Dr Jonathon Dunn
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: 07730015855
- Address: Institute of Neuroscience
Henry Wellcome Building for Neuroecology
Newcastle upon Tyne
I am a Research Associate for the Institute of Neuroscience at Newcastle University. My areas of expertise are conservation, ecology, behavioural ecology, galliformes and starlings.
I have an eclectic research background, with interests in conservation, applied ecology and animal behaviour. My PhD focused on the conservation of a suite of threatened gamebird species in the Himalayas with Professor Mark Whittingham and Dr Philip McGowan at Newcastle University, but I have worked on a variety of projects with collaborators such as the RSPB and Scottish Wind farm Bird Steering Group to examine a range of issues, from endangered bird conservation in Sao Tome e Principe, to the management of habitats controlled by wind farm companies in Scotland. Recently, I have focused on animal behaviour with a special interest in foraging ecology in the European starling, working with Professors Daniel Nettle and Melissa Bateson at Newcastle University.
Google Scholar: Click here.
- van Berkel M, Bateson M, Nettle D, Dunn J. Can starlings use a reliable cue of future food deprivation to adaptively modify foraging and fat reserves?. Animal Behaviour 2018, 142, 147-155. In Press.
- Dunn JC, Buchanan GM, Stein RW, Whittingham MJ, McGowan PJK. Optimising different types of biodiversity coverage of protected areas with a case study using Himalayan Galliformes. Biological Conservation 2016, 196, 22-30.
- Zwart MC, Dunn JC, McGowan PJK, Whittingham MJ. Wind farm noise suppresses territorial defense behavior in a songbird. Behavioral Ecology 2016, 27(1), 101-108.
- Dunn JC, Zwart MC, Kerr S, Fielding AH, Whittingham MJ. Desk based evaluation of wind farms and habitat management in Scotland. Edinburgh, Scotland: SWBSG, 2015. SWBSG 1503.
- Dunn JC, Buchanan GM, Cuthbert RJ, Whittingham MJ, McGowan PJK. Mapping the potential distribution of the Critically Endangered Himalayan Quail Ophrysia superciliosa using proxy species and species distribution modelling. Bird Conservation International 2015, 25(4), 466-478.
- De Lima RF, Sampaio H, Dunn JC, Cabinda G, Fonseca R, Oquiongo G, Oquiongo J, Samba S, Santana A, Soares E, Viegas L, Ward-Francis A, Costa LT, Palmeirim JM, Buchanan GM. Distribution and habitat associations of the critically endangered bird species of São Tomé Island (Gulf of Guinea). Bird Conservation International 2017, 27(4), 455-469.
- Fazaa NA, Dunn JC, Whittingham MJ. Distributions and Community Composition of Birds in Iraq’ s Central Marsh. International Journal of Biodiversity 2017, 2017, 4198690.
- Dunn J, Andrews C, Nettle D, Bateson M. Early-life begging effort reduces adult body mass but strengthens behavioural defence of the rate of energy intake in European starlings. Royal Society Open Science 2018, 5, 171918.