Dr Adam Todd
Reader in Pharmaceutical Public Health
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 2355
Adam Todd is a Reader in Pharmaceutical Public Health at Newcastle University. He is a qualified pharmacist registered with the General Pharmaceutical Council. He was previously a Senior Lecturer at Durham University where he held the roles of MPharm Programme Director, Director of Education, and Deputy Director of the Centre of Health and Inequalities Research (CHIR).
Adam is actively involved in delivering the MPharm Programme at Newcastle; he approaches pharmacy education in an integrated way, and combines both science and practice elements in his teaching. Using this integrated approach, Adam has published two international books (Wiley) exploring the use of antibacterial and anticancer agents in clinical practice.
He is an academic member of the General Pharmaceutical Council Accreditation and Recognition Panel and also contributes to the national pharmacist registration exam in his role as a question writer.
His research is highly interdisciplinary, and uses methods from the social sciences, public health, clinical medicine, and epidemiology. He is an academic editor for PLOS ONE, and a member of the NIHR RfPB regional advisory panel for the North East and Cumbria.
In 2014, he led a research team that explored healthcare access of community pharmacy; the research showed that community pharmacy access is greatest in the most deprived areas - a term that was later called the ‘positive pharmacy care law’. This research has underpinned the developed of many community pharmacy public health services in the UK. A current research project, an NIHR-funded trial, CHEMIST (Community pHarmaciEs Mood Intervention Study), seeks to build on this work, and explore how community pharmacies can be used to deliver psychological support to people with subthreshold depression.
He was a key collaborator of the HiNEWS project (Health Inequalities in European Welfare States) along with academic partners from York (UK), Siegen (Germany), Harvard (US), and Trondheim (Norway).
Adam is also interested in rational use of medicines; specifically, his research focuses on optimising medication in vulnerable populations, such as in older adults, or those with life limiting illness. He is part of an international group of researchers that seek to reduce inappropriate medication use and polypharmacy. He is involved in a number of international collaborative projects in this area, with academics from Australia (Sydney), Sweden (Karolinska Institutet), and the US (Texas).
He still contributes to the care of patients on a regular basis; he is an honorary consultant pharmacist and works alongside the palliative care Multidisciplinary Team providing guidance on (de)prescribing; he also works as a community pharmacist delivering public health interventions to the local community.
- Steed L, Sohanpal R, James WY, Rivas C, Jumbe S, Chater A, Todd A, Edwards E, Macneil V, Macfarlane F, Greenhalgh T, Griffiths C, Eldridge S, Taylor S, Walton R. Equipping community pharmacy workers as agents for health behaviour change: developing and testing a theory-based smoking cessation intervention. BMJ Open 2017, 7, e015637.
- Rathbone AP, Todd A, Jamie K, Bonam M, Banks L, Husband AK. A systematic review and thematic synthesis of patients’ experience of medicines adherence. Research in Social and Administrative Pharmacy 2017, 13(3), 403-439.
- Fjær EL, Balaj M, Stornes P, Todd A, McNamara CL, Eikemo TA. Exploring the differences in general practitioner and health care specialist utilization according to education, occupation, income and social networks across Europe: findings from the European social survey (2014) special module on the social determinants of health. European Journal of Public Health 2017, 27(suppl_1), 73-81.
- Lindsey L, Husband AK, Steed L, Walton R, Todd A. Helpful advice and hidden expertise: pharmacy users' experience of community pharmacy accessibility. Journal of Public Health 2017, 39(3), 609-615.
- Todd A, Husband A, Andrew I, Pearson S, Lindsey L, Holmes H. Inappropriate prescribing of preventative medication in patients with life-limiting illness: a systematic review. BMJ Supportive & Palliative Care 2017, 7(2), 113-121.
- Hillier-Brown F, Bambra C, Thomson K, Balaj M, Walton N, Todd A. The effects of community pharmacy public health interventions on population health and health inequalities: a systematic review of reviews protocol. Systematic Reviews 2017, 6, 176.
- Holmes HM, Todd A. The Role of Patient Preferences in Deprescribing. Clinics in Geriatric Medicine 2017, 33(2), 165-175.
- Dewhurst F, Baker L, Andrew I, Todd A. Blood pressure evaluation and review of antihypertensive medication in patients with life limiting illness. International Journal of Clinical Pharmacy 2016, 38(5), 1044-1047.
- Brown TJ, Todd A, O'Malley CL, Moore HJ, Husband AK, Bambra C, Kasim A, Sniehotta FF, Steed L, Summerbell CD. Community pharmacy interventions for public health priorities: a systematic review of community pharmacy-delivered smoking, alcohol and weight management interventions. Public Health Research 2016, 4(2), 1-155.
- Brown TJ, Todd A, O'Malley C, Moore HJ, Husband AK, Bambra C, Kasim A, Sniehotta FF, Steed L, Smith S, Nield L, Summerbell CD. Community pharmacy-delivered interventions for public health priorities: a systematic review of interventions for alcohol reduction, smoking cessation and weight management, including meta-analysis for smoking cessation. BMJ Open 2016, 6(2), e009828.
- Akinbolade O, Husband A, Forrest S, Todd A. Deprescribing in advanced illness. Progress in Palliative Care 2016, 24(5), 268-271.
- Todd A, Holmes H, Pearson S, Hughes C, Andrew I, Baker L, Husband A. 'I don't think I'd be frightened if the statins went': A phenomenological qualitative study exploring medicines use in palliative care patients, carers and healthcare professionals. BMC Palliative Care 2016, 15(1), 13.
- Alabi A, Todd A, Husband AK, Reilly JG. Safety profile of lamotrigine in overdose. Therapeutic Advances in Psychopharmacology 2016, 6(6), 369-381.
- Thomson K, Bambra C, McNamara C, Huijits T, Todd A. The effects of public health policies on population health and health inequalities in European welfare states: protocol for an umbrella review. Systematic Reviews 2016, 5, 57.
- Rathbone AP, Husband AK, Todd A, Jamie K. "I've never been a big tablet taker": a phenomenology of the experiences of medicines adherence in men with diabetes. In: 59th Annual Scientific Meeting of the Society for Social Medicine. 2015, Dublin: BMJ Group.
- Nazar H, Nazar Z, Portlock J, Todd A, Slight SP. A systematic review of the role of community pharmacies in improving the transition from secondary to primary care. British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology 2015, 80(5), 936-948.
- Todd A, Copeland A, Husband A, Kasim A, Bambra C. Access all areas? An area-level analysis of accessibility to general practice and community pharmacy services in England by urbanity and social deprivation. BMJ Open 2015, 5(5), e007328.
- Firth H, Todd A, Bambra C. Benefits and barriers to the public health pharmacy: a qualitative exploration of providers’ and commissioners’ perceptions of the Healthy Living Pharmacy Framework. Perspectives in Public Health 2015, 135(5), 251-256.
- Holmes HM, Todd A. Evidence-based deprescribing of statins in patients with advanced illness. JAMA Internal Medicine 2015, 175(5), 701-702.
- Lindsey L, Husband A, Nazar H, Todd A. Promoting the early detection of cancer: A systematic review of community pharmacy-based education and screening interventions. Cancer Epidemiology 2015, 39(5), 673-681.
- Todd A, Holmes HM. Recommendations to support deprescribing medications late in life. International Journal of Clinical Pharmacy 2015, 37(5), 678-681.
- Badenhorst J, Todd A, Lindsey L, Ling J, Husband A. Widening the scope for early cancer detection: identification of alarm symptoms by community pharmacies. International Journal of Clinical Pharmacy 2015, 37(3), 465-470.
- Steed L, Kassavou A, Madurasinghe VW, Edwards EA, Todd A, Summerbell CD, Nkansah N, Bero L, Durieux P, Taylor SJC, Rivas C, Walton RT. Community pharmacy interventions for health promotion: effects on professional practice and health outcomes. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2014, (7), CD011207.
- Badenhorst J, Husband A, Ling J, Lindsey L, Todd A. Do patients with cancer alarm symptoms present at the community pharmacy?. In: Royal Pharmaceutical Society Annual Conference 2014. 2014, ICC Birmingham UK: John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
- Todd A, Nazar H, Pearson S, Andrew I, Baker L, Husband A. Inappropriate prescribing in patients accessing specialist palliative day care services. International Journal of Clinical Pharmacy 2014, 36(3), 535-543.
- Husband AK, Todd A, Fulton J. Integrating science and practice in pharmacy curricula. American Journal of Pharmaceutical Education 2014, 78(3), 63.
- Smith S, Todd A, Whisson S, Summerbell C. Is a community pharmacy led weight management service effective? A mixed methods service evaluation. In: UK Congress on Obesity 2014. 2014, Birmingham, UK: Elsevier BV.
- Todd A, Husband AK, Hurren A, Kler S, Ling J. Patients using antifungals following laryngectomy: A qualitative study of community pharmacists in the North of England. International Journal of Pharmacy Practice 2014, 22(3), 193-199.
- Todd A, Copeland A, Husband A, Kasim A, Bambra C. The positive pharmacy care law: an area-level analysis of the relationship between community pharmacy distribution, urbanity and social deprivation in England. BMJ Open 2014, 4(8), e005764.
- Todd A, Groundwater PW, Gill JH. Anticancer Therapeutics: From Drug Discovery to Clinical Applications. Wiley-Blackwell, 2018.
- Thomson K, Hillier-Brown F, Todd A, McNamara C, Huijits T, Bambra C. The effects of public health policies on health inequalities - a review of reviews. In: Lancet Public Health Conference. 2017, London, UK.
- Rathbone AP, Husband AK, Todd A, Jamie K. PP53 “I’ve never been a big tablet taker”: a phenomenology of the experiences of medicines adherence in men with diabetes. Journal of Epidemiology & Community Health 2015, 69(Suppl. 1), A75-A76.
- Thomson K, Hillier-Brown F, McNamarra C, Todd A, Huijits T, Bambra C. The effects of public health policies on health inequalities in high-income countries: an umbrella review. BMC Public Health 2019, 18, 869.
- Okeowo D, Patterson A, Boyd C, Reeve E, Gnjidic D, Todd A. Clinical practice guidelines for older people with multi-morbidity and life limiting illness: what are the implications for deprescribing?. Therapeutic Advances in Drug Safety 2018. In Press.
- Todd A, Thomson K, Kasim A, Bambra C. Cutting care clusters: the creation of an inverse pharmacy care law? An area level analysis exploring the clustering of community pharmacies in England. BMJ Open 2018. In Press.
- Todd A, Akhter N, Cairns JM, Ellison A, Chazo P, Kasim A, Eldabe S, Bambra C. The Pain Divide: A cross-sectional analysis of chronic pain prevalence, pain intensity, and opioid utilisation in England. BMJ Open 2018. In Press.