Dr Cristian Ulianov
Railway Technology Group Manager
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 3971
- Personal Website: http://www.newrail.org
- Address: Stephenson Building, 2nd floor
Newcastle upon Tyne
Having an educational background in Mechanical and Industrial Engineering, Cristian has further specialised in manufacturing processes, railway engineering, and composites. His professional experience consists of stages both in industry and academia, including design, research and teaching activities.
He is currently the Group Manager of NewRail's Technology Group, with the aim of increasing its research capabilities and enlarging its area of expertise.
• PhD degree in Industrial Engineering, 2000
• MEng degree in Mechanical Engineering
- Railway engineering
- Reliability and maintainability of mechanical systems
- Manufacturing technologies (machining, welding and joining, non traditional technologies)
- Composites engineering.
- Supervision and monitoring of railway system
- Freight rolling stock (benchmarking, novel technical solutions, testing, etc.)
- Inspection and maintenance of railway infrastructure and rolling stock
- Testing of railway technology (infrastructure and rolling stock)
- Analysis and assessment of transport research results and market uptake (particularly in rail sector)
- Transport research strategies and policies.
- Member of the Evaluation Working Group (EWG) within the European Rail Research Advisory Council (ERRAC)
- Member of the Scientific Committee – “Club Feroviar” Conferences | International Technical Colloquium on Freight Rolling Stock (2012, 2013)
- Member of the Scientific Committee – “Club Feroviar” Conferences | International Technical Colloquium on Passenger Rolling Stock (2012, 2013)
- Member of the Scientific Committee - IManE Conference, Innovative Manufacturing Engineering Conference, Iasi, 2013
- Visiting Lecturer – Università degli Studi di Udine, Italy (2006)
- Visiting Lecturer – Universidad de Valladolid, Spain (2005)
- Associate Professor – “Gheorghe Asachi” Technical University of Iasi, Romania
- Ulianov C, Defossez F, Vasić Franklin G, Robinson M. Overview of Freight Train Derailments in the EU: Causes, Impacts, Prevention and Mitigation Measures. In: George Yannis, Simon Cohen, ed. Traffic Safety. Hoboken, NJ, USA: John Wiley & Sons, Inc, 2016.
- Hyde P, Defossez F, Ulianov C. Development and testing of an automatic remote condition monitoring system for train wheels. IET Intelligent Transport Systems 2016, 10(1), 32-40.
- Ulianov C, Shaltout R, Balan A. Lightweight Vehicle Structural Design with Advanced Steel Grades and Profiles. Applied Mechanics and Materials 2015, 809-810, 1199-1204.
- Chen H, Ulianov C, Shaltout R. 3D laser scanning technique for the inspection and monitoring of railway tunnels. Transport Problems 2015, 10(Special Edition), 73-84.
- Shaltout R, Baeza L, Ulianov C. Development of a simulation tool for the dynamic analysis of railway vehicle- track interaction. Transport Problems 2015, 10(Special Edition), 47-58.
- Ulianov C, Araya K, Lupescu O, Badanac A. Selection Tool for Dissimilar Materials Joining. Applied Mechanics and Materials 2015, 809-810, 473-478.
- Ulianov C, Lupescu O, Palacin R. Probabilistic and Statistical Modelling of Long-Term Behaviour of Composites Systems. Progress in Rubber, Plastics & Recycling Technology 2013, 29(4), 189-215.
- Ulianov C, Robinson A, Gibson A, Fallatah G. Reliability analysis of aramid fibre yarns. Plastics, Rubber and Composites 2010, 39(3-5), 157-164.
- Ulianov C, Franklin FJ, Hyde P, Shaltout R. Experimental investigation of wheel-track interaction characteristics using test track bogie dynamics measurements. In: 18th International Wheelset Congress (IWC 2016). 2016, Chengdu, China: IEEE.
- Hyde P, Ulianov C, Pavkovic B. Testing and evaluation of real-time satellite positioning and communication system in rail transport environment. In: Third International Conference on Traffic and Transport Engineering ICTTE. 2016, Belgrade: City Net Scientific Research Center Ltd. Belgrade.
- Chen H-M, Ulianov C, Shaltout RE. A holistic design approach using advanced computing tools for railway track modelling. In: Proceedings of the Fifteenth International Conference on Civil, Structural and Environmental Engineering Computing (Civil-Comp 2015). 2015, Prague, Czech Republic: Civil-Comp Press.
- Shaltout RE, Ulianov C, Chen H-M. Coupled numerical modelling of railway track substructure with vehicle-track interaction. In: The Fifteenth International Conference on Civil, Structural and Environmental Engineering Computing. 2015, Prague, Czech Republic: Civil-Comp Press.
- Barbinta CI, Ulianov C, Franklin F, Cretu S. Wheel-rail contact modelling and analysis, considering profiles types and lateral displacement. In: Transport Research Arena, TRA 2014. 2014, Paris, France: IFSTTAR, France.
- Robinson M, Otteborn D, Ulianov C. Monitoring of rail research projects to improve market impact and implementation. In: Transport Research Arena, TRA 2014. 2014, Paris, France: IFSTTAR, France.
- Vasić G, Ulianov C, Defossez F, Palese JW. Investigation and Guidelines on Use of Monitoring Technologies for Preventing and Reducing the Occurrence of Freight Train Derailments. In: 10th World Congress on Railway Research, WCRR 2013. 2013, Sydney, Australia: Informa Australia Pty Ltd.
- Ulianov C, Evans S, Robinson M. Assessment of rail research capabilities of new and potential EU member states. Procedia: Social and Behavioral Sciences 2012, 48, 3492-3507.
- Vasić G, Ulianov C, Kozyr G, Robinson M. Holistic Overview of Freight Train Derailments in Europe: Causal and Impact Analysis. In: 10th World Congress on Railway Research, WCRR 2013. 2013, Sydney, Australia: Informa Australia Pty Ltd.
- Robinson M, Velardi L, Ulianov C. Market impact evaluation - the way to judge the success of completed rail research. Procedia: Social and Behavioral Sciences 2012, 48, 663-671.
- Sava O, Lupescu O, Ulianov C, Sava A, Achitei D. Research Regarding the Mechanical Treatment Through Rotorolling of the Cylindrical Surfaces Without Steps. International Journal of Modern Manufacturing Technologies 2011, III(1), 87-92.
- Ulianov C, Cohal V, Tiron M, Serb A. Micro Electro Discharge Machining (µEDM) With a Conventional EDM Machine. Buletinul Institutului Politehnic din Iaşi, Fasc. 5C, Section Machine Manufacturing 2006, LII (LVI), 971-977.
- Lupescu O, Popa IC, Ulianov C, Popa R. Siguranţa în funcţionare a echipamentelor tehnologice industriale (Reliability of Industrial Technological Equipment). Iasi: ModTech Publishing House, 2010.
- Serb A, Ulianov C. Proiectarea structurilor sudate în construcţii de maşini (Design of Welded Structures in Machine Manufacturing). Iasi: TehnoPress, 2003.
- Ulianov C. Procedee speciale de sudare (Special Welding Processes). Moldova: Tehnica-Info, 2001.
- Ulianov C, Buciuman I. Benchmark of Freight Rolling Stock & Performance Testing. In: Club Feroviar Conferences 2012 - Efficient Rail Freight Transport for Competitive Logistics Services. 2012, Constanţa, Turkey.
- Ulianov C, Gibson AG, Robinson AM. Probabilistic and Statistical Modelling of Long-term Behaviour of Composites Structures. In: Deformation and Fracture of Composites Conference, DFC10. 2009, Sheffield.
- Scurtu-Popa R, Popa IC, Lupescu O, Ulianov C. Upon the spare parts stocks utilization in technological equipments predictive maintenance. In: Modern Technologies, Quality and Innovation - ModTech. 2009, Iasi.
- Lupescu O, Pruteanu O, Ulianov C, Popa R. Researches upon the technological equipment maintenance management. In: XVth International Conference Machine-Building Technologies and Technosphere Of The XXIst Century. 2008, Sevastopol.
- Ulianov C, Onder A, Peng Q. Analysis and selection of materials for the design of lightweight railway vehicles. In: 2nd International Conference on New Material and Chemical Industry (NMCI2017). 2018, Sanya, China: Institute of Physics Publishing.
- Peng Q, Ni X, Han F, Rhaman K, Ulianov C, Fang X. Research on connection structure of aluminum body bus using multi-objective topology optimization. In: 2nd International Conference on New Material and Chemical Industry (NMCI2017). 2018, Sanya, China: Institute of Physics Publishing.