Newcastle University London

Visa and Immigration

Visa and Immigration

Find out if you need a visa or entry clearance to study in the UK alongside information on what to do when you arrive.

Visa and Immigration Information

Contact Us

The Newcastle University Visa & Immigration Information page has useful information on the following topics:

  • Visa requirements
  • Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies letter (CAS)
  • Arriving in the UK and Biometric Residence Permit (BRP)
  • Tier 4 Pilot

If you have applied to Newcastle University London and cannot find the information you are looking for on the above page, please contact the dedicated visa team at the London campus:


Visit our Statement of Service page for more information about the services provided by the Newcastle University and Newcastle University London visa teams.

Tier 4 Pilot

We are pleased to be one of a small number of UK universities selected to be part of this Tier 4 visa pilot.


The pilot is open to one year master's students wanting to start their studies in 2019. Applying for a Tier 4 visa through this pilot means that you:

  • experience a streamlined Tier 4 visa application process
  • do not need to submit academic qualifications or evidence of funds
  • get six months leave at the end of your course as an opportunity to look for work in the UK
  • can include your dependants in your visa application. If you apply together, they will not have to provide evidence of their maintenance
  • will be supported by our Visa Support Team through the new process

You will still need to meet the Tier 4 Immigration Rules to get your visa. You can find out more in Annex 6 of the Tier 4 policy guidance on the UK Government website.

Important - Closure of the Tier 4 pilot scheme

The Tier 4 pilot scheme will be closed to new visa applicants from the 5 October 2020. Any students who apply for a Tier 4 visa on or after this date will not benefit from the Tier 4 pilot.

This means you have to submit the supporting documents with your visa application, where applicable. You will also be granted an additional 4 months (not 6 months) of visa at the end of your programme of study. 

A new graduate route visa will be available for students who complete an eligible programme of study from summer 2021. This is a 2 year visa which will allow you to work in the UK after your studies. We will share more details on our webpages when this becomes available. 

Eligibility for the pilot

You are eligible for the pilot scheme if:

  • you have an unconditional offer to study a one-year master's degree at Newcastle University. This includes combined pre-sessional and Master's courses
  • the Master's course lasts no more than 12 months
  • you have chosen a Tier 4 Pilot eligible programmes 2020/21 (PDF:477KB)
  • your course starts in the 2020/2021 academic year
  • you are applying for entry clearance overseas
  • you are applying from within the UK after completing an undergraduate or postgraduate degree

You are not eligible if you are applying for a one-year visa extension to complete an undergraduate exit master's qualification.

Pre-sessional courses

Combined pre-sessional and master's courses are part of this pilot. There are two ways you can apply for your Tier 4 visa:

Pre-sessional course as a condition

If studying your master's degree is conditional on completing a pre-sessional course, you will get an initial visa for the pre-sessional course only. Once you have completed your pre-sessional course, you can use this pilot to apply for your master's course visa.

Using a combined Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies (CAS)

You can use this pilot if you have a combined CAS for the eligible pre-sessional and master's course.

Visa Advice: Virtual Drop-in Service

Students that are studying at Newcastle University London can take advantage of our virtual visa drop-in service.

To request an appointment for our virtual drop-in service, please contact us at Please include your name, student number and details of your query in the email. Appointments normally run on Tuesday and Thursday.

Police Registration

Register with the Police

If you need a visa to come to the UK, you may also need to register with OVRO upon arrival.

You should check your visa vignette inside your passport or the decision letter for your visa application to find out if you need to register with the police. In order to satisfy the seven day legel requirement to register with the police, an appointment must be booked within seven days of arrival in the UK. 
This will make sure the requirement to register with the police has been satisfied, even if the first available appointment is beyond seven days. 

In order to book an appointment, please follow the steps on the OVRO (Overseas Visitors Records Office) to complete your registration.

If you have already registered with the police, you should make sure that you keep your police registration certificate up-to-date at all times.


If you intend to return to the UK for graduation we advise that you apply for a Standard Visitor visa. Further information is available on the Home Office website. Visa letters for congregations in London for you or your family members can by requested by completing the Visa Letter Request Form. If you are a current registered student you can contact the Congregation Team via their dedicated online student enquiry form

EU, Swiss and non-EU EEA students

The UK has left the EU on the 31 January 2020. Following this date, the intention is that there should be a transition period lasting until 31st December 2020, during which EU citizens and their families can remain in the UK on the same basis as they can now.

Thereafter, EU citizens coming to UK will need to apply for immigration permissions under whatever rules are in place at that time. Similar agreements have been negotiated with Norway, Iceland, Lichtenstein and Switzerland regarding the rights of their nationals in the UK.

For further information on what this will mean for students, see UKCISA advice on Brexit.