Dr Neil Keegan
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 3678
- Address: Room M1.191
Institute of Cellular Medicine
Diagnostic & Therapeutic Technologies
The Medical School
University of Newcastle
Newcastle upon Tyne
Neil has experience in biochemistry, molecular biology, nanotechnology and biosensors, this breadth of training overlaps in many areas. For example, the need for an understanding of proteins and their potential applications out of context, providing the essential specificity at sensor surfaces, which can result in the direct detection of important analytes in complex matrices. In addition, Neil is interested in the development of next generation molecular diagnostics as near-patient technology platforms for rapid, quantitative measurement of markers of disease and their use in remote monitoring and management. An academic in the Institute of Cellular Medicine, embedded within the Diagnostic and Therapeutic Technologies group, Neil strongly believes in multidisciplinary research and its advantages for the quality of scientific output. This is illustrated by current interest in the development of biological, microbial, or chemical sensors based on microelectromechanical systems (bio-MEMS).
Current and Recent Funding
i-sense2, IRC in Agile Early Warning Sensing Systems for Infectious Diseases and Antimicrobial Resistance: EPSRC IRC (£3.9M, October 2018 -September 2022).
Ultra-Sensitive Enhanced NanoSensing of Anti-Microbial Resistance (u-Sense): EPSRC IRC Next Steps Plus award (£1.39M October 2018 - August 2022).
Early-Warning Sensing Systems for Infectious Diseases: EPSRC IRC (£11.1M, Oct 2013 - Sept 2019)
Personal Risk Assessment in Febrile Illness to Optimize Real-life Management Across the EU (PERFORM): EC H2020 (Jan 2016 - Dec 2020).
The Multi-Corder: EPSRC Programme Grant (£3.4M, May 2013 - May 2018)
High Frequency Degenerate Mode Acoustic Sensors (DSAW): EPSRC Project Grant (£778k, Nov 2012 - Oct 2016)
Current and Recent PhD Supervision
- Principal Supervisor Matthew Setterfield September 2017 - September 2021
- Principal Supervisor Hannah Swinburne September 2014 - September 2018.
- Co-Supervisor Sinziana Popescu December 2013 - December 2017.
- Principal Supervisor, Katie Griffiths - September 2012 - September 2016.
- Co-Supervisor, Beth Lawry - September 2012 - September 2015.
- Co-Supervisor, Carl Dale - November 2007 - October 2011.
- MRes MMB8017 Nanomaterials in Healthcare Technologies.
- MSc Module MEC8012 Microsystems Engineering.
- MRes Project Supervisor.
- MSc Medical Sciences Tutor.
- MSc Medical Sciences Chair of the Board of Examiners
- Module Leader Stage 3 BGM3039 Biotechnology.
- Supervisor BSc Projects.
- BSc Biomedical Sciences Tutor.
- Burdess JS, Gallacher BJ, Grigg HT, Hu ZX, Dale C, Keegan N, Hedley J, Fu C, Spoors J. The theory of a trapped degenerate mode resonator. Journal of the Acoustical Society of America 2017, 141(6), 4622-4632.
- Popescu S, Dale C, Keegan N, Ghosh B, Kaner R, Hedley J. Rapid Prototyping of a Low-cost Graphene-based Impedimetric Biosensor. Procedia Technology 2017, 27, 274-276.
- Jauset-Rubio M, Svobodová M, Mairal T, McNeil C, Keegan N, Saeed A, Abbas MN, El-Shahawi MS, Bashammakh AS, Alyoubi AO, O'Sullivan CK. Ultrasensitive, rapid and inexpensive detection of DNA using paper based lateral flow assay. Scientific Reports 2016, 6, 37732.
- Jauset-Rubio M, Svobodová M, Mairal T, McNeil C, Keegan N, El-Shahawi MS, Bashammakh AS, Alyoubi AO, O'Sullivan CK. Aptamer Lateral Flow Assays for Ultrasensitive Detection of β-Conglutin Combining Recombinase Polymerase Amplification and Tailed Primers. Analytical Chemistry 2016, 88(21), 10701–10709.
- Hu Z, Hedley J, Keegan N, Spoors J, Gallacher B, McNeil C. One-port Electronic Detection Strategies for Improving Sensitivity in Piezoelectric Resonant Sensor Measurements. Sensors 2016, 16(11), 1781.
- Shakoor A, Cheah BC, Hao D, Al-Rawhani M, Nagy B, Grant J, Dale C, Keegan N, McNeil C, Cumming DRS. Plasmonic Sensor Monolithically Integrated with a CMOS Photodiode. ACS Photonics 2016, 3(10), 1926–1933.
- Griffiths K, Dale C, Hedley J, Kowal MD, Kaner RB, Keegan N. Laser-scribed graphene presents an opportunity to print a new generation of disposable electrochemical sensors. Nanoscale 2014, 6(22), 13613-13622.
- Hu Z, Hedley J, Keegan N, Spoors J, Waugh W, Gallacher B. Design, fabrication and characterization of a piezoelectric MEMS diaphragm resonator mass sensor. Journal of Micromechanics and Microengineering 2013, 23, 125019.
- Burnett R, Harris AJ, Ortiz P, Hedley J, Burdess JS, Keegan N, Spoors JA, McNeil CJ. Electronic Detection Strategies for a MEMS-Based Biosensor. Journal of Microelectromechanical Systems 2013, 22(2), 276-284.
- Ortiz P, Burnett R, Keegan N, Spoors J, Hedley J, Harris A, Burdess J, Raphoz N, Collet J, McNeil CJ. Issues associated with scaling up production of a lab demonstrated MEMS mass sensor. Journal of Micromechanics and Microengineering 2012, 22(11), 115032.
- Dewanto R, Dale C, Hu ZX, Keegan N, Gallacher B, Hedley J. Characterization of Strain Fields in Graphene Films. In: 7th Annual IEEE International Conference on Nano/Micro Engineered and Molecular Systems (NEMS). 2012, Kyoto, Japan: IEEE.
- Keegan N, Hedley J, Hu ZX, Spoors JA, Waugh W, Gallacher BJ. Piezoelectrically Actuated Circular Diaphragm Resonator Mass Sensors. In: 7th Annual IEEE International Conference on Nano/Micro Engineered and Molecular Systems (NEMS). 2012, Kyoto, Japan: IEEE.
- Stadler LKJ, Hoffmann T, Tomlinson DC, Song Q, Lee T, Busby M, Nyathi Y, Gendra E, Tiede C, Flanagan K, Cockell SJ, Wipat A, Harwood C, Wagner SD, Knowles MA, Davis JJ, Keegan N, KoFerrigno P. Structure-function studies of an engineered scaffold protein derived from Stefin A. II: Development and applications of the SQT variant. Protein Engineering Design and Selection 2011, 24(9), 751-763.
- Keegan N, Ridley H, Lakey J. Discovery of Biphasic Thermal Unfolding of OmpC with Implications for Surface Loop Stability. Biochemistry 2010, 49(45), 9715-9721.
- Suarez G, Keegan N, Spoors JA, Ortiz P, Jackson RJ, Hedley J, Borrise X, McNeil CJ. Biomolecule Patterning on Analytical Devices: A Microfabrication-Compatible Approach. Langmuir 2010, 26(8), 6071-6077.
- Ortiz P, Keegan N, Spoors J, Hedley J, Harris A, Burdess J, Burnett R, Biehl M, Haberer W, Velten T, Solomon M, Campitelli A, McNeil C. A Cancer Diagnostics Biosensor System Based on Micro- and Nano-technologies. In: Nano-Net: 4th International ICST Conference. 2009, Lucerne, Switzerland: Springer.
- Velten T, Biehl M, Haberer W, Koch T, Ortiz P, Keegan N, Spoors J, Hedley J, McNeil C. Packaging of a silicon-based biochip. In: Reliability, Packaging, Testing, and Characterization of MEMS/MOEMS and Nanodevices VIII. 2009, San Jose, California: SPIE - The International Society for Optical Engineering.
- Ortiz P, Keegan N, Spoors J, Hedley J, Harris A, Burdess J, Burnett R, Velten T, Biehl M, Knoll T, Haberer W, Solomon M, Campitelli A, McNeil C. Integration of a bioMEMS device into a disposable microfluidic cartridge for medical diagnostics. In: Microfluidics, BioMEMS, and Medical Microsystems VII. 2009, San Jose, California, USA: SPIE.
- Ismail AK, Burdess JS, Harris AJ, Suarez G, Keegan N, Spoors JA, Chang SC, McNeil CJ, Hedley J. The fabrication, characterization and testing of a MEMS circular diaphragm mass sensor. Journal of Micromechanics and Microengineering 2008, 18(2), 025021.
- Keegan N, Wright NG, Lakey JH. Circular dichroism spectroscopy of folding in a protein monolayer. Angewandte Chemie - International Edition 2005, 44(30), 4801-4804.
- Holt SA, Lakey JH, Daud SM, Keegan N. Neutron reflectometry of membrane protein assemblies at the solid/liquid interface. Australian Journal of Chemistry 2005, 58(9), 674-677.
- Gallacher BJ, Burdess JS, Hu ZX, Grigg HT, Dale C, Hedley J, Fu C, Spoors J, O'Meara N, Keegan N. Experimental verification of a quasi-trapped degenerate mode magnetic acoustic resonator. Sensors and Actuators A: Physical 2018, 269, 238-248.