Dr Rekha Nicholson
Senior Lecturer - International Business
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: +44(0)203 752 2420
- Address: Newcastle University London
102 Middlesex Street
London, E1 7EZ
I have a Bachelor’s degree in Electronics & Telecommunication, a Master’s degree in Software Engineering and a doctorate degree in Economics and Management. My PhD thesis investigated the role of business strategy in firm performance. I have also been involved in several projects as a junior researcher, namely, PRIN 2006, Azioni Italia-Spagna, Programma Vigoni Italia-Germania and DIME – EU project. Whilst, pursuing my Post Doctoral research at Rajiv Gandhi Centre for Innovation and Entrepreneurship at Imperial College, I looked at development of several successful public private partnerships in India. I have also studied successful cross-border acquisitions by several emerging economy companies; and creation of value in project-based businesses in India. Prior to joining Newcastle University London as Senior Lecturer in International Business, I was Senior Lecturer – International Management for two years in Bristol Business School and Lecturer in International Management at University of Bath for five years.
Prior to academia, I was in industry for several years and have worked in both large MNCs as well as startups, including companies like Metaware Spa (Italy), Finmeccanica/Marconi Mobile (Italy) and Siemens (India). Also, I worked as a consultant on projects related to business development in emerging markets and IPR management.
Currently, I am interested in linkages between institutional factors, firm strategy and performance in emerging markets like India, China, Brazil, Russia, South Africa, ASEAN nations, Eastern Europe, Turkey, Latin America, and Africa. I welcome PhD applications in these areas.
My research interests are –
Strategy in emerging economies, emerging-market MNCs, leadership, M&As, management and economics of innovation in developed and developing countries.
Strategy for Managers
Quantitative methods for undergraduate programmes
International Business Strategy
International Business Diplomacy
- Liou R, Rao-Nicholson R. Age Matters: The Contingency Of Economic Distance AND Economic Freedom in South African Firms’ Cross-Border Acquisition Performance. Management International Review 2019. In Press.
- Fan D, Rao-Nicholson R, Su Y. When the tough get going: Performance of R&D in adverse economic conditions. Long Range Planning 2019, Epub ahead of print.
- Rao-Nicholson R, Khan Z, Akhtar P. Nature of technology and location effects on firm performance in the US medical device industry. Economics of Innovation and New Technology 2018, epub ahead of print.
- Rao-Nicholson R, Khan Z, Marinova S. Balancing Social and Political Strategies in Emerging Markets: Evidence from India. Business Ethics: A European Review 2018, Epub ahead of print.
- Rao-Nicholson R, Rodgers P, Khan Z. Bridging the gap between domain of research and locus of impact: An examination of the UK's research excellence framework. Journal of Management Development 2018, 37(4), 341-352.
- Olie R, Rao-Nicholson R. Examining the role of institutions in strategic leadership structures using configurational analysis. In: Academy of Management Annual conference. 2018, Chicago.
- Rao-Nicholson R, Svystunova L. Does Human Rights Protection Matter for Emerging Market Multinationals' Ownership Strategy?. In: Academy of Management Annual conference. 2018, Chicago.
- Liou R, Rao-Nicholson R. Corporate name change: Investigating South African MNCs’ post-acquisition performance. Thunderbird International Business Review 2018. In Press.
- Ayton J, Rao-Nicholson R. Cross-border arbitrage and acquirers’ returns in the Eurozone crisis. Journal of Economics and Business 2018, 95, 87-102.
- Akhtar P, Khan Z, Frynas JG, Tse YK, Rao-Nicholson R. Essential Micro-foundations for Contemporary Business Operations: Top Management Tangible Competencies, Relationship-based Business Networks and Environmental Sustainability. British Journal of Management 2018, 29(1), 43-62.
- Khan Z, Rao-Nicholson R, Tarba S. Global networks as a mode of balance for exploratory innovations in a late liberalizing economy. Journal of World Business 2018, 53(3), 392-402.
- Khan Z, Wood G, Tarba SY, Rao-Nicholson R, He S. Human Resource Management in Chinese Multinationals in the UK: The Interplay of Institutions, Culture and Strategic Choice. Human Resource Management 2018, (ePub ahead of Print).
- Rao-Nicholson R, Cai C. The effects of ownership identity on corporate diversification strategy of Chinese companies in foreign markets. Asia Pacific Journal of Management 2018, Epub ahead of print.
- Liou R, Rao-Nicholson R, Sarpong D. What’s in a name? Cross-national distances and subsidiary’s corporate visual identity change in emerging-market firms’ cross-border acquisitions. International Marketing Review 2018, 35(2), 301-319.
- Khan Z, Rao-Nicholson R, Akhtar P, He S. Cross-border mergers and acquisitions of emerging economies' multinational enterprises - the mediating role of socialization integration mechanisms for successful integration. Human Resource Management Review 2017, Epub ahead of print.
- Bi J, Sarpong D, Botchie D, Rao-Nicholson R. From imitation to innovation: The discursive processes of knowledge creation in the Chinese space industry. Technological Forecasting and Social Change 2017, 120, 261-270.
- Su Y, Fan D, Rao-Nicholson R. Internationalization of Chinese banking and financial institutions: a fuzzy-set analysis of the leader-TMT dynamics. International Journal of Human Resource Management 2017, Epub ahead of print.
- Liou R, Rao-Nicholson R. Out of Africa: The role of institutional distance and host-home colonial tie in South African Firms’ post-acquisition performance in developed economies. International Business Review 2017, 26(6), 1184-1195.
- Rao-Nicholson R, Vorley T, Khan Z. Social innovation in emerging economies: A National Systems of Innovation based approach. Technological Forecasting and Social Change 2017, 121, 228-237.
- Rao-Nicholson R, Khan Z. Standardization versus adaptation of global marketing strategies in emerging market cross-border acquisitions. International Marketing Review 2017, 34(1), 138-158.
- Khan Z, Rao-Nicholson R, Tarba S, Akhtar P, Mohammed A, Vorley T. The role of HR practices in developing employee resilience: a case study from the Pakistani telecommunications sector. International Journal of Human Resource Management 2017, Epub ahead of print.
- Akhtara P, Khan Z, Rao-Nicholson R, Zhang M. Building relationship innovation in global collaborative partnerships: big data analytics and traditional organizational powers. R&D Management 2019, 49(1), 7-20.
- Rao-Nicholson R, Ayton J. Euphoria in financial markets: How Indian companies generate value in their cross-border acquisitions. Research in International Business and Finance 2016, 38, 494–508.
- Rao-Nicholson R, Salaber J. Impact of the financial crisis on cross-border mergers and acquisitions and concentration in the global banking industry. Thunderbird International Business Review 2016, 58(2), 161–173.
- Khan Z, Lew YK, Rao-Nicholson R, He S. Internationalization Process of Chinese SMEs: The Role of Business and Ethnic-Group based Social Networks. International Journal of Multinational Corporation Strategy 2016, 1(3/4), 247-268.
- Rao-Nicholson R, Salaber J, Cao TH. Long-term performance of mergers and acquisitions in ASEAN countries. Research in International Business and Finance 2016, 36, 373–387.
- Rao-Nicholson R, Khan Z, Stokes P. Making great minds think alike: Emerging market multinational firms’ leadership effects on targets’ employee psychological safety after cross-border mergers and acquisitions. International Business Review 2016, 25(1 (part A)), 103–113.
- Rao-Nicholson R, Khan Z, Akhtar P, Tarba S. The contingent role of distributed leadership in the relationship between HR practices and organizational ambidexterity in the cross-border M&As of emerging market multinationals. International Journal of Human Resource Management 2016, (ePub ahead of print).
- Rao-Nicholson R, Khan Z, Akhtar P, Merchant H. The impact of leadership on organizational ambidexterity and employee psychological safety in the global acquisitions of emerging market multinationals. International Journal of Human Resource Management 2016, 27(20), 2461-2487.
- Akhtar P, Tse M, Khan Z, Rao-Nicholson R. Data-driven and adaptive leadership contributing to sustainability: global agri-food supply chains connected with emerging markets. International Journal of Production Economics 2015, 181(Part B), 392–401.
- Rao-Nicholson R, Salaber J. Impact of Financial Crisis on Banking Acquisitions: A Look at Shareholder Wealth. International Journal of the Economic of Business 2015, 22(1), 87-117.
- George G, Rao-Nicholson R, Corbishley C, Bansal R. Institutional entrepreneurship, Governance and poverty: Insights from emergency medical response services in India. Asia Pacific Journal of Management 2015, 32(1), 39-65.
- Rao-Nicholson R, Salaber J. Impact of the Financial Crisis on the Performance of European Acquisitions. In: Temouri,Y; Jones,C, ed. International Business, Institutions and Performance after the Financial Crisis. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan, 2014, pp.73-92.
- Olie R, Rao-Nicholson R. Examining the role of institutions in strategic leadership structures using configurational analysis. In: 78th Annual Meeting of the Academy of Management (AOM 2018). 2018, Chicago, Illinois, USA: Academy of Management.