Copyright and IPR

In general, Newcastle University owns the copyright to any teaching materials you produce in th course of your employment here. Lectures can be recoreded unless you opt out. You can find out more about this from ReCap.

Copyright and IPR: The Basics which gives a good overview.

The UK Copyright Hub has a useful introduction to copyright and some specific guidance on copyright in education.

The Intellectual Property Office issued guidance for chances in the copyright laws in October 2014. An overview document (PDF) and specific guidance for education and teaching document (PDF) can be found on the GOV.UK site.

When do I need permission to use a copyrighted work?

In general, if in doubt about whether you require a license/permission to use a copyrighted work (in the UK copyright always exists, and is an automatic right) you should seek permission from the copyright holder.

Open licensing, such as Creative Commons, can help with identifying copyrighted works which are already openly licensed, with permission granted via the type of license applied, and can also help in managing your own copyright. By applying a license the copyright is retained, and the license states clearly under what circumstances you can use the licensed works. If you wish to use the licensed work in a context not covered by the license, then you may well be granted permission to use the work, but you must seek permission from the copyright holder.

Good practice in attribution

One of the conditions of using materials under 'fair dealing' as well as when using openly licensed works is that you must attribute the copyright holder. Creative Commons has produced some guidance on good practice in attribution.

You can email with any queries you have about copyright in learning and teaching at Newcastle University.