Honorary Clinical Senior Lecturer
- Telephone: 0191 2137321 (NHS secretary)
- Address: Dept of Urology, Level 3 (Ward 1)
Trust e-mail address
Mr Chris Harding is a Consultant Urological Surgeon. He trained at the University of Cambridge, Addenbrookes Hospital Cambridge, Kings College London and Freeman Hospital Newcastle. He has a particular interest in bladder dysfunction, continence, neurourology, urinary tract infections and clinical research. He is an Honorary Clinical Senior Lecturer at Newcastle University and is the departmental lead for urodynamics. He is a member of the Newcastle Urodynamic Course Faculty and urology lead for the Department of Health Modernising Scientific Careers MSc course. He is also Chairman of the executive committee of the British Association of Urological Surgeons Female Neurological and Urodynamic Urology subsection.
Roles and responsibilities
- Consultant Urological Surgeon at Freeman Hospital with sub-specialist practice in Functional and Reconstructive Urology
- Honorary Senior Clinical Lecturerwith research interest in Continence, Urodynamics and recurrent UTI
- NICE specialist advisor on Sacral Nerve Stimulation
- NICE specialist advisor on Prolapse Surgery
- Chairman of BAUS Subsection Executive Committee (Female, Neurological and Urodynamic Urology)
- Chair of Scientific Committee for United Kingdom Continence Society (UKCS) annual meeting 2017.
Areas of expertise
- Recurrent Urinary Infection
- Urodynamic Science
Google scholar: Click here.
Chief Investigator / co-Chief Investigator
- Alternatives to prophylactic antibiotics in the treatment of recurrent Urinary Tract Infection (The ALTAR Study). HTA grant (13/88/21)
- Primary care management of lower urinary tract symptoms in men: Development and validation of a diagnostic and decision-making aid (The PriMUS Study) HTA grant (15/40/05)
TeachingUrodynamics Module Lead for MSc in Physiological Sciences
- Bray A, Harding C, Pickard R, Drinnan M. Individualized volume-corrected maximum flow rate correlates with outcome from bladder outlet surgery in men with lower urinary tract symptoms. International Journal of Urology 2016, 23(7), 587-592.
- Ivaz SL, Veeratterapillay R, Jackson MJ, Harding CK, Dorkin TJ, Andrich DE, Mundy AR. Intermittent self-dilatation for urethral stricture disease in males: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Neurourology and Urodynamics 2016, 35(7), 759-763.
- Morton H, Thorpe A, Pickard R, Harding C. Wet and Waiting: Delays in Treating Men with Post Prostatectomy Incontinence. In: Scientific Programme Annual Meeting of the International Continence Society (ICS). 2016, Tokyo, Japan: Wiley-Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
- Bray A, Harding C, Pickard R, Drinnan M. A Pilot of Home Uroflowmetry in UK Primary Care. In: 45th Annual Meeting of the International Continence Society. 2015, Montreal, Canada: Wiley-Blackwell.
- Veeratterapillay R, Coates J, Leonard A, Pickard R, Drinnan M, Harding C. Detrusor after-contraction on ambulatory urodynamics in symptomatic women. International Journal of Urology 2015, 22(11), 1058-1062.
- Valdevenito JP, Leonard A, Griffiths CJ, Pickard R, Harding C. Differences in urodynamic voiding variables recorded by conventional cystometry and ambulatory monitoring in symptomatic women. International Brazilian Journal of Urology 2014, 40(5), 666-675.
- Veeratterapillay R, Harding C, Teo L, Vasdev N, Abroaf A, Dorkin TJ, Pickard RS, Hasan T, Thorpe AC. Discontinuation rates and inter-injection interval for repeated intravesical botulinum toxin type A injections for detrusor overactivity. International Journal of Urology 2014, 21(2), 175-178.
- Morton HC, Tristram Z, Smith J, Harding CK. Impact of the 'Blood in Pee' Pilot Campaign. In: British Association of Urological Surgeons Annual Meeting. 2014, Liverpool, UK: Wiley-Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
- Bray A, Harding C, Pickard R, Drinnan M. Personalised Uroflowmetry Predicts Outcome From Surgery. In: 44th Annual Meeting of the International Continence Society (ICS). 2014, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil: John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Bray A, Robson W, Griffiths C, Harding C, Pickard R, Drinnan M. No Improvement in Home Flow Rates in a Quarter of Men Undergoing Transurethral Resection of the Prostate (TURP). In: 43rd Annual Meeting of the International Continence Society. 2013, Barcelona, Spain: John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
- Constable L, Cotterill N, Cooper D, Glazener C, Drake MJ, Forrest M, Harding C, Kilonzo M, MacLennan G, McCormack K, McDonald A, Mundy A, Norrie J, Pickard R, Ramsay C, Smith R, Wileman S, Abrams P. Male synthetic sling versus artificial urinary sphincter trial for men with urodynamic stress incontinence after prostate surgery (MASTER): study protocol for a randomised controlled trial. Trials 2018, 19(1), 131.
- Morton H, Harding C. Does prior treatment with intravesical botulinum toxin A affect the outcome of sacral neuromodulation evaluation in patients with refractory detrusor overactivity. In: 45th Annual Meeting of the International Continence Society (ICS). 2015, Montreal, Canada: Wiley-Blackwell.
- Jackson MJ, Veeratterapillay R, Harding CK, Dorkin TJ. Intermittent self-dilatation for urethral stricture disease in males. The Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2014, (12), CD010258.
- Veeratterapillay R, Pickard RS, Harding C. The role of uroflowmetry in the assessment and management of men with lower urinary tract symptoms - revisiting the evidence. Journal of Clinical Urology 2014, 7(3), 154-158.