Dr James Lloyd
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 282 5175
- Address: Nuclear Medicine Department
Royal Victoria Infirmary
I am a registered Clinical Scientist with a long career working in the NHS combining clinical work with clinically relevant academic research in collaboration with clinical colleagues and university researchers. My area of interest is chiefly in nuclear medicine, particularly related to image analysis and application in dementia research. I also have expertise in non-ionising radiation applications in medicine, particularly UV.
For a long time I have combined my scientific interests with art practice and have recently completed a Masters Degree in Fine Art at Newcastle University. I will be undertaking an AHRC funded art practice PhD inspired by avian cognition at the Fine art Department at Newcastle University, starting September 2018.
- BSc Physics, MSc Medial Physics, PhD Medical Physics
- Registered Clinical Scientist
- Fellow of Institute of Physics and Engineering in Medicine
- Cert HE painting
- Master of Fine Art (Distinction, Newcastle University, 2017)
Areas of expertise
- Medical Imaging, particularly analysis and optimisation of scintigraphic methods
- UV radiation
- Art practice; photography, video and sound.
I am involved in research on Nuclear Medicine imaging in dementia diagnosis.
I also have been involved in research in the clinical use of UV radiation for diagnosis and treatment.
Alongside my scientific research I am a practicing artist and I have recently been awarded a grant from the AHRC Northern Bridge Doctoral Training Partnership to pursue an art practice based PhD. This research will investigate the ways in which a multi-media arts practice (incorporating video, sound, photography, and installation) can be critically informed by avian modes of perception. By drawing upon practice-based animal studies, bio-neurology, ecology and philosophy, this research will thus represent the perceptual world of birds in ways that question anthropomorphic perceptual models, narrative experience and understandings of the environment.
I teach on the MSc course in Medical Physics - Imaging with Ionising Radiation Module
I am currently Second supervisor for two PhD projects concerning imaging in dementia
- Lloyd JJ, Petrides G, Donaghy PC, Colloby SJ, Attems J, O'Brien JT, Roberts G, Thomas AJ. A new visual rating scale for Ioflupane imaging in Lewy body disease. NeuroImage: Clinical 2018, 20, 823-829.
- Mak E, Donaghy P, McKiernan E, Firbank M, Lloyd J, Petrides G, Thomas A, O'Brien J. Beta-amyloid deposition maps onto hippocampal and subiculum atrophy in dementia with Lewy bodies. Neurobiology of Aging 2019, 73, 74-81.
- Donaghy PC, Firbank MJ, Thomas AJ, Lloyd J, Petrides G, Barnett N, Olsen K, O'Brien JT. Clinical and imaging correlates of amyloid deposition in dementia with Lewy bodies. Movement Disorders 2018, 33(7), 1130-1138.
- Thomas A, Donaghy P, Roberts G, Colloby SJ, Barnett NA, Petrides G, Lloyd J, Olsen K, Taylor J-P, McKeith I, O'Brien JT. Diagnostic Accuracy of Dopaminergic Imaging in Prodromal Dementia with Lewy Bodies. Psychological Medicine 2018, epub ahead of print.
- Donaghy PC, Taylor JP, O'Brien JT, Barnett N, Olsen K, Colloby SJ, Lloyd J, Petrides G, McKeith IG, Thomas AJ. Neuropsychiatric symptoms and cognitive profile in mild cognitive impairment with Lewy bodies. Psychological Medicine 2018, 48(14), 2384-2390.
- Brass D, Fouweather T, Stocken D, Macdonald C, Wilkinson J, Lloyd JJ, Farr PM, Reynolds NJ, Hampton PJ. An observer blinded randomised controlled pilot trial comparing localised immersion psoralen ultraviolet A (PUVA) with localised narrowband ultraviolet B (NBUVB) for the treatment of palmar hand eczema. British Journal of Dermatology 2017, Accepted article.
- Firbank MJ, Lloyd JJ, Williams ED, Barber R, Colloby SJ, Barnett NA, Olsen K, Davison C, Donaldson C, Herholz K, O'Brien JT. An evidence based algorithm for the utility of FDG-PET for diagnosing Alzheimer’s disease according to presence of medial temporal lobe atrophy. British Journal of Psychiatry 2016, 208(5), 491-496.
- Bamford C, Olsen K, Davison C, Barnett N, Lloyd J, Williams D, Firbank M, Mason H, Donaldson C, O'Brien J. Is there a preference for PET or SPECT brain imaging in diagnosing dementia? The views of people with dementia, carers, and healthy controls. International Psychogeriatrics 2016, 28(1), 123-131.
- Firbank MJ, Lloyd J, O'Brien JT. The relationship between hallucinations and FDG-PET in dementia with Lewy bodies. Brain Imaging and Behavior 2016, 10(3), 636-639.
- Gillen R, Firbank MJ, Lloyd J, O'Brien JT. CT-based attenuation and scatter correction compared with uniform attenuation correction in brain perfusion SPECT imaging for dementia. Physics in Medicine and Biology 2015, 60(17), 6775-6787.
- Latimer J, Lloyd J, Diffey B, Matts P, Birch-Machin MA. Determination of the action spectrum of UVR-induced mitochondrial DNA damage in human skin cells. Journal of Investigative Dermatology 2015, 135, 2512-2518.
- O'Brien JT, Firbank MJ, Davison C, Barnett N, Bamford C, Donaldson C, Olsen K, Herholz K, Williams D, Lloyd J. 18F-FDG PET and Perfusion SPECT in the Diagnosis of Alzheimer and Lewy Body Dementias. Journal of Nuclear Medicine 2014, 55(12), 1959-1965.
- Colloby SJ, Taylor J-P, Davison CM, Lloyd JJ, Firbank MJ, McKeith IG, O'Brien JT. Multivariate spatial covariance analysis of 99mTc-exametazime SPECT images in dementia with Lewy bodies and Alzheimer’s disease: utility in differential diagnosis. Journal of Cerebral Blood Flow & Metabolism 2013, 33(4), 612-618.
- Weatherhead S, Farr P, Swan D, Jamieson D, Hallinan J, Lloyd J, Wipat A, Reynolds N. Apoptosis of keratinocytes is a key mechanism in UVB-induced clearance of psoriasis. In: 41st Annual Meeting of the European Society for Dermatological Research. 2011, Barcelona, Spain: Nature Publishing Group.
- Weatherhead SC, Farr PM, Jamieson D, Hallinan JS, Lloyd JL, Wipat A, Reynolds NJ. Keratinocyte Apoptosis in Epidermal Remodeling and Clearance of Psoriasis Induced by UV Radiation. Journal of Investigative Dermatology 2011, 131(9), 1916-1926.
- Weatherhead S, Farr P, Lloyd J, Reynolds NJ. Keratinocyte apoptosis is an important mechanism in the remodelling of psoriatic plaques by ultraviolet B. In: British Journal of Dermatology: 91st Annual Meeting of the British Association of the Dermatologists. 2011, London, UK: Wiley-Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
- Nichols JA, Lloyd J, Birch-Machin MA. The action spectrum of UVR-induced damage within an 11 kb segment of mitochondrial DNA in human skin cells. In: Annual Meeting of the British Society for Investigative Dermatology. 2011, Manchester, UK: Wiley-Blackwell.
- Colloby SJ, Firbank MJ, Pakrasi SE, Lloyd JJ, Driver I, McKeith IG, Williams ED, O'Brien JT. A comparison of Tc-99m-exametazime and I-123-FP-CIT SPECT imaging in the differential diagnosis of Alzheimer's disease and dementia with Lewy bodies. International Psychogeriatrics 2008, 20(6), 1124-1140.
- Flockhart R, Diffey BL, Farr PM, Lloyd JJ, Reynolds NJ. NFAT regulates induction of COX-2 and apoptosis of keratinocytes in response to ultravioloet radiation exposure. FASEB Journal 2008, 22(12), 4218-4227.
- Kirke SM, Lowder S, Lloyd JJ, Diffey BL, Matthews JNS, Farr PM. A randomized comparison of selective broadband UVB and narrowband UVB in the treatment of psoriasis. Journal of Investigative Dermatology 2007, 127(7), 1641-1646.
- Wahie S, Lloyd JJ, Farr PM. Positive photocontact responses are not elicited to sunscreen ingredients exposed to UVA prior to application onto the skin. Contact Dermatitis 2007, 57(4), 273-275.
- Wahie S, Lloyd JJ, Farr PM. Sunscreen ingredients and labelling: A survey of products available in the UK. Clinical and Experimental Dermatology 2007, 32(4), 359-364.
- Haniffa MA, Lloyd JJ, Lawrence CM. The use of a spectrophotometric intracutaneous analysis device in the real-time diagnosis of melanoma in the setting of a melanoma screening clinic. British Journal of Dermatology 2007, 156(6), 1350-1352.
- McKenna KE, Whittaker S, Rhodes LE, Taylor P, Lloyd J, Ibbotson S, Russell-Jones R. Evidence-based practice of photopheresis 1987-2001: A report of a workshop of the British Photodermatology Group and the U.K. Skin Lymphoma Group. British Journal of Dermatology 2006, 154(1), 7-20.
- Peace RA, Lloyd JJ. Practical points for nuclear cardiology. Journal of Nuclear Cardiology 2006, 13(5), 731.
- Colloby SJ, Williams ED, Burn DJ, Lloyd JJ, McKeith IG, O'Brien JT. Progression of dopaminergic degeneration in dementia with Lewy bodies and Parkinson's disease with and without dementia assessed using 123I-FP-CIT SPECT. European Journal of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging 2005, 32(10), 1176-1185.
- Lamb PJ, Griffin SM, Burt AD, Lloyd J, Karat D, Hayes N. Sentinel node biopsy to evaluate the metastatic dissemination of oesophageal adenocarcinoma. In: Annual Meeting of the Association of Surgeons of Great Britain and Ireland. 2005, Dublin: British Journal of Surgery, Wiley-Blackwell.
- Peace RA, Lloyd JJ. The effect of imaging time, radiopharmaceutical, full fat milk and water on interfering extra-cardiac activity in myocardial perfusion single photon emission computed tomography. Nuclear Medicine Communications 2005, 26(1), 17-24.
- Haniffa MA, Lloyd J, Thirlaway C, Lawrence CM. The role of a skin-imaging device as a diagnostic aid in a melanoma screening clinic. In: British Journal of Dermatology: 85th Annual Meeting of the British Association of Dermatologists. 2005, Glasgow, UK: Wiley-Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
- Ibbotson SH, Bilsland D, Cox NH, Dawe RS, Diffey B, Edwards C, Farr PM, Ferguson J, Hart G, Hawk J, Lloyd J, Martin C, Moseley H, McKenna K, Rhodes LE, Taylor DK. An update and guidance on narrowband ultraviolet B phototherapy: a British Photodermatology Group workshop report. British Journal of Dermatology 2004, 151(2), 283-297.
- Hampton PJ, Farr PM, Diffey BL, Lloyd JJ. Implication for photosensitive patients of ultraviolet A exposure in vehicles. British Journal of Dermatology 2004, 151(4), 873-876.
- Das S, Lloyd JJ, Walshaw D, Farr PM. Provocation testing in polymorphic light eruption using fluorescent ultraviolet (UV) A and UVB lamps. British Journal of Dermatology 2004, 151(5), 1066-1070.
- Lamb PJ, Dresner SM, Lloyd J, O'Driscoll K, Burt AD, Karat D, Hayes N, Griffin SM. The sentinel node concept in the metastatic dissemination of oesophageal adenocarcinoma. British Journal of Surgery 2004, 92(1), 60-67.
- Lloyd JJ. Variation in calibration of hand-held ultraviolet (UV) meters for psoralen plus UVA and narrow-band UVB phototherapy. British Journal of Dermatology 2004, 150(6), 1162-1166.
- Das S, Lloyd JJ, Farr PM. Measurement of the minimal phototoxic dose is important for optimal psoralen plus ultraviolet A treatment of psoriasis. In: British Journal of Dermatology: 83rd Annual Meeting of the British Association of Dermatologists. 2003, Brighton, UK: Wiley-Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
- Lloyd JJ. Uncertainty in calibration of ultraviolet radiometers. In: British Journal of Dermatology: Annual meeting of the British Society for Investigative Dermatology. 2003, Southampton, UK: Wiley-Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
- Varma AR, Adams W, Lloyd JJ, Carson KJ, Snowden JS, Testa HJ, Jackson A, Neary D. Diagnostic patterns of regional atrophy on MRI and regional cerebral blood flow change on SPECT in young onset patients with Alzheimer's disease, frontotemporal dementia and vascular dementia. Acta Neurologica Scandinavica 2002, 105(4), 261-269.
- Varma AR, Laitt R, Lloyd JJ, Carson KJ, Snowden JS, Neary D, Jackson A. Diagnostic value of high signal abnormalities on T2 weighted MRI in the differentiation of Alzheimer's, frontotemporal and vascular dementias. Acta Neurologica Scandinavica 2002, 105(5), 355-364.
- Taylor DK, Anstey AV, Coleman AJ, Diffey BL, Farr PM, Ferguson J, Ibbotson S, Langmack K, Lloyd JJ, McCann P, Martin CJ, Menage HD, Moseley H, Murphy G, Pye SD, Rhodes LE, Rogers S. Guidelines for dosimetry and calibration in ultraviolet radiation therapy: a report of a British Photodermatology Group workshop. British Journal of Dermatology 2002, 146(5), 755-763.
- Das S, Lloyd JJ, Walshaw D, Diffey BL, Farr PM. Response of psoriasis to sunbed treatment: Comparison of conventional ultraviolet A lamps with new higher ultraviolet B-emitting lamps. British Journal of Dermatology 2002, 147(5), 966-972.
- Das S, Lloyd JJ, Farr PM. Similar dose-response and persistence of erythema with broad-band and narrow-band ultraviolet B lamps. Journal of Investigative Dermatology 2001, 117(5), 1318-1321.
- A. R. Varma,J. S. Snowden,J. J. Lloyd,P. R. Talbot,D. M. Mann,D. Neary. Evaluation of the NINCDS-ADRDA criteria in the differentiation of Alzheimer's disease and frontotemporal dementia. Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery & Psychiatry 1999, 66(2), 184-8.
- P. R. Talbot,J. J. Lloyd,J. S. Snowden,D. Neary,H. J. Testa. A clinical role for 99mTc-HMPAO SPECT in the investigation of dementia?. Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery & Psychiatry 1998, 64(3), 306-13.
- J. J. Lloyd,P. R. Talbot,R. S. Lawson. Quantifying the value of diagnostic tests. Nuclear Medicine Communications 1998, 19(10), 999-1004.
- A. R. Varma,P. R. Talbot,J. S. Snowden,J. J. Lloyd,H. J. Testa,D. Neary. A 99mTc-HMPAO single-photon emission computed tomography study of Lewy body disease. Journal of Neurology 1997, 244(6), 349-59.
- M. R. Rose,M. C. Prescott,J. J. Lloyd,P. J. Mountford. Radioactivity in breast milk following the administration of 99mTc MAA from different manufacturers, with and without prior administration of Technegas [letter]. European Journal of Nuclear Medicine 1997, 24(1), 89-90.
- J J Lloyd,C J Taylor,R S Lawson,R A Shields. Comparison of local and global optimisation techniques for diffusion battery data analysis. Journal of Aerosol Science 1996, 28(5), 821-831.
- J. J. Lloyd,R. S. Lawson,R. A. Shields. High-resolution electron microscopy of technegas and pertechnegas [letter; comment]. Nuclear Medicine Communications 1996, 17(9), 822-3.
- J J Lloyd,C J Taylor,R S Lawson,R A Shields. The use of the L-curve method in the analysis of diffusion battery data. Journal of Aerosol Science 1996, 28(7), 1251-1264.
- P. R. Talbot,P. J. Goulding,J. J. Lloyd,J. S. Snowden,D. Neary,H. J. Testa. Inter-relation between "classic" motor neuron disease and frontotemporal dementia: neuropsychological and single photon emission computed tomography study. Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery & Psychiatry 1995, 58(5), 541-7.
- J. J. Lloyd,R. A. Shields,C. J. Taylor,R. S. Lawson,J. M. James,H. J. Testra. Technegas and Pertechnegas particle size distribution. European Journal of Nuclear Medicine 1995, 22(5), 473-6.
- J. J. Lloyd,C. J. Taylor,J. M. James,R. S. Lawson,R. A. Shields,H. J. Testa. Texture analysis of technegas lung ventilation images. Medical & Biological Engineering & Computing 1995, 33(1), 52-7.
- P. R. Talbot,J. S. Snowden,J. J. Lloyd,D. Neary,H. J. Testa. The contribution of single photon emission tomography to the clinical differentiation of degenerative cortical brain disorders. Journal of Neurology 1995, 242(9), 579-86.
- P. R. Talbot,J. J. Lloyd,J. S. Snowden,D. Neary,H. J. Testa. Choice of reference region in the quantification of single-photon emission tomography in primary degenerative dementia. European Journal of Nuclear Medicine 1994, 21(6), 503-8.
- R. J. Gray,K. Horner,H. J. Testa,J. J. Lloyd,P. Sloan. Condylar hyperplasia: correlation of histological and scintigraphic features. Dento-Maxillo-Facial Radiology 1994, 23(2), 103-7.
- J. J. Lloyd,P. Anderson,J. M. James,R. A. Shields,M. C. Prescott. Contamination levels and doses to staff arising from the use of Technegas. Nuclear Medicine Communications 1994, 15(6), 435-40.
- J. J. Lloyd,J. M. James,R. A. Shields,H. J. Testa. The influence of inhalation technique on Technegas particle deposition and image appearance in normal volunteers. European Journal of Nuclear Medicine 1994, 21(5), 394-8.
- J. M. James,J. J. Lloyd,B. C. Leahy,S. Church,C. C. Hardy,R. A. Shields,M. C. Prescott,H. J. Testa. 99Tcm-Technegas and krypton-81m ventilation scintigraphy: a comparison in known respiratory disease. British Journal of Radiology 1992, 65(780), 1075-82.
- J. M. James,J. J. Lloyd,B. C. Leahy,R. A. Shields,M. C. Prescott,H. J. Testa. The incidence and severity of hypoxia associated with 99Tcm Technegas ventilation scintigraphy and 99Tcm MAA perfusion scintigraphy. British Journal of Radiology 1992, 65(773), 403-8.
- J. M. James,K. J. Herman,J. J. Lloyd,R. A. Shields,H. J. Testa,S. Church,T. B. Stretton. Evaluation of 99Tcm Technegas ventilation scintigraphy in the diagnosis of pulmonary embolism. British Journal of Radiology 1991, 64(764), 711-9.
- J.J. Lloyd,J.A. Evans. A calibration survey of Physiotherapy ultrasound machines in North Wales. Physiotherapy 1988, 74(2), 56-61.