Dr Roberto Palacin
Rail Systems Group Lead and Degree Program Director for Mechanical & Systems Engineering
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 6829
- Personal Website: http://www.newrail.org
- Address: 2nd Floor, Stephenson Building,
Newcastle upon Tyne
Senior academic leading the Railway Systems Research Group at NewRail, I have a background in Mechanical Engineering, Design and Railway Systems Engineering. I have been involved in research projects on subjects such as strategic development of transport systems, energy efficiency of urban and mainline rail systems, urban mobility and sustainability, development of innovative railway concepts, energy optimisation of rail systems, intermodality of the European rail network and development of modular concepts for high-speed.
My research interests revolve around the two main aspects, application of a systems approach to energy conservation and human-systems interaction and include mobility and mass-capacity in the context of MaaS (urban and long distance), improving railways energy efficiency, connectivity and the development of ergonomic and design-led railway environments.
I am currently Principal Investigator (PI)/CO-I for
- MyCorridor, a H2020 funded initiative exploring the paradigm-shift revolution of Mobility as a Service (MaaS). the research includes investigations on the business models, technological and behavioural challenges of deploying this concept on international corridors. I am the overall coordinator of this large project;
- SETRIS, a H2020 project that aims at delivering a cohesive and coordinated approach to research and innovation strategies for all transport modes in Europe, where my role is to lead the passenger mobility strategy;
- OPEUS, a Shift2Rail JU (www.shift2rail.org) funded project seeking the development of modelling and strategies for the assessment and optimisation of energy usage aspects of rail innovation. I am the overall coordinator and also involved in all areas of research including model development and energy outlook;
- Z_LIM a UK funded project investigating predictable and optimised braking for rail systems applying the concept of a linear induction motor that instead of using an integrated primary and secondary unit, it separates them using the existing running rails as the secondary placing the primary component attached to the bogie in the fashion of a eddy current brake. This allows for the generation of forces that are independent of the level of adhesion between wheel and rail, effectively providing a zero wheel-slip effect. I am the overall project director;
- TRA VISIONS 2018 (http://www.travisions.eu) a H2020 funded project coordinating and organising the research completion of surface transport as part of the by-annual TRA conference. I am the overall responsible for the rail competition;
Recently completed research includes the following:
- International Coordination for implementation of innovative and efficient urban mobility solutions (Viajeo Plus), an EU FP7 project seeking the identification and sharing of best practice leading to implementing sustainable urban transport systems in Europe, China, Singapore and latin America;
- Optimal strategy to innovate and reduce energy consumption in urban rail systems (OSIRIS), an FP7 co-funded project where i led the development of a unique set of key performance indicators for energy optimisation urban rail systems (see some of my recent publications on the topic). My contribution to OSIRIS was also related to the definition and development of operational requirements and needs for urban rail systems as well as the integration of technical results and economic assessment for Decision Support;
- Sustainable and intelligent management of energy for smarter railway systems in Europe: an integrated optimisation approach (MERLIN), this research aimed at developing an architecture for the development smart rail systems in a similar fashion to smart grids are related to power distribution grids. I led the development of an architecture and associated tool for strategic decision making (SDMT) as well as being involved in research on developing operational and strategic approaches to improve the energy efficiency of railways.;
- integrated optimal capacity, safety and energy strategies at multiple nodes (SafeCap ). A UK funded project using formal methods for verification applied to the optimisation of rail energy networks. I was part of a multidisciplinary team at Newcastle University co-led with Prof Romanovsky (School of Computing Science) aiming to develop real-time network optimisation tools exploring the trade-off between capacity, safe and energy usage.
Past projects include CleanER-D (Clean European Rail Diesel), EBSF (European Bus System of the Future), MODTRAIN (Innovative modular vehicle concepts for an integrated European railway system), HST Connectivity (study on High Speed rail connectivity in northwest Europe) and RAILTEST (Inventory of Railway Test Installations in Europe and Detection of Synergies between them).
Google scholar: Click here.
SCOPUS: Click here.
Esteem indicators include:
- Selected member of China’s High End Foreign Experts Programme, led by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (2017);
- Invited reviewer for the European Commission’s FP6, FP7 and H2020 research programmes (2008, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018);
- Invited member of the Energy Advisory Group for the €18m international research project Innovative Intelligent Rail (In2Rail);
- Invited advisor to the European S2R Joint Undertaking (www.shift2rail.eu) re-defining the vision and strategy for their €920m multi-annual action plan (MAAP);
- Guest Editor with Prof Tony Roskilly and Prof Yan for a special issue on Clean Transport, Applied Energy Journal (Elsevier), volume157;
- Member of the UITP's academic network representing Newcastle University (ongoing);
- Member of the National Evaluation and Foresight Agency (ANEP), Spain(2006-to date);
- Regular peer reviewer for indexed journals (2008-);
- peer reviewer for the Transport Research Arena-TRA2012 &TRA2014 (2012, 2014)
- Scientific committee member for the International Congress on Rail Technology, 12-14 April, 2010 (Spain);
- Peer reviewer, organising committee member and session chair at the 13th European Conference on Composite Materials (ECCM13), Stockholm (Sweden) 02-05 June 2008
- Expert Member, Working Group on Passenger Intermodality, LINK European Forum (2008)
- Member of the evaluation panel for the CENIT Programme, part of the Centre for the Development of Industrial Technology (CDTI) a Spanish public organisation under the Ministry of Industry and Commerce (2006, 2008).
- Expert Evaluator for the Vienna Technology and Science Fund on the Science for the Creative Industries programme (2006).
- Panel member and speaker at the conference “Beyond Rail”, Brussels, 2006, on the future of high speed rail in Europe;
- Session Chair and speaker at the SAMPLE 2006 Conference, Paris 2006 on the composite materials in transport topic.
- Organising Committee and Speaker at Rail Systems Engineering Conference, Derby (UK),’05
Degree Programme Director (DPD) for Mechanical and Systems Engineering
Modules for the 2017-18 academic year:
- Mechanical Engineering Professional Skills I (MEC1012);
- Design for Industry (MEC3018);
- Design for human systems interaction (MEC8028);
- Rail Environment and Energy (MEC8039);
- Mechanical Engineering Project (MEC3098);
- MSc Project: mechanical & Systems Engineering (MEC8095);
- Project Management Appreciation (SPG8027) MSc Renewable Energy, Enterprise and Management (REEM)/Renewable Energy Flexible Trainning programme (REFLEX)
- Enterprise Project (SPG8094) MSc Renewable Energy, Enterprise and Management (REEM)/Renewable Energy Flexible Trainning programme (REFLEX)
In previous years:
- RailNewcastle Summer School, "Energy Use For Sustainable Rail" plus project supervision
- MEng Mechanical Engineering Stage 4 "Enginering tomorrow's railway" module co-supervision and assessment (MEC4006);
- MEng Mechanical Engineering Stage 4 team project supervision and assessment (MEC8099);
- Annual guest lecture to Supply Chain Management undergraduate students (MKT3011) and Supply Chain postgraduate students (NBS8501);
In addition, i am main supervisor/co-supervisor to a number of PGRs at the Newcastle and Singapore campuses on subjects such as connectivity, energy and capacity aspects of railway systems, subway climatology and others.
- Powell JP, Palacin R. Development and Comparison of Algorithms to Derive Vehicle Location from Speed Profile Data. Urban Rail Transit 2018, e-pub ahead of print.
- Gkemou M, Palacin R, Bekiaris E, Kehagias D, Tzovaras D, Mizaras V, Larios Y. “Mobility as a Service” (MaaS) in a multimodal European cross-border corridor. In: 8th International Congress on Transportation Research (ICTR17), The Future of Transportation: a Vision for 2030. 2017, Thessaloniki, Greece.
- Calatayud A, Mangan J, Palacin R. Connectivity to international markets: A multi-layered network approach. Journal of Transport Geography 2017, 61, 61-71.
- Powell JP, Batty P, González-Gil A, Palacin R. Determining system-wide energy use in an established metro network. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers Part F: Rail and Rapid Transit 2017, 231(5), 570-577.
- Calatayud A, Palacin R, Mangan J. Freight Connectivity to International Markets: a Complex Systems Approach. In: 96th Annual Meeting of the Transportation Research Board. 2017, Washington, DC, USA.
- Calatayud A, Mangan J, Palacin R. The impact of container line networks on port choice. In: Universities Transport Studies Group (UTSG). 2017, Trinity College Dublin, Ireland.
- Rjabovs A, Palacin R. The influence of system design-related factors on the safety performance of metro drivers. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part F: Journal of Rail and Rapid Transit 2017, 231(3), 317-328.
- Calatayud MA, Mangan J, Palacin R. Vulnerability of international freight flows to shipping network disruptions: A multiplex network perspective. Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transport Review 2017, 108, 195-208.
- Powell JP, Palacin R. Driving style for ERTMS in-cab and conventional line side signalling: an exploratory study. IF - Ingegneria Ferroviaria 2016, 71(12), 927-942.
- Palacin R, Golightly D, Ramdas V, Dadashi N. Evaluating the impact of rail research: Principles to maximise innovation uptake. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part F: Journal of Rail and Rapid Transit 2016, 230(7), 1673-1686.
- Aditjandra PT, Zunder TH, Islam DMZ, Palacin R. Green Rail Transportation : Improving Rail Freight to Support Green Corridors. In: Psaraftis, HN, ed. Green Transportation Logistics : The Quest for Win-Win Solutions. Cham, Switzerland: Springer, 2016, pp.413-454.
- Aditjandra PT, Zunder TH, Islam DMZ, Palacin R. Green rail transportation: Improving rail freight to support green corridors. In: International Series in Operations Research and Management Science. Springer New York LLC, 2016, pp.413-454.
- Palacin R. Hyperloop, the Electrification of Mobility, and the Future of Rail Travel. IEEE Electrification Magazine 2016, 4(3), 4-51.
- Suzuki D, Nakai K, Enami S, Palacin R. Relation between secondary impact velocity and behaviour of longitudinal-seat passenger in railway collisions. In: 2016 IRCOBI Conference Proceedings - International Research Council on the Biomechanics of Injury. 2016, International Research Council on the Biomechanics of Injury.
- Palacin R, Vigar G, Peacock S. Transport poverty and mobility. In: Prof. Simin Davoudi and Derek Bell, ed. Justice and fairness in the city. Bristol: Policy Press, 2016, pp.276. In Preparation.
- Calatayud A, Palacin R, Mangan J, Jackson E, Ruiz-Rua A. Understanding connectivity to international markets: a systematic review. Transport Reviews 2016, 36(6), 713-736.
- Powell JP, Palacin R. A comparison of modelled and real-life driving profiles for the simulation of railway vehicle operation. Transportation Planning and Technology 2015, 38(1), 78-93.
- Nakai K, Suzuki D, Enami S, Okino T, Takano J, Palacin R. An Estimation of Behaviour and Severity of Injury to Rail Passengers Occupying Longitudinal Seats in the Event of Collision. In: 2015 Conference Proceedings of the International Research Council on the Biomechanics of Injury (IRCOBI). 2015, Lyon, France: IRCOBI.
- Rjabovs A, Palacin R. Attitudes of metro drivers towards design of immediate physical environment and system layout. Urban Rail Transit 2015, 1(2), 104-111.
- Powell JP, Palacin R. Benchmarking suburban, regional and freight train driving styles in a mixed-traffic railway. In: RailNewcastle Conference. 2015, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK.
- Meinert M, Melzer M, Kamburrow C, Palacin R, Leska M, Aschemann H. Benefits of hybridisation of diesel driven rail vehicles: Energy management strategies and life-cycle costs appraisal. Applied Energy 2015, 157, 897-904.
- Batty P, Palacin R, Gonzalez-Gil A. Challenges and opportunities in developing urban modal shift. Travel Behaviour and Society 2015, 2(2), 109-123.
- Meinert M, Prenleloup P, Schmid S, Palacin R. Energy storage technologies and hybrid architectures for specific diesel-driven rail duty cycles: Design and system integration aspects. Applied Energy 2015, 157, 619-629.
- Roskilly AP, Palacin R, Yan J. Novel technologies and strategies for clean transport systems. Applied Energy 2015, 157, 563-566.
- Gonzalez-Gil A, Palacin R, Batty P. Optimal energy management of urban rail systems: Key performance indicators. Energy Conversion and Management 2015, 90, 282-291.
- Powell J, Palacin R. Passenger stability within moving railway vehicles: Limits on maximum longitudinal acceleration. Urban Rail Transit 2015, 1(2), 95-103.
- Suzuki D, Nakai K, Enami S, Okino T, Takano J, Palacin R. Proposal of Simulation Method for Behaviour Analysis of Passengers on Longitudinal Seating in Railway Collision. In: 2015 Conference Proceedings of the International Research Council on the Biomechanics of Injury (IRCOBI). 2015, Lyon, France: IRCOBI.
- Nakai K, Susuki D, Enami S, Palacin R. Research of standing pasegener's safety on board a train in the event of a train collision. In: Proceedings of the 10th International Symposium Passive Safety of Rail Vehicles. 2015, IFV Bahntechnik. In Preparation.
- Montero G, Onieva L, Palacin R. Selection and implementation of a set of key performance indicators for project management. International Journal of Applied Engineering Research 2015, 10(18), 39473-39484.
- Batty P, Palacin R. The circumvention of barriers to urban rail energy efficiency. Urban Rail Transit 2015, 1(2), 71-77.
- Palacin R. The future of travel and why it doesn't look like Hyperloop. The Conversation Trust, 2015. Available at: https://theconversation.com/the-future-of-rail-travel-and-why-it-doesnt-look-like-hyperloop-45354.
- Calatayud MA, Ruiz-Rua A, Palacin R, Mangan J, Jackson EL. A Novel Concept for Measuring Connectivity to International Markets applied to Transport in Selected Latin-American. In: 18th Pan-American Congress on Transport Engineering and logistics. 2014, Santander, Spain.
- González-Gil A, Palacin R, Batty P, Powell JP. A systems approach to reduce urban rail energy consumption. Energy Conversion and Management 2014, 80, 509-524.
- Iliasov A, Palacin R, Romanovsky A. Advanced Modelling, Simulation and Verification for Future Traffic Regulation Optimisation. In: 6th International Workshop, SERENE 2014. 2014, Budapest, Hungary: Springer.
- Iliasov A, Palacin R, Romanovsky A. Advanced Modelling, Simulation and Verification for Future Traffic Regulation Optimisation. In: SERENE 2014: Software Engineering for Resilient Systems. 2014, Budapest, Hungary: Springer, Cham.
- Powell JP, González-Gil A, Palacin R. Experimental assessment of the energy consumption of urban rail vehicles during stabling hours: influence of ambient temperature. Applied Thermal Engineering 2014, 66(1-2), 541-547.
- Palacin R, Raif L, Deniz O, Yan N. High speed rail trends, technologies and operational patterns: A comparison of established and emerging networks. Transport Problems 2014, 9(Special Edition), 123-129.
- Palacin R, Quinn D, Batty P, Guzman J. Methodology and assessment for deployment of sustainable transport in medium-sized urban conurbations in Ecuador. In: 18th Pan-American Congress in Transport Engineering and logistics. 2014, Santander, Spain.
- Palacin R, Correia J, Zdziech M, Cassese T, Chitakova T. Rail environmental impact: Energy consumption and noise pollution assessment of different transport modes connecting big Ben (London, UK) and Eiffel Tower (Paris, FR). Transport Problems 2014, 9(Special Edition), 9-27.
- Batty P, Palacin R, Gonzalez-Gil A, Jackson R. Addressing the conflicting stakeholder requirements for energy efficiency within urban rail systems. In: 10th World Congress on Railway Research - WCRR 2013. 2013, Sidney, Australia: WCRR.
- Beatrice C, Rispoli N, Di Blasio G, Patrianakos G, Kostoglou M, Konstandopoulos A, Imren A, Denbratt I, Palacin R. Emission Reduction Technologies for the Future Low Emission Rail Diesel Engines: EGR vs SCR. In: 11th International Conference on Engines & Vehicles. 2013, Capri, Napoli: SAE International.
- Ulianov C, Lupescu O, Palacin R. Probabilistic and Statistical Modelling of Long-Term Behaviour of Composites Systems. Progress in Rubber, Plastics & Recycling Technology 2013, 29(4), 189-215.
- Reis V, Meier F, Pace G, Palacin R. Rail and multi-modal transport. Research in Transportation Economics 2013, 41(1), 17-30.
- Gonzalez-Gil A, Palacin R, Batty P. Sustainable urban rail systems: strategies and technologies for optimal management of regenerative braking energy. Energy Conversion and Management 2013, 75, 374-388.
- Ruiz-Rua A, Palacin R. Towards a liberalised European high speed railway sector: Analysis and modelling of competition using Game Theory. European Transport Research Review 2013, 5(1), 53-63.
- Sandor J, Palacin R, Schwarz H, Kamburow C. Towards greener and cleaner rail diesel vehicles. European Railway Review 2013, 19(2), 65-67.
- Palacin R. Advances in after-treatment technologies and alternative fuels. In: 12th UIC Sustainability Conference-the rail way to a greener life. 2012, Venice (Italy): UIC-International Union of Railways.
- Palacin R. Driver advice systems for road and rail: Innovation and transfer potential. In: Technology Convergence Between Road and Rail Traffic Management Systems. 2012, London: IRSE-Institution of railway signalling engineers.
- Palacin R. Ageing and mobility: challenges for a sustainable future. In: World Congress on Rail Research (WCRR11). 2011, Lille, France.
- Palacin R, Powell J. dynamic conditions of urban and suburban railway vehicles: Influence in passenger confort and safety. In: World Congress on Rail Research (WCRR11). 2011, Lille, France.
- Palacin R. Environmental impact of railway systems: Meeting the emissions challenge. Railway Strategies 2011, 152-153.
- Palacin R. Ageing and mobility: transport solutions for older people. In: International Conference on Ageing, Disability and Independence (ICADI). 2010, Gateshead, UK.
- Palacin R. Interior passive safety for Europe: researching ahead. EURAILmag 2010, (22), 30-33.
- Palacin R. International research and innovative approaches to accessibility and mobility. In: Train accesibility targets 2020. 2010, London, UK.
- Palacin R. Making rail interiors safer for passengers. European Commission DG research website: European Commission, 2010. Available at: http://ec.europa.eu/research/transport/news/article_10559_en.html.
- Palacin R. Train interior passive safety principles and advances. In: International Conference on Railway Interiors. 2010, Berlin, Germany.
- Palacin R. Overview of training and research aspects of momentum Marie Curie RTN. In: EU FP6 Aerospace Composite Projects. 2009, AIRBUS (UK).
- Palacin R, Ruiz A. Railway competition: elements of analysis through game theory. Madrid, Spain: International Transport Forum, 2009. .
- Palacin R. Training and research developing a new range of materials for transport. Projects 2009, (13), 98-100.
- Palacin R. [Interview] Network Rail costing make diesel Intercity Express "redundant". Transport Times 2007, (47), 7.
- Palacin R. High speed hybrids design under attack. Transport Times 2007, 37, 9.
- Palacin R, Roberts J. Safer rail interiors by innovative design. In: International Rail Interiors Expo. 2007, Cologne, Germany.
- Palacin R. [Forum presentation] The future of Composites in Transport. Training the next generation of Engineers. Paris, France: JEC, 2006. JEC Composites.
- Palacin R. Composites in transport. Training the next generation of engineers. In: 27th International Conference SAMPE Europe: Latest Advancements of Applied Composites Technology. 2006, Paris, France: Society for the Advancement of Material and Process Engineering.
- Palacín R. High Speed Rail Connectivity. In: Beyond Rail Conference. 2006, Brussels, Belgium.
- Robinson MR, Carruthers J, Palacin R. Lightweighting for mass transit applications. In: JEC Composites (Journees Europeennes du Composites): Mass Transit Proceedings. 2006, Paris: JEC.
- O'Donnell C, Palacín R, Rosinski J. Pantograph damage and wear monitoring systems. In: Railway Condition Monitoring International Conference. 2006, Birmingham, UK.
- Palacin R. Research and innovation requirements for the future generation of composite applications in transport structures. In: 17th SICOMP International Conference on Manufacturing and Design of Composites. 2006, Pitea, Sweden.
- Palacin R. [Interview] Tomorrow's green machines: Rail moves on the right lines. Future Transport Suplement, the Sunday Times 2005.
- Palacin R. Design of rail interiors for accessibility and mobility. In: Rail Interiors Technology Forum. 2005, Cologne, Germany.
- Palacín R. Design-led passenger environment and passenger experience. In: Design for User Experiences - DUX05 2005. 2005, San Francisco, USA: Design User Experience-DUX 2005.
- Palacin R. Interoperability, innovative modular vehicle concepts and certification in Europe: An integration challenge. 2005, York, UK.
- Palacin R, Kemp RJ. Living up to the myth by enhancing sustainability of rail. In: Excellence in Railway Systems Engineering and Integration. 2005, Derby, UK.
- Palacin R, Robinson AM, Neumann L. Railway testing and certification in Europe: An integration challenge. In: INNOTRANS 2004. 2004, Berlin, Germany.
- Palacin R. The distribution dilema. 2002. Container Management, 14-17.
- Palacin, R.,Robinson, A.M. Faster, better, cheaper. 2000. Container Management, (issue 187), 76-77.
- Palacin R, Robinson M. Intermodalism: faster, better, cheaper. Container Management 2000, 187, 76-77.