EEE3207 : Individual Project
- Offered for Year: 2017/18
- Module Leader(s): Dr Wai Lok Woo
- Owning School: Engineering
- Teaching Location: Singapore
|Semester 1 Credit Value:||20|
|Semester 2 Credit Value:||20|
To enhance the ability of the student to apply his/her engineering expertise to investigate a complex problem.
Outline Of Syllabus
An individual assignment leading to the design and development of an original system or device and involving multi-disciplinary skills. The overall theme of the project will be provided by an academic staff supervisor who will assist in project monitoring. Assessment of the project, undertaken by project supervisor and second examiner, is via presentations, demonstrations and a final report.
|Guided Independent Study||Assessment preparation and completion||1||20:00||20:00||Poster presentation.|
|Guided Independent Study||Assessment preparation and completion||1||5:00||5:00||Demonstrations|
|Guided Independent Study||Assessment preparation and completion||1||80:00||80:00||Dissertation|
|Scheduled Learning And Teaching Activities||Lecture||1||30:00||30:00||Research proposal and literature review.|
|Guided Independent Study||Directed research and reading||1||25:00||25:00||Searching and reading background material and publications.|
|Guided Independent Study||Skills practice||1||25:00||25:00||Circuit board construction; software development.|
|Guided Independent Study||Project work||1||200:00||200:00||Design and construction of devices and/or software.|
|Scheduled Learning And Teaching Activities||Dissertation/project related supervision||15||1:00||15:00||Total number of staff contact hours depends on the number of students.|
Teaching Rationale And Relationship
This project requires the student not only to adapt the factual, conceptual and procedural knowledge acquired from a wide range of modules to a specific problem but also to enhance their strategic knowledge by undertaking an project in which he/she is wholly responsible.
Consequently it will require the student to demonstrate a wide range of skills
1. subject-specific skills - design skills plus an overall understanding of a wide range of subject matter related to the project
2. core skills - ability to plan and organise the work, together with exercising problem solving skills, also deomonstrate numeracy and computer literacy skills, finally submit a written report on the design
3. cognitive skills - ability the analyse the results and present them in a coherent manner.
The format of resits will be determined by the Board of Examiners
|Oral Presentation||30||1||M||5||Initial demonstration.|
|Oral Presentation||30||2||M||15||Final demonstration.|
|Dissertation||2||M||60||40 pages (excluding references and appendices).|
|Research proposal||1||M||5||Literature Review and Research Proposal.|
Assessment Rationale And Relationship
From the various presentations plus report the ability of the student will be assessed regarding;
1. subject-specific, core and cognitive skills - established from technical assessment of the initial study, implementation issues and evaluation of end project plus dissertation.