Dr Miguel Morales Maqueda
Senior Lecturer in Oceanography
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: +44 (0)191 208 8837
- Personal Website: https://blogs.ncl.ac.uk/miguelmoralesmaqueda/
- Address: School of Natural and Environmental Sciences
Newcastle Upon Tyne
I hold a degree in Fundamental Physics for the Complutense University of Madrid. My earliest research, carried out during my PhD years at the Catholic University of Louvain, Belgium, was in the study of the interactions between the upper polar ocean and the sea ice cover using large scale, coupled sea ice-ocean models. An important result of this effort was the creation of a dynamics-thermodynamics sea ice model that is still in use as part of the NEMO (Nucleus for a European Model of the Ocean) modelling system. Subsequently, I moved to University of Keele, UK, where, as a NERC research fellow, I worked on various problems of polar climate modelling, specifically, the dynamics of polynyas (open water areas within the sea ice cover), climate-ice sheet interactions, and modes of natural variability of the upper polar ocean using different intermediate complexity models. I next moved to the Postdam Institute for Climate Impact Research and became a CLIVAR fellow working on the coupling of sea ice and ocean general circulation models and investigating the dynamics of the Meridional Overturning Circulation and the impact of diverse advection schemes on effective diapycnal mixing in ocean models. This work completed, I was appointed associate research scientist at New York University where my research focused on modelling the ocean circulation underneath ice shelf cavities using isopycnic models and the interactions between geothermal/hydrothermal flows and the abyssal ocean circulation. My final move before taking my current position at Newcastle University was again in the UK as NERC higher scientific officer at the Proudman Oceanographic Laboratory and, later, at the National Oceanography Centre. At POL and NOC, I pursued further my ocean modelling interests but took also responsibilities organising and leading oceanographic field work in the North West Atlantic and the Bay of Biscay (measurement of the Atlantic Overturning Circulation), Drake Passage (measurement of the strength Antarctic Circumpolar Current), and the Panama Basin (characterisation of the abyssal circulation in response to geothermal/hydrothermal forcing). I also led, and continue leading, work on the use of autonomous surface vehicles for the monitoring and measurement of the sea state, the geoid and the ocean mean dynamic topography.
Roles and Responsibilities
PhD Complutense University of Madrid and University of Louvain, 1995
BSc Complutense University of Madrid, 1987
• Proudman Oceanographic Laboratory and National Oceanography Centre, UK, 2005-2015.
• Courant Institute of Mathematical Sciences, New York University, USA, 2003-2005.
• Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research, Germany, 1999-2003.
• Department of Mathematics, Keele University, UK, 1996-1999.
• Institute of Astronomy and Geophysics Georges Lemaître, Catholic University of Louvain, Belgium, 1995.Normal 0 false false false EN-GB X-NONE X-NONE
Follow this link to my research pages.
- Barnes JM, Morales Maqueda MA, Polton JA, Megann AP. Idealised modelling of ocean circulation driven by conductive and hydrothermal fluxes at the seabed. Ocean Modelling 2018, 122, 26-35.
- Davies RJ, Morales Maqueda AL, Li A, Ganopolski A. Millennial-scale shifts in the methane hydrate stability zone due to Quaternary climate change. Geology 2017, epub ahead of print.
- Woodworth PL, Morales Maqueda MA, Gehrels WR, Roussenov VM, Williams RG, Hughes CW. Variations in the Difference between Mean Sea Level measured either side of Cape Hatteras and Their Relation to the North Atlantic Oscillation. Climate Dynamics 2017, 49(7-8), 2451-2469.
- Sansiviero M, Morales Maqueda MA, Fusco G, Aulicino G, Flocco D, Budillon G. Modelling sea ice formation in the Terra Nova Bay polynya. Journal of Marine Systems 2016, 166, 4-25.
- Morales Maqueda MA, Penna NT, Williams SDP, Foden PR, Martin I, Pugh J. Water surface height determination with a GPS Wave Glider: A demonstration in Loch Ness, Scotland. Journal of Atmospheric and Oceanic Technology 2016, 33(6), 1159-1168.
- Meijers AJS, Meredith MP, Abrahamsen EP, Morales Maqueda MA, Jones DC, Naveira Garabato AC. Wind-driven export of Weddell Sea slope water. Journal of Geophysical Research: Oceans 2016, Epub ahead of print.
- Woodworth PL, Morales Maqueda MA, Roussenov VM, Williams RG, Hughes CW. Mean sea-level variability along the northeast American Atlantic coast and the roles of the wind and the overturning circulation. Journal of Geophysical Research: Oceans 2014, 119(12), 8916-8935.
- Mead Silvester J, Lenn YD, Polton JA, Rippeth TP, Morales Maqueda MA. Observations of a diapycnal shortcut to adiabatic upwelling of Antarctic Circumpolar Deep Water. Geophysical Research Letter 2014, 41(22), 7950-7956.
- Morales Maqueda MA, Willmott AJ, Walkington IA. The opening of wind-driven polynyas. Journal of Fluid Mechanics 2014, 746, 236-272.
- Morales Maqueda MA, Willmott AJ. Shelf sea circulation at high latitudes. In: C.N.K. Mooers, P. Craig and N. Huang, ed. Coupled coastal wind, wave and current dynamics. Cambridge University Press, 2013. In Press.
- Hughes C, Elipot S, Morales Maqueda MA, Loder J. Test of a method for monitoring the geostrophic meridional overturning circulation using only boundary measurements. Journal of Atmospheric and Oceanic Technology 2013, 30, 789-809.
- Wobus F, Shapiro GI, Huthnance JM, Morales Maqueda MA. The piercing of the Atlantic Layer by an Arctic shelf water cascade in an idealised study inspired by the Storfjorden overflow in Svalbard. Ocean Modelling 2013, 71, 54-65.
- Wobus F, Shapiro GI, Huthnance JM, Morales Maqueda MA, Aksenov Y. Tidally induced lateral dispersion of the Storfjorden overflow plume. Ocean Science 2013, 9(5), 885-899.
- Luneva M, Willmott AJ, Morales Maqueda MA. Geostrophic adjustment problems in a polar basin. Atmosphere-Ocean 2012, 50(2), 134-155.
- Krumpen T, Willmes S, Morales Maqueda MA, Haas C, Hölemann JA, Gerdes R, Schröder D. Evaluation of a polynya flux model by means of thermal infrared satellite estimates. Annals of Glaciology 2011, 52(57), 52-60.
- Wobus F, Shapiro GI, Morales Maqueda MA, Huthnance JM. Numerical simulations of dense water cascading on a steep slope. Journal of Marine Research 2011, 69(2-3), 391-415.
- Le Fouest V, Morales Maqueda MA, Postlethwaite C, Bélanger S, Babin M. On the role of tides and wind events on summer primary production in the Barents Sea. Continental Shelf Research 2011, 31, 1869-1879.
- Krumpen T, Hölemann JA, Willmes S, Morales Maqueda MA, Busche T, Dmitrenko IA, Gerdes R, Haas C, Heinemann G, Hendricks S, Kassens H, Rabenstein L, Schröder D. Sea ice production and water mass modification in the eastern Laptev Sea. Journal of Geophysical Research 2011, 116.
- Meredith MP, Woodworth PL, Chereskin TK, Marshall DP, Allison LC, Bigg GR, Donohue K, Heywood KJ, Hughes CW, Hibbert A, Hogg AMC, Johnson HL, Jullion L, King BA, Leach H, Lenn Y, Morales Maqueda MA, Munday DR, Naveira Garabato AC, Provost C, Sprintall J. Sustained monitoring of the Southern Ocean at Drake Passage: past achievements and future priorities. Reviews of Geophysics 2011, 49, RG4005.
- Postlethwaite CF, Morales Maqueda MA, le Fouest V, Tattersall GR, Holt J, Willmott AJ. The effect of tides on dense water formation in Arctic shelf seas. Ocean Science 2011, 7, 203-217.
- Hofmann M, Morales Maqueda MA. The response of Southern Ocean eddies to increased midlatitude westerlies: a non-eddy resolving model study. Geophysical Research Letters 2011, 38, L03605.
- Morales Maqueda MA, Heywood KJ, Meredith MP. Monitoring the Antarctic Circumpolar Current in the Drake Passage: Oceanography in Drake Passage: Wherefrom, Whereto and What in Between? Liverpool, United Kingdom, 26–27 October 2009. EOS, Transactions American Geophysical Union 2010, 91(15), 135.
- Hofmann M, Morales Maqueda MA. Geothermal heat flux and its influence on the oceanic abyssal circulation and radio carbon distribution. Geophysical Research Letters 2009, 36, L03603.
- Walkington IA, Morales Maqueda MA, Willmott AJ. A robust and computationally efficient model of a two-dimensional coastal polynya. Ocean Modelling 2007, 17(2), 140-152.
- Holland D, Morales Maqueda MA, Willmott AJ. Polynya Modelling. In: W. O. Smith and D. G. Barber, ed. Polynyas: Windows to the World. Oxford: Elsevier Science Ltd, 2007, pp.87-122.
- Hofmann M, Morales Maqueda MA. Performance of a second-order moments advection scheme in an Ocean General Circulation Model. Journal of Geophysical Research 2006, 111, C05006.
- Morales Maqueda MA, Holloway G. Second-order moment advection scheme applied to Arctic Ocean simulation. Ocean Modelling 2006, 14(3-4), 197-221.
- Griesel A, Morales Maqueda MA. The relation of meridional pressure gradients to North Atlantic Deep Water volume transport in an Ocean General Circulation Model. Climate Dynamics 2006, 26(7), 781–799.
- Morales Maqueda MA, Willmott AJ, Biggs NRT. Polynya dynamics: A review of observations and modeling. Reviews of Geophysics 2004, 42(1), RG1004.
- Tear S, Willmott AJ, Biggs NRT, Morales Maqueda MA. One-dimensional models for the closure of a coastal latent heat polynya. Journal of Physical Oceanography 2003, 33(2), 329-342.
- Morales Maqueda MA, Rahmstorf S. Did Antarctic sea-ice expansion cause glacial CO2 decline?. Geophysical Research Letters 2002, 29(01).
- Bjornsson H, Willmott AJ, Mysak LA, Morales Maqueda MA. Polynyas in a high-resolution dynamicthermodynamic sea ice model and their parameterization using flux models. Tellus Series A: Dynamic Meteorology and Oceanography 2001, 53A(2), 245-265.
- Morales Maqueda MA, Willmott AJ. A two-dimensional time-dependent model of a wind-driven coastal polynya: application to the St. Lawrence Island Polynya. Journal of Physical Oceanography 2000, 30, 1281-1304.
- Biggs NRT, Morales Maqueda MA, Willmott AJ. Polynya flux model solutions incorporating a parameterization for the collection thickness of consolidated new ice. Journal of Fluid Mechanics 2000, 408, 179-204.
- Morales Maqueda MA, Willmott AJ, DarbY MS. A numerical model for interdecadal variability of sea ice cover in the Greenland-Iceland-Norwegian Sea. Climate Dynamics 1999, 15(2), 89-113.
- Fichefet T, Morales Maqueda MA. Modelling the influence of snow accumulation and snow-ice formation on the seasonal cycle of the Antarctic sea-ice cover. Climate Dynamics 1999, 15(4), 251 – 268.
- Morales Maqueda MA, Willmott AJ, Bamber JL, Darby MS. An investigation of the small ice cap instabilty in the Southern Hemisphere with a coupled atmosphere-sea ice-ocean-terrestrial ice model. Climate Dynamics 1998, 14(5), 329-352.
- Fichefet Th, Goosse H, Morales Maqueda MA. On the large-modeling of sea ice and sea ice–ocean interactions. In: Chassignet,EP;Verron,J, ed. Ocean Modeling and Parameterisation. Dordrecht: NATO ASI Series, 1998, pp.399–422.
- Willmott AJ, Morales Maqueda MA, Darby MS. A model for the influence of wind and oceanic currents on the size of a steady-state latent heat coastal polynya. Journal of Physical Oceanography 1997, 27(10), 2256-2275.
- Fichefet T, Morales Maqueda MA. Sensitivity of a global sea ice model to the treatment of ice thermodynamics and dynamics. Journal of Geophysical Research - Oceans 1997, 102(C6), 12609–12646.