Dr Rachel O'Donnell
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +44 (0)191 445 2445
- Fax: +44 (0)191 445 6192
- Address: Northern Institute for Cancer Research
Paul O’Gorman Building
Newcastle upon Tyne
Northern Gynaecological Oncology Centre
Gateshead Foundation NHS Trust
Queen Elizabeth Hospital
Education / Academic qualification
Doctor of Philosophy (PhD), University of Newcastle
Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MBChB), University of Edinburgh
Royal College of Obstetrics and Gynaecology
British Gynaecologic Cancer Society
British Society for Colposcopy and Cervical Pathology
European Society of Gynaecology Oncology
European Network of Young Gynae Oncologists
British Association for Cancer Research
European Association for Cancer Research
Associate Member American Association for Cancer Research
Rachel graduated from Edinburgh Medical School in 2005 and joined the South-East Scotland Obstetrics and Gynaecology training program in 2007. She transferred from Edinburgh to the Northern Gynaecological Oncology Centre in Gateshead in 2011 and completed her PhD in 2016 under the supervision of Professor Richard Edmondson and Professor Nicola Curtin.
Her research aims to identify novel therapeutic targets for ovarian cancer and in particular assess the impact of intra-tumoural heterogeneity on response to therapy and ultimately the implications for clinical investigation and management strategies. She is the chair for the Surgical Gynae Oncology Research Network (SGRN) coordinating multicentre collaborative projects and continues an active role in undergraduate and postgraduate teaching alongside sub-specialty surgical training at the Northern Gynecological Oncology Centre in Gateshead.
- Tomassini S, Gentles L, Kirk C, Cross P, Thomas H, Wedge S, Curtin NJ, O'Donnell RL. An investigation of the effect of tissue ischaemia upon DNA damage protein markers in ovarian cancer. In: BASO - The Association for Cancer Surgery Annual Scientific Conference and the NCRI Cancer Conference. 2017, Liverpool: Elsevier.
- McCormick A, Earp E, Elliot K, Cuthbert G, O'Donnell R, Wilson BT, Sutton R, Leeson C, Thomas HD, Blair H, Fordham S, Lunec J, Allan J, Edmondson RJ. Functional characterisation of a novel ovarian cancer cell line, NUOC-1. Oncotarget 2017, 8(16), 26832-26844.
- O'Donnell RL, Verleye L, Ratnavelu N, Galaal K, Fisher A, Naik R. Locally advanced vulva cancer: A single centre review of anovulvectomy and a systematic review of surgical, chemotherapy and radiotherapy alternatives. Is an international collaborative RCT destined for the “too difficult to do” box?. Gynecologic Oncology 2017, 144(2), 438-447.
- McCormick A, Donoghue P, Dixon M, O'Sullivan R, O'Donnell RL, Murray J, Kaufmann A, Curtin NJ, Edmondson RJ. Ovarian Cancers Harbour Defects in Non-Homologous End Joining Resulting in Resistance to Rucaparib. Clinical Cancer Research 2017, 23(8), 2050-2060.
- O'Donnell RL, Kaufmann A, Woodhouse L, McCormick A, Cross PA, Edmondson RJ, Curtin NJ. Advanced Ovarian Cancer Displays Functional Intratumor Heterogeneity That Correlates to Ex Vivo Drug Sensitivity. International Journal of Gynecological Cancer 2016, 26(6), 1004-1011.
- Bizzarri N, Ghirardi V, Rundle S, O'Donnell RL, Bradbury M, Kotsopoulos IC, Natsis S, Cross P, Naik R. Endometrioid adenocarcinoma of the rectovaginal septum arising within a focus of endometriosis. In: 16th Biennial Meeting of the International Gynecologic Cancer Society. 2016, Lisbon, Portugal: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.
- Dent BM, Ogle LF, O'Donnell RL, Hayes N, Mallick U, Curtin NJ, Boddy AV, Plummer ER, Edmondson RJ, Reeves HL, May FEB, Jamieson D. High-resolution imaging for the detection and characterisation of circulating tumour cells from patients with oesophageal, hepatocellular, thyroid and ovarian cancers. International Journal of Cancer 2016, 138(1), 206-216.
- O'Donnell RL, Clement KM, Edmondson RJ. Hormone replacement therapy after treatment for a gynaecological malignancy. Current Opinion in Obstetrics and Gynaecology 2016, 28(1), 32-41.
- Bizzarri N, Rundle S, Ghirardi V, O'Donnell RL, Bradbury M, Ozkose B, Kotsopoulos IC, Natsis S, Kucukmetin A. Laparoscopic management of FIGO stage IIIA2 ovarian carcinosarcoma with bulky pelvic lymphadenopathy and pelvic peritoneal involvement. In: 16th Biennial Meeting of the International Gynecologic Cancer Society. 2016, Lisbon, Portugal: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Ltd.
- Bizzarri N, Bradbury M, O'Donnell RL, Rundle S, Ghirardi V, Natsis S, Kotsopoulos IC, Ang C, Kucukmetin A, Fisher AD, Godfrey KA, Ratnavelu N, Naik R, Bhaumik J, Ghosh A, Chakraboti B, Helm CW, Mukhopadhyay A. Metastatic involvement of the lesser sac in advanced epithelial ovarian cancer. In: 16th Biennial Meeting of the International Gynecologic Cancer Society. 2016, Lisbon, Portugal: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Ltd.
- O'Donnell RL, Kaufman A, Woodhous L, McCormick A, Curtin NJ, Edmondson R. Intra- and inter-tumour heterogeneity in epithelial ovarian cancer: consequences for biomarker dependent stratification of therapies. BJOG 2015, 122, e1-e13.
- McCormick A, Earp E, Leeson C, Dixon M, O'Donnell R, Kaufman A, Edmondson R. Phosphatase and tensin homolog (PTEN) is a potential target for ovarian cancer sensitisation to cytotoxic agents. In: 19th International Meeting of the European Society of Gynecological Oncology (ESGO 2015). 2015, Nice, France: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.
- McCormick A, Earp E, Leeson C, Dixon M, O'Donnell R, Kaufmann A, Edmondson R. PTEN function is important in determining ovarian cancer sensitivity to cytotoxic agents. In: Annual Meeting of the Blair Bell Research Society 2015. 2015, Wiley-Blackwell.
- Patterson MJ, Sutton RJ, Forrest I, Sharrock R, Lane M, Kaufmann A, O'Donnell R, Edmondson R, Wilson BT, Curtin N. Assessing the function of homologous recombination DNA repair in malignant pleural effusion (MPE) samples. British Journal of Cancer 2014, 111(1), 94-100.
- Dent B, O'Donnell RL, Ogle LF, Rourke ED, Ramesh HP, Moat M, Hayes N, Mallick UK, May FE, Reeves HL, Curtain NJ, Edmondson RJ, Boddy AV, Plummer R, Jamieson D. Detection and characterization of circulating tumor cells by imaging flow cytometry. In: AACR Annual Meeting 2014. 2014, San Diego, CA: American Association for Cancer Research.
- Moat M, O'Donnell RL, McCluggage WG, Ralte A, Edmondson RJ. Gastric-type adenocarcinoma of the cervix in a patient with Lynch syndrome: A case report. Gynecologic Oncology Reports 2014, 10, 41-43.
- O'Donnell RL, McCormick A, Mukhopadhyay A, Woodhouse LC, Moat M, Grundy A, Dixon M, Kaufmann A, Soohoo S, Elattar A, Curtin NJ, Edmondson RJ. The Use of Ovarian Cancer Cells from Patients Undergoing Surgery to Generate Primary Cultures Capable of Undergoing Functional Analysis. PLoS ONE 2014, 9(3), e90604.
- O'Donnell RL, Murray JCC, Buskin AGB, Frame S, Blake DG, Dixon M, McCormick A, Kaufmann A, Plummer ER, Edmondson RJ, Curtin NJ. Therapeutic potential of sapacitabine in ovarian cancers defective in homologous recombination. In: CLINICAL CANCER RESEARCH. 2013, 615 CHESTNUT ST, 17TH FLOOR, PHILADELPHIA, PA 19106-4404 USA: AMER ASSOC CANCER RESEARCH.
- O'Donnell RL, Warner P, Lee RJ, Walker J, Bath LE, Kelnar CJ, Wallace WHB, Critchley HO. Physiological sex steroid replacement in premature ovarian failure: randomised crossover trial of effect on uterine volume, endometrial thickness and blood flow, compared with a standard regimen. Human Reproduction 2012, 27(3), 1130-8.