Dr Jolanta Weaver
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 445 2181
- Fax: +44 (0) 191 445 6186
Institute of Cellular Medicine
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Queen Elizabeth Hospital,
Sheriff Hill, Gateshead,
Newcastle upon Tyne
My interests relate to regenerative medicine, endothelial progenitor cells, their function in relation to modifiable risk factors for cardiovascular disease in diabetes and endocrine disorders. The research carried out within my Endothelial Progenitor Cell Group explores the mechanism involved in stem cells therapies with an aim to shorten the time from bench to patient. Whilst leading on modulation of vascular repair in Diabetes and Endocrinology in Newcastle University I have provided training for 10 PhD/MD/Msc students and colaborated across the continents. Endothelial Progenitor Cell Group is carying out cardiovascular investigations between of Institute of Cellular Medicine, North East Stem Cells Institute and Clinical Research Facility in Royal Victoria Infirmary in Newcastle applying both preclinical and clinical approach.
In 2010 I have been appointed Visiting Professor in King Abdul Aziz University in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia.
My clinical training commenced in the Royal London Hospital Medical college, where subsequently I have completed research leading to award of PhD at London University on the subject of "Central and peripheral neuroendocrine function in obesity and molecular approach to insulin resistance " I then continued my specialist training at The Royal London Hospital and later at Royal Victoria Infirmary and Freeman Road Hospital, Newcastle before being appointed to Senior Lecturer in Diabetes Medicine.
PhD FRCP CTHLE
British Thyroid Foundation
American Heart Association
Society for Endocrinology
British Medical Association
Association of Physician, Northern Region , UK
English, Polish, Russian, German
Windsurfing, Skiing down hill and x country, running Half and Full Marathons
Adult Stem Cells
Endothelial progenitor cells
Glucocorticoid receptor polymorphism
Health Status in Subclinical hypothyroidism
Radioiodine therapy in Thyroid disease
Reduction of cardiovascular risk factors in Diabetes and Thyroid Disease
Endothelial progenitor cells in type 1 Diabetes Mellitus and Subclinical hypothyroidism
Endothelial progenitor cells biology
Patients reported outcomes in thyroid disease
Effect of stress on glycaemic control in Diabetes
Glucocorticoids and metabolic syndrome
Stem cell therapies
PI on many national and international studies
Editor of CME bulletin in Diabetes and Endocrinology
Associate Editor (Europe)Journal of Vascular Health and Risk Management
Chair Of Specialist Training Committee ( Diabetes, Endocrinology and General Internal Medicine)
Chair Of Northern Region Diabetes Service Advisory Group
Chair of Northern Region Diabetes Audit Group
Chair of First Neuroendocrine Conference, Newcastle
Invited Lecturer at Conference on Diabetes Frontiers, Prague
Invited Lecturer, Hypertensive Society
Invited Lecturer, General Practitioners forum
Lecturer on Diabetes Warwick Course
Lecturer Northern Region Continuing Medical Education meetings in Diabetes and Endocrinology
1. Endothelial progenitor cells and Diabetes.
Diabetes Charity, Gateshead, UK.
2. FISH (Fatique in Subclinical Hypothyroidism) Investigating the mechanisms of fatigue in a common thyroid condition.
BUPA Charitable Foundation, UK.
3. Studies on endothelial progenitor cells in Diabetes Mellitus
Research and Development, NHS, UK.
4.Whickham thyroid study 30 years follow up of cardiovascular risk factors(longest epidemilogical follow up of thyroid population study)
British Thyroid Foundation, UK.
5. Eliminating periodontal infection in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus: impact on glycemic control, inflammation and quality of life.
Dunhill Medical Research Trust, UK.
6. Endothelial progenitor cells in thyroid disease
Research and Development, NHS and Charity, UK.
7. MITRE study:Minimally-Invasive Technology Role and Evaluation of monitoring in Diabetes Mellitus.
MRC/NHS Health Technology Assessment Commissioning Board Department of Health.
and many others
Lead for Clinical Skills Course. Gateshead
Lead for Students selected options Gateshead
Lead for CIDR (Chronic Illness, Disability and Rehabilitation) Newcastle and Gateshead
Teacher of Final Year students
PACES examiner since 2005
PACES organiser 2006
Chair of Specialist Training Committee in Diabetes and Endocrinology
Specialty Educational Supervisor
- Bakhashab S, Ahmed F, Schulten H-J, Ahmed FW, Glanville M, Al-Qahtani MH, Weaver JU. Proangiogenic effect of metformin in endothelial cells is via upregulation of VEGFR1/2 and their signaling under hyperglycemia-hypoxia. International Journal of Molecular Sciences 2018, 19(1), 293.
- Colman AW, Sellick JFK, Weaver JU. Use of Quick Response (QR) coded bracelets and cards for the improvement of cortisol deficiency/Addison's disease management: an audit of quality of care of the management of steroid deficiency in acute illness. BMJ Innovations 2018, ePub ahead of print.
- Ahmed FW, Rider R, Glanville M, Narayanan K, Razvi S, Weaver JU. Metformin improves circulating endothelial cells and endothelial progenitor cells in type 1 diabetes: MERIT study. Cardiovascular Diabetology 2016, 15, 116.
- Bakhashab S, Ahmed FW, Schulten HJ, Bashir A, Karim S, Al-Malki AL, Gari MA, Abuzenadah AM, Chaudhary AG, Alqahtani MH, Lary S, Ahmed F, Weaver JU. Metformin improves the angiogenic potential of human CD34+cells co-incident with downregulating CXCL10 and TIMP1 gene expression and increasing VEGFA under hyperglycemia and hypoxia within a therapeutic window for myocardial infarction. Cardiovascular Diabetology 2016, 15, 27.
- Schulten HJ, Hussein D, Al-Adwani F, Karim S, Al-Maghrabi J, Al-Sharif M, Jamal A, Bakhashab S, Weaver J, Al-Ghamdi F, Baeesa SS, Bangash M, Chaudhary A, Al-Qahtani M. Microarray expression profiling identifies genes, including cytokines, and biofunctions, as diapedesis, associated with a brain metastasis from a papillary thyroid carcinoma. American Journal of Cancer Research 2016, 6(10), 2140-2161.
- Zhyzhneuskaya S, Addison C, Tsatlidis V, Weaver JU, Razvi S. The Natural History of Subclinical Hyperthyroidism in Graves' Disease: The Rule of Thirds. Thyroid 2016, 26(6), 765-769.
- West DJ, Stevenson EJ, Campbell MD, Walker M, Shaw JA, Ahmed FW, Wijaya S, Weaver J. Inflammation and the acute endothelial progenitor cell response to submaximal running exercise in males with and without Type 1 diabetes. In: Diabetes UK Professional Conference 2015. 2015, London, UK: Wiley-Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
- Madathil A, Hollingsworth KG, Blamire AM, Razvi S, Newton JL, Taylor R, Weaver JU. Levothyroxine Improves Abnormal Cardiac Bioenergetics in Subclinical Hypothyroidism: A Cardiac Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopic Study. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism 2015, 100(4), E607-E610.
- Mitchell AL, Bøe Wolff A, MacArthur K, Weaver JU, Vaidya B, Bensing S, Erichsen MM, Darlay R, Husebye ES, Cordell HJ, Pearce SHS. Linkage Analysis in Autoimmune Addison’s Disease: NFATC1 as a Potential Novel Susceptibility Locus. PLoS ONE 2015, 10(6), e0123550.
- West DJ, Campbell MD, Gonzalez JT, Walker M, Stevenson EJ, Ahmed FW, Wijaya S, Shaw JA, Weaver JU. The inflammation, vascular repair and injury responses to exercise in fit males with and without Type 1 diabetes: an observational study. Cardiovascular Diabetology 2015, 14, 71.
- Ahmed FW, Weaver J. Metformin improves endothelial progenitor cell number in Type 1 diabetes: MERIT study preliminary report. In: Diabetes UK Professional Conference 2014. 2014, Liverpool, UK: Wiley-Blackwell.
- Bakhashab S, Lary S, Ahmed F, Schulten HJ, Bashir A, Ahmed FW, Al-Malki AL, Jamal HS, Gari MA, Weaver JU. Reference Genes for Expression Studies in Hypoxia and Hyperglycemia Models in Human Umbilical Vein Endothelial Cells. G3: Genes Genomes Genetics 2014, 4(11), 2159-2165.
- Hoffmann J, Fiser K, Weaver J, Dimmick I, Loeher M, Pircher H, Martin-Ruiz C, Veerasamy M, Keavney B, von Zglinicki T, Spyridopoulos I. High-Throughput 13-Parameter Immunophenotyping Identifies Shifts in the Circulating T-Cell Compartment Following Reperfusion in Patients with Acute Myocardial Infarction. PLoS one 2012, 7(10), e47155.
- Razvi S, Weaver JU, Butler TJ, Pearce SHS. Levothyroxine Treatment of Subclinical Hypothyroidism, Fatal and Nonfatal Cardiovascular Events, and Mortality. Archives of Internal Medicine 2012, 172(10), 811-817.
- Shakoor SKA, Aldibbiat A, Ingoe LE, Campbell SC, Sibal L, Shaw J, Home PD, Razvi S, Weaver JU. Endothelial Progenitor Cells in Subclinical Hypothyroidism: The Effect of Thyroid Hormone Replacement Therapy. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism 2010, 95(1), 319-322.
- Razvi S, Weaver JU, Vanderpump MP, Pearce SHS. The Incidence of Ischemic Heart Disease and Mortality in People with Subclinical Hypothyroidism: Reanalysis of the Whickham Survey Cohort. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism 2010, 95(4), 1734-1740.
- Sibal L, Aldibbiat A, Agarwal SC, Mitchell G, Oates C, Razvi S, Weaver JU, Shaw JA, Home PD. Circulating endothelial progenitor cells, endothelial function, carotid intima-media thickness and circulating markers of endothelial dysfunction in people with type 1 diabetes without macrovascular disease or microalbuminuria. Diabetologia 2009, 52(8), 1464-1473.
- Cooke D, Hurel SJ, Casbard A, Steed L, Walker S, Meredith S, Nunn AJ, Manca A, Sculpher M, Barnard M, Kerr D, Weaver JU, Ahlquist J, Newman SP. Randomized controlled trial to assess the impact of continuous glucose monitoring on HbA(1c) in insulin-treated diabetes (MITRE Study). Diabetic Medicine 2009, 26(5), 540-547.
- Syed AA, Halpin C, Irving JAE, Unwin NC, White M, Bhopal RS, Redfern CPF, Weaver JU. A common intron 2 polymorphism of the glucocorticoid receptor gene is associated with insulin resistance in men. Clinical Endocrinology 2008, 68(6), 879-884.
- Weaver JU. Classical endocrine diseases causing obesity. In: Korbonits M, ed. Obesity and Metabolism. Basel, Switzerland: Karger, 2008, pp.212-228.
- Syed AA, Redfern CPF, Weaver JU. In vivo and in vitro glucocorticoid sensitivity in obese people with cushingoid appearance. Obesity 2008, 16(10), 2374-2378.
- Fraser H, Preshaw PM, Taylor R, Weaver JU, Wassall RR. Oral Hygiene and Periodontal Health in Type 1 Diabetes Patients. In: IADR 86th General Session. 2008, Toronto: International Association for Dental Research.
- Razvi S, Shakoor A, Vanderpump M, Weaver JU, Pearce SHS. The influence of age on the relationship between subclinical hypothyroidism and ischemic heart disease: A metaanalysis. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism 2008, 93(8), 2998-3007.
- Sibal L, Jones A, Aldibbiat A, Mitchell G, Oates C, Weaver J, Shaw JAM, Home PD. The influence of the presence of retinopathy on the circulating endothelial progenitor cell counts, endothelial function and carotid intima-media thickness in type I diabetes. Diabetologia 2008, 51(Supplement 1), S552 no. 1372.
- Khatami Z, Handley G, Narayanan K, Weaver JU. Applicability of estimated glomerular filtration rate in stratifying chronic kidney disease. Scandinavian Journal of Clinical and Laboratory Investigation 2007, 67(3), 297-305.
- Sibal L, Aldibbiat A, Agarwal SC, Weaver JU, Razvi S, Oates CP, Mitchell G, Shaw JA, Home PD. Endothelial dysfunction and circulating endothelial progenitor cells in young people with type 1 diabetes. Journal of the American College of Cardiology 2007, 49(9), 241A-241A.
- Sibal L, Aldibbiat A, Agarwal SC, Weaver JU, Razvi S, Oates CP, Mitchell G, Shaw JAM, Home PD. Endothelial dysfunction, carotid intima media thickness and circulating endothelial progenitor cells in young people with Type 1 diabetes. Diabetic Medicine 2007, 24, 12-13.
- Newman S, Hurel S, Cooke D, Steed L, Ahlquist J, Weaver J, Kerr D, Barnard M, Casbard A, Meredith S, Nunn A. RCT of continuous glucose monitoring devices on HbA(1C) - The MITRE study. In: 43rd Annual Meeting of the European Association for the Study of Diabetes. 2007, Amsterdam: Diabetologia, Springer.
- Razvi S, Ingoe L, Keeka G, Oates C, McMillan C, Weaver JU. The beneficial effect of L-thyroxine on cardiovascular risk factors, endothelial function, and quality of life in subclinical hypothyroidism: Randomized, crossover trial. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism 2007, 92(5), 1715-1723.
- Cooke D, Steed L, Hurel SJ, Nunn A, Ahlquist J, Weaver J, Kerr D, Barnard M, Newman S. Use and acceptability of two minimally invasive continuous blood glucose monitors. Diabetologia 2007, 50, S418-S419.
- Syed, A.A., Irving, J.A.E., Redfern, C.P.F., Hall, A.G., Unwin, N.C., White, M.J.R., Bhopal, R.S., Weaver, J.U. Association of glucocorticoid receptor polymorphism A3669G in exon 9β with reduced central adiposity in women. Obesity 2006, 14(5), 759-764.
- Khatami Z, Handley G, Brandon H, Weaver JU. Borderline thyroid function tests: so easy to look at, so hard to define. Annals of Clinical Biochemistry 2006, 43(1), 77-79.
- McMillan C, Bradley C, Razvi S, Weaver J. Psychometric evaluation of a new questionnaire measuring treatment satisfaction in hypothyroidism: The ThyTSQ. Value in Health 2006, 9(2), 132-139.
- Weaver JU, Razvi S. Dose of anti-thyroid drugs can effect remission in grave's disease. Endocrine Journal 2005, 52(1), 159-.
- Syed AA, Weaver JU. Glucocorticoid sensitivity: The hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal-tissue axis. Obesity Research 2005, 13(7), 1131-1133.
- Razvi S, Ingoe LE, McMillan CV, Weaver JU. Health status in patients with sub-clinical hypothyroidism. European Journal of Endocrinology 2005, 152(5), 713-717.
- Razvi S, McMillan CV, Weaver JU. Instruments used in measuring symptoms, health status and quality of life in hypothyroidism: A systematic qualitative review. Clinical Endocrinology 2005, 63(6), 617-624.
- Weaver JU. Obesity, cytokines and the search for beauty. Clinical Endocrinology 2005, 63(3), 251-252.
- Walter MA, Christ-Crain M, Muller B, Muller-Brand J, Weaver JU, Razvi S, Bartholomew P. The detrimental effect of anti-thyroid drugs on the outcome of radioiodine therapy is not directly due to decreased radioiodine uptake  (multiple letters). Nuclear Medicine Communications 2005, 26(1), 70-.
- Syed AA, Redfern CP, Weaver JU. Aldosterone revisited. New England Journal of Medicine 2004, 351(20), 2131-2133.
- McMillan CV, Bradley C, Woodcock A, Razvi S, Weaver JU. Design of new questionnaires to measure quality of life and treatment satisfaction in hypothyroidism. Thyroid 2004, 14(11), 916-925.
- Saeed BO, Nixon SJ, White AJ, Summerfield GP, Skillen AW, Weaver JU. Fasting homocysteine levels in adults with type 1 diabetes and retinopathy. Clinica Chimica Acta 2004, 341(1-2), 27-32.
- Syed AA, Weaver JU. Insulin resistance and coronary artery disease: Body mass index may have affected results. Diabetes, Obesity and Metabolism 2004, 6(1), 78.
- Razvi S, Basu A, McIntyre EA, Wahid ST, Bartholomew PH, Weaver JU. Low failure rate of fixed administered activity of 400 MBq 131I with pre-treatment with carbimazole for thyrotoxicosis: The Gateshead protocol. Nuclear Medicine Communications 2004, 25(7), 675-682.
- Razvi S, Basu A, McIntyre EA, Wahid ST, Bartholomew PH, Weaver JU. Low failure rate of fixed dose 400 MBq131I with pre-treatment with Carbimazole for thyrotoxicosis; The Gateshead protocol. Nuclear Medicine Communications 2004, 25(7), 675-682.
- Syed, A.A., Irving, J.A.E., Redfern, C.P.F., Hall, A.G., Unwin, N.C., White, M., Bhopal, R., Alberti, K., Weaver, J.U. Low Prevalence of the N363S Polymorphism of the Glucocorticoid Receptor in South Asians Living in the United Kingdom. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism 2004, 89(1), 232-235.
- Weaver JU. Metabolic syndrome; a new disease. CME Bulletin Endocrinology & Diabetes 2004, 5(1), 25-29.
- Weaver JU. Metabolic Syndrome; new disease. CME bulletin Endocrinology and Diabetes 2004, 5(1), 26-30.
- Weaver JU, Robertson D, Atkin SL, on behalf of The Nateglinide Glycaemic Control Investigators. Nateglinide alone or with metformin safely improves glycaemia to target in patients up to an age of 84. Diabetes Obesity & Metabolism 2004, 6(5), 344-352.
- Razvi S, Weaver JU. Subclinical hypothyroidism and cardiovascular risk. Thyroid 2004, 14(10), 870; author reply 871-872.
- Charbonnel B, Dormandy J, Erdman E, Massi-Benedetti M, Skene A, PROactive study group. The Prospective Pioglitazone Clinical Trial in Macrovascular Events (Proactive). Diabetes Care 2004, 27(7), 1647-1653.
- Appel GB, Radhakrishnan J, Avram MM, DeFronzo RA, Escobar-Jimenez F, Campos MM, Burgess E, Hille DA, Dickson TZ, Shahinfar S, Brenner BM, RENAAL Study Investigators. Analysis of Metabolic Parameters as Predictors of Risk in the RENAAL study. Diabetes Care 2003, 26(5), 1402-1407.
- Herman WH, Shahinfar S, Carides GW, Dasbach EJ, Gerth WC, Alexander CM, Cook JR, Keane WF, Brenner BM, the RENAAL Investigators. Losartan Reduces the Cost Associated with Diabetic End-stage Renal Disease. Diabetes Care 2003, 26(3), 683-687.
- Saeed BO, Smart P, Peeka J, Haandley GH, Weaver JU. Comparison of two direct methods for HDL-chlesterol measurement with an indirect precipitation method in diabetic patients. Diabetes, Nutrition & Metabolism, Clinical and Experimental 2002, 15, 169-172.
- Monson JP, Drake WM, Carroll PV, Weaver JU, Rodriguez-Arnao J, Savage MO. Influence of Growth Hormone on Accretion of Bone Mass. Hormone Research 2002, 58(s1), 52-56.
- Viberti G, Wheeldon NM, MicroAlbuminuria Reduction With VALsartan (MARVAL) Study Investigators. MicroAlbuminuria Reduction with Valsartan in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus. Circulation 2002, 106(6), 672-678.
- Wahid ST, Sultan J, Handley G, Saeed BO, Weaver JU, Robinson ACJ. Serum fructosamine is a marker of 5-year risk of developing diabetes mellitus in patients exhibiting stress hyperglycaemia. Diabetic Medicine 2002, 19(7), 543-548.
- Saeed BO, Beaumont D, Handley GH, Weaver JU. Severe hyponatraemia: investigation and management in a district general hospital. Journal of Clinical Pathology 2002, 55(12), 893-896.
- Weaver JU. Are we in danger from an epidemic of Cushing's syndrome? Nature knows its course. Clinical Endocrinology 2001, 55(6), 719-721.
- Drake WM, Rodriquez-Armao J, Weaver JU, James IT, Coyte D, Spector TD, Besser GM, Monson JP. The influence of gender on the short and long term effects of growth hormone replacement on bone metabolism and bone density in hypopituitary adults: 5 year study. Clinical Endocrinology 2001, 54(4), 525-532.
- Dobson, M.G., Redfern, C.P.F., Unwin, N.C., Weaver, J.U. The N363S polymorphism of the glucocorticoid receptor: Potential contribution to central obesity in men and lack of association with other risk factors for coronary heart disease and diabetes mellitus. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism 2001, 86(5), 2270-2274.
- Taylor R, Davies R, Fox C, Sampson M, Weaver JU, Wood L. Appropriate insulin regimes for type 2 diabetes: A multicenter randomized crossover study. Diabetes Care 2000, 23(11), 1612-1618.
- Taylor R, Davies R, Fox C, Sampson M, Weaver JU, Wood L. Appropriate Insulin Regimes for Type 2 Diabetes: a multicenter randomized crossover study. Diabetes Care 2000, 23(11), 1612-1618.
- Brenner BM, Cooper ME, de Zeeuw D, Grunfeld J-P, Kean WF, Kurokawa K, McGill JB, Mitch WE, Parving HH, Ribeiro AB, Schluchter MD, Snavely D, Zhang Z, Simpson R, Ramjit D, Shahnaz S, Weaver J. The losartan renal protection study - rationale, study design and baseline characteristics of RENAAL (Reduction of Endpoints in NIDDM with the Angiotensin II Antagonist Losartan). Journal of the Renin-Angiotensin-Aldosterone System 2000, 1(4), 328- 335.
- J. U. Weaver,N. F. Taylor,J. P. Monson,P. J. Wood,W. F. Kelly. Sexual dimorphism in 11 beta hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase activity and its relation to fat distribution and insulin sensitivity; a study in hypopituitary subjects. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 1998, 49(1), 13-20.
- S. V. Gelding,N. F. Taylor,P. J. Wood,K. Noonan,J. U. Weaver,D. F. Wood,J. P. Monson. The effect of growth hormone replacement therapy on cortisol-cortisone interconversion in hypopituitary adults: evidence for growth hormone modulation of extrarenal 11 beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase activity. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 1998, 48(2), 153-62.
- A. E. Pontiroli,F. Capra,F. Veglia,M. Ferrari,K. S. Xiang,G. I. Bell,M. G. Baroni,D. J. Galton,J. U. Weaver,G. A. Hitman,P. G. Kopelman,V. Mohan,M. Viswanathan. Genetic contribution of polymorphism of the GLUT1 and GLUT4 genes to the susceptibility to type 2 (non-insulin-dependent) diabetes mellitus in different populations. Acta Diabetol 1996, 33(3), 193-7.
- J. U. Weaver,J. P. Monson,K. Noonan,W. G. John,A. Edwards,K. A. Evans,J. Cunningham. The effect of low dose recombinant human growth hormone replacement on regional fat distribution, insulin sensitivity, and cardiovascular risk factors in hypopituitary adults. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 1995, 80(1), 153-9.
- J. U. Weaver,L. Thaventhiran,K. Noonan,J. M. Burrin,N. F. Taylor,M. R. Norman,J. P. Monson. The effect of growth hormone replacement on cortisol metabolism and glucocorticoid sensitivity in hypopituitary adults. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 1994, 41(5), 639-48.
- J. U. Weaver,P. G. Kopelman,L. McLoughlin,M. L. Forsling,A. Grossman. Hyperactivity of the hypothalamo-pituitary-adrenal axis in obesity: a study of ACTH, AVP, beta-lipotrophin and cortisol responses to insulin-induced hypoglycaemia. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 1993, 39(3), 345-50.
- J. U. Weaver,G. A. Hitman,P. G. Kopelman. An association between a Bc1I restriction fragment length polymorphism of the glucocorticoid receptor locus and hyperinsulinaemia in obese women. J Mol Endocrinol 1992, 9(3), 295-300.
- J. U. Weaver,P. G. Kopelman,G. A. Hitman. Central obesity and hyperinsulinaemia in women are associated with polymorphism in the 5' flanking region of the human insulin gene. Eur J Clin Invest 1992, 22(4), 265-70.
- J. U. Weaver,K. Noonan,P. G. Kopelman. An association between hypothalamic-pituitary dysfunction and peripheral endocrine function in extreme obesity. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 1991, 35(1), 97-102.
- J. U. Weaver,J. M. Holly,P. G. Kopelman,K. Noonan,C. G. Giadom,N. White,S. Virdee,J. A. Wass. Decreased sex hormone binding globulin (SHBG) and insulin-like growth factor binding protein (IGFBP-1) in extreme obesity. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 1990, 33(3), 415-22.
- J. U. Weaver,K. Noonan,P. G. Kopelman,M. Coste. Impaired prolactin secretion and body fat distribution in obesity. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 1990, 32(5), 641-6.