Equality and Diversity
We're assuring a welcoming, inclusive and supportive School.
We are dedicated to creating a welcoming, inclusive and supportive culture for all staff, students and visitors.
We continually make and monitor initiatives that ensure a supportive working environment, which values every individual within our community.
Celebrating our diversity
We have started to publish "spotlights" that celebrate the diversity and achievements of some of our colleagues.
The Athena SWAN charter scheme is one part of our work to assure an equal and diverse workplace. The University holds a Silver award. Other initiatives completed across the University include:
- unconscious bias training for interview panels
- review of marketing and recruitment materials to promote openness and fairness
- a wide range of events throughout each academic year to allow colleagues to learn about, share and explore different aspects of E&D
- NU-Women: a forum for women to share ideas and provide mutual support for their career development
- JustAsk: support and direction for University employees – help with stress
- Keepwell@NCL: a collection of resources to contribute to wellbeing
- Mosaic: for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender staff
- Carer’s Network: a network for those supporting, e.g a relative, partner, child, friend or neighbour who has a disability, health condition, is frail or for other reasons
- Disabled employees’ Network: open to all disabled employees
- Dignity Support – help with issues of bullying and harassment
- Guidelines for new staff
- Parents and carers: family friendly policies and information
- Leave and sickness absence: maternity, paternity, unpaid, special, buying additional etc.
- Staff benefits – cycle scheme, sports facilities, childcare vouchers etc.
- Career break scheme
- Soapbox Science
- Equality Challenge Unit
- WISE - Women in science, technology and engineering
- Gender Competence in Business and Research: GenCo
- RCUK Diversity statement
- The Daphne Jackson Trust
- LGBT Foundation
- Disability Support in Higher Education
- AHEAD: Association on Higher Education and Disability
- Time to Change: End Mental Health Discrimination
- Working group for the Promotion of Mental Well-Being in Higher Education
- Sex in Science, Sanger Institute