Professor Helen Reeves
Professor of Liver Cancer & Honorary Consultant Gastroenterologist
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 4423
- Fax: +44 (0) 191 208 4301
- Address: Northern Institute for Cancer Research
Paul O'Gorman Building
Newcastle upon Tyne
I am an academic hepatologist, looking after patients with primary liver cancer. My long term goal is to improve outcomes for these patients, in part by developing tools to detect their cancers earlier, but also by identifying novel therapeutic candidates to take forward into clinical use, alongside the biomarkers needed to implement them.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
My clinical role is that of lead physician within the Hepatopancreatobiliary (HPB) Newcastle Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, co-ordinating the care of patients with hepatocellular cancer in Northern England.
My research role and responsibility is that of a senior lecturer and lead PI in the Hepatopancreatobiliary group in the Northern Institute for cancer research. I work closely with Dr Ruchi Shukla, who has recently joined the group, as well as with Professor John Lunec and Professor Steven Wedge form the NICR, as well as with Dr Fiona Oakley and Dina Tiniakos from ICM. We presently supervise 4 PhD students, with two more joining the group in September.
I have just completed 3 years serving as the UK representative on the European Association for Study of the Liver (EASL) governing board.
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
- Clinical management of patients with liver cancer
- Biomarker discovery and development for patients with liver cancer
- Molecular and environmental regulation of liver cancer progression
- 1998 BMedSci (Hons) 2:1 (Nottingham University Medical School, UK)
- 1990 BM.BS. (Nottingham University Medical School, UK)
- 1993 Member of Royal College of Physicians (London, UK)
- 1995-1997 Wellcome Trust Clinical Training Fellowship
- 2000 PhD (University of Newcastle upon Tyne, UK)
- 2000 Peel Medical research Trust Travel Fellowship
- 2000-2002 American Association for Study of Liver Diseases Fellowship
- 2003-2008 GlaxoSmithKline Senior Fellowship
- 2005 Member of Association of Physicians
- 2007 Fellow Royal College Physicians (London, UK)
- 2007 Founding Member ILCA (International Liver Cancer Association)
- 2011-2014 British Association Cancer Research – Committee Member
- 2012 Founding member HCC-UK
- 2013-2016 European Association for Study of the Liver Governing Board – UK representative
AWARDS AND PRIZES
- 1994 British Liver Trust laboratory support grant
- 1995-1997 Wellcome Trust Clinical Training Fellowship
- 1997 Dewar Research Prize, Northern Association of Physicians
- 2000 Peel Medical Research Trust Travel Award
- 2001-2002 American Association for Study of Liver Diseases Fellowship
- 2002-2008 GlaxoSmithKline Senior Fellowship
- 2003-2005 European Brewers Association Project Grant - (Gene profiling in ALD) (PI)
- 2004-2006 Newcastle Special Trustees Set up Grant (KLF6 in Colorectal cancer) (PI)
- 2004 LiverNorth Laboratory Support grant (PI)
- 2005 Newcastle Special Trustees Award (DNA damage in Pancreatic cancer) (PI)
- 2009 Newcastle Special Trustees Award (Gene profiling in NAFLD) (PI)
- 2009-2013 LiverNorth & patient donations PhD studentship (DNA-PK in HCC) (PI)
- 2011-2012 The Dowager Countess Eleanor Peel Trust pilot – chemotherapy induced liver injury (PI)
FUNDING 2010 onwards
- FP7 European framework programme - Project Grant: FLIP – Fatty Liver Inhibition of Progression. Sub-project: HCC in NAFLD and HCC. 2010 - 2014. 1.3 million Euro (Subproject PI value €273,000).
- Newcastle Medical Faculty & Newcastle Cancer Centre studentship - Detection of circulating tumour cells in Liver cancer patients using the Imagestream system. 2011- 2014. £76,737 – Principal Investigator
- Newcastle Cancer Centre Pump-priming Consumable Award - Detection of circulating tumour cells in NAFLD patients with HCC, using the Imagestream system. 2011- 2013. £22,500 – Principal Investigator.
- EU H2020 Programme, EPOS – Elucidating Pathways of Steatohepatitis. €6,000,000, 2015-2019. Co-investigator, Sub-project PI – SULF2 in HCC development and progression.
- EASL Registry Grant, ‘The European NAFLD Registry’, €50,000 2015-2017. Co-investigator
- CRUK and ASTEX Alliance – Newcastle Cancer Centre Drug Discovery Programme. £3,500,000; 2012-2018, Collaborator.
- Cancer Research UK PhD Studentship. Translating novel therapeutic approaches into treatments for patients with hepatocellular cancer. Co-supervisor. 2013-2017.
- MRC Confidence in Concept. RNASeq to identify candidate drivers of non-alcoholic fatty liver disease progression to fibrosis and hepatocellular carcinoma. £41,500, 2015-2016. Principal Investigator
- Cancer Research UK PhD studentship. Neutrophils as drivers of hepatocellular carcinoma progression – predictive biomarker and target for therapeutic intervention? 2016 - 2020; Principal Investigator.
- MRC MICA- Exploring a new perspective on the mechanism of action of glucokinase activators in liver: a preclinical study. 3 years. £746,548. 2016-2019. Co-investigator
- CMAL (CR UK/Medimmune Alliance) collaboration - Exploring SULF2 as a therapeutic target in HCC.
- CRUK Programme Grant - Towards Targeting Neutrophils for Hepatocellular Carcinoma. 5 years. Joint PI
Google scholar: Click here.
SCOPUS: Click here.
LIVER CANCER RESEARCH GROUP
Target discovery and validation
Our group is exploring the molecular pathogenesis of hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) arising on a background of obesity, diabetes and non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD). We are particularly interested in the role played by the diseased tumour microenvironment / extracellular matrix in cancer development and progression. We have developed a dietary model where mice fed a high fat and high sugar diet develop NAFLD and HCC and we have been exploring this for novel targets to exploit as preventive or antitumour therapies. These include a sulfatase (SULF2) which is overexpressed in tumour activated stromal cells, that alters the sulfation status of matrix molecules, receptors and ligands for signalling pathways, up-regulating growth and migration. We are also studying the contribution of inflammatory cells such as neutrophils in HCC development and progression. An associated interest is in the response to damage that occurs in cancer cells – either as a result of inflammation related damage or chemo-radiotherapies. We have shown that the cancers survive damage and resist treatment partially as a result of increased DNA damage repair – DNA-PK in particular. We are exploring DNA-PK inhibition in models of HCC.
Prognostic and predictive biomarker development
HCC is the 6th most common cancer worldwide, but actually the 2nd commonest cause of cancer death. This is because the majority of those affected present at an advanced stage, with poor liver function consequent to underlying chronic liver disease, and we have no effective treatments. We do know that early detection of HCC in patients with cirrhosis can result in cure. It is tragic therefore, that even though we know the patient group at risk, we do not have effective screening or surveillance tools. With our liver group colleagues in the institute of cellular medicine, we have an interest in identifying genetic markers associated with HCC risk. With national and international collaborators, we are also exploring serum surveillance biomarkers. For patients in who we diagnose an HCC, it is often hard to know which treatment is best for them. This is partly because we rarely have tissue from their cancer – the diagnosis is usually made on imaging and biopsy is risky. So we have no robust biomarkers to know if one or other treatment is best. Guidelines advise treatment based largely on the risk of making liver function worse, rather than shrinking a tumour. We have a major interest therefore, in emerging ‘liquid biopsy’ tools – circulating tumour cells, circulating tumour DNA. We are exploring these methods in hope that we will be able to stratify treatment for our patients, as well as monitor responses, more effectively. We do this alongside characterising tissue samples changes in those patients where we have them – looking at SULF2 and DNA-PK amongst other things. To support these translational studies, we have created a liver cancer tissue bank, which presently has donated samples from over 500 of our patients with HCC.
- Informal clinical ward based teaching on a monthly basis
- Lecturer on medical students on the yearly liver course
- Undergraduate tutor
- Undergraduate students
- Lecturer to Gastroenterology SpRs
- Lecturer to Oncology SpRs
- Lecturer to Transplant co-ordinators
- Informal ward based clinical teaching
- Non- clinical - 4 PhD students
- Burt AD, Alves V, Bedossa P, Clouston A, Guido M, Hübscher S, Kakar S, Ng I, Park YN, Reeves H, Wyatt J, Yeh MM, Ellis DW. Data set for the reporting of intrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma, perihilar cholangiocarcinoma and hepatocellular carcinoma: recommendations from the International Collaboration on Cancer Reporting (ICCR). Histopathology 2018.
- Donati B, Dongiovanni P, Romeo S, Meroni M, McCain M, Miele L, Petta S, Maier S, Rosso C, De Luca L, Vanni E, Grimaudo S, Romagnoli R, Colli F, Ferri F, Mancina R, Iruzubieta P, Craxi A, Fracanzani A, Grieco A, Corradini S, Aghemo A, Colombo M, Soardo G, Bugianesi E, Reeves H, Anstee Q, Fargion S, Valenti L. MBOAT7 rs641738 variant and hepatocellular carcinoma in non-cirrhotic individuals. Scientific Reports 2017, 7, 4492.
- Margetts J, Ogle LF, Chan SL, Chan AWH, Chan KCA, Jamieson D, Willoughby CE, Mann DA, Wilson CL, Manas DM, Yeo W, Reeves HL. Neutrophils: driving progression and poor prognosis in hepatocellular carcinoma?. British Journal of Cancer 2017, Epub ahead of print.
- Al-Oanzi ZH, Fountana S, Moonira T, Tudhope SJ, Petrie JL, Alshawi A, Patman G, Arden C, Reeves HL, Agius L. Opposite effects of a glucokinase activator and metformin on glucose-regulated gene expression in hepatocytes. Diabetes, Obesity and Metabolism 2017, 19(8), 1078-1087.
- Donati B, Pietrelli A, Pingitore P, Dongiovanni P, Caddeo A, Walker L, Baselli G, Pelusi S, Rosso C, Vanni E, Daly A, Mancina RM, Grieco A, Miele L, Grimaudo S, Craxi A, Petta S, De Luca L, Maier S, Soardo G, Bugianesi E, Colli F, Romagnoli R, Anstee QM, Reeves HL, Fracanzani AL, Fargion S, Romeo S, Valenti L. Telomerase reverse transcriptase germline mutations and hepatocellular carcinoma in patients with nonalcoholic fatty liver disease. Cancer Medicine 2017, 6(8), 1930-1940.
- Barbier-Torres L, Iruzubieta P, Fernández-Ramos D, Delgado TC, Taibo D, Guitiérrez-de-Juan V, Varela-Rey M, Azkargorta M, Navasa N, Fernández-Tussy P, Zubiete-Franco I, Simon J, Lopitz-Otsoa F, Lachiondo-Ortega S, Crespo J, Masson S, McCain MV, Villa E, Reeves H, Elortza F, Lucena MI, Hernández-Alvarez MI, Zorzano A, Andrade RJ, Lu SC, Mato JM, Anguita J, Rincon M, Martínez-Chantar ML. The mitochondrial negative regulator MCJ is a therapeutic target for acetaminophen-induced liver injury. Nature Communications 2017, 8, 2068.
- Kolly P, Reeves H, Sangro B, Knöpfli M, Candinas D, Dufour JF. Assessment of the Hong Kong Liver Cancer Staging System in Europe. Liver International 2016, 36(6), 911-917.
- Willoughby CE, Reeves HL. Combination PARP and HDAC inhibition as a therapeutic strategy targeting liver cancer stem cells?. Chinese Clinical Oncology 2016, 5(5), 14-14.
- Than NN, Ghazanfar A, Hodson J, Tehami N, Coldham C, Mergental H, Manas D, Shah T, Newsome PN, Reeves H, Shetty S. Comparing clinical presentations, treatments and outcomes of hepatocellular carcinoma due to hepatitis C and non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. QJM 2016, HCW151.
- Reuillon T, Alhasan SF, Beale GS, Bertoli A, Brennan A, Cano C, Reeves HL, Newell DR, Golding BT, Miller DC, Griffin RJ. Design and synthesis of biphenyl and biphenyl ether inhibitors of sulfatases. Chemical Science 2016, 7(4), 2821-2826.
- Colombo M, Forner A, Ijzermans I, Paradis V, Reeves H, Vilgrain V, Zucman-Rossi J. EASL Clinical Practice Guidelines on the management of benign liver tumours. Journal of Hepatology 2016, 65(2), 386-398.
- Reeves HL, Zaki MYW, Day CP. Hepatocellular Carcinoma in Obesity, Type 2 Diabetes, and NAFLD. Digestive Diseases and Sciences 2016, 61(5), 1234-1245.
- Dent BM, Ogle LF, O'Donnell RL, Hayes N, Mallick U, Curtin NJ, Boddy AV, Plummer ER, Edmondson RJ, Reeves HL, May FEB, Jamieson D. High-resolution imaging for the detection and characterisation of circulating tumour cells from patients with oesophageal, hepatocellular, thyroid and ovarian cancers. International Journal of Cancer 2016, 138(1), 206-216.
- Ogle LF, Orr JG, Willoughby CE, Hutton C, McPherson S, Plummer R, Boddy AV, Curtin NC, Jamieson D, Reeves HL. Imagestream detection and characterisation of circulating tumour cells - a liquid biopsy for Hepatocellular Carcinoma?. Journal of Hepatology 2016, 65(2), 305–313.
- Elameer M, French J, Manas D, Stenberg B, Reeves H, Littler P, Hammond J. Implementation of a one-stop multidisciplinary clinic for liver-directed therapy in patients with primary or secondary liver malignancies. In: Association of Upper Gastrointestinal Surgeons of Great Britain and Ireland, 19th Annual Scientific Meeting. 2016, Leeds: John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
- Toyoda H, Lai PBS, O'Beirne J, Chong CC, Berhane S, Reeves H, Manas D, Fox RP, Yeo W, Mo F, Chan AWH, Tada T, Iñarrairaegui M, Vogel A, Schweitzer N, Chan SL, Sangro B, Kumada T, Johnson PJ. Long-term impact of liver function on curative therapy for hepatocellular carcinoma: application of the ALBI grade. British Journal of Cancer 2016, 114, 744-750.
- Berhane S, Toyoda H, Tada T, Kumada T, Kagebayashi C, Satomura S, Schweitzer N, Vogel A, Manns MP, Benckert J, Berg T, Ebker M, Best J, Dechene A, Gerken G, Schlaak JF, Weinmann A, Worns MA, Galle P, Yeo W, Mo F, Chan SL, Reeves H, Cox T, Johnson P. Role of the GALAD and BALAD-2 Serologic Models in Diagnosis of Hepatocellular Carcinoma and Prediction of Survival in Patients. Clinical Gastroenterology and Hepatology 2016, 14(6), 875-886.
- Alhasan SF, Haugk B, Ogle LF, Beale GS, Long A, Burt AD, Tiniakos D, Televantou D, Coxon F, Newell DR, Charnley R, Reeves HL. Sulfatase-2: a prognostic biomarker and candidate therapeutic target in patients with pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma. British Journal of Cancer 2016, 115(7), 797-804.
- Zaki MYW, Reeves HL. The genetic heterogeneity of hepatocellular carcinoma and the implications for personalised medicine. Translational Cancer Research 2016, 5(Supplement 1), S1-S4.
- Macheka S, Jamieson D, Reeves H, McCain M. The isolation and characterisation of circulating tumour cells from patients with hepatocellular carcinoma. In: 6th Christie International Student Cancer Conference. 2016, Manchester: International Institute of Anticancer Research.
- Shariff MIF, Kim JU, Ladep GN, Crossey MME, Koomson LK, Zabron A, Reeves H, Cramp M, Ryder S, Greer S, Cox IJ, Williams R, Holmes E, Nash K, Taylor-Robinson SD. Urinary Metabotyping of Hepatocellular Carcinoma in a UK Cohort Using Proton Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy. Journal of Clinical and Experimental Hepatology 2016, 6(3), 186-194.
- Johnson PJ, Berhane S, Kagebayashi C, Satomura S, Teng M, Reeves HL, O'Beirne J, Fox R, Skowronska A, Palmer D, Yeo W, Mo F, Lai P, Inarrairaegui M, Chan SL, Sangro B, Miksad R, Tada T, Kumada T, Toyoda H. Assessment of Liver Function in Patients With Hepatocellular Carcinoma: A New Evidence-Based Approach - The ALBI Grade. Journal of Clinical Oncology 2015, 33(6), 550-558.
- Kolly P, Reeves HL, Sangro B, Knopfli M, Candinas D, Dufour JF. Assessment of the Hong Kong Liver Cancer Staging System in Europe. In: International Liver Congress 2015 - 50th Annual meeting of the European Association for the Study of the Liver. 2015, Vienna, Austria: Elsevier.
- Cornell L, Munck JM, Alsinet C, Villanueva A, Ogle L, Willoughby CE, Televantou D, Thomas HD, Jackson J, Burt AD, Newell D, Rose J, Manas DM, Shapiro GI, Curtin NJ, Reeves HL. DNA-PK-A Candidate Driver of Hepatocarcinogenesis and Tissue Biomarker That Predicts Response to Treatment and Survival. Clinical Cancer Research 2015, 21(4), 925-933.
- Whitehead A, Patman GL, Deuschle U, Day CP, Kremoser C, Tiniakos DG, Anstee QM, Reeves HL, FLIP Investigators FP7 2007-2013 H. Effects of FXR agonist PX20606 on tumour formation in animal models of non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. In: The International Liver Congress 2015 - 50th Annual meeting of the European Association for the Study of the Liver. 2015, Vienna, Austria: Elsevier.
- Reeves HL, Aisen AM. Hepatocellular Carcinoma: Optimal Staging Impacts Survival. Gastroenterology 2015, 148(7), 1274-1276.
- Whitehead A, Ogle L, Patman GL, Anwar G, Tiniakos DG, Anstee QM, Reeves HL, FLIP Investigators FP7 2007-2013 H. Ras and p-ERK in metabolic syndrome associated Hepatocellular Carcinoma (HCC). In: 50th Annual Meeting of the European Association for the Study of the Liver. 2015, Vienna, Austria: Elsevier.
- Miller DC, Carbain B, Beale GS, Alhasan SF, Reeves HL, Baisch U, Newell DR, Golding BT, Griffin RJ. Regioselective sulfamoylation at low temperature enables concise syntheses of putative small molecule inhibitors of sulfatases. Organic & Biomolecular Chemistry 2015, 13(18), 5279-5284.
- Piguet AC, Saran U, Simillion C, Keller I, Terracciano L, Reeves HL, Dufour JF. Regular exercise decreases liver tumors development in hepatocyte-specific PTEN-deficient mice independently of steatosis. Journal of Hepatology 2015, 62(6), 1296-1303.
- Berhane S, Toyoda H, Tada T, Kumada T, Kagebayashi C, Satomura S, Schweitzer N, Vogel A, Manns M, Benckert J, Berg T, Best J, Dechene A, Gerken G, Schlaak J, Reeves HL, Johnson P. The 'Galad Score' for serological Detection of Hepatocellular Cercinoma: International Validation and Assesment of the Influence of Tumor size and Aetiology on Model Utility. In: 50th Annual meeting of the European Association for the Study of the Liver. 2015, Vienna, Austria: Elsevier.
- Gautheron J, Vucur M, Reisinger F, Cardenas DV, Roderburg C, Koppe C, Kreggenwinkel K, Schneider AT, Bartneck M, Neumann UP, Canbay A, Reeves HL, Luedde M, Tacke F, Trautwein C, Heikenwalder M, Luedde T. A positive feedback loop between RIP3 and JNK controls non-alcoholic steatohepatitis. EMBO Molecular Medicine 2014, 6(8), 1062-1074.
- Liu Y-L, Patman GL, Leathart J, Piguet A-C, Burt AD, Dufour J-F, Day CP, Daly AK, Reeves HL, Anstee QM. Carriage of the PNPLA3 rs738409 C>G Polymorphism Confers an Increased Risk of Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease Associated Hepatocellular Carcinoma. Journal of Hepatology 2014, 61(1), 75-81.
- Dyson J, Jaques B, Chattopadyhay D, Lochan R, Graham J, Das D, Aslam T, Patanwala I, Gaggar S, Cole M, Sumpter K, Stewart S, Rose J, Hudson M, Manas D, Reeves HL. Hepatocellular cancer: The impact of obesity, type 2 diabetes and a multidisciplinary team. Journal of Hepatology 2014, 60(1), 110-117.
- Johnson PJ, Pirrie SJ, Cox TF, Berhane S, Teng M, Palmer D, Morse J, Hull D, Patman G, Kagebayashi C, Hussain S, Graham J, Reeves H, Satomura S. The Detection of Hepatocellular Carcinoma Using a Prospectively Developed and Validated Model Based on Serological Biomarkers. Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers & Prevention 2014, 23(1), 144-153.
- Liu Y-L, Reeves HL, Burt AD, Tiniakos D, McPherson S, Leathart JBS, Allison MED, Alexander GJ, Piguet A-C, Anty R, Donaldson P, Aithal GP, Francque S, VanGaal L, Clement K, Ratziu V, Dufour J-F, Day CP, Daly AK, Anstee QM. TM6SF2 rs58542926 Influences Hepatic Fibrosis Progression in Patients with Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease. Nature Communications 2014, 5, 1-6.
- Whitehead A, Patman GL, Cornell L, Televantou D, Curtin N, Day CP, Burt AD, Piguet AC, Dufour JF, Anstee QM, Reeves HL, FLIP Investigators FP7-2007-2013. A Role for DNA Repair Protein Kinase (DNA-PK) in the Progression of Simple Steatosis to Steatohepatitis (NASH)?. In: 48th Annual meeting of the European Association for the Study of the Liver. 2013, Amsterdam, The Netherlands: Elsevier Science BV.
- Patman GL, Televantou D, Whitehead A, Day CP, Oakley F, Mann DA, Burt AD, Anstee QM, Reeves HL, FLIP Investigators FP7-2007-2013. Mild Steatosis and Impaired Glucose Tolerance are Associated with Liver Cancer Development, While Progression to Nash Increases Number/Size in an Animal Model of NAFLD. In: 48th Annual meeting of the European Association for the Study of the Liver. 2013, Amsterdam, Netherlands: Elsevier BV.
- Patman GL, Televantou D, Whitehead A, Oakley F, Mann DA, Burt AD, Anstee QA, Reeves HL. NAFLD progression to NASH, fibrosis and hepatocellular cancer - development of a robust animal model. Journal of Hepatology 2013. In Preparation.
- Bechmann LP, Vetter D, Ishida J, Hannivoort RA, Lang UE, Kocabayoglu P, Fiel MI, Muñoz U, Patman GL, Ge F, Yakar S, Li X, Agius L, Lee YM, Zhang W, Hui KY, Televantou D, Schwartz GJ, Leroith D, Berk PD, Nagai R, Suzuki T, Reeves HL, Friedman SL. Post-transcriptional activation of PPAR alpha by KLF6 in hepatic steatosis. Journal of Hepatology 2013, 58(5), 1000-1006.
- Patman GL, Televantou D, Whitehead A, Piguet AC, Dufour JF, Day CP, Burt AD, Mann DA, Reeves HL. Sulfatase-2 (SULF2) Expressed in Hepatocytes and Stromal Cells Contributes to the Development of Steatosis, the Progression of NAFLD to Fibrosis and the Advancement of Cancer. In: 48th Annual meeting of the European Association for the Study of the Liver. 2013, Amsterdam, The Netherlands: Elsevier.
- Petrie JL, Patman GL, Sinha I, Alexander TD, Reeves HL, Agius L. The rate of production of uric acid by hepatocytes is a sensitive index of compromised cell ATP homeostasis. American Journal of Physiology 2013, 305(10), E1255-E1265.
- Bechmann LP, Gastaldelli A, Vetter D, Patman GL, Pascoe L, Hannivoort RA, Lee UE, Fiel I, Muñoz U, Ciociaro D, Buzzigoli E, Miele L, Hui KY, Bugianesi E, Burt AD, Day CP, Mari A, Agius L, Walker M, Friedman SL, Reeves HL. Glucokinase links Krüppel-like factor 6 to the regulation of hepatic insulin sensitivity in nonalcoholic fatty liver disease. Hepatology 2012, 55(4), 1083-1093.
- Alhasan SF, Beale GS, Newell DR, Reeves HL. Suppression of SULF2, an extracellular endosulfatase up-regulated in hepatocellular cancers, modulates WNT signalling and inhibits cell growth. In: Digestive Disorders Federation Meeting. 2012, Liverpool, UK: BMJ Group.
- Patman GL, Anstee Q, Reeves HL. Hepatocellular Carcinoma in NASH: Is there a biological Rationale?. In: 9th Meeting of Therapy in Liver Diseases. 2011, Barcelona, Spain.
- Lochan R, Daly AK, Reeves HL, Charnley R. The role of tobacco derived carcinogens in pancreas cancer. ISRN Oncology 2011, 249235.
- Gray J, Chattopadhyay D, Beale GS, Patman GL, Miele L, King BP, Stewart S, Hudson M, Day CP, Manas DM, Reeves HL. A proteomic strategy to identify novel serum biomarkers for liver cirrhosis and hepatocellular cancer in individuals with fatty liver disease. BMC Cancer 2009, 9.
- Beale GS, Chattopadhyay D, Gray J, Stewart SF, Hudson M, Day CP, Trerotoli P, Giannelli G, Manas DM, Reeves HL. AFP, PIVKAII, GP3, SCCA-1 and follisatin as surveillance biomarkers for hepatocellular cancer in non-alcoholic and alcoholic fatty liver disease. BMC Cancer 2008, 8, 200.
- Llovet JM, Ricci S, Mazzaferro V, Hilgard P, Gane E, Blanc JF, de Oliveira AC, Santoro A, Raoul JL, Forner A, Schwartz M, Porta C, Zeuzem S, Bolondi L, Greten TF, Galle PR, Seitz JF, Borbath I, Häussinger D, Giannaris T, Shan M, Moscovici M, Voliotis D, Bruix J. Sorafenib in advanced hepatocellular cancer. N Engl J Med 2008, 359, 378-90.
- Miele L, Beale G, Patman G, Nobili V, Leathart J, Grieco A, Abate M, Friedman S, Narla G, Bugianesi E, Day C, Reeves H. The Kruppel-like factor 6 genotype is associated with fibrosis in nonalcoholic fatty liver disease. Gastroenterology 2008, 135(1), 282-291.
- Chattopadhyay D, Reeves HL. Oncogenes and tumour suppressor genes. In: Rodés, J.; Benhamou, J-P.; Blei, A.; Reichen, J.; Rizzetto, M, ed. Textbook of hepatology: from basic science to clinical practice. Malden, Mass: Blackwell, 2007, pp.391-397.
- Chattopadhyay D, Manas DM, Reeves HL. The development of targeted therapies for hepatocellular cancer. Current Pharmaceutical Design 2007, 13(32), 3292-3300.
- Narla G, DiFeo A, Reeves HL, Schaid DJ, Hirshfeld J, Hod E, Katz A, Isaacs WB, Hebbring S, Komiya A, McDonnell SK, Wiley KE, Jacobsen SJ, Isaacs SD, Walsh PC, Zheng SL, Chang BL, Friedrichsen DM, Stanford JL, Ostrander EA, Chinnaiyan AM, Rubin MA, Xu J, Thibodeau SN, Friedman SL, Martignetti JA. A germline DNA polymorphism enhances alternative splicing of the KLF6 tumor suppressor gene and Is associated with increased prostate cancer risk. Cancer Research 2005, 65(4), 1213-1222.
- Boyault, S., Hérault, A., Balabaud, C., Zucman-Rossi, J., Kremer-Tal, S., Reeves, H. L., Narla, G., Martignetti, J., Friedman, S. Absence of KLF6 gene mutation in 71 hepatocellular carcinomas: Reply. Hepatology 2005, 41(3), 681-683.
- Reeves HL, Bruix J. Management of hepatocellular cancer. In: Thomas, H.; Lemon, S.; Zuckerman, A, ed. Viral hepatitis. Malden, Mass: Blackwell, 2005, pp.740-754.
- Narla G, DiFeo A, Yao S, Banno A, Hod E, Reeves HL, Qiao RF, Camacho-Vanegas O, Levine A, Kirschenbaum A, Chan AM, Friedman SL, Martignetti JA. Targeted inhibition of the KLF6 splice variant, KLF6 SV1, suppresses prostate cancer cell growth and spread. Cancer Research 2005, 65(13), 5761-5768.
- Benzeno S, Narla G, Allina J, Cheng GZ, Reeves HL, Banck MS, Odin JA, Diehl JA, Germain D, Friedman SL. Cyclin-dependent kinase inhibition by the KLF6 tumor suppressor protein through interaction with cyclin D1. Cancer Research 2004, 64(11), 3885-3891.
- Kremer-Tal, S., Reeves, H. L., Narla, G., Thung, S., Schwartz, M., Difeo, A., Katz, A., Bruix, J., Bioulac-Sage, P., Martignetti, J., Friedman, S. Frequent inactivation of the tumor suppressor Kruppel-like factor 6 (KLF6) in hepatocellular carcinoma. Hepatology 2004, 40(5), 1047-1052.
- Reeves, H. L., Narla, G., Ogunbiyi, O., Haq, A., Katz, A., Benzeno, S., Hod, E., Harpaz, N., Goldberg, S., Tal-Kremer, S., Eng, F., Arthur, M., Martignetti, J., Friedman, S. Kruppel-like factor 6 (KLF6) is a tumor-suppressor gene frequently inactivated in colorectal cancer. Gastroenterology 2004, 126(4), 1090-1103.
- Reeves HL, Friedman SL. Activation of hepatic stellate cells: a key issue in liver fibrosis. Frontiers in Bioscience 2002, 7, 808-826.
- Narla G, Heath KE, Reeves HL, Li D, Giono LE, Kimmelman AC, Glucksman MJ, Narla J, Eng FJ, Chan AM, Ferrari AC, Martignetti JA, Friedman SL. KLF6, a candidate tumor suppressor gene mutated in prostate cancer. Science 2001, 294(5551), 2563-2566.
- Reeves, H. L., Dack, C. L., Peak, M., Burt, A. D., Day, C. P. Stress-activated protein kinases in the activation of rat hepatic stellate cells in culture. Journal of Hepatology 2000, 32(3), 465-472.
- Reeves, H. L., Thompson, M. G., Dack, C. L., Burt, A. D., Day, C. P. The role of phosphatidic acid in platelet-derived growth factor-induced proliferation of rat hepatic stellate cells. Hepatology 2000, 31(1), 95-100.
- Reeves, H. L., Francis, R. M., Manas, D. M., Hudson, M., Day, C. P. Intravenous bisphosphonate prevents symptomatic osteoporotic vertebral collapse in patients after liver transplantation. Liver Transplantation and Surgery 1998, 4(5), 404-409.
- Reeves HL, Dack C, Dack CP, Burt AD. Beta 1 integrin expression in hepatic stellate cells from normal and diseased human livers. In: Eighth International Symposium on Cells of the Hepatic Sinusoid. 1997, Bordeaux, France: Kupffer Cell Foundation.
- Reeves, H. L., Burt, A. D., Wood, S., Day, C. P. Hepatic stellate cell activation occurs in the absence of hepatitis in alcoholic liver disease and correlates with the severity of steatosis. Journal of Hepatology 1996, 25(5), 677-683.