, Kelly S, Kisler J. Can we predict the journey of spasticity management in children with CP. A longitudinal, observational Study. In: European Academy of Childhood Disability. 2013, Gateshead.
- Richardson P, George B, Doyle A, Kelly S, Kisler J. How should we listen to the children? Developing a child reporting assessment questionnaire in a tertiary spasticity clinic. In: European Academy of Childhood Disability. 2013, Gateshead.
- Tang A, George B, Kelly S, Kisler J. Reviewing the regional hip surveillance guidelines in children with cerebral palsy (CP) in the North of England: Adherence and feasibility?. In: European Academy of Childhood Disability. 2013, Gateshead.
- Doyle A, Kelly S, Pang K, Kisler J. Are Treatment Goals for Children with Cerebral Palsy Receiving Botulinum Toxin met on clinical assessment at Follow-up. Are parent's recognising these benefits?. In: European Academy of Childhood Disability. 2012, Istanbul.
- Robson S, Parr J, Buswell C, Thomas J, Kisler J, Colver A, Thomson R, Pennington L. Decision Making in Gastrostomy: A pilot study of parents' and clinicians' views. In: BACD. 2012, Derby.
- Kisler J. Neurodevelopmental disorders in childhood: impact on dental health, and paediatric dentistry. In: Annual Conference of British Paediatric Dental Association. 2012, Gateshead.
- Dodd H, Kelly S, Pang K, Kisler J. Are treatment goals for children with cerebral palsy receiving botulinum toxin different between community therapists and the regional spasticity team?. In: European Academy of Childhood Disability. 2011, Rome.
- Ling ITC, Basu AP, Kisler J, Kelly S, Gibson M, Pang K. Is Botulinum Toxin A (BTXA) to calf muscles as effective for children with Hereditary Spastic Paraparesis as for those with cerebral palsy?. In: Developmental Medicine and Child Neurology: Abstracts of the 23rd Annual Meeting of the European Academy of Childhood Disability 23rd Annual Meeting. 2011, Rome, Italy: Mac Keith Press.
- Lodh R, Dodd H, Kelly S, Pang K, Kisler J. The role of Botulinum Toxin treatment in a regional spasticity management service. In: European Academy of Childhood Disability. 2011, Rome.
- Kisler JE, Whittaker RG, McFarland R. Mitochondrial diseases in childhood: a clinical approach to investigation and management. Developmental Medicine and Child Neurology 2010, 52(5), 422-433.
- Kisler JE, Gibson MT, Mitra D. Brachial Plexus injury with contralateral hemiplegia. In: BPNA Annual Conference. 2008, Leeds: Developmental Medicine and Child Neurology.
- Kisler JE, Pysden K, Horridge K, Pang K, Ramesh V, Livingston J. Electro-clinical phenotype of MECP2 duplication Syndrome. In: BPNA Annual Conference. 2008, Birmingham.
- Kelly S, Watkinson V, Kisler J, Gibson MT. Improving communication with local therapists in a regional spasticity and botulinum toxin treatment service. In: European Academy of Childhood Disability. 2008, Zagreb.
- Kisler JE, Gibson MT, Thomas J, Colver A. The impact of intrauterine Growth and feeding in children with Cerebral Palsy. In: European Academy of Childhood Disability. 2007, Groningen. In Preparation.
- Kisler J, Jandial S, Mellon A. Effective Clinical Handover- A learning experience. In: ASME Conference. 2006, Aberdeen.
- Cadwgan JE, Holland PC, Butler G. An investigation into the factors determining the age of self injection of children with Insulin Dependant Diabetes Mellitus and Growth Hormone Deficiency. In: Annual Meeting of the British Society for Paediatric Endocrinologists. 1998, Cardiff.