Urology Foundation Research Scholar
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Advanced prostate cancer remains incurable and accounts for over 10,000 deaths in the UK each year. Mitochondria are the powerhouse or batteries of cells, and are increasingly thought to play a role in the development and progression of prostate cancer. As part of my PhD, I am currently looking into whether age-related accumulation of mitochondrial DNA mutations truly contributes to prostate cancer development. By better understanding the potential role mitochondrial DNA mutations have in prostate carcinogenesis, I hope to ultimately identify new targets for treatment of prostate cancer.
- Urology Foundation Research Scholar (based jointly at the Northern Institute for Cancer Research and the Wellcome Trust Centre for Mitochondrial Research)
- Specialty Registrar (StR) in Urological Surgery
- MB BS, Newcastle University
- MSc in Interdisciplinary Medicine & Engineering, University of Manchester
- MRCS, The Royal College of Surgeons of England
- PGCert in Clinical Research, Newcastle University
- British Medical Association
- British Association of Urological Surgeons
- European Association of Urology
Areas of Interest
- Prostate carcinogenesis
- Mitochondrial dysfunction
- Transgenic models of prostate cancer
- Novel technologies (including infrared spectroscopy)
- Clinical outcomes research
- JGW Patterson Foundation, 2017-19
- The Urology Foundation & Rosetrees Trust Research Scholarship, 2016-18
- The Urology Foundation Research Scholarship, 2015-16
- Cancer Research UK Research Bursary, 2014-15
- The UCLH Charity, 2013
- Isaac Shapera Award for Medical Research, 2013
- University of Manchester Intellectual Property, 2010
- Canfarotta F, Czulak J, Betlem K, Sachdeva A, Eersels K, van Grinsven B, Cleij TJ, Peeters M. A novel thermal detection method based on molecularly imprinted nanoparticles as recognition elements. Nanoscale 2018, 10(4), 2081-2089.
- Stamp C, Zupanic A, Sachdeva A, Stoll EA, Shanley DP, Mathers JC, Kirkwood TBL, Heer R, Simons BD, Turnbull DM, Greaves LC. Predominant Asymmetrical Stem Cell Fate Outcome Limits the Rate of Niche Succession in Human Colonic Crypts. EBioMedicine 2018, 31, 166-173.
- Sachdeva A, Veeratterapillay R, Voysey A, Kelly K, Johnson MI, Aning J, Soomro NA. Positive surgical margins and biochemical recurrence following minimally-invasive radical prostatectomy - An analysis of outcomes from a UK tertiary referral centre. BMC Urology 2017, 17(1), 91.
- Sachdeva A, El-Sherif A, Turnbull D, Greaves L, Heer R. Development of prostate intra-epithelial neoplasia in an aging series of PolgA mutator mice suggests a role for mitochondrial DNA mutations in prostate carcinogenesis. In: EAU16 – 31st Annual Congress of the European Association of Urology. 2016, Munich, Germany: Elsevier.
- Ong LP, Sachdeva A, Ramesh BC, Muse H, Wallace K, Parry G, Clark SC. Lung transplant with cardiopulmonary bypass: Impact of blood transfusion on rejection, function & late mortality. Annals of Thoracic Surgery 2016, 101(2), 512-519.
- Ong LP, Thompson E, Sachdeva A, Ramesh BC, Muse H, Wallace K, Parry G, Clark SC. Allogeneic blood transfusion in bilateral lung transplantation: impact on early function and mortality. European Journal of Cardio-Thoracic Surgery 2015.
- Sachdeva A, vanderMeulen J, Emberton M, Cathcart PJ. Evaluating variation in use of definitive therapy and risk-adjusted prostate cancer mortality in England and the USA. BMJ Open 2015, 5(2), e006805.
- Bassan P, Sachdeva A, Shanks JH, Brown MD, Clarke NW, Gardner P. Automated high-throughput assessment of prostate biopsy tissue using infrared spectroscopic chemical imaging. SPIE Proceedings 2014, 9041, 90410D-10.
- Sachdeva A, Dalton M, Amaragiri SV, Lees T. Graduated compression stockings for prevention of deep vein thrombosis. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2014, (12), CD001484.
- Bassan P, Sachdeva A, Lee J, Gardner P. Substrate contributions in micro-ATR of thin samples: implications for analysis of cells, tissue and biological fluids. Analyst 2013, 138(14), 4139-4146.
- Bassan P, Lee J, Sachdeva A, Pissardini J, Dorling KM, Fletcher JS, Henderson A, Gardner P. The inherent problem of transflection-mode infrared spectroscopic microscopy and the ramifications for biomedical single point and imaging applications. Analyst 2013, 138(1), 144-157.
- Bassan P, Sachdeva A, Shanks JH, Brown MD, Clarke NW, Gardner P. Whole organ cross-section chemical imaging using label-free mega-mosaic FTIR microscopy. Analyst 2013, 138(23), 7066-7069.
- Bassan P, Sachdeva A, Kohler A, Hughes C, Henderson A, Boyle J, Shanks JH, Brown M, Clarke NW, Gardner P. FTIR microscopy of biological cells and tissue: data analysis using resonant Mie scattering (RMieS) EMSC algorithm. Analyst 2012.
- Sachdeva A, Bansal RC, Bailey LL, Razzouk AJ. Late Outcome after Repair of Mitral Valve Rupture during Balloon Atrial Septostomy in a Neonate. Texas Heart Institute Journal 2011, 38(4), 412-414.
- Sachdeva A, Dalton M, Amaragiri SV, Lees T. Elastic compression stockings for prevention of deep vein thrombosis. COCHRANE DATABASE OF SYSTEMATIC REVIEWS 2010, (7).
- Hughes C, Liew M, Sachdeva A, Bassan P, Dumas P, Hart CA, Brown MD, Clarke NW, Gardner P. SR-FTIR spectroscopy of renal epithelial carcinoma side population cells displaying stem cell-like characteristics. Analyst 2010.