Professor Ileana Steccolini
Professor of Accounting & Finance and Director of Research
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +44(0)203 752 2231
- Address: Newcastle University London
102 Middlesex Street
London, E1 7EZ
Ileana Steccolini is a Professor of Accounting and Finance, the Director of Research and PhD coordinator at Newcastle University London. She is an Adjunct Professor at RMIT, Melbourne and a Fellow, Queen’s Centre for Not-for-profit Research, Queen’s University, Belfast, UK. Before joining Newcastle University London Campus she was an Associate Professor at Bocconi University, Milan, a visiting professor at Nottingham Business School, Università della Svizzera Italiana, Lugano, the Universitè de Genève and at Fundacao Getulio Vargas, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, as well as a visiting scholar at Edinburgh University, University of Sydney, Macquarie Graduate School of Management.
She is the founder of the Accounting and Accountability Special Interest Group within the International Research Society of Public Management, a member of the Standing Scientific Committee of the European Accounting Association and of the IRSPM board, and a member of the Government Faculty Board of CIPFA.
She is an associate editor of Financial Accountability and Management and of Health Services Management Research, and a member of the editorial board of the Journal of Qualitative Research in Accounting and Management, Accounting, Auditing and Accountability Journal, and Public Administration Review.
She has published her work in a number of accounting and public administration journals, including Accounting, Auditing and Accountability Journal, Critical Perspectives on Accounting, Financial Accountability and Management, Management Accounting Research, Public Administration, Public Administration Review, Public Management Review, International Review of Administrative Studies.
Ileana is an interdisciplinary researcher whose research develops at the interface among public administration, management and accounting studies and focuses on:
- public sector accounting,
- public budgeting
- performance management and accountability,
- reform and change processes,
- governmental financial resilience.
Ileana teaches Research Methods in International Business Management and Understanding Company Accounts.
She has taught at the undergraduate, graduate, PhD and executive levels and her teaching expertise encompasses financial accounting, public sector accounting and budgeting, public sector performance measurement and management, public governance, public management.
- Steccolini I. Accounting and the post-new public management: Re-considering publicness in accounting research. Accounting, Auditing and Accountability Journal 2018, epub ahead of print.
- Belardinelli P, Bellé N, Sicilia M, Steccolini I. Framing Effects under Different Uses of Performance Information: An Experimental Study on Public Managers. Public Administration Review 2018, 78(6), 841-851.
- Barbera C, Jones M, Korac S, Saliterer I, Steccolini I. Governmental financial resilience under austerity in Austria, England and Italy: How do local governments cope with financial shocks?. Public Administration 2017, 95(3), 670-697.
- Ditillo A, Liguori M, Sicilia M, Steccolini I. Control patterns in contracting-out relationships: it matters what you do, not who you are. Public Administration 2015, 93(1), 212-229.
- Barbera C, Guarini E, Steccolini I. Italian municipalities and the fiscal crisis: four strategies for muddling through. Financial Accountability & Management 2016, 32, 335-361.
- Bracci E, Humphrey C, Moll J, Steccolini I. Public sector accounting, accountability and austerity: more than balancing the books?. Accounting, Auditing and Accountability Journal 2015, 28(6), 878-908.
- Arnaboldi M, Lapsley I, Steccolini I. Performance management in the public sector: the ultimate challenge. Financial Accountability and Management 2015, 31(1), 1-22.
- Anessi-Pessina E, Barbera C, Sicilia M, Steccolini I. Public sector budgeting in accounting and public management journals: a European Review. Accounting Auditing and Accountability Journal 2016, 29(3), 491-519.
- Sicilia M, Steccolini I. Public budgeting in search for an identity: state of the art and future challenges. Public Management Review 2017, 19(7), 905-910.
- Steccolini I, Jones M, Saliterer I, ed. Governmental financial resilience: how local governments face global crises and austerity. Emerald Publishing Limited, 2017.
- Jones M, Barbera C, Steccolini I. Governmental Financial Resilience under Austerity; the case of English Local Authorities. London: Chartered Institute of Management Accountants, 2015. CIMA Executive Summary Report v.11 (3).
- Liguori M, Steccolini I. The power of language in legitimating public-sector reforms: when politicians "talk" accounting. The British Accounting Review 2018, 50(2), 161-173.
- Liguori M, Rota S, Steccolini I. Studying administrative reforms through textual analysis: the case of Italian central government accounting. International Review of Administrative Sciences 2018, 84(2), 308-333.
- Hyndman N, Liguori M, Meyer R, Polzer T, Rota S, Seiwald J, Steccolini I. Legitimating change in the public sector: the introduction of (rational?) accounting practices in the United Kingdom, Italy and Austria. Public Management Review 2018, 20(9), 1374-1399.
- Barbera C, Sicilia M, Steccolini I. What Mr Rossi wants in participatory budgeting: two Rs (Responsiveness and Representation) and two I's (Iteration and Inclusiveness). International Journal of Public Administration 2016, 39(13), 1088-1100.
- Grossi G, Steccolini I. Accounting for Public Governance. Journal of Qualitative Research in Accounting and Management 2014, 11(2), 86-91.
- Liguori M, Steccolini I. Accounting, innovation and public sector change: translating reforms into change?. Critical Perspectives on Accounting 2014, 25(4/5), 319-23.
- Giacomini D, Sicilia M, Steccolini I. Contextualizing politicians' uses of accounting information: reassurance and ammunition. Public Money & Management 2016, 36(7), 483-490.
- Fattore G, Iacovone D, Steccolini I. 'Managing successful change in the public sector': a view from the consultants’ world. Public Management Review 2018, 20(4), 587-606.