Dr Stuart McCracken
Clinical Fellow/Honorary Consultant
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
"I am a Senior Lecturer at Newcastle University and Sunderland Royal Hospital. I have a passion for developing better laboratory models of human prostate cancer and adapting novel biosensor technologies to aid the advancement of personalised medicine to my patients. I believe inclusive collaboration between DGHs, teaching hospitals and university departments are the key to successful research."
Stuart studied at Nottingham University Medical School, graduating with honours in 1998. After basic surgical training, Stuart undertook a period of research focusing on targetable molecular pathways in advanced prostate cancer, leading to the award of a Doctor of Philosophy (PhD). His work was recognised with a European award for the “Best Paper Published on Fundamental Research” in 2009. He remains very active in the field of prostate cancer research, with his own research team at Newcastle University, and sits on the Executive Board of the Academic Section of the British Association of Urological Surgeons.
His urology training was undertaken in the North-East where Stuart is now a Senior Lecturer and Honorary Consultant Urological Surgeon, dividing his time between Newcastle University and Sunderland Royal Hospital. His clinical specialist interests lie in prostate cancer diagnostics and treatment, all stone surgeries and all aspects of general urology.
Outside of work, Stuart is a keen musician and cyclist. He is married with two children.
- McCracken SRC, Ramsay A, Heer R, Mathers ME, Jenkins BL, Edwards J, Robson CN, Marquez R, Cohen P, Leung HY. Aberrant expression of extracellular signal-regulated kinase 5 in human prostate cancer. Oncogene 2008, 27(21), 2978-2988.
- Ramsay AK, McCracken SRC, Soofi M, Fleming J, Yu AX, Ahmad I, Morland R, Machesky L, Nixon C, Edwards DR, Nuttall RK, Seywright M, Marquez R, Keller E, Leung HY. ERK5 signalling in prostate cancer promotes an invasive phenotype. British Journal of Cancer 2011, 104(4), 664-672.
- Dudderidge TJ, McCracken SRC, Loddo M, Fanshawe TR, Kelly JD, Neal DE, Leung HY, Williams GH, Stoeber K. Mitogenic growth signalling, DNA replication licensing, and survival are linked in prostate cancer. British Journal of Cancer 2007, 96(9), 1384-1393.
- McCracken S, Durkan G, Pickard R, Robson C. Diagnosis and management of prostate cancer in the older man. Reviews in Clinical Gerontology 2010, 20(3), 193-204.
- Brooke GN, Culley RL, Dart DA, Mann DJ, Gaughan L, McCracken SR, Robson CN, Spencer-Dene B, Gamble SC, Powell SM, Wait R, Waxman J, Walker MM, Bevan CL. FUS/TLS Is a Novel Mediator of Androgen-Dependent Cell-Cycle Progression and Prostate Cancer Growth. Cancer Research 2011, 71(3), 914-924.
- Mills, I., Gaughan, L., Robson, C. N., Ross, T., McCracken, S. R. C., Kelly, J., Neal, D. E. Huntingtin interacting protein 1 modulates the transcriptional activity of nuclear hormone receptors. Journal of Cell Biology 2005, 170(2), 191-200.
- Gaughan L, Stockley J, Wang N, McCracken S, Truemann A, Armstrong K, Shaheen F, Watt K, McEwan I, Wang C, Pestell RG, Robson CN. Regulation of the androgen receptor by SET9-mediated methylation. Nucleic Acids Research 2011, 39(4), 1266-1279.
- Logan IR, Gaughan L, McCracken SRC, Sapountzi V, Leung HY, Robson CN. Human PIRH2 enhances androgen receptor signaling through inhibition of histone deacetylase 1 and is overexpressed in prostate cancer. Molecular and Cellular Biology 2006, 26(17), 6502-6510.
- Gowardhan B, Douglas DA, Mathers ME, Mckie AB, McCracken SRC, Robson CN, Leung HY. Evaluation of the fibroblast growth factor system as a potential target for therapy in human prostate cancer. British Journal of Cancer 2005, 92(2), 320-327.
- McCracken SRC, Jenkins BL, Heer R, Mathers ME, Robson CN, Leung HY. Expression analysis of the MEK5/ERK5 signalling pathway in human prostate cancer. BJU International 2005, 95(s5), 82-83.
- Leung HY, Mckie AB, Sahadevan K, McCracken SRC, Maitland H, Olijslagers S. Loss of Sprouty2 Drives an Invasive Phenotype in Prostate Cancer and May Co-operate with HER2/3 in a Subgroup with Aggressive Disease. In: BJU International: Annual Scientific Meeting of the British Association of Urological Surgeons. 2009, Glasgow, UK: Wiley-Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
- McClurg UL, Harle VJ, Nabbi A, Batalha-Pereira A, Walker S, Coffey K, Gaughan L, McCracken SRC, Robson CN. Ubiquitin-specific protease 12 interacting partners Uaf-1 and WDR20 are potential therapeutic targets in prostate cancer. Oncotarget 2015, 6(35).
- Roushias S, Veeratterapillay R, McCracken S, Heer R. Penile strangulation by a substantial metal napkin ring: successful removal with medtronic midas rex® legend® stylus® drill system. Journal of Clinical Urology 2013, 6(3), 194-196.
- Gao ML, Patel R, Ahmad I, Fleming J, Edwards J, McCracken S, Sahadevan K, Seywright M, Norman J, Sansom O, Leung HY. SPRY2 loss enhances ErbB trafficking and PI3K/AKT signalling to drive human and mouse prostate carcinogenesis. EMBO Molecular Medicine 2012, 4(8), 776-790.
- McClurg U, Dransfield D, Namdev N, Jacoby D, Chit N, Nakjang S, Edwards J, McCracken S, Robson C. A novel anti-androgen candidate galeterone acts by targeting USP12, a deubiquitinating enzyme that controls prostate cancer growth and survival. In: 28th EORTC – NCI – AACR Symposium on Molecular Targets and Cancer Therapeutics. 2016, Munich, Germany: Elsevier.
- McClurg UL, Nabbi A, Ricordel C, Korolchuk S, McCracken S, Heer R, Wilson L, Butler LM, Irving-Hooper BK, Pedeux R, Robson CN, Riabowol KT, Binda O. Human ex vivo prostate tissue model system identifies ING3 as an oncoprotein. British Journal of Cancer 2018, 118, 713–726.
- McClurg UL, Chit NCTH, Azizyan M, Edwards J, Nabbi A, Riabowol KT, Nakjang S, McCracken SR, Robson CN. Molecular mechanism of the TP53-MDM2-AR-AKT signalling network regulation by USP12. Oncogene 2018, (ePub ahead of Print).