Dr Nicholas Aldred
Senior Research Associate
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 6653
- Personal Website: https://research.ncl.ac.uk/anemonelab/
- Address: Dr. Nick Aldred,
School of Natural and Environmental Sciences,
I am a Research Fellow with interests in biological adhesion and marine biofouling processes. My main focus is investigation of the adhesion and adhesive interfaces of sessile marine organisms, such as barnacles, also developing methods to quantify and interrogate their settlement and pre-settlement behaviour. The applications of my research are in the development of synthetic bioadhesives for hi-tech applications and fouling-resistant materials for marine use.
US Office of Naval Research award (AS Clare, N Aldred, JA Finlay). Laboratory measures of the settlement behavior of barnacles and algae, and evaluation of novel antifouling coatings.
Area of Expertise
PhD, Newcastle University (2007) on: "The adhesion and adhesives of barnacles (Balanus amphitrite; Semibalanus balanoides) and mussels (Mytilus edulis)".
B.Sc. (Hons.) in Marine Biology (2002) from The University of Wales, Bangor.
- (2017) The Leverhulme Trust (PI): "Going back to basics: reverse engineering the adhesive of the sea anemone Aiptasia pallida"
- (2016) COST Association (Co-applicant): "ENBA: The European network of bioadhesion expertise"
- (2016) ONR Global (PI): "Biochemical investigation of barnacle cyprid adhesive using confocal laser scanning microscopy and 2-photon microscopy
- (2015) Defence Science and Technology Laboratory: "Production of synthetic barnacle adhesives"
Current PhD Students
- Joshua Raine - Investigation of barnacle cyprid temporary adhesion
- David Webb - Production of synthetic barnacle adhesives
- Jan Kardela - Investigation of superhydrophilic antifouling coatings
- Faizal Nadzari - Larval settlement of the tubeworm Ficopomatus enigmaticus
Former PhD Students
- Dr Sofia Franco - Aquaculture of the stalked barnacle, Pollicipes pollicipes
Google Scholar Metrics
Author of over 40 peer-reviewed publications attracting over 200 total citations per year (H-Index = 21). 3 have over 100 citations and several appear in top
multidisciplinary journals (e.g. Nature Communications,
Journal of the Royal Society Interface).
Google Scholar: https://scholar.google.co.uk/citations?user=vJW_SPIAAAAJ&hl=en
The oily adhesive of barnacle larvae, e.g. http://optics.org/news/5/7/35. (http://www.nature.com/ncomms/2014/140711/ncomms5414/abs/ncomms5414.html)
Front cover of JEB in June 2013, http://jeb.biologists.org/content/216/11.toc
Front cover of the journal Biointerphases in 2010.
Recent Invited Talks
- Session chair and speaker, biological adhesives session at the 2017 meeting of the Society for Experimental Biology, Gothenburg, July 2017.
- The 18th International Congress on Marine Corrosion and Fouling (ICMCF), Toulon, June 2016.
- The 17th International Congress on Marine Corrosion and Fouling (ICMCF), Singapore, July 2014. (Session organiser)
- Co-organiser (scientific committee) and session chair of the 1st and 2nd International Conferences on Biological and Bio-Inspired adhesives, Lisbon May 2012 and Istanbul May 2014.
- The 245th American Chemical Society National Meeting, New Orleans, April 2013. (Session chair)
- Organiser of Horizon 2020 Consortium Building workshop, Newcastle, September 2012.
- The 16th ICMCF, Seattle, July 2012.
- The ‘Bioglue’ conference, Vienna, November 2010. (Plenary and session chair)
- The 15th ICMCF, Newcastle, July 2010.
- The 43rd IUPAC World Polymer Congress, Glasgow, July 2010.
- Aldred N, Alsaab A, Clare AS. Quantitative analysis of the complete larval settlement process confirms Crisp's model of surface selectivity by barnacles. Proceedings of the Royal Society B 2018, 285(1872), 20171957.
- Spiga I, Aldred N, Caldwell GS. Anthropogenic noise compromises the anti-predator behaviour of the European seabass, Dicentrarchus labrax (L.). Marine Pollution Bulletin 2017, 122(1-2), 297-305.
- Alsaab A, Aldred N, Clare AS. Automated tracking and classification of the settlement behaviour of barnacle cyprids. Journal of the Royal Society Interface 2017, 14(128), 20160957.
- Franco SC, Aldred N, Cruz T, Clare AS. Effects of culture conditions on larval growth and survival of stalked barnacles (Pollicipes pollicipes). Aquaculture Research 2017, 48(6), 2920-2933.
- Gatley-Montross CM, Finlay JA, Aldred N, Cassady H, Destino JF, Orihuela B, Hickner MA, Clare AS, Rittschof D, Holm ER, Detty MR. Multivariate analysis of attachment of biofouling organisms in response to material surface characteristics. Biointerphases 2017, 12(5), 051003.
- Maleshlijski S, Sendra GH, Aldred N, Clare AS, Liedberg B, Grunze M, Ederth T, Rosenhahn A. Imaging SPR combined with stereoscopic 3D tracking to study barnacle cyprid-surface interactions. Surface Science 2016, 643, 172-177.
- Senkbeil T, Mohamed T, Simon R, Batchelor D, Di Fino A, Aldred N, Clare AS, Rosenhahn A. In vivo and in situ synchotron radiation based µ-XRF reveals elemental distributions during the early attachment phase of barnacle larvae and juvenile barnacles. Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry 2016, 408(5), 1487-1496.
- Franco SC, Aldred N, Cruz T, Clare AS. Modulation of gregarious settlement of the stalked barnacle, Pollicipes pollicipes: a laboratory study. Scientia Marina 2016, 80(2), 217-228.
- Aldred N, Petrone L. Progress in the study of adhesion by marine invertebrate larvae. In: Biological Adhesives, Second Edition. Springer International Publishing, 2016, pp.87-105.
- Bauer S, Alles M, Arpa-Sancet MP, Ralston E, Swain GW, Aldred N, Clare AS, Finlay JA, Callow ME, Callow JA, Rosenhahn A. Resistance of amphiphilic polysaccharides against marine fouling organisms. Biomacromolecules 2016, 17(3), 897–904.
- Petrone L, Aldred N, Emami K, Enander K, Ederth T, Clare AS. Chemistry-specific surface adsorption of the barnacle settlement-inducing protein complex. Interface Focus 2015, 5(1), 20140047.
- Maleschlijski S, Bauer S, Aldred N, Clare AS, Rosenhahn A. Classification of the pre-settlement behaviour of barnacle cyprids. Interface 2015, 12(102).
- Franco SC, Aldred N, Clare AS. Stalked Barnacles Hold Aquaculture Potential, But Face Bottlenecks. Global Aquaculture Advocate 2015, 18(4), 44-46.
- Franco SC, Aldred N, Sykes AV, Cruz T, Clare AS. The effects of rearing temperature on reproductive conditioning of stalked barnacles (Pollicipes pollicipes). Aquaculture 2015, 448, 410-417.
- Di Fino A, Petrone L, Aldred N, Ederth T, Liedberg B, Clare AS. Correlation between surface chemistry and settlement behaviour in barnacle cyprids (Balanus improvisus). Biofouling 2014, 30(2), 143-152.
- Aldred N, Clare AS. Mini-review: Impact and dynamics of surface fouling by solitary and compound ascidians. Biofouling 2014, 30(3), 259-270.
- Gohad N, Aldred N, Hartshorn C, Lee YJ, Cicerone M, Orihuela B, Clare AS, Rittschof D, Mount AS. Synergistic roles for lipids and proteins in the permanent adhesive of barnacle larvae. Nature Communications 2014, 5, 4414.
- Aldred N, Høeg JT, Maruzzo D, Clare AS. Analysis of the behaviours mediating barnacle cyprid reversible adhesion. PLoS One 2013, 8(7), e68085.
- Santos R, Aldred N, Gorb S, Flammang P, ed. Biological and Biomimetic Adhesives: Challenges and Opportunities. Cambridge, UK: RSC Publishing, 2013.
- Aldred N, Gohad NV, Petrone L, Orihuela B, Liedberg B, Ederth T, Mount A, Rittschof D, Clare AS. Confocal microscopy-based goniometry of barnacle cyprid permanent adhesive. Journal of Experimental Biology 2013, 216, 1969-1972.
- Schön P, Kutnyanszky E, ten Donkelaar B, Santonicola MG, Tecim T, Aldred N, Clare AS, Vancso GJ. Probing biofouling resistant polymer brush surfaces by atomic force microscopy based force microscopy. Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces 2013, 102, 923-930.
- Maruzzo D, Aldred N, Clare AS, Høeg JT. Metamorphosis in the cirripede crustacean Balanus amphitrite. PLoS One 2012, 7(5), e37408.
- Gohad NV, Aldred N, Orihuela B, Clare AS, Rittschof D, Mount AS. Observations on the settlement and cementation of barnacle (Balanus amphitrite) cyprid larvae after artificial exposure to noradrenaline and the locations of adrenergic-like receptors. Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology 2012, 416-417, 153-161.
- Imbesi PM, Finlay JA, Aldred N, Eller MJ, Felder SE, Pollack KA, Lonnecker AT, Raymond JE, Mackay ME, Schweikert EA, Clare AS, Callow JA, Callow ME, Wooley KL. Targeted surface nanocomplexity: Two-dimensional control over the composition, physical properties and anti-biofouling performance of hyperbranched fluoropolymer - poly(ethylene glycol) amphiphilic crosslinked networks. Polymer Chemistry 2012, 3(11), 3121-3131.
- Maleschlijski S, Sendra GH, Di Fino A, Leal-Taixé L, Thome I, Terfort A, Aldred N, Grunze M, Clare AS, Rosenhahn B, Rosenhahn A. Three dimensional tracking of exploratory behavior of barnacle cyprids using stereoscopy. Biointerphases 2012, 7, 50.
- Petrone L, DiFino A, Aldred N, Sukkaew P, Ederth T, Clare AS, Liedberg B. Effects of surface charge and Gibbs surface energy on the settlement behaviour of barnacle cyprids (Balanus amphitrite). Biofouling 2011, 27(9), 1043-1055.
- Bacchetti De Gregoris T, Aldred N, Clare AS, Burgess JG. Improvement of phylum- and class-specific primers for real-time PCR of bacterial taxa. Journal of Microbiological Methods 2011, 86(3), 351-356.
- Aldred N, Ekblad T, Andersson O, Liedberg B, Clare AS. Real-Time Quantification of Microscale Bioadhesion Events In situ Using Imaging Surface Plasmon Resonance (iSPR). Applied Materials and Interfaces 2011, 3(6), 2085-2091.
- Maruzzo D, Conlan S, Aldred N, Clare AS, Hoeg JT. Video observation of surface exploration in cyprids of Balanus amphitrite: the movements of antennular sensory setae. Biofouling 2011, 27(2), 225-239.
- Phang IY, Aldred N, Ling XY, Huskens J, Clare AS, Vancso GJ. Atomic force microscopy of the morphology and mechanical behaviour of barnacle cyprid footprint proteins at the nanoscale. Journal of the Royal Society: Interface 2010, 7(43), 285-296.
- Aldred N, Scardino A, Cavaco A, de Nys R, Clare AS. Attachment strength is a key factor in the selection of surfaces by barnacle cyprids (Balanus amphitrite) during settlement. Biofouling 2010, 26(3), 287-299.
- Aldred N, Li GZ, Gao Y, Clare AS, Jiang SY. Modulation of barnacle (Balanus amphitrite Darwin) cyprid settlement behavior by sulfobetaine and carboxybetaine methacrylate polymer coatings. Biofouling 2010, 26(6), 673-683.
- Schmidt M, Cavaco A, Gierlinger N, Aldred N, Fratzl P, Grunze M, Clare AS. In Situ Imaging of Barnacle (Balanus amphitrite) Cyprid Cement Using Confocal Raman Microscopy. Journal of Adhesion 2009, 85(2-3), 139-151.
- Phang IY, Aldred N, Ling XY, Tomczak N, Huskens J, Clare AS, Vancso GJ. Chemistry-Specific Interfacial Forces Between Barnacle (Semibalanus balanoides) Cyprid Footprint Proteins and Chemically Functionalised AFM Tips. Journal of Adhesion 2009, 85(9), 616-630.
- Aldred N, Clare AS. Mechanisms and principles underlying temporary adhesion, surface exploration and settlement site selection by barnacle cyprids: A short review. In: Gorb, SN, ed. Functional Surfaces in Biology. Berlin: Springer, 2009, pp.43-65.
- Andersson O, Ekblad T, Aldred N, Clare AS, Liedberg B. Novel application of imaging surface plasmon resonance for in situ studies of the surface exploration of marine organisms. Biointerphases 2009, 4(4), 65-68.
- Clare AS, Aldred N. Surface colonisation by marine organisms and its impact on antifouling research. In: Hellio C; Yebra D, ed. Advances in Marine Antifouling Coatings and Technologies. Oxford: Woodhead Publishing, 2009, pp.46-79.
- Conlan SL, Mutton RJ, Aldred N, Clare AS. Evaluation of a fully automated method to measure the critical removal stress of adult barnacles. Biofouling 2008, 24(6), 471-481.
- Aldred N, Clare AS. The adhesive strategies of cyprids and development of barnacle-resistant marine coatings. Biofouling 2008, 24(5), 351-363.
- Aldred N, Phang IY, Conlan SL, Clare AS, Vancso GJ. The effects of a serine protease, Alcalase (R), on the adhesives of barnacle cyprids (Balanus amphitrite). Biofouling 2008, 24(2), 97-107.
- Phang I, Aldred N, Clare AS, Vancso G. Towards a nanomechanical basis for temporary adhesion in barnacle cyprids (Semibalanus balanoides). Journal of the Royal Society: Interface 2008, 5(21), 397-402.
- Phang IY, Aldred N, Clare AS, Vancso GJ. Effective marine antifouling coatings – studying barnacle cyprid adhesion with atomic force microscopy. NanoS 2007, 1(7), 34-39.
- Schumacher JF, Aldred N, Callow ME, Finlay JA, Callow JA, Clare AS, Brennan AB. Species-specific engineered antifouling topographies: correlations between the settlement of algal zoospores and barnacle cyprids. Biofouling 2007, 23(5), 307-317.
- Aldred N, Wills T, Williams DN, Clare AS. Tensile and dynamic mechanical analysis of the distal portion of mussel (Mytilus edulis) byssal threads. Journal of the Royal Society: Interface 2007, 4(17), 1159-1167.
- Phang IY, Aldred N, Clare AS, Callow JA, Vancso GJ. An in situ study of the nanomechanical properties of barnacle (Balanus amphitrite) cyprid cement using atomic force microscopy (AFM). Biofouling 2006, 22(4), 245-250.
- Aldred N, Ista LK, Callow ME, Callow JA, Lopez GP, Clare AS. Mussel (Mytilus edulis) byssus deposition in response to variations in surface wettability. Journal of the Royal Society: Interface 2006, 3(6), 37-43.
- Hellio C, Tsoukatou M, Maréchal J, Aldred N, Beaupoil C, Clare AS, Vagias C, Roussis V. Inhibitory effects of Mediterranean sponge extracts and metabolites on larval settlement of the barnacle Balanus amphitrite. Marine Biotechnology 2005, 7(4), 297-305.