A short intensive English language course lasting for 10 or 6 weeks (depending on your language level)
Why take the Pre-sessional English course?
- Improving your degree outcome - Students who study Pre-Sessional English are better prepared for academic life and perform better on their degree programme
- Excellent pass rate - 99% of students who studied Pre-Sessional in 2017 progressed to their degree programme in September
- Helps you adjust to UK life - Before your start your degree in September you will already have opened a UK bank account, know your way around the University campus and city and have better confidence in your approach to UK University teaching and culture
- One UK Visa - If English language is the only outstanding condition of your University offer your UK visa application could include both the Pre-Sessional English course and University degree
- Successful completion rather than the University direct English language scores – If you successfully complete (i.e. pass) Pre-Sessional, you are guaranteed a place on your degree (assuming that all other conditions outlined in your University offer letter are provided)
- Successful completion of Pre-Sessional will mean that you do not need to retake an IELTS test
You'll be in class for 20 hours a week and we have a maximum of 18 students per class.
What does ‘successful completion of the Pre-Sessional English programme’ mean?
- Minimum of 90% Attendance in class
- Submission and successful completion of the Written Project and Oral Presentation to a satisfactory standard (a mark of at least 55)**
- Attendance at all four components of the final progress test*
*If one of your IELTS subskills is less 5.5 when you start Pre-Sessional English ALL your subskills must be at 55 or above on the exit Pre-Sessional progress tests to include reading and listening. This is a UK Visas and Immigration requirement. **An INTO score of 55 is broadly comparable to IELTS 5.5
This course is brought to you by INTO Newcastle University. We're in partnership with INTO to provide diverse study options for international students. Read more about our partnership.
Choosing this course means that you'll get:
- a quality-assured university course
- full Newcastle University status
- a campus-based course with access to university facilities
- a very supportive study environment
Our purpose built INTO Newcastle centre will provide you with everything you need to study with us. Find out more about our facilities.
On achieving the English language score you need, and satisfying any other conditions of your offer, you can progress on to your chosen course.
Degrees you can progress to
The courses available at Newcastle University are available here:
A Further English language support during your Newcastle University degree programme
The University provides FREE English language classes of up to eight hours per week (depending on your English language level). They are free and available to any student with writing and listening skills less than IELTS 7.0 or equivalent.
These In-Sessional English classes are designed to bridge the gap between general English and the academic English needed to succeed in UK university life.
In addition to classes, In-Sessional support also includes lecture style and workshop formats covering reading, writing, listening and speaking. Also offered are one-to-one tutorials, where you can meet an English language teacher to discuss the problems that you may encounter with your academic English.
For more information see our In-Sessional English page.
Degrees not available for progressionDegrees not available for progression
We have degrees that do not accept students who need to complete the Pre-sessional English course.
- all MPhil/PhD/EdD degrees in the School of Education, Communication and Language Sciences
- all MPhil/PhD degrees in Translating and Interpreting
- all MRes courses in the Faculty of Medical Sciences
- Doctorate in Applied Educational Psychology
- IPhD Education and Communication/Educational and Applied Linguistics
- PhD Speech Sciences
- MA Advanced International Business Management /Advanced Business Management and Marketing/Operations Management (Dual award Groningen)
- MA British History/European History/History of the Americas
- MA Film
- MA Translating and Interpreting – Chinese strand
- MA Professional Translating for European Languages
- MSc Evidence Based Practice in Communication Disorders
- MSc Language Pathology
Fees & Funding
Find out about the fee you'll pay for this course and other costs.
Thursday 27 June 2019 to Friday 6 September 2018
Fee to be confirmed
Thursday 25 July 2018 to Friday 6 September 2018
Fee to be confirmed
The above tuition fees do not include the following.
The cost of your textbooks and other learning materials are £85 (10 weeks) and £55 (6 weeks).
Accommodation is not included in the fees. View your INTO Newcastle accommodation options.
How to pay
You can pay by bank transfer or by credit card. Contact INTO Newcastle for bank transfer details.
To study on this course you need to have an offer of a place on a degree at Newcastle.
Course entry requirements
If you haven't already applied for a degree at Newcastle, you need to check the entry requirements of the course you're interested in.
If you are not able to obtain the direct English language requirements for Newcastle University, Pre-Sessional English has lower English entry requirements, but still leads directly on to your Newcastle University degree in September.
Each course has its own entry requirements that you must meet. You can search for the course you are interested in to find out specific requirements:
How to Apply
You need an offer to study a degree at Newcastle before you can apply for this course.
Not got an offer yet?
This means that you need to apply for the degree that you want to study. General information about the undergraduate and postgraduate application processes are available online.
Got an offer?
As an international student, if you have received an offer from us you will have a condition to prove your English language skills. This means that you need to meet the IELTS score, or equivalent, as specified on the course information. If you don't meet the English language requirement, you can choose to apply for this pre-sessional course.
You can apply online through the INTO Newcastle application form. You will need to create a free account to apply for your chosen course. You can apply for accommodation at the same time as the course.
If you want to find out more, you can contact us in a variety of ways.