Emeritus Professor Nicol Ferrier
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 1390
- Address: Room 208, Wolfson Research Centre,
Campus for Ageing and Vitality,
Newcastle upon Tyne,
Nicol Ferrier is Emeritus Professor of Psychiatry at Newcastle University. His research interests are in psychopharmacology and the neurobiology and treatment of severe affective disorders. He has published over 250 papers on these topics.
Professor Ferrier was the pharmacological lead on the 2004 NICE Guidelines for Unipolar Depression and was Chairman of the 2006 NICE Bipolar Disorder Guideline. He has served on the MRC Clinical Fellowship and Wellcome Trust Neuroscience and Mental Health Grant Committees and is Past-President of the British Association for Psychopharmacology. He was Lead of the North East Hub of the Mental Health Research Network from 2005 to 2014. He is Chair of the Royal College of Psychiatrists ECT and Related Treatments Committee.
Area of expertise: Psychopharmacology; Neurobiology; Affective Disorders
- Douglas KM, Gallagher P, Robinson LJ, Carter JD, McIntosh VVW, Frampton CMA, Watson S, Young AH, Ferrier IN, Porter RJ. Prevalence of cognitive impairment in major depression and bipolar disorder. Bipolar Disorders 2018, epub ahead of print.
- O'Brien JT, Gallagher P, Stow D, Hammerla N, Ploetz T, Firbank M, Ladha C, Ladha K, Jackson D, McNaney R, Ferrier IN, Olivier P. A study of wrist-worn activity measurement as a potential real-world biomarker for late-life depression. Psychological Medicine 2017, 47(1), 93-102.
- Zimmerer VC, Watson S, Turkington D, Ferrier IN, Hinzen W. Deictic and Propositional Meaning-New Perspectives on Language in schizophrenia. Frontiers in Psychiatry 2017, 8, 17.
- Sharma AN, Barron E, Le Couteur J, Close A, Rushton S, Grunze H, Kelly T, Ferrier N, Le Couteur AS. Facial emotion labeling in unaffected offspring of adults with Bipolar I Disorder. Journal of Affective Disorders 2017, 208, 198-204.
- Sharma A, Camilleri N, Grunze H, Barron E, Le Couteur J, Close A, Rushton S, Kelly T, Ferrier I, Le Couteur A. Neuropsychological study of IQ scores in offspring of parents with Bipolar I Disorder. Cognitive Neuropsychology 2017, 22(1), 17-27.
- Hodgetts S, Gallagher P, Stow D, Ferrier IN, O'Brien JT. The impact and measurement of social dysfunction in late-life depression: an evaluation of current methods with a focus on wearable technology. International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry 2017, 32(3), 247-255.
- O'Brien J, Gallagher P, Stow D, Hammerla N, Ploetz T, Firbank M, Ladha C, Ladha K, Jackson D, McNaney R, Ferrier N, Olivier P. A study of wrist-worn activity measurement as a potential real-world biomarker for late life depression. In: 18th Annual Conference of the International Society for Bipolar Disorders & 8th Biennial Conference of the International Society for Affective Disorders. 2016, Amsterdam, Netherlands: Wiley-Blackwell.
- McAllister-Williams RH, Anderson IM, Finkelmeyer A, Gallagher P, Grunze HCR, Haddad PM, Hughes T, Lloyd AJ, Mamasoula C, McColl E, Pearce S, Siddiqi N, Sinha BNP, Steen N, Wainwright J, Winter FH, Ferrier IN, Watson S, ADD Study Team. Antidepressant augmentation with metyrapone for treatment-resistant depression (the ADD study): a double-blind, randomised, placebo-controlled trial. The Lancet Psychiatry 2016, 3(2), 117-127.
- Redhead A, Jordan G, Ferrier IN, Meyer TD. Automatic processing of emotional stimuli in euthymic patients with bipolar disorder. Journal of Affective Disorders 2016, 203, 339-346.
- Yalin N, Soeiro-de-Souza MG, Lloyd A, King S, Chaim K, Ferrier N, Hidiroglu C, Lafer B, Machado-Vieira R, Macritchie K, Moreno R, Nery F, Otaduy MC, Ozerdem A, Saricicek A, Kempton M, Young A. Independent confirmation of regional white matter volume reduction in an international sample of euthymic bipolar disorder I patients. In: 18th Annual Conference of the International Society for Bipolar Disorders & 8th Biennial Conference of the International Society for Affective Disorders. 2016, Amsterdam, The Netherlands: Wiley-Blackwell Publishing, Inc.
- Moss RA, Finkelmeyer A, Robinson LJ, Thompson JM, Watson S, Ferrier IN, Gallagher P. The impact of target frequency on intra-individual variability in euthymic bipolar disorder: A comparison of two sustained attention tasks. Frontiers in Psychiatry 2016, 7, 106.
- Gallagher P, Malik N, Newham J, Young AH, Ferrier IN, Mackin P. Antiglucocorticoid treatments for mood disorders (Withdrawn Paper. 2015, Art. no. CD005168). Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2015, (6).
- Maier R, Moser G, Chen G-B, Ripke S, Cross-Disorder Working Group of the Psychiatric Genomics Consortium, Coryell W, Potash JB, Scheftner WA, Shi J, Weissman MM, Hultman CM, Landen M, Levinson DF, Kendler KS, Smoller JW, Wray NR, Lee SH, Nicol Ferrier I, Parr JR, Young AH. Joint analysis of psychiatric disorders increases accuracy of risk prediction for schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, and major depressive disorder. American Journal of Human Genetics 2015, 96(2), 283-294.
- Gallagher P, Nilsson J, Finkelmeyer AE, Goshawk M, Macritchie KA, Lloyd AJ, Thompson JM, Porter RJ, Young AH, Ferrier IN, McAllister-Williams RH, Watson S. Neurocognitive intra-individual variability in mood disorders: effects on attentional response time distributions. Psychological Medicine 2015, 45(14), 2985-2997.
- Crow TJ, Cross AJ, Cooper SJ, Deakin JFW, Ferrier IN, Johnson JA, Joseph MH, Owen F, Poulter M, Lofthouse R, Corsellis JAN, Chambers DR, Blessed G, Perry EK, Perry RH, Tomlinson BE. Neurotransmitter receptors and monoamine metabolites in the brains of patients with Alzheimer-type dementia and depression, and suicides. Neuropharmacology 1984, 23(12, part 2), 1561-1569.