- Project Dates: From October 2013 to September 2017
- Project Leader: Tom Zunder
- Staff: Dewan Islam, Clare Woroniuk
- Sponsors: European Commission
- Partners: UIC + 46 others
How to obtain an affordable, adaptable, automated, resilient and high-capacity railway for 2020, 2030 and 2050?
CAPACITY4RAIL aims to answer this question. Efficiency will be mostly achieved by ensuring at low cost a high level of capacity and availability of the network.
CAPACITY4RAIL looks towards 2030/2050, by proposing guidelines for future deployments in the mid-term, recommendations for technologies to be developed and deployed in the long term and investigating the key opportunities for funding these within national and EU funding schemes.
In order to best address this approach the project has been broken down into six sub-projects. These are:
- SP1 Infrastructure
- SP2 New Concepts for Efficient Freight systems
- SP3 Operations for enhanced capacity
- SP4 Advanced monitoring
- SP5 System assessment and migration to 2030/2050
- SP6 Management, dissemination, training & exploitation
NewRail will be a major partner in SP2 and SP3.
Contact Project Leader: Tom Zunder