Newcastle University UK is a modern university with a rich tradition of scholarship, a proud record of service and a truly global alumni network.
Newcastle is a Russell Group University that consistently ranks in the top 20 in the UK for research power and student experience. It is the first UK University to establish a fully owned international branch campus for medicine and the biomedical sciences in Malaysia.
The Quality Assurance of Basic Medical Education (QABME) framework makes sure that standards in new and existing undergraduate and postgraduate medical education and training are being monitored, maintained, developed and approved. It ensures that the outcomes in new doctors are being met. Implementation and monitoring of the process is by evidence-based visits and receipt of an annual report from each school.
NUMed Malaysia’s MB BS also meets the UK’s Quality Assurance Agency’s (QAA) Code of Practice and is in alignment with QAA subject benchmarks. The last QAA review took place in 2016. The QAA commended our management of academic standards and quality of learning by giving us a 'judgement of confidence' – the highest rating available.
Quality governance of the programme is also overseen by the Malaysian Medical Council (MMC) and the Malaysian Qualifications Agency.
NUMed Malaysia is fully recognised by both the General Medical Council (GMC) and the MMC. NUMed Malaysia adopts the published guidance on UK medical education delivered outside the UK available on the General Medical Council website.
Five plus QS Stars
Newcastle has become one of only 18 universities in the world, and only two in the UK to achieve five plus QS Stars from QS Quacquarelli Symonds, the first international assessment of its kind. More than 150 universities in over 35 countries have now signed up to the QS Stars rating system.
The Stars system rates universities against a number of performance indicators as set against pre-established international standards.
We are proud to have been awarded five stars in the following areas:
- Specialist Criteria
A testament to the quality is that in 2015, Newcastle University was confirmed as one of the leading universities for medicine in the world by the Leiden Ranking – a highly respected international ranking of research performance. It placed our Faculty of Medical Sciences in the top 50 in the world for biomedical and health sciences.
We are among the best British universities for medicine in The Times/Sunday Times Good University Guide 2017 and The Complete University Guide 2018.
We ranked 7th in the UK for overall student satisfaction, with a score of 95% in the National Student Survey 2016.
Our research ranked 9th overall in the UK in the ‘Clinical Medicine’ category (Research Excellence Framework 2014).
We're also in the top 150 universities in the world in the QS World University Rankings by Subject 2017.
Highlights of this degree
Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery
Medicine at Newcastle is consistently one of the most highly regarded medical degrees in the UK.
The excellence of our programmes has been confirmed by the General Medical Council (GMC).
We are ranked:
- 5th in the UK - The Guardian University Guide 2019
- 7th in the UK - The Times/Sunday Times Good University Guide 2019
- top 125 - Clinical, Pre-Clinical and Health Category - Times Higher Education World University Rankings by Subject 2018
- top 150 - Medicine category - QS World University Rankings by Subject 2018
- 95% overall student satisfaction score - National Student Survey 2018
- 9th in the UK - Research Excellence Framework 2014 (Clinical Medicine category)
Biomedical Sciences BSc Honours
We are a National Centre of Excellence in biomedical research.
- 8th in the UK in The Times/Sunday Times Good University Guide 2018 (Subjects Allied to Medicine category)
- top 20 in the UK for student satisfaction (93% overall student satisfaction score) in the 2017 National Student Survey (Subjects Allied to Medicine category)
- top 125 universities in the world in the Times Higher Education World University Rankings by subject 2018 (Clinical, pre-clinical & Health category)
Teaching Excellence Framework
In 2017, Newcastle University was awarded Gold status in the Teaching Excellence Framework. This is the highest quality level in the UK that recognises our consistently outstanding:
- Teaching Quality
- Learning Environment
- Student Outcomes